[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portable Wood Stove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 16

Okay so there are appear to be tens if not hundreds of different ones on the market.

Which out of these has /out/ tried or heard about before?
>>
>>798225
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/stoves-and-cooking-26-c.asp

One link I found with many of them.
>>
File: IMG_1918 b-1000-800x800.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1918 b-1000-800x800.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
>>798225
Really love my Firebox stove. Picking up the Solo stove "camp fire" next. Folding firebox is nice because you can use the grill attachment to cook on and doesn't take up much space at all. I just want the campfire to make it much more easy to pan fry things.
>>
>>798225
Jetboil flash
>>
>>798282
>Jetboil flash
Isn't this just for boiling water? I prefer something more versatile like >>798254
since cooking pot stews, pasta, rice and grilling are more important to me than boiling water when I go camping.
>>
>>798225
I have the Ohuhu. Stainless steel, compact, sturdy, cheap.

Best part, it nests inside my 13cm Zebra billypot with room to spare. Both from Amazon.

Last a lifetime... very heavy combo.

Pics later, if thread is still up.
>>
>>798429
I'm interested.
>>
>>798225
What will you be doing with it?

Are you an ultra lighter who needs a 0.000000125 gram stove to make his tea with? Are you a base camp guy who wants a full 30-40 pound iron stove to go inside his massive canvas tent?

I always see anons posting stoves like in >>790021 but random anons get severely upset that the people posting are not posting the stove anon personally approves of for his personal needs.
>>
File: Superspeeder.png (58KB, 1214x392px) Image search: [Google]
Superspeeder.png
58KB, 1214x392px
>>798282
>wood stove
>recommends jetboil flash
>>
i have a fire ant- its packs really well-- but that's about the only thing it does well. once you get it going its great but its a bitch to get cranking.

this is a pretty accurate demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqSLCWA5zA
>>
File: jbalmaq4w2kg3nr13msq.jpg (71KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
jbalmaq4w2kg3nr13msq.jpg
71KB, 800x450px
>>798225
I was bought the biolite as a Christmas gift. It's fairly expensive for what it is and one of those things people with lots of money and fuck all idea how to go outside buy. That said it does a fair job and is smokeless once it gets going. I use it a fair bit when I go to dartmoor since fires are banned and this gets around that. As far as the charger is concerned just buy a 20 quid battery block off amazon if you must run an iPhone instead of enjoying nature. The charger is very slow.

It's not great with pans but you can use smallish ones however the kettle pot it comes with is great for boiling water quite quickly it depends on the wood you use but I've had it boil a litre of water in under 5 minutes but it usually takes between 6 and 8 minutes. The bbq attachment is far too heavy for backpacking but is much better than the shitty disposable bbqs I used to use.

I've had it since last Christmas and used it a fair bit

Pros
Smokeless if you use it correctly
Can charge your phone
Reasonable boiling time
More efficient burning of fuel
Good set of kit to go with it

Cons
Weight since its a forced air stove it has a battery which adds weight
Can be quite hard to light
Literally says do not use in the rain in the instructions
Is complicated enough to require instructions
Expensive for what it is
Doesn't work well with larger pans and pots
Charger doesn't charge very fast
Elitist campers will laugh at you
Ultralighters will laugh at you
Your dog will laugh at you
The trees will laugh at you
>>
File: ikea+stove+004-725881.jpg (15KB, 314x235px) Image search: [Google]
ikea+stove+004-725881.jpg
15KB, 314x235px
seeing as my post got deleted I'll repost
ORDNING utensil holder, cut a window into it
use two tent pegs to hold your stanley cup up off the fire
customize the base to how you want it etc etc

its cheap and as effective as some of the ones that have been posted
>>
>>798818
Fuck yes, I'm doing this!
>>
>>798467
>Are you an ultra lighter who needs a 0.000000125 gram stove to make his tea with? >Are you a base camp guy who wants a full 30-40 pound iron stove to go inside his massive canvas tent?
Halfway between those two. I mainly do car-camping and with upwards of 2 people but there's a trek through soft sand and a stretch of pebble beach to get to the camp-site so it must be big enough to feed a bunch of dudes, but not heavy enough that carrying it to the campsite will be a pain.
>>
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32381922752.html
These things work great and they're all over aliexpress
>tfw accidentally kicked mine into the river last time out
>>
>>798225
My portable hobo stove:

Get a big can, take the label off, remove the top with a can opener, eat what's inside, stab it with a sharp knife for ventilation. All that's left is to start burning shit in it.
>>
>>798285
You can cook pasta in it or detach the cup and use it as a burner
>>
File: unspecified.jpg (465KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
unspecified.jpg
465KB, 1440x1920px
I got this off eBay for like 17. Packs small and is much easier than cooking over an open camp fire.

I hear the gassifer stoves produce less soot and are more efficient though.
>>
>>799905
Got a link for it? Can't decide between that design and the round one in OP (they seem to be the two most popular types).
>>
File: DSC_0657.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0657.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
I made this one
>>
>>798225
Personally I use a slightly modified Esbit pocket stove because it fits very well into my cookset and I can also fit a bunch of other things with it as well.

It's supposed to use solid hexamine fuel like in pic related, but with a simple modification it's a pretty good wood stove as well. Not the best obviously but gets the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMkd_az1lU
>>
Does anyone know if esbits are any good, they seem pretty slow but reliable.
I'm the the UK and the problem with getting twigs for a traditional stove is that everything is pretty much always wet, so I can't always rely on there being dry fuel.
>>
>>801265
Anon there is a post about esbits right above you, read the thread first next time you post.

