[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 20160613_221534.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160613_221534.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
What would /out/ consider to be the essential list of backpacking gear for a multi (3 to 5) day trip. I am asking because I am new to backpacking and only have an Aether 70 and an Eno hammock. Also, general backpacking thread.
>>
>>793203
This picture isn't big enough.
>>
tent/tarp/hammock as prefered
sleeping bag / quilt
stuff sack and spare layer for pillow
wash kit (toothbrush, paste, bandana I can use as a wash rag
FAK (very basic, mostly aimed at foot care so blister pads, talc, nail clippers, but other stuff too, imodium, paracetamol, plasters, etc)
Head torch with enough batteries
Spare torch
Knife (big) + pocket knife (small)
Saw (saw>axe IMO)
Compass
Gloves and hat
Change of clothes (camp clothes and walking clothes allows you to keep camp clean and change out of wet clothes if you get caught out)
Poncho
Water filter / iodine tablets at a push / just boil your water
Stove + fuel
Pot to cook in + utensil to eat out of
Bug net and spray this time of year

it's not rocket science dude.
>>
>>793303
Pretty much this yea.

Some entertainment maybe. Deck of cards. Book. Harmonica. Something to keep you occupied unless your the kind of hiker who goes straight to bed and straight out as soon as you wake
>>
>>793248
Took it with my phone camera
>>793303
It is when you've never done it before and you've got no one to ask about it
>>
>>793303
Trying to boil your water should be a last ditch effort at making your water safe, not a primary means. You will need several liters every day, and boiling (and subsequently cooling) that much water will take a surprising amount of fuel and time. Fuel that you have to carry or spend time gathering, and time that you could spend doing something else.

For most folks one of those little Sawyer filters (and whatever attachments you want) is sufficient, and you can just use a drop or two of Clorox instead of buying specially made purification tablets.
>>
>>793303
Why do you prefer a saw over an axe? In my experience the weight of the axe is more than made up for by the increased productivity.
>>
Essential- Food, water, shelter or tools to obtain them
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.