[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Van Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 17

File: 261079.jpg (126KB, 1000x572px) Image search: [Google]
261079.jpg
126KB, 1000x572px
Is it worth it?

I change my mind so often that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do. Up until I was 15 I wanted to be a soldier, then I started thinking about things and removed my red badge of courage. These last three years I've been toying with ideas such as an animator, artist, archaeologist, astronomer, entomologist, zoologist, the list goes on and on.

I question van life because through all of my deluded aspirations, the wild always calls. I'm young, and it's obvious that the "life" people want for me is full of misery. They make memes and shit about how their life is falling apart, well I'd rather die of frost on the side of a desert road due to engine failure than suffer through my 9-5.

Perhaps I'm a coward, but what are you gonna do, judge me?
>>
>>801485
>archaeologist, astronomer, entomologist, zoologist, the list goes on and on.
you should probably go to school if you want to be any of those things
>>
File: 1412402428700.jpg (833KB, 3136x4608px) Image search: [Google]
1412402428700.jpg
833KB, 3136x4608px
I wish vans were cheaper here in straya
>>
OP if you're a photographer or something, it'll be awesome. Just some lifestyle and hobbies that would compliment van life.

I plan to do similar shit, maybe not for life but for a long long time. Sadly vans aren't too affordable in NZ :/
>>
>>801492
School doesn't teach life, and like I said I change my mind constantly. I don't want to be any of those things anymore. But I will next week.

>>801506
>>801515
I feel bad for you guys, I'm sure I'll have no problem getting a good van here in US. Photography was another consideration.
>>
>>801526
The key is to stop giving a fuck and act on your dreams - and If they just dont work out trash them and move on.
Even if thats all you do in life, someday you'll be happier than a good portion of humanity
>>
>>801526
What I am saying is. Just TRY to be a photographer, just use your phone to snap photos - try to be creative, gather the best moments consequently.

Learn about Animals, learn about stars and star formations. I too have the "issue" of beeing interessted in many things but not just one theme.

Maybe something creative is your place, something where you can forge all your ideas into a story?
I hope you have friends and I hope you try beeing creative without waiting for someone to teach you

goodspeed
>>
>>801526
to be honest you sound like a gigantic asshole. School may not teach life but all of these jobs require you to do more than just live, either go to school or learn a trade so that you can be nomadic. Even bums in the old days used to know how to do things like weld, paint, construction, etc to keep them going.
>>
File: tumblr_o8ul2wKKQX1qdezf9o1_500.gif (902KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8ul2wKKQX1qdezf9o1_500.gif
902KB, 450x338px
>>801530
That's the plan

>>801534
Yeah I did for a while and I was pretty good at it, but (and not to sound arrogant) I'm pretty good at anything I try. That's what makes it harder, because I know I can actually do anything. (It's really hard not to sound arrogant). I do study all that I can, animals, stars, mainly science. But I know I can't just sit at home studying, I'll starve to death. And I can't just work at McDonalds, I have to choose work I enjoy. I am an artist, but I don't want to be one.

>>801550
It's fine I understand, I get that a lot. I try to be humble and shit but it doesn't work so whatever. Like I said, I'm an artist, I think that might do well. People are a lot more narcissistic than they think, they love to be drawn.
>>
>>801574
post art pics, I'm interested. or pics you've taken
>>
File: IMG_20160625_213243559.jpg (842KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_213243559.jpg
842KB, 1456x2592px
>>801586
I deleted all my pics on my phone, and I'm too lazy to upload from my camera, but I'm happy to share art.
>>
File: IMG_20160625_213359725.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_213359725.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>801605
I don't draw as often as I should.
>>
File: IMG_20160625_213433952.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_213433952.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>801607
I really need a scanner
>>
>>801608
>>801607
>>801605
yeah dude I wouldn't bank on art being your thing. You're decent but you'd have to really be pinching pennies to survive on it.
>>
>>801605
>>801607
>>801608
refine your skill a bit then become a tattoo artist
>>
>>801626
Well I've yet to take it seriously, these are only sketches. Older ones at that.
>>
>>801634
dude honest to god you sound like an assclown. You sound like another case of "Into the Wild" waiting to happen. You're the artistic equivalent of "Oh I am so smart but I'm too lazy to apply myself which is why all of my peers are better off than me."

