[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Midwest backpacking trails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: camp.jpg (219KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
219KB, 1008x756px
What trails does /out/ recommend in the midwest, preferably MI and OH mainly. Just got back from Zaleski, planning on Manistee river trail next month.
>>
Check out the Wildcat Hollow trail in Wayne National Forest.

I've done it twice now and it was prettier in spring but early summer was nice too. Easy one night trip but has a day loop too.

What did you think of Zaleski?
>>
>>797831

Will do, thanks.

Zaleski was pretty fun but it was relatively hard work, about 75% of the trail you're either in a steep climb or a rapid descent. Great exercise tho. Also wasn't terribly scenic but the campsites were comfy.
>>
>>797827
What is the tent?
>>
>>797925

nemo galaxi 2p - $250
>>
>>797827
Ogungee, simply stunning
>>
File: wat.png (343KB, 1438x1458px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
343KB, 1438x1458px
>>797959

...where?
>>
>>797967
Must be the local name. Don't know the public name then. Ogungee is what everyone here calls it.
>>
>>797973

where is it exactly
>>
>>797833
That was my thought too, pretty boring to look at largely
>>
File: zaleski_1.jpg (141KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
zaleski_1.jpg
141KB, 720x960px
>>797990

you spend most of the time staring at your feet because the terrain is so rough, and even the summits are mostly boring. I'd consider hiking it again someday but not before a number of other trails I've yet to get to.
>>
Red River Gorge in KY shits on anything in Ohio- havent been to Michigan yet.
>>
>>798001

that looks gorgeous. OH trails are pretty meh except for the ones with waterfalls, I only went to zaleski because my buddy lives down there and picked that one. Some of the trails in the upper peninsula of MI are pretty fantastic, along with the sleeping bear dunes.
>>
pictured rocks in michigan upper pen
>>
alo beaver island which i think is close to manistee area
>>
>>797974
I mentioned this to a local last night and there is a reason it's called Ogungee and the actual name/location isn't given. I've been told not to say where.
>>
>>798456
>>798458

planning on the pictured rocks this summer, and the manistee river trail

>>798489

lame.
>>
Red river gorge is awesome
>>
Me and a buddy are leaving South Carolina right now headed to Colorado. We have never been in the Midwest, so this is new to us. We have a lot of experience with the outdoors in the southeast though. We are looking to do some hiking and definitely some fishing. Anyone have any advice?
>>
>>799871

Bump
Also anyone got any info on hot springs worth visiting?
>>
>>798489

Why even mention it then?

Dick
>>
>>797827
I just got back from the Manistre River Trail, good times! Currently working on 100 miles on the NCT, so I'll be doing the fife loop and the Jordan River valley next month. I leave on Wednesday for 6 days on Isle Royale, then hit up North Manitou for an end of summer trip. Michigan has miles and miles of great trails
>>
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/location_map.html
How do you feel about paddling?
>>
>>800130
>>799871
Stay out of Colorado, the trails are shit and busy, hotsprings are built up and none are free....

Utah and Idaho if you want to see some real Midwest
>>
>>799871
Also use proper fire safety, it's super dry and fires get out of control quick
>>
>>799871

well be sure to hike somewhere with large rivers so you can fish. dont expect the weather to be much more forgiving than down south, it gets muggy and hot as fuck up here during the summer.

>headed to CO
>midwest

do you mean afterwards you're coming to the midwest? cause CO is not the fucking midwest
>>
>>797827
If you're coming to MI I would suggest going to the Porcupine Mountains (start at Lake of the Clouds) or hiking the Tahquamenon River (hiking toward the falls), though Manistee Forest is really nice too.
>>
Is there anything good in Illinois? I'm a first time poster and me and the gf wanted to start going /out/
>>
File: 4620758904_a0a0861271_b.jpg (391KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
4620758904_a0a0861271_b.jpg
391KB, 1024x680px
If your doing Michigan don't rule out the northern lower peninsula. This is part of the North Country trail in the Jordan river valley. Also: if you're do I nm the UP may as well hit the grand daddy of mid western hiking trips.
https://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm
>>
>>801536

>coming to MI

from MI thank god

>>802575

thanks m8
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.