[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: 20160610_094838.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160610_094838.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /out/, I posted a while back about how I was going on a long working holiday with lots of hiking for the first time and needed help on what gear and pack to get. I have all the gear laid down now ready to go in my 80L pack. Rate it and tell me what I did right and wrong please.

From left to right: Shmeagh, sealable waterproof bags, antibacterial wipes and sanitizer, watch, paranoid, flashlight, headlamp, vaseline, 10 AAA batteries, water purifiers and mini sun cream, folding knife and knife sharpener, first aid kit, plastic bowl, plastic serving fork and spoon, 2 stackable mess tins, comb, toothbrush, leather gloves, antiperspirant, microfiber towel, metal canteen, inflatable pillow, sleeping bag, inflatable mat, tent
>>
>>790184
*paracord
the spell check on my new phone is cancer
>>
>>790184
What are you going to wipe your arse with son?
>>
>>790184
>No axe
>No TP
>Vaseline? Trying for anal in the woods?
>No food
>Nothing to get food

go camp in your car you dweeb.
>>
What's the big blue thing and big black thing.

If you could explain your situation again it would help.
Working holiday?
>>
>>790277
>Vaseline

I don't know what OP has in mind, but vaseline can be used to make a quick firestarter for wet conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOxQ34iLJSo

Doesn't need to be a cotton ball; any kind of damp tinder will work fine.
>>
ditch the knife sharpener but sharpen before going

add hand sanitizer ductape compass/topo map waterproof ziplocks backpacking soap DEET depending on region
Looks good anon.

replace watch batteries make sure those lamps are recharged
all vaccination done
take emergency cash in local currencies and one international one
>>
Don't understand the bowl and two mess tins. Just eat out of the mess tin.

I'd opt for the ability to carry more water- like a bladder, nalgene, or empty gatorade bottle. I usually can do 2L - 1/2 gallon, amount I carry varies where I am and what I'm doing.

Get your food for the trip and max out on water- pack the pack and try it out.
>>
>>790184
Field test your gear. Do an overnight at least.
>>
>>790270
I'm gonna grab the TP from a store before I head out.

>>790277
I'm showing you my kit here, I don't have my food yet. Why is an axe so important?

>>790287
The black thing is my friends sleeping bag and the blue thing is a waterproof compression bag with my clothes in ready to go in my pack. The working holiday thing is where you work for board and food and we're gonna be working on a lot of organic farms and hiking to and from.

>>790293
Someone here told be that Vaseline is good for stopping chafing while hiking

>>790360
Yeah I guess I'll ditch the bowl
>>
>>790184
Besides some of the gear not being my brand if you want to call it that, its all fine expect for your sleeping bag. Compress that shit its cheap to do, get rid of the sanitizer get soap the wipes eh sure? Get a first Aid kit small or large your choice, vaseline why? Get rid of the bowl and just get a metal bowl that you can eat and cook out of.
Trapper for 8 years Hunting for many more.
>>
>>790184
>Rate my gear

17yo/10
>>
>>790184
White dog hair/11
>>
>>790410
Nice roast my nigga
>>
>>790184

Could be worse I guess.

I would get rid of the plastic bowl and mess kit, just take a billy can instead. Can boil good amount of water in it, eat out of it, whatever.

I like 30# bankline instead of paracord. Longer length, takes up less space and is strong enough for 99% things you need cordage for.

Also some sort of basic compass, and a whistle.
>>
>>790184
>loreal extreme fresh
Mein neger
>>
>>790184

Try to imagine yourself waking up in the middle of nowhere. Stand up from a sitting position, what clothes did you have on sleeping, what do you put on for the day. How much stuff you want to repack, where are you pissing, shitting, how you want to consume your first meal; straight away, on the go, warm, cold, how long you plan to hike, how often you stop, and how you will handle a sudden turn of weather, fast setup, tarp, tree etc.