Either fuck off and get your van and go broke within the year and come back and be a pizza hut driver, or actually do something that will allow you to bs your way through life.

And also, it's not cool to not care about anything. Act like you give a shit about something. Be passionate about anything. Just stop being the way you are as a human
>>
>>801658
>Chris was unprepared
>I'm not too lazy to apply myself, I just don't know what to apply for

>Why the fuck would I want to bullshit my way through life

>I'm not trying to be cool
>I'm passionate about many things and that's very apparent to the people I know
>Sorry I'm not like you
>>
>>801684
You're unprepared. You have no plan and I'm assuming a very limited amount of money. You even said yourself you'd rather die of frost on the side of a desert road due to engine failure. You know who that happens to? Unprepared people.

And also, Van life is for people who bullshit their way through life. You don't see people hopping out of their van, kissing their wife goodbye and walking to their 9-5. If you're a transient person there's a 99% chance you're bullshitting your way through life.

I don't care that you're not like me, but >>801574 in particular shows that you're coming up with excuses for your inaction. Nobody gives a shit that you have the artist mentality, or that everything you've ever done has been easy, or that you just have all of these interests and can't pick one to pursue. Just fucking nut up and do something, anything. You've what, graduated high school? Congrats, you've done the most basic par-for-the-course human thing you can do. Roll a die, flip a coin, just pick something to do that's actually worth anything, and do it.
>>
File: tumblr_lhod8u2qky1qgm9nwo1_500.gif (465KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lhod8u2qky1qgm9nwo1_500.gif
465KB, 500x350px
>>801719
Of course I'm unprepared, I made this thread asking if people thought it was a good idea. That doesn't mean I'm going to leave as soon as someone says, "sure".

In your words, you said that bullshitting my way through is the alternative to van life, "Either fuck off and get your van...or actually do something that will allow you to bs your way though life." And the life you described involving a 9-5 isn't something I want. Not just because of the job, but because I don't want mundane.

My 'excuse' is that I don't know what to do. I like to have a plan, even if that plan involves improvisation. I just want to know where to start. I don't understand how you expect me to flip a coin and let that decide how I live. Is that what you consider life? As we all know, consciousness is finite, I'd prefer to enjoy myself rather than have a life with a foundation of fuck-its.
>>
>>801485
I think you should just pick a thing that you like, and follow it through. Worst case scenario is that it's not 100% what you want, in which case you will have at least narrowed down what you want and gotten more experience too.

Live your life now, don't wait around for life to happen to you. Doing nothing will be just as mundane as a 9-5.
>>
Going to school and racking up massive student debt when you have no idea what you want to do is idiotic.

Get a van and some tools anon, make it cool and see the world while you have no commitments
>>
File: CVQCcmdVAAAdxxI_0.jpg (50KB, 600x665px) Image search: [Google]
CVQCcmdVAAAdxxI_0.jpg
50KB, 600x665px
when i run out of money and have to get an office job i plan on still living in an suv

fuck the system and fuck traffic; ill sleep in a parking garage and hang out at cyber cafes and bars and just drive off when i need.

no rent? free internet? wowow save 3k every month and just travel again.
>>
Fuck sake how many of these threads do we need?
>>
>>801819
Why don't you just become a merchant mariner and make six figures plus have six months vacation?
>>
>>801819
It's a lot of hassle. A lot of places want you to have permanent addresses so you'll have to make regular trips to a PO box. It's harder to find a wife, you cant really house friends. While this isn't a problem for a lot of /out/, it won't work for your normal citizen.