I own one and yes they are fucking awesome, ultralight, fits anywhere, fuel fits perfectly inside the stove so it's even more compact, both the stove and fueal are cheap, there really is nothing bad I could say about them.

>they seem pretty slow
They are a little slow if you are preparing a meal but not that slow. That fuel burns really well.
>>
>>801141
Just search for camping wood stove and then sort by price. If the cylindrical ones fit in your cook set, then it's probably better due to less soot and higher efficiency.
>>
>>801267
I saw that post, its about solid twig fuel in an esbit case. Its not about esbit cubes themselves and if they work well.
>>
>>801271
Well then they work even better with the fuel.
>>
>>801265
I'm also in the UK and last time I went camping, we burnt some completely sodden and wet tree trunks. Obviously we already had the fire going when we put them on, so the fire must have dried them out. I suppose that if you can find enough small twigs or carry a bit of kindling with you that's enough to start a fire then you can use wet twigs as well.
>>
>>801447
>I suppose that if you can find enough small twigs or carry a bit of kindling with you that's enough to start a fire then you can use wet twigs as well.

That's what I do with my small rocket stove. I can use dry stuff in the bottom and have it already packed into the stove ready to light when I leave. The flue can be packed with all manner of wet twigs which dry out pretty quickly. It'll smoke like hell doing that though. lol
>>
File: IMG_20160628_203136.jpg (2MB, 2880x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160628_203136.jpg
2MB, 2880x1728px
I own the solo stove. Works very well when the wood isn't soaking wet. I get the best results when I use wood of the size my tiny finger has. It's very efficient, but you need to take care a lot. I always used too much fuel in the beginning, which produced lots of smoke. Cools down fast. Leaves the ground like it was, burns the fuel completely in most cases. Was very expensive, but imo worth it.
>>
this is the stupidest shit one can spend money on
>>
>>803568
Depends where you are. In my country is every kind of fire in the woods forbidden, but the better you have it under control and the less harm you do to the environment, the more it is likely that it will be tolerated if you get caught.
>>
>>803568
In some places it is illegal to have a normal campfire but legal to use stoves like these.
>>
File: UCO-Grilliput-Duo-1.jpg (48KB, 1100x642px) Image search: [Google]
UCO-Grilliput-Duo-1.jpg
48KB, 1100x642px
Does anybody have or use one of these can tell how it is?
>>
>>803692
I can tell you need a Ti Trench Grill.
>>
>>798818
You are my /diy/ hero this day, anon
>>
>>798818
Bro
this is so good
totally doing this
What dremel bit did you use?
>>
>>803992
He used a saw, the holes are already there.
>>
>>804417
I was assuming he used a dremel bit because there's one next to it in the pic. But yeah I guess a saw would work. I just was thinking he used a cutoff wheel or something.
>>
File: 1459016509208.webm (3MB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1459016509208.webm
3MB, 800x1200px
why hasn't this been posted yet?
>>
>>804532
what kinda soop is that at the bottom there? looks creamy, or tom kha perhaps
>>
>>804534
>1459016509208.webm
>>
>>798225
Didn't read the thread but I've owned one of these and used it for a month or two on bicycle tour and its absolute shit. You will spend 30 minutes cooking every time between gathering sticks, getting the fire going and cooking. Its not really that light and wind severely fucks up the boiling time. I used mine in conjuction with a lttle alcohol stove i could put in and make it a glorified windscreen, but I cant imagine using this thing as my only stove. There is simply not an abundant source of perfectly dry small pieces of wood most places in the world. Half the time I was using mulch from town parks.

Also the solo stove (what I owned) is an ethically sketchy business, its an exact copy of the bushbuddy, a one man operation, except in steel instead of titanium (pretty much removing the "no fuel weight" advantage). A quick google search will find dozens of angry rants about the company

One of my biggest /out/ gear regrets. Has potential for wilderness survival situations or if youre into primitive camping or something, but for normal use it's complete trash.
>>
>>804669
Also, the smaller non gasifier ones are going to be even slower, require more wood, and even more effected by wind.
As I so often want to say on /out/, stfu and use normal gear. Buy a jetboil like everyone else
>>
File: 1465088220830.jpg (3MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
1465088220830.jpg
3MB, 3072x4600px
>>804532
Well, this one is not as portable as most stoves posted, it's still quite compact and more efficient.
>>
>>804669
ive always thought that would be the case with these stoves. im sure in my area fuel wouldnt be that hard to find but i still cant see it cooking anything in any respectable time
>>
>>804529
not actually my pic but yeah I used a dremel cut off wheel

>>804909
I only take one with me as a spare stove tho
>>
>>798225
The BushBuddy was the original. I have their Ultra model. It's light (5oz) and has worked well for me in most situations in conjunction with a titanium pan I bought from BackpackingLight. The only downside is that it is susceptible to wind and there is no wind screen provided.

There are many copies, but the BushBuddy was the original. I hate supporting copycats.
>>
>>804669
I haven't experienced such long time to cook something. Do you add the preparation of the wood to your measured time? How much water do you usually boil? To boil 500ml it took me about ten minutes, without preparation.
When I gathered information about stoves I came across the bushbuddy, wanted to order it because it's the original, delivery would have taken about two month. Ended up ordering the solo, but I can understand your point.
>>
File: IMG_20160629_183030.jpg (872KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_183030.jpg
872KB, 2048x1536px
>>798437
I'll post first use after the weekend.
>>
>>801267
>read the thread first next time you post.
Fuck you nigger I'll read whatever I goddamned want to. Go fuck yourself
>>
File: IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg (924KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg
924KB, 3264x1840px
>>803692
They are a complete PITA to put together and quite finicky. Just get a light weight folding grill. I have a Toaks titanium now and it's really good. I just wish it was slightly bigger.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.