[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PCT gear check

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Hey /out/, my dad and I are going to do the PCT SOBO for a month, however far that takes us. This gear is what I am taking.
From top to bottom:
Backpack
Insulated pad
Down quilt
Dry bag for quilt and clothes
Down jacket
Waterproof jacket
Homemade hammock with sil-nylon tarp, netting, and tyvek ground cloth in case hammocking is banned.
Food bag with hanging rope
Headnet
walking stick
Slack lining gear that doubles as my hammock's suspension
Hiking shoes
Warm hat
Sandals
Pot
Towel/bandanna
Long sleeping clothes and socks
Hiking clothes and socks
Water filter
Diamond sharpener
Ferro rod
Lighter
Film case filled with cotton and petroleum jelly
Toothbrush
Spoon
Pencil, eraser, and extra lead
Bear spray on lanyard
Mora knife
Electrical tape
Notebook for drawing
Solar panel

Not shown:
Nexus 7 used to take the picture
1 liter water bottle
Another set of clothes, which I am currently wearing.

I appreciate any feedback or advice.
>>
Could use more socks.

Also what will you eat? Have you considered peanut butter?
>>
>>800679
We are shipping food boxes to ourselves once a week or so. Currently on the menu is instant rice, instant potatos, tortillas, PB, honey, taco seasoning, some granola bars we got on clearance, olive oil, oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts, and whatever fruits and cheese we can find when we pass through a town.
>>
>>800681
Oh, you're a cheater.

No more advice. Have fun buying your "hike". Fuckin A.
>>
>>800692
Whatever do you mean by that?
>>
>>800693
Baby can't pack his own food
>>
>>800694
Do you really think we're going to carry 100+ pounds of food? I suggest you learn about drop boxes and long distance hiking in general.
>>
>>800692

>hi guys i don't actually hike I just shitpost
>>
Correction: I meant the CDT. I don't know how I typed the wrong trail twice.
>>
>>800697
Literally weak and can't help yourself

Can you even consider yourself in the woods when you are so reliant, you're just in the city with a view

>>800698
A shitpost would be illogical. This is no shitpost. It is the TRUTH.
>>
Your socks suck and hammocks are for pretenders. What does all your gear weigh with water and food? If it's more than 30 pounds you won't last into the second week.
>>
>>800746
Your opinions don't apply to me and my gear weighs 12 lbs + consumables.
>>
I dont see any first aid
>>
so much hating on OP

im jelly of month long trip. Should be a great experience. 30 days backpacking is insane. I bet less than 1% of backpackers ever go that long
>>
>>800661
I did 1000 miles NOBO last summer, your gear seems reasonable, where are you starting more or less?
You could probably do with a bit more in the way of toiletries and first aid, but maybe you just forgot to mention those things? Also, you will probably want more water storage, in some sections it is not uncommon for people to be carrying 6 liters (thank god I don't need that much water) but 4 liters of water carrying capacity is pretty standard.
>>
>>800692
>>800694
>>800710
What an idiot
>>800706
if you are doing the CDT you are definitely going to want more water carrying capacity.
>>
i would recommend a spare sawyer bag. they sometimes blow the seam near the mouth (especially if you get lazy and just squeeze the bag instead of roll it) and it would suck to be on a long stretch and lose it if you don't have a back up.
>>
>>800809
Not taking anything for first aid aside from the electrical tape.
>>800818
We're starting a few miles north of many glacier. I don't think I'll have need of more hygiene or first aid things, I guess I can have them put in a drop box if I change my mind. With the filter bag I have two liters total capacity, and I may take another bottle or filter bag.
>>800839
Thanks, I'll pick up another. That will boost my water capacity too.
>>
Are you bringing a stove?
>>
>>800847
I considered bringing a tin can alcohol stove, but I don't want to bring anything that I can't replenish on my own, e.g. nothing that isn't solar rechargeable and nothing that requires fuel. I'll either have a wood fire or cold meals I guess.
>>
>>800862
bad idea for a month long trip. you'll want hot food and you'll want it fast. get one of the little msr stoves that you can run off unleaded gasoline and try it a couple times at home to get a feel for it.
>>
>>800826
>idiot

At least I actually hike instead of walk from picnic spot to picnic spot
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>
>>800710
have you ever actually carried things?
>>
>>800876
you do realize that you physically cant carry all the food you need for the pct in one pack right?
What is the difference between walking into town and buying provisions or walking into town to pick up provisions at the post office. Cause that is how literally everyone has hiked the pct ever.
>>
>>801572
>>801571
Its literally how they did it 200 years to ago to the dawn of human history
>>
File: IMG_2777.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2777.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
>>800746
>If it's more than 30 pounds you won't last into the second week.
???

>>800846
>Not taking anything for first aid aside from the electrical tape.
> I don't think I'll have need of more hygiene or first aid things
???

At least carry something to sterilize a wound.

>>801786
They didn't have an internet to share information either, so you should gather information about a trip only from people you meed irl.
You should also refuse to use modern water purifying accessories.
Oh, and drop those modern maps, use old hand drawn ones. Or better, go without one, that's what the explorers used to have.

People 200 years ago didn't go on months long hiking a,one or in very small groups. They had serious expeditions and crossed a far lower mileage per day than the modern hiker does.
These are completely different activities by definition.
Anon can paradrop into the middle of the taiga 100's of miles from civilization and do some exploring surviving. But he is interested in hiking instead.
>>
>>800661
What is the smallest size pack for a week, or two week hike? How many Cubic Centimeter do I need?
>>
>>801786
No, they hunted and foraged, ie picked up food on the way, and starvation wasn't uncommon.
>>
>>801967
22Liter
>>
>>800692
>a cheater
jesus christ, it's not a pack carrying competition
there is no such thing as cheating when you're going /out/, your mentality is all sorts of fucked up
>>
Any thru hikers have any experience with the ULA circuit? Thoughts?
>>
>>800746
>>800778

>rate my stuff
>Im not going to listen to you

man you are a dick
>>
>>800661
Hey OP just wanted to say have fun on your trip. I envy having that much time to spend /out especially with your dad.
>>
I would highly suggest more socks and nicer socks. There's nothing nicer than switching socks several times a day. It does more for your comfort and morale than just about anything you can do
>>
>>803359
Thanks senpai, we just got back from whitewater rafting / hiking near Pike's peak
>>803773
I like the socks I have but I have ordered another pair
>>
>>800746
>hammocks are for pretenders
Have fun sleeping on rocks/hill/mud etc.
>>
>>803773
>It does more for your comfort and morale than just about anything you can do

Dipping your feet in an ice cold stream come to mind. To change socks right after only enhances the sensations :)
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.