[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /out/ Can we talk boots? Does anyone have a good boot fitting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 17

File: s-l225.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
Okay /out/ Can we talk boots?

Does anyone have a good boot fitting guide? I just picked up pic related and have a small amount of slip in the heel, how much is too much?
>>
>>792574
get a heel insert, they're cheap, you place them under your insole and it should take up the volume that is allowing your heel to slip (alternatively get a larger aftermarket insole like superfeet or both)

wearing thick socks or two pairs (so long as its not constrictive) could also solve the problem
>>
I just wear crocs when I go /out/.

You don't need to spend money on boots it's a waste of time imo save your cash for other shit
>>
>>792665

100% this

As long as it covers your feet, who yhe fuck cares?
>>
>>792658
Okay, I may go for this because the boot seems to fit nicely elsewhere.
>>
>>792665

That's not necessarily true. I purchased these $40 waterproof "Workforce" boots from either Walmart or Target and they fell apart.
>>
>>793021

You can see how thin the leather is where it began to tear.
>>
>>793024

I was shoveling snow last winter and the adhesive holding on the sole just gave out.
>>
>>793027

Peeling back the sole, you can see a steel bar going down the center, and the low quality glue.
>>
>>793031

Here's a close up of that amazing stitching. I got what i paid for i guess.
>>
>>793034
have you ever dabbled with Shoe Goo™? Shit's incredible and would go a long way to fix that cheep bullshit
>>
>>793034

Now i wear $140 Red Wing Chukkas. They're for work, not hiking, but they seem to be higher quality.
>>
>>793038
Fucking love shoe glue in my bag it's also a good fire starter shits like napalm...
>>
>>793042
Shoe Goo....
>>
>>793041
forgot pic

>>793038
I haven't yet, but I'll look into it.
>>
Does anyone know much about Danner? I'm thinking about getting a pair of linked.

http://www.danner.com/product/jag-steel-gray-blue-wing-teal.html
>>
>>792574
I've had bad luck with the quality of Timberlands. They tend to come apart for me.

My current boots are Columbias. So far, no issues, and I've had them about a year and wear them almost daily.
>>
Thinking about buying Lowa Tibet GTX
Anyone have anything cheaper/better boot?
>>
>>793176
The Marine Corps trusts them
>>
>>793176
Danner's are high quality boots. I'm a cobbler and get a lot of them in the shop
>>
>>793187

Good boot, some of my buddys wear them. I didnt like the fit so much, I rather bought a pair Hanwags but nevertheless Lowa is good quality mate
>>
>>793282
Yeah, I'm trying to not order anything over online and just try them on in a store. I guess I'm making a list of boots.
>>
>>793044
Any cyanoacrylate glue will work better than shoe goo. That sole is the problem
>>
>>793265
Isn't that bad that you get a lot of them in the shop? I mean that either means they are prolific in the population or kinda shoddy.
>>
>>793656
Now that's a very hipster way of thought desu
>it has to be raer to be good
Sure often times things get pushed by media, advertising departments etc to be better than it actually is, but it's not always the case
>>
Thorogood boots are goat
>>
>>793656
They last so long they need the sole and heels replaced throughout there lifetime multiple times.

>>793675
They are my favorite price to quality ratio boot, own a pair and I haven't had to do anything on them in the 3 years I've had them. Maybe a resole in a few months and replace some shit
>>
File: My work boots.jpg (124KB, 500x500px)
My work boots.jpg
124KB, 500x500px
>>792658
>>792665
When I go /out/ I go up into the rocky hills that are covered in Spaniard and gorse or into forestry that is fill or bracken and blackberry. Boots are essential.

Pic related are my $95 boots that I wore for a summer of farming and are now pretty much only used for going /out/. Bloody reliable boots.
>>
>>793179
Timberlands are meme boots.
>>
>>793246
Well, I'm joining, so I guess I'll be getting a pair eventually.
>>
File: RANGERS-ORIGINALE.jpg (30KB, 404x524px) Image search: [Google]
RANGERS-ORIGINALE.jpg
30KB, 404x524px
I use these.

Not really comfy, but its resistant and look nice.
>>
>>795505
>>795505
>>795505

/THREAD
>>
>>795534
don't bother visiting this thread, some autistic is trying to force his one size fits all invalid opinion onto everyone
>>
File: model_2075.jpg (36KB, 643x600px) Image search: [Google]
model_2075.jpg
36KB, 643x600px
>>795531
>>795534
Gotta say full leather army boots sure are good tho. Relatively cheap, whether resistant, climate indifferent, wear resistant - good all-arounders, jack of all trades, master of none.
>>
>>795690
Ah yeah, they do need good insoles and they need to be big enough for at least 1 pair of wool socks
>>
>>793176

I have Danner Acadias. Pricey, but can be resoled and re-conditioned and will most likely outlive me.
>>
Any anons recommend a boot with enough tread to hike on rock/granite?