Also you aren't allowed to sleep in your car in a lot of parking lots due to safety concerns so look out for that.
>>
>>801485
Totally worth it.
>>
>>802036
Wrong on every count. You fags never cease to amaze with your lack of experience and shit thought process.
>>
Do navy or cg.

Been in 10 years. Live in truck bed camper. Have 200 saved up. I love life.
>>
>>802377
Srry 200k*
>>
Go ahead and do it.
If you decide its not for you or you fail because whatever reason, then go do something else.
>>
>>802351
I lived in a van for 2 years numnuts, I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>803649
Then you did it wrong you poor, stupid bastard.
>>
>>801485
>Van Life

Ive been living in my car for about 3 months and I dont regret leaving my over priced apartment, the owners would justify jacking the rent up every time I signed a lease or leaving my shitty 70+hr a week job. One min wage check will cover all my bills and most of my food/water needs. The rest goes into saving. But I dont drive very much so that helps. I spent a month in california and the south west, which was awesome. Im saving up for a van right now.

I would highly suggest that you try it out for a week or two before go all in. Its not easy and its not for everyone.

>>802036
>It's harder to find a wife
>getting married in the 21st century.
gtfo.
>>
Don't Vans have really bad MPG though?

Also how can you make money living in your van? Not having a permanent residence kind of makes employment impossible.
>>
>>804244
>Not having a permanent residence kind of makes employment impossible.

You use a family or friends address if possible. If not possible you use your old address and have your mail forward to a PO Box.
>>
File: 4x4.jpg (799KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4x4.jpg
799KB, 2048x1536px
>>804244

just use someone elses residence, my girlfriend lived with her brother before she moved in with me and she still gets her mail sent there

if you want something with better MPG just get a 22RE Toyota pickup with a small camper on the back, ive got one on my 6.0L 3/4 ton 4x4 Silverado, even then mileage isnt too horrible

i use it for roadtrips or camping in the boonies, its comfy/10
>>
>>804222
>IT'S 2016 GUYS
Getting married is neither a worse or better idea today than it was during the course of our history. If you get into the wrong marriage it will ruin your life. If you get a good marriage it will improve your life. Some people will never find a good marriage even if they want one. It's always been like that.
>>
>>804244
>Don't Vans have really bad MPG though?
Get a diesel. In 5 or so years you'll start to see off-lease hybrid trucks and vans that get commuter-car MPG. You don't have to drive constantly, and if you have a full-time office job you can park nearby or in your work parking lot to save the commute.

>Also how can you make money living in your van? Not having a permanent residence kind of makes employment impossible.
All residences are impermanent. A moving house is just as permanent as a fixed one. What you need is a mailing address for official documents.

How you make money depends on what kinds of skills you have. I would suggest a high paying job that can be done over the internet and takes up only a few hours a week. If you ever find something like that, tell me about it.
>>
>>804329

>All residences are impermanent so let's live in a cardboard box
>>
>>804457
Honestly, if I could still get laid in it, I probably would shack up in a decent sized cardboard box in the drier months...
>>
>>804285

chevy and toyota bro returns
>>
>>801896
This is exactly what I do. On leave atm, travelling in Kyrgyzstan. Feels good.
>>
>>804319
>It's always been like that.
no, the sense of security you used to be able to get from a marriage is long gone. there are maybe one or two unimportant benefits to marriage nowadays and dozens of reasons for guys to avoid it like the plague. there's no longer a need to bet half your shit on someone's fickle understanding of 'till death do us part' as the chances of losing that bet are much higher today.

better to just partner up and leave finances out of it, especially if you're a kid trying to figure out van living by inquiring on an iroquois bead stringing board.
>>
>>806944
You know this from your 100s of years of life right? Mgtow pls go. There are worthwhile women out there still. Just so happens most guys are fucking useless and most chicks are nasty skanks.
>>
>>806926 can I ask how old you are?
>>
>>807142
>what is statistics
>HURRR THERE IS ALWAYS GOOD PEOPLES ANON
if you're suggesting that the divorce rate was close to 50% several decades ago, you're even more of a fucking retard than I thought.
>>
i got a van for the van life last week
>>
>>807216
25, why?
>>
>>807379
What kind?
>>
File: trucklife.jpg (260KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
trucklife.jpg
260KB, 2048x1152px
do van life,

-end up working odd jobs on the music fesitval circuit.
-have a life full of awesome friends, music, drugs, sex, art etc.
-live in nature & beauty spots whenever you want.
-have outdoor hobbies
-be happiest you can be.

fucking go for it anon
>>
>>807338
Have fun never finding anyone and blaming society for it faggot. Divorce rates are higher because we let meth heads get married 20 fucking times and all you autistic faggots have no idea what youre doing. Once again, mgtow pls go, and fuck yourself while youre at it you flaming faggot.
>>
>>807761

Listen here you raging vulva don't you ever as in fucking NEVER talk to me like again. And I'm dead damn ass serious. Don't do that shit again.
>>
>>807837
Stfu faggot
>>
>>807844

What the heck did you just say to me you lil bitch?
>>
>>807852
You are the little bitch
>>
>>807741
What model of vehicle is that?
>>
>>807761
>things haven't changed, except they have
>le mtgow maymay OLOLOLO
have fun being a massively retarded shit-eater who can't make an argument without contradicting yourself, you blithering fucking moron.
>>
>>807953
Like i give a fuck what you think of my arguments bitch boy, im busy fucking my super badass wife and making life my bitch. Have fun being a NEET ya fag
>>
>>807999
no one cares since you never had an argument to begin with, shithead.
>>
If you like condensation
>>
>>801485
Honestly, no I won't judge you.

As a seasonal worker and occasional vehicle dweller I've realized that 90% of people would be miserable in this lifestyle. The highs are high, but the lows are low. It's full of uncertainty and can be very psychologically taxing.

Give it a try. If you're one of the 10% who can do it you'll love it, if you're not at least you'll get a good story out of it.
>>
>>807837
>Don't talk to me or my wife's boyfriend's cairn ever again
>>
>>804457
you know that's not what was said

there are problems with living in a cardboard box but a cardboard box doesn't have magical properties preventing you from working
>>
File: camp1.jpg (732KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
camp1.jpg
732KB, 2048x1536px
>>806908

that i do, me and the girl took the Chevy into the mountains for Canada day last weekend stopping in Jasper etc. first time staying at wal mart parking lots multiple nights, managers said go for it and i was able to run my generator and everything
>>
File: camp2.jpg (656KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
camp2.jpg
656KB, 2048x1536px
>>809057
>>
File: camp3.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
camp3.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>809059

ran into this guy in Hinton, towing a huge 5th wheeler with a semi lol
>>
>>801530
This. Wife and I just bought an rv trailer and found a spot innawoods after talking and talking and talking. Solar panels get here Thursday. So happy. Do it.
>>
>>802377

>do navy

fuck. that. If you wanna do boat life work for a cruise. You won't make a lot (won't in the navy either), will still have awful boat work/life, but at least you'll be able to drink booze and settle down with a nice filipina for the duration of your contract
>>
>>806926
American? I've been sailing for 8 years after graduating from USMMA. Would never do anything else.
>>
File: 1456840862829.gif (161KB, 592x592px) Image search: [Google]
1456840862829.gif
161KB, 592x592px
>>809074
sure my goy, spend your time and energy earning money then spend your time, energy and money to be noticed by a few girls so that they let you try to make them cum, like they let dozens of boys beforehand and they will let dozens afterwards.
>>
>>801530
this is solid advice.

never be afraid of failure, failing is how we learn to succeed.
>>
>>807702
Sounds like a good job, what are the requirements?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.