Normally during the first hour walking I will look for and carve a chest high walking stick. This becomes a useful tool for digging, going uphill, last resort self-defense. Carving it means I go slower and look down at my feet more. This helps me slow down and avoid lazy snakes warming up in the morning sun.

I will plan the trip around running water or a river. I like to wash my balls, armpits and face before going to bed and in the morning after waking up, it makes the world of difference, being comfy is underrated. I will keep the water on one general side of me so that if I lost my bearings it can guide me back the way I came.

I like to sleep under the stars, this is not for everyone.

Here is my list:

CLOTHES
>Extra thick socks x3 (sleep, dry, backup)
>Wool Thermal long johns
>Wool sweater
>Boonie hat
>Comfy black underwear
>80s short shorts with 3 condoms and bic lighter in pockets
>collared t-shirt with pocket and lip balm
>thin socks under thick socks, blundstones

COOK
>2 x 1.5L water plastic bottles
>Nonstick medium pan (from my kitchen), washcloth
>1L Billy pot, esbit stove, bic lighter
>Paper plates, plastic utensils

SLEEP
>Sleeping bag, yoga mat
>hammock + tarp (rain forecast only)
>tent (gf only)

MAXIMUM COMFY
>Bog roll (full roll folded)
>Soap bar (antibacterial)
>Towel
>Svord mini (shaving sharp)

I DONT WANT TO DIE
>Snake kit
>Map + compass
>Signal mirror, needle + thread

>>
>>790529
>(cont'd..)

FOOD
>quick oats, pita bread, pasta, tuna, cheese
>avocado, potatoes, onions, milk powder, garlic, salt, chicken stock
>blueberries, bananas, oranges, apples, watermelon

Day 1:
>Oats and fruits
>Sandwich and fruits
>big soup for dinner

Day 2:
>Oats and fruits
>sandwich and fruits
>Pasta+Melted cheese

Food is always different, for this food setup I don't need the frypan and would just cook everything in the billy can. I hate carrying trash out with me, so I try to just have real food that won't go off. Honey and Peanut butter meals are also delicious to carry and plan.

>Sensible route, don't get lost and die
>Comfy clothes and shoes
>Freshen up twice a day
>Easy sleep set up, roll it out strip down, wash, put thermals on, jump in
>Delicious food, smell, texture, long lasting, warm food in the morning when I'm cold and at night when I'm tired

I find just brushing my teeth with some gritty sand then salt and my finger is fine. I guess a lighter could back up as a makeshift light if I had to get up at night (why?), sometimes I carry a backup shirt which could be torn for extra bandages. My snake kit is immobilization compression bandages, tape and the other survival shit, it never gets used lol.

I went pretty in depth with this just to give you an idea about what I personally focus on.

Camping is about having fun, not carrying a lot of useless shit, a comb? leather gloves? a giant tub of Vaseline? It's nature not a donkey show man.
>>
>>790534
Since I'm backpacking and won't be in the country 24/7 I just wanna make sure my hair is nice. I bought the gloves because I wanna try a little urbex and caving while here, it's supposed to be a good location for that. As for the Vaseline I was told it's useful to apply to your feet when hiking but everyone here seems to think it's not, so maybe I'll leave it out? Thanks for the detailed list, I'm gonna try to add a few things I don't have.
>>
>>790389
If you wanna be warm, or cook your food on, your gonn aneed a fire. if your gonna do a fire, your gonna need an axe.

>But but but! Im sure I can find stick just fine! I dont need to cut down trees!!!1

Yeah, but 90% of the sticks youll find are kindling. you dont burn a whole fire with kindling, and anything substantial enough to keep it going is gonna need an axe. Just get one, shoulda been your first buy.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>790591
Blisters form when you walk and start to feel hotspots, two pairs of socks and a well fitted pair of shoes tends to stop most problems, the socks should rub against each other and not your feet. It's better to stop, take your shoes and socks off and let your feet breathe than to walk on and then have blisters all week.

