[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Biomass stoves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 16

File: DSCN3949b.jpg (2MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3949b.jpg
2MB, 3072x4600px
Does anyone else use biomass stoves outdoors?

I made this rocket stove a few days ago. It can cook a good meal using only a few twigs.
>>
File: DSCN4069a.jpg (647KB, 2044x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4069a.jpg
647KB, 2044x1536px
>>790021
And, this was tonight's meal; fried yellow squash.
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 3.webm (3MB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 3.webm
3MB, 800x1200px
>>790021
>>790023
That new rocket stove is a huge step up from my 1st smaller one in these images.
>>
File: woodstoveinfographic.jpg (230KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
woodstoveinfographic.jpg
230KB, 612x792px
>>790021

Hey, that looks like a cool project. It seems like it might be hard to carry around? I was thinking about trying to make pic related, how do you think that would go?

I was also considering making those penny stoves out of two beer cans, but having to take fuel around with me is giving me second thoughts. I dont really know how to add fuel to a penny stove while its burning, either, so youre screwed if it runs out half way through, right? Wood burning ones wouldnt have that problem, I guess. Any advice?
>>
>>790102
>hard to carry around

Are you in a wheel chair?
>>
>>790102
Make a hobo stove out of a soup can. Not as efficient as a rocket stove or wood gassifier, but the fuel is free.
I like to use the big soup cans like progresso or chunky brand soups.
>>
>>790246
It's bulky af f am
>>
>>790246

What a lazy shitpost. I was just noting that it took up a lot of space and wondering if he tried making anything more suited for hiking that used the same principal.
>>
>>790260
>>790263
You act like it is difficult to strap something to the outside of your pack.
>>
File: frontier-plus.jpg (71KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
frontier-plus.jpg
71KB, 960x640px
>>790260
>>790263
You'd probably die carrying this to basecamp over 10 miles away from where you parked your car.
>>
File: DSC_1680.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1680.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I was just /out/ for six days and I used a Swiss stove for the