[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teardrop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (36KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 250x167px
Hey guys I want to build a teardrop trailer for 2 people , under 1k (broke college students). Any advice or tips ?
>>
>>796723
Heads up. I have never done this, but here it goes.

First off, do you have any metal working skills?

Also, /diy/ probably has people that have probably done this.
>>
>>796723
you better have mad skills and access to a junkyard.
Also tools including a welder and cutting torch.
Start with an old mobile home and use the chassis.
Cut down the axle to narrow the width. remove the siding to reuse later.
Good luck getting it water tight , use house wrap and bituthane under the siding.
>>
Honestly I never have seen the point of a tear drop trailer.

The only advantage they have is that a motorcycle can tow them.

Other than that, they're smaller than a pop up, more expensive than a pop up, and less versatile than a pop up.

I get there is less set up time with them, but pop ups go up quick.

A teardrop is literally just a bed with some storage in the back. A pickup bed with an air mattress has more room. Sleeping in the back of an SUV with a sleeping pad is more roomoney.

If you're broke, just get a tent. It works just as well.
>>
>>796723
>under 1k
You can barely get the base trailer for that much OP.
>>
File: IMG_20151129_100921029_HDR-L.jpg (70KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_100921029_HDR-L.jpg
70KB, 338x600px
>>796723
$1k is going to be a challenge for any liveable trailer. You might find one for $1k, but it'll likely need at least that in parts&repairs.

Wherever there's an exterior door, window, cabinet, vent, etc, there's a seal. That seal ideally keeps water from getting inside. Over time those seals dry out, rot, and crack which lets water in.
If it's sat for a while in the elements, check for mold or rot under the interior panels around doors/windows.
A $1000 trailer may need all new seals, possibly mold remediation.

Wiring in trailers generally sucks. They start shitty from the factory (wired well enough to make it legal and get it sold/out the door). When something breaks, it's usually fixed cheap/quick, not fixed the right way.
When I went through my trailer, every inch of factory wiring came out and got replaced with decent parts. Turns/markers/brakes, brake wiring on the axles, 12v aux. Also installed a 120v circuit, which was entirely worth the effort.
Same deal with the trailer i'm working on now - pulled about 1/4-mile of wire through it, and there's still another 200-300ft to go (Marker lights, taillights, utility lights on the sides).

With a single-axle, you want to make damn sure your wheels/hubs/axle is in good condition. It's a lot more important than a two- or three-axle trailer. If the brakes lock up and you lose a wheel with one axle, the trailer's parked where it broke till its fixed... with multi-axles, you can usually limp to a parts store and fix it there.
They're not hard to maintain... bearings need to be greased and brakes should be adjusted seasonally, seals and lug nut torque should be checked periodically, tire pressures and condition before each trip.

Towing's also harder on the tow vehicle - transmission, cooling system, and brakes are usually what causes problems. There's a reason I traded in my half-ton for a 3/4-ton heavy-duty pickup.

Currently working on my 3rd trailer build, biggest one i've done so far.
>>
>>796750
>Honestly I never have seen the point of a tear drop trailer.
The point is that if you already have a trailer, you can build it with three to four 8'x4' sheets of 3 ply, a dozen 1"x2" boards minimal tools like a cordless drill, some wrenches, and a jig saw.
>>
File: IMG_20150815_122457.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_122457.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>796723
Start with a folding trailer from Harbor Freight and work your way up. That's how I did it.
>>
File: IMG_20150815_122505.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_122505.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>796936
Of course the little dick snobs on this board done nothing but talk shit and put me down for it.
>>
>>796937
Lookin good famalam
>>
>>796937
Are you that super angry chick that used to post here?
>>
>>796872
And then your are just left with a tent on wheels.

Sure the sides are hard, but that just means it's less portable.

All the downsides of a trailer with none of the upsides.

Need a vehicle to haul it, need to maintain it, cramped sleeping, insanely hot without AC, not breathable (builds up condensation)... ect ect.

It's a 800 lbs tent... that's it.

If you want an 800 lbs tent, get a pop up. It'll have AC, running water, heat, several beds.... it'll just weigh a little more than 800 lbs, but both a tear drop or pop up will require a vehicle to tow it, so 800 lbs or 1500 lbs, makes no difference.

Teardrop trailers are idiotic, and inferior in every way to the alternatives.

Don't be an idiot OP.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (47KB, 615x410px)
faggot.jpg
47KB, 615x410px
>>797452
the thread didnt ask for your fucking opinion.

>contribute or lurk or go make a fucking tarp thread.
>>
>>797401
She's the rape hoaxer angry no one wants her.
>>
>>797471
The thread asked for advice.

I gave it.

Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>796750
They are lightweight enough to be towed by cars and motorcycles, some even by bicycles.
>>
File: Primitive Pete.jpg (333KB, 789x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Primitive Pete.jpg
333KB, 789x1227px
>>796723
>Any advice or tips ?

Ask /diy/ there are only kids here.
>>
>>796953
You see?

Jelly bitches! Assholes just can't stand it!
>>797452
>>797473
>>797401
>>
Thank you all!
>>
>>797542
/out/ is full of /in/s
>>
>>796937
This is cool man I really like it. I've always wanted to make on out of metal
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.