The trick is to carry less so you can walk longer, my food and water are always my heaviest things. Lip balm is just as good as Vaseline and smells nicer, comes in an easier carry and use form. Most backpackers kill themselves lugging around a heavy pack and end up not being able to cover good distance.

Backpacking in 2016 is easy mode:
>Smartphone
>Backup Battery
>Power Charger station
>Change of clothes
>Worn in durable shoes

If you're not sleeping outside:
>pastry snack and
>big water bottle
>rain jacket
>map+compass
>local wild edibles book

Just walk 4 hours out into the woods, you're basically exploring and it's a good chance to learn stress free orientation, elevation, landmarks, trails. You might want a knife for the random hobo in abandoned buildings.

Caving or tunneling without gumboots equals wet cold feet. Gloves should protect the fingertips and offer good mobility and dexterity, these are what I sometimes use when I want warm fingers. The front surface has good grip is partially waterproof and fire-retardant, the back is flexible and warm. They are like $1 on ebay and you won't feel like shit losing or destroying them.

Axe-Anon is partially right, a heavy but invaluable tool for a fire to survive the night comfortably. Buy the cheapest medium sized hardware store axe and ask them to put a razor edge on it for you. You're going to beat the shit out of it so why spend more than 15-20 bucks. Beginners should chop standing on knees with a safe arc for the axehead.

If you're just beginning into nature, the skills you practice and develop are always more important than some extra bit of gear.
>>
I feel like you might just fall down a mine shaft or sewer pipe and break your neck anon, but at least your hair will be combed.
>>
>>790699
I do have a tomohawk but not sure if legal to carry here
>>
>>790534
>watermelon
>>
File: 20160611_124557.jpg (2MB, 1944x1910px) Image search: [Google]
20160611_124557.jpg
2MB, 1944x1910px
Fuck me boys. I'm at the "what have I signed myself up for" stage now I've got my shift in the pack
>>
>>790410
KEK
>>
>>790184
Why a tent for four people. if you are four going to a trip, share the load.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 450x600px
>>790919
Dude you carry under your shirt bro.
>>
>>790949
I'm gonna take it in turns with the others carrying it
>>
>>790782
I'd hate to suffer the same fait as Albert Einstein. How can I avoid this?
>>
>>790796
>ozark trail shit
>means USA
You'll be fine you dumb shit.
>>
>>790919
you've never melon'd in the wild bro?

>>790944
walking 2miles then collapsing.
>>
>>790187
I think it got it right the first time.
>>
>>790184
If you really need it, get a smaller vaseline. Otherwise ditch it. Smaller pack of wipes. Smaller deodorant or ditch it. Ditch the sharpener. Consolidate your cook/eat system. That tent looks heavy, something smaller/lighter?
You can probably lighten your clothing load too.
>>
Vaseline and a shit tent...
>>
>>790277
Ive never needed an axe, it's totally unnecessary
>>
>>791635
This

Rain just goes straight through a fucking ozark tent.
>>
File: 81tcpvp6tbL._SL1500_.jpg (123KB, 827x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81tcpvp6tbL._SL1500_.jpg
123KB, 827x1500px
>>790389

Now idk about vaseline because it seems messy as fuck

This shit works though
>>
>>791638
Not when you coat it in Vaseline thiugh, eh?
>>
File: spring 002.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
spring 002.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
Get a better tent. <-----
pocket radio.
cotton balls dipped in wax works great for a fire starter
>>
>>790184
I've done week-long camps with nothing more than a shitty multitool and a folding saw. Its doable but it really sucks if you have to process any amount of firewood.
Bring a bahco laplander and a ax or medium/large knife.
Bring some gold bond.
Bring 3-4 sets of socks.
Bring some hand sanitizer
Personally, I prefer paper towel over TP. More durable.
>>
File: 20121021-zombie-shaving.jpg (121KB, 590x392px) Image search: [Google]
20121021-zombie-shaving.jpg
121KB, 590x392px
>>790529
>>Svord mini (shaving sharp)
Interesting, how well dose this work?
>>
>>791968
Fine if you know how to use a straight razor.
>>
>>790403
>get rid of the sanitizer get soap the wipes eh sure?

