[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpack size

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (848KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
848KB, 2592x1936px
How big a backpack do you really need? I was looking at a British army Bergen for trips of three days to a week, but is a 100l excessive? How big a pack do you carry and for how many days /out/?
>>
Depends on what you pack but 100l, for me is far too much. I have done 10 hike with a 40l backpack in the past.

I would say 60/75l is the sweet spot for a week trip.
>>
100L for three days in the UK is kind of excessive. You don't have any major weather extremes to pack for, nor do you have to haul something like a bear can around.

I'd say you could be well served with a 65L pack for three days.

I've heard good things and bad things about the Bergen. I suspect that you'd be happier with a modern civilian pack though, as military gear tends to be designed with mission requirements in mind that won't really fit your needs, and they also tend to be designed for extreme durability more than comfort. They'll also tend to be heavier than civilian kit, as a grunt carrying 150lbs of gear isn't going to moan because his empty pack is 8lbs instead of 5lbs.
>>
>is a 100l excessive?
yes. i just upgraded my 45 for a 75, but i only went that big because i haul climbing gear to the backcountry and wanted the heavier suspension, and in the next few years i'm going to need extra room to pack stuff for my kids.
>>
It's all about how prepared you want to be

You could probably camp a week with nothing
>>
>>800949
>>800951
>>800957
Do any of you have good recommendations around that pack size? The main reason I was co soldering milsurp in general is because it's cheap. Most 80L packs I've looked at have been well over £100 whereas the Bergen goes for as low as £35 on eBay.
>>
I've done tenths 4 to 6 days hiking trip with a 65l so yeah 100 is probably too much.
Oh and I don't think you should buy cheap stuff from milsurp on the Internet, most of the time they're shit stuff that no army in the world would ever use
>>
100L? Are you trying to make a fool out of yourself?

More than 70L for any kind of hike/trek is excessive.
>>
>>801201
Of course not, you can definitely use 100l (or more) it all depend on the condition of your trail.
3 days in warm weather with no chance of rain is different from 10 days in Siberia during winter
>>
>>801198
There is a reason that milsurp packs are cheap. They're heavy and uncomfortable compared to something modern and commercial. 100L is obscene and only someone going on a long expedition (read: not someone who would ask 4chan for pack advice) would need that kind of capacity.

Splash out for something like an Osprey in the 60-70L region. It'll be super comfy, not too heavy, and durable with an amazing warranty.

You'll just want to replace the milsurp after a while so don't bother, just save up.
>>
File: Osprey-Atmos-AG-65.jpg (166KB, 825x510px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey-Atmos-AG-65.jpg
166KB, 825x510px
>>801198
>Do any of you have good recommendations around that pack size?

Osprey Atmos 65
>>
>>801201
>>801234
Furthermore, some of us, sometimes, carry for more than just ourselves.
>>
>>801403
Do you carry your child to multiple day treks? Sounds odd to me.
>>
>>801412
No, but I'd rather take 5-10 kg's off my gf so that we hike in the same pace and she can handle the 10-12 hour days.
self admittedly I tend to carry some luxuries others wouldn't. which adds to the weight and space.
>>
>>801240
They are way cheaper though, too. I've already dropped around £250 on kit for something I might not potentially like. The pack>>801242 recommended for example goes for £160. Lots of dosh for a student.
>>
Do you guys think I can do a week hike with a 35L bag? With practice and skill of course
>>
>>801508
It's well worth it. The comfort differences are significant.
Buying a pack is not just putting money into a peace of gear, it's investing in something that would serve you for years, easily over a decade if you're the average hiker that takes care of his backpack.

>>801565
Has little to do with practice and skill and more to do with:
weather
abundance of water sources on the trail
resupply?
Quality of your gear and how small it can pack
How frugal you're willing to be.
>>
Warm weather: Overnighter 55l, up to a week 70l

Cold weather: Overnighter 70l, up to a week, 85l

Depends on your gear, YOUR size, and your calorific intake.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_151758.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_151758.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
It depends on your stamina and conditioning, not size.

Volume doesn't really matter either, you don't have to fill it all the way up.

I found my limit at 78lb pack in snowshoes at 9700 feet elevation
>>
>>801242
Do you have the AG? Do you enjoy it? I have an Atmos 50 and I'm looking at getting either a ULA circuit or an Atmos 65 AG for a thru hike. I know the Atmos is heavier but if the AG is really that nice, I think it would be worth the extra weight.
>>
>>801565
It all depend on where you plan to sleep and how you plan to eat. If you're 100% solo for a week I don't think you can do it, because food and water takes a lot of room, also you can't really predict the weather for a week (depending on where you are I guess) so you need jackets and stuff.
>>
>>800945
>How big a backpack do you really need?
whatever out says +15
I was looking at a British army Bergen for trips of three days to a week, but is a 100l excessive?
depends on how much luxury you want.but for three days i would say thats total overkill, but every bag is different.
How big a pack do you carry and for how many days /out/?
60L for everythang but day trips. mostly because- i only have one framed bag.
>>
>>802901
man i cant green text for shit.
>>
>>801565
I've done 3 days with a rush 12 (24 litres) it would be tough but I would expect doable. I had hammock tarp and sleeping bag outside the pack. For water I had two 32oz Gatorade bottles and a Katadyn hiker filter. I knew I would easily find water. Food took up a lot of room in my pack but I pack easy to cook relatively bulky food.
The trick would be ensuring it will be warm (around 60-70 at night), how much you can strap on the outside of your pack, if water is available, and how much you will spend on gear. One other problem is most packs that are small don't have the suspension for heavier pack loads so you might end up with sore shoulders. You can do it just pack smart unless you can't find water. If you can't obtain water where you are going then it's a plain no you cant.
>>
>>802901
Would 60l be adequate for a week in a temperate climate? Also what pack do you use?
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 634x633px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 634x633px
I have this its 75 and weights about 40 pounds with all the dog food on it it's comfortable
>>
>>803033
Does yours squeak? I have that exact pack and another Osprey pack with the AG system. Both squeak with every fucking step I take and I can't seem to stop it. Well fucking annoying man. To the point where I wouldn't buy another Osprey pack that had the AG back system.