Moved to CO and the trails near me are like 50% solid rock and my beat Danner TFX seem to slip too much and my merrell memes dont have enough ankle support/protection for my liking anymore
>>
>>792574
Take them to a shoe repairman and say you want to line the heal with goat skin.
Should fix the slip and the heal will be indestructable and smooth.
>>
File: IMG_0832.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0832.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>792574
Got some Cabelas brand boots that I was wearing for the past year and a half. Was being a dumb boy and missed a pretty hefty swing with my hatchet recently working on a waaaaay too big tree.

Think leather is your friend anon. The boot took a huge amount of the swing out, pretty sure I wouldn've done a lot more damage had I not had good thick boots.
>>
>>795737
>*Thick leather / would've done
> typing while reclined
>>
>>792665
>>792670

dewds

If you're carrying a lot of shit on your back or your dealing with gnarly shit your shoes are going to be important

Fuck getting blisters, call me a bitch but having your ankles or small toe getting deleted on the first day of a hike and copping that for three days straight ruins the experience

Also don't enjoy slipping on rocks or having sopping wet feet

To my mind if you're going to go /out/ shoes are probably the most important thing besides food and shelter. Definitely worth spending some money on for comfort and safety.
>>
How do you guys look after your leather boots? Right now I just wash them with a damp cloth, let them dry then rub in dubbin.
>>
>>797809

There's some nice leather oils and polish that you can pick up from your grocery store, those will do the trick. Using just water doesn't really help the leather. You have to remember that it's an organic material, and as such still requires moisturizing to stay "alive".

I've found that water just doesn't do the trick as well, it doesn't really penetrate and doesn't last as long as oils / polish does. These products aren't terribly expensive either, I think a set of kiwi is like $15, imo worth the investment.
>>
>tfw a pair of shoes, any kind, never sells for less than 200 bucks
>Good quality boots range from 400 to almost 1000

You burgers have no idea how good you have it
>>
what does /out/ think of merrel moab's?
>>
>>797906
We have an even cheaper price range for amazing quality boots too here in Texas.
>>
File: IMG_0856.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px)
IMG_0856.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>797914
Used to be amazing, pretty much suck now. I can't wear the last pair I bought for more than 2 hours without wanting to cry.
Source: I've owned at least 8 pairs of Moabs.
>>
>>797969

what makes them suck now
>>
>>795690
They are awful, heavy, mud sticks to them like a jew to a penny, they boil your feet in warm weather and force you to wear thick and footmelting socks.
>>
>>797885
I don't use just water, that is why I said I rub dubbin into the leather. The damp cloth is just to clean it first.
>>
>>795737
Is that blood senpai?
>>
>>795534
Fuck off
>>
>>792574
Can someone identify these boots?
>>
>>798021

ask /gq/ over on /k/
>>
>>797809
I mostly use pic related (it's actually produced in my area so quite abundant in stores) or something similar every couple days to weeks or so (depending on how often I wear the boots in question) and can't complain.
After 10 years my conscription boots still look better on the outside than some of others who never took any care of them, after 3 months
>>
>>798090
Here the boots. They're fucked up on the inside though (leather coming losse on the heels and toebox) so I only use them for gardening or walking the dogs these days when there's wet tall grass around
>>
>>797999

You betcha, before I cleaned it the boot was dripping. Honestly the most blood I'd ever seen from such a small wound.
>>
>>793618
Cyanoacrylate glues are typically too brittle for sticking an entire sole, they'll crack and separate with the shoe flexing.
>>
>>793673

I don't think you understand. He's a cobbler. He fixes shoes. If he's getting a lot of a certain brand, that can be taken to mean they're shit and constantly need repaired.
>>
>>798396
Or it means that they're good quality and so the upper and midsole will last long enough to need a heel or sole replacement.

People usually don't get shitty shoes fixed.

Source: I'm another shoe repairer.
>>
>>798396
>If he's getting a lot of a certain brand
This can just mean they're really popular. I mean look at it like this
Brand A sells 100000 units, brand B only 1000. Now guy runs a fixing shop and gets on average 10 broken pairs of A but only 1 broken pair of B a day, so even if he gets less B, that still leaves A with a better "survival rate"
>>
>>797971
Shoe fit, quality. Going to give the 1 more shot and buy through REI so I can return/replace my crappy pair.
>>
File: IS-00882-1-tile.jpg (16KB, 275x320px) Image search: [Google]
IS-00882-1-tile.jpg
16KB, 275x320px
>>792574
Irish Setters are great quality.
I have pic related and they are the best boots I've ever owned. They're not a hunting boot and are too warm for the summer but amazing late season hunting boots.

Not sure how you can fix the heel slip. I'm super picky with boot shopping and don't leave the store unless they're absolutely fucking perfect these days. I hope you do because those boots will last you many years.
>>
>>792665
Someone who's never owned good boots and doesn't roam far from their vehicle or walk in wet or cold conditions or carry a lot of weight or...fuck it you are a total retard and don't have a clue.

Good footwear is the #1 most important /out/ gear IMO.
>>
>>798534
*not a hiking boot
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.