Wat
>>
>>791008
Kek
>>
Baby whipes
>>
>>790529
>I like to wash my balls
>>790527
>80s short shorts with 3 condoms
>>790534
>brushing my teeth with some gritty sand
What the fuck
>>
>>792068
do you pack shaving cream?
>>
>>795388
no I use my soap to lather.

>>793475
I'm preparing for the total collapse of civilization, you should be too, look at what's going on.
>>
>>790534
>80s short shorts with 3 condoms and bic lighter in pockets
>Nonstick medium pan
>Paper plates
>No toothbrush
>Camping is about having fun, not carrying a lot of useless shit

Also it doesn't matter what side of the water are you on, if you get lost just follow the river downstream, seriously man what the hell
>>
>>790944
>>790410
confirmed
>>
>>792164
get rid of the sanitizer, get soap. The wipes? eh... sure.
>>
Oh god this thread is a mess OP what have you done
Have another look at your gear and think about what you probably won't need, and what you might not need. Then get rid of all of that.
Now go on a 1 night hike/camp and replanted your gear
Practice makes perfect, but done go killing yourself, or putting yourself off it
>>
File: WP_20160620_005.jpg (3MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160620_005.jpg
3MB, 3552x2000px
>in b4 poor
yes I am poor
>>
>>798113
Shut up faggot. Doesn't look like that to me.
>>
File: 1466461290518.jpg (70KB, 344x436px) Image search: [Google]
1466461290518.jpg
70KB, 344x436px
>>798113
>shrimp flavor
absolutely halal

everything else looks good!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfj9fmqFzDE
>>
>>798113
I like it. Maybe add some zipties and a small radio for weather updates.
>>
>>790184

>80 liter pack

dafuq man, how much shit do you need? unless you're going out for a week you should streamline your gear a lot
>>
>>798163
I have the same shovel. Mil-Tec right? Does it rattle?
>>
>>798161
Chicken flavor is de best.
>>
>>790796
Tomahawks aren't hatchets and will work worse than a knife for the job.

I went camping with a bunch of these "lmao just baton" faggots. Guess what! They all had tiny fires made of pure kindling, and I was able to fell two trees, chop and split all the wood, and have a roaring fire.

I'll let you take a guess who the prettiest girl at that party was. Hint: it was my fucking $20 hatchet.
>>
>>798161
>>798310
"Oriental" is the best.
>>
>>798163
GOD DAMMIT

What fucking song is that? This will drive me fucking crazy for weeks.
>>
>>798317
FUCK!

Got it.

Hey there Delilah.

Fuck you.
>>
>>798113
>ramen
I know I have to do the math but I prefer to take a canister (it's like a hard plastic tube that held pubmix I think) of linguini, plus some chicken bullion, pepper, etc. I feel like I pay less/carry more but even if I don't, it's still 100% worth it for the taste.
>>
File: 20160623_035948.jpg (781KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160623_035948.jpg
781KB, 2048x1152px
My kit, not complete yet though.
>>
>>799965
I just saw you in the knife thread that motherfucking kukri.

Also too much of your gear looks unused and untested, you should practice with it.

Also also also, this is something I learnt and like to do, is before you head /out/ take the mountain house and put it in a smaller container such as a ziplock or even leave in the cookset just to save a bit sapce.

Sorry if I sound jiggered but I'm high as a kite due to pain meds.
>>
>>798113
looks nice anon

>>790944
>white
good for you m8

>that thing to catch frogs
french/10
>>
>>802228
Yea I love that knife but its been through a lot, spent a few years in Yosemite just sitting there it's pretty banged up. I've been using most everything but the pack, sleeping pad, pillow and shower for 2 years now. My pot olds the feup and stove so that's outta the question. The mountain houses are resealable but I have a zip lock for the trash / if they leak.
>>
>>790534
How do you keep your fruits fresh?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.