To answer the OP's question, yes. 100l's is way too excessive. You could get away with 30-40l or 65l is you have a lot/bulky kit and a few luxuries.
>>
>>803025
60 should work. I have a red cloud 90 which is plenty for pretty much everything. I like it because it's easy to tighten down the straps so it isn't bulky. The suspension on it is super comfy.
>>
>>803025
I use a banchee 65 cuz I get the pro dilly on tnf stuff.

Honestly man if you don't know what works for a week you're not ready for a week just yet. Try a 2 nighter with a 50-60 (which will be overkill but you can grow into it) and write down what you forgot and what you don't need. Work out from there. Eventually you might be able to be that guy who says he can do a week in a 35 or you can end up like me and want to bring along the little luxuries.
>>
I'm going on my first overnight backpacking trip tomorrow, only 1 night but still. I'm very excited. I am just using a approx 20L jansport I had around. It just barely fits everything. It weighs about 10 lbs before the weight of water, will probably take around 3L since I don't trust to find water clean enough to drink even with filter and tabs. I will let you guys know how it works out. I am kind of scared of the dark, is it bad to rely on only a head lamp? I have a flashlight I could take but it won't fit inside the backpack and it's heavy as shit because it's a maglite.
>>
>>803242
all this bait in one post...

trying too hard anon.
>>
>>803245
>it isn't even bait

t-thanks I guess
>>
>>803252
i still think you're lying, but in case you're just that much of a useless moron

>backpack
fine as long as it holds everything
>water
sack up and get a filter. don't worry about viruses in the water unless you're drinking out of a ditch in india
>light
headlamp is fine. check your batteries and bring a spare set.
>>
>>803254
OK thanks no I am not lying. I was thinking about buying a sawyer mini but I read on their website they don't filter out much pesticides and there's tons of water where I'm going but it's all disgusting green, pesticide filled sludge; the perks of being in the middle of uncontrolled urban sprawl. I'm trying to not die early of cancer so yeah. Pesticides are pretty much all I'm worried about giardia doesn't scare me.
>>
>>803039
How many km/miles have you walked with it.
Back when my pack was new it used to squeak as well... I believe for the first 100km. It still does squeak a little bit if I don't use if for a while, but just for a couple of km.
lowe pack, not Ospray.

>>803242
goodluck
>will probably take around 3L since I don't trust to find water clean enough to drink even with filter and tabs.
depends on how much you plan to walk, that's probably not enough. Especially if you plan to cook something that uses water (almost anything) and have some relaxing tea in the morning/evening, which is advisable for morale.
If you are going something like a normal distance (15-20km or more) a day, there are likely to be some water sources, don't be shy of walking up to a farm or smthing and asking for water.

>I am kind of scared of the dark, is it bad to rely on only a head lamp?
Not bad at all, most only use one lamp. Make sure you have spare batteries.

>I have a flashlight I could take but it won't fit inside the backpack and it's heavy as shit because it's a maglite.
hahaha, no. Don't carry it. get used to not relying on it, would serve you well for future longer trips.
>>
anything more than 50l for one person is overkill, unless you're planning on avoiding society for weeks/months at a time.
>>
>>803039
It used to when I first got it but I've been using it for 7 months straight and i think I broke it in or something because it doesn't anymore
>>
>>802039
I don't have the AG but a few friends of mine do, they all swear by it. If I was ever going to buy a pack with an internal frame it'd be that
>>
Are ALICE packs good for hiking? Id like one since they look really durable and are pretty cheap for a big pack and a frame
>>
>>800945
I have a 125L pack which I mainly use for winter/cold weather long treks and training.
You really don't need a 100L pack for 3 days to a week. I'd go for anything from 50 to 75L. Depends on the weather.
>>
>>804080
I use an ALICE as my service pack, which involves a lot of putting it on and taking it off again, quickly. This is the worst part of it.

If you have the time to affix all the straps properly etc, then it's a decent cheap pack. attach whatever pouches you have with the ALICE system to customize it, add plastic clasps to the straps of the main compartment to ease opening/closing and you're pretty much ok. If none of the straps are twisted, I can carry significant loads for long distance in it. A bit wobbly, maybe, due to the external frame.

Very nearly too small in winter, when the Arctic sleeping bag comes into play, but I suspect it might be fine for 2-3 days all year round if you don't have mandatory crap the service demands, like spare boots, spare uniform, entrenching tool etc.

I myself am now looking at maybe purchasing a Tasmanian Tiger Range G82, could get a decent price on it. Anyone have experience with it?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.