[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would a rat terrier fare as an /out/ companion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: ratterrierbreed.jpg (98KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
ratterrierbreed.jpg
98KB, 612x408px
How would a rat terrier fare as an /out/ companion?
>>
I've owned 6 now and my relatives have had dozens. They can switch between active little adventurers and lazy couch potatoes easily so they'd be pretty damn good. Several of my own dog's puppies are now active duck hunters or farm workers.
>>
>>799024

How does a terrier retrieve a downed duck? Doesn't it just want to mangle it?
>>
>>798999
That depends on how good you are at training your dog.
>>
File: IMG-20150809-00207.jpg (808KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150809-00207.jpg
808KB, 2592x1944px
>>798999
I wouldnt recommend a terrier unless you are going to put the work in. The will annoy other walkers and such by barking. However I keep jack russells for hunting amd I love them. The dog I have at the present is as loyal as it gets and will follow a possum until its treed or in the ground no matter what.

Pic is him working
>>
>>799174
>annoy other walkers by barking
Every terrier I've had has been quite as fuck unless hunting, you're probably just a dumb cunt that can't take care of dogs properly.
>>
>>800627
Terriers are known to be loud. Of course that can be fixed with proper training. But without training they are a breed known to be Barkers.

That being said, they are also known to be very wired, very high energy dogs.
>>
File: Rat_Terrier_head.jpg (4MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Rat_Terrier_head.jpg
4MB, 3456x2304px
>>798999

>dem ears
>>
Have any of your terriers been prone to seizures?
>>
>>800627
Youve never had a working terrier bred for baying then ya dopey prick. Show bred rats arent working terriers. Working terriers bark.
>>
>>799026

...you train it, anon. I train mine to fetch and then reward them when they get back by giving them a small toy that they can mangle, so they don't do it to the duck.
>>
>>801064

Fuckin radars, man. I don't know if it's just my perception but little dogs seem to have much sharper hearing. Maybe it's just that they react quicker, but damn my dog's like radar fuckin' o'reilly.
>>
>>799174
If I see your mongrol on the trail unleashed I will pepper spray the fuck out of it!

Then I'll pepper spray the fuck out of you for having an unleashed dog, you retarded cunt!
>>
>>798999
pretty sure i got a rat terrier instead of a chihuahua for 500$ from this lying fat trashy dog infested "breeder"
My Little Bear is awesome for outdoor fun,
>in FL
>some - most days are hot, very hot and humid, he doesnt fare well in those for long. but if you toke and leasurely walk with em, theyre perfect.
>>
>>801908
Most small breeds were for ratting. Good hearing is an advantage in that.
>>
>>802758

Heh, I call my little man Little Bear too
>>
>>799174

Does it attack the possum if they are on the ground?
>>
File: 1465266925928.jpg (28KB, 400x406px) Image search: [Google]
1465266925928.jpg
28KB, 400x406px
>>801921

Yes I'm sure that's worth the assault charges.....
>>
>>803093
The possums here sleep either underground or under branch piles. He'll find a trail then tack it back to where the possum is sleeping then either bail it until I catch up/dig to it and kill it myself or he'll grip it behind the neck and hold/kill it himself if its only a small possum. Im in New Zealand so we get some fairly big possums around.
>>
>>801921
>Mongrel
Its a purpose bred.

>If you see me
I don't go on trails, I hunt back country

>Pepper Spray
Do that and you'll find an arrow appear in your chest.
>>
>>798999
They are neurotic by nature

Truly canine untermensch
>>
>>803492
Those are JRTs. Rat terriers are more laid back.
>>
>>798999
They're little shit heads for the first two years, although they are crazy smart. Bad about chasing cars though so keep that in mind if you live in town or on a busy road.
>>
>>805238
>They're little shit heads for the first two years

Develop your hypothesis
>>
>>805255
>le dewelop ur hypotenuse maymay
>>
>>801921
>>803270
That's some Deliverance-tier shit right there...
>>
>>805734
>macing someone's dog just because you hardened upon it on the trail
That's some nigger-tier shit right there.
>>
>>803588
I've had a rat for a short time and a jack.
I can't train dogs for shit, when both were puppies they'd shred toys pretty much the same night I got them.
My jack was slightly bigger than the rat by a few pounds and a lot more sturdy built in general.
Both behaved about the same in doors, outdoors I think the jack is slightly faster last one I had in its prime was a bit faster than a rabbit.

>>799026
It honestly depends on how you train it, my jack if it saw a dead bird and apples on the ground, it would roll around in the bird carcass let you know what it found, than lay down and eat the apples till their all gone.
>>
>>806043
>It honestly depends on how you train it, my jack if it saw a dead bird and apples on the ground, it would roll around in the bird carcass let you know what it found, than lay down and eat the apples till their all gone.

If my jack saw a rabbit or rodents it'd pretty much be in kill mode for the next few hours looking for the things trying to catch or corner it, they basically never get bored with that.
>>
>>806043
Be firm, you cant give them an inch. It takes a long time for me to train my Jack to do anything. Ive got mine to recall while hunting now, took about a year of hunting to get there though.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.