[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tarps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: silshelter15.jpg (90KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
silshelter15.jpg
90KB, 600x446px
Hey /out/

just out of curiosity, how many of you go camping with only tarp shelters? I've only done it a few times and it's been fun.

If anyone does it regularly, what tarps do you use? I've used only cheap blue harbor freight tarps and they've been trashed out when I got back home. I was testing a new idea of mine earlier today and the tarp tore before I even finished setting it up. The shelter seemed to work nicely, had good cover, wasn't too big as to keep some heat in, and I believe would have kept me dry, except for the hole.
Also, what kinds of shelters do you make? If you've got pictures of diagrams of some shelters post em if you want.
>>
>>795736
I use tarps all the time. Either with hammocks, stretched over my bivy tent if bad rain, or over my cot if I'm in my jeep. Lean-to set ups are really easy and work good, a frame set ups also work nice. I'm a fan of packing two small tarps and making two lean-tos, or a large a frame set up. Gives you plenty of room and options incase you're in a bad storm and have to shift around much.
The $12 double ply tarps at walmart is good to go. I use them a lot of the cheap ones from ollies, which isn't that good, but they work and they're light.
>>
Tarp + bivy shelter seems like the best combo for an individual, assuming there are trees to anchor it to or you use trekking poles. If it's a clear night you don't need to bother to set up the tarp because a little bit of dew in the morning isn't going to phase you in your bivy shelter, or your pack assuming you've packed properly. And if it's threatening to rain it's a really quick and simple way to add an extra layer of protection.

Wind obviously plays havoc with them though. Need to make sure they're staked down really well.

I just bought this one:
https://aquaquest.ca/product/guide-sil-tarp-med/

Very light and compact, and doesn't make the crinkling noise that you get with polyurethane tarps. Obviously much more expensive though. Got mine for $89 on Amazon.

Polyurethane tarps are very easy to get in any size imaginable and are dirt cheap. However in addition to the noise issue, they don't last. The grommets tear out, they get holes easily which continually grow, and they tend to develop tiny holes along the creases if you fold them. So basically just roll them instead of folding, and replace them when you start to notice tears. Like $10 so who cares if you have to buy a new one every year. Twice the weight of a sil tarp.

You can often get surplus shelter-halfs for next to nothing as well. They work fine but are typically heavy as death. Used to dread having to hump that thing around. Either nylon or rubberized cotton duck. Incredibly sturdy and built with making a shelter in mind, unlike poly tarps. More than twice the weight of a poly tarp for the same area.
>>
Friendly reminder to vaccinate against ticks before going camping into the woods
>>
File: IMG_1872.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1872.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>795822
I agree with all you said anon.

Cheap tarps are nice- you can build/keep your fire close and not care if some embers land on it.

I've used mine as a pack cover as well- always nice to dual purpose your way to a lighter pack.

With regards to the shelter halfs- I've used the USGI poncho to decent effect. It's not quite big enough though, and it sucks trying to break camp/piss in camp when your only rain gear is also your shelter.

The Russian rain cape isn't half bad. I tried it out the other day (pic related) and it was alright as a shelter (leaked a little through the arm holes) but it was really nice as rain gear. It was heavy, but being canvas it was much quieter. It's also much nicer having canvas around your face than PU or even goretex.

I realize this is bushcraft-meme territory, but I get bored using the same gear. It's also good to test your skills and see if dropping the $$ is worth it. That said, I usually bring my nicer/proven things for the more serious distance hikes
>>
>>795836
what vaccination ?
>>
>>795822
I have the same tarp and my only regret is not getting it in camo. Green still good tho. The extra money is worth it b/c they're well reinforced around the major tie down points.
>>
>>796064
Depends where you plan on going camping. Check the local travel information and consult your doctor.

Possible sources of information:
>Local government services
>State, county or city websites
>State Forest Management Centre
>Your country's embassy represented in your travel destination

Europe, Russia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_encephalitis

Other (see the regions listed)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_disease#Examples

US embassies around the world and local travel informations in foreign countries
http://www.usembassy.gov/
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.