[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hiking in the rain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: aescher.jpg (142KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
aescher.jpg
142KB, 650x365px
Hi /out/

Beginner hiker here.

I have recently moved to Switzerland and I have to say this country is beautiful and of course it is a great place for hiking and biking. The only problem is the rain. Sometimes it rains for weeks. As I do not have apporpirate clothing yet I cannot go hiking when it rains. I am planning to buy now some clothing / shoes for hiking in the rain.

The following brands are available here:

Waterproof, windproof Clothing:

The north face
Jack wolfskin
Columbia
Helly hansen
Rukka
Trevolution
Mammut

waterproof, breathing Shoes:
Columbia
Jack Wolfskin
Lowa
Trevolution
Mammut

For me the most important would be to be able to ignore a light rain completely. Which of these brands does /out/ prefer? I need trousers, a jacket and shoes. So what would be my best bet from these (or maybe other) brands?
Hi /out/

Beginner hiker here.

I have recently moved to Switzerland and I have to say this country is beautiful and of course it is a great place for hiking and biking. The only problem is the rain. Sometimes it rains for weeks. As I do not have apporpirate clothing yet I cannot go hiking when it rains. I am planning to buy now some clothing / shoes for hiking in the rain.

The following brands are available here:

Waterproof, windproof Clothing:

The north face
Jack wolfskin
Columbia
Helly hansen
Rukka
Trevolution
Mammut

waterproof, breathing Shoes:
Columbia
Jack Wolfskin
Lowa
Trevolution
Mammut

For me the most important would be to be able to ignore a light rain completely. Which of these brands does /out/ prefer? I need trousers, a jacket and shoes. So what would be my best bet from these (or maybe other) brands?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
>>
>>796923
Seriously?

1. Buy a waterproof jacket -- light and cheap.
2. Go out.

Seriously -- get used to rain. Rain is not dangerous. Bring a $2 plastic poncho if torrential downpouring.

If fall/winter/spring/high altitude, get some waterproof shoes or boots, and _maybe_ some waterproof/-resistant legwear.

Get a tarp for breaks.
>>
>>796923
#1 is footwear. It's ok to spend some serious money on your boots. Get a rain jacket, and a small pack cover wouldn't hurt. test that for a while. If that isn't enough, rain pants. There's lots of rain gear for a reason
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2446x2594px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2446x2594px
Arcteryx Alpha is the Cadillac of hardshells. I have the pants too. I hike in Salomon Quests which are waterproof.

All you really need though is waterproof boots and a poncho. Although since you live in a rainy environment, it's nice to have more serious rain gear.
>>
>>796934
Confirmed for having never been /out/ in weather that is less than 50F.
>>
>>798290
Right. Four season western coast Norway hiker here. Rain at least 200 days a year: in fall, winter, and spring often undercooled rain, which falls as liquid, but freezes immediately upon impact. Still, rain is a part of /out/ life, and something you simply deal with. Also, I'm quite lucky I suppose, cause I like shit weather when hiking. Nature sort of feels more awesome when anti-human, trying to make me uncomfortable. Overcoming obstacles is part of the whole thing for me.. Comfy AF under a tarp, listening to rain and wind.

If weather is nice, I have to be with my wife and kids.
>>
Greetings from Switzerland

Get a GoreTex shell that fits well and looks nice. Brand doesn't matter all that much. They're largely the same anyway. Size it a bit bigger, as you'll wear various layers underneath. Pockets are important as well. Make sure you have large chest pockets that fit a map or a pair of gloves. Treat it well and it'll last you 10 years.

Boots, on the other hand, are highly individual. Top brands are LaSportiva, Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag, Scarpa and Mammut. Salomon makes nice one's as well. Try on as many pairs as you can lay your hands on. Seriously. Everything is second to well fitting boots. Try different shops, as they all have a different selection. Their boot fitters will help you find the right one.

I personally prefer a GoreTex and leather combo. Bit heaver and stiff at first, but way sturdier and don't smell as much as purely synthetic boots.

Hikes in CH are rather short and lead from hut to hut. Not much to worry about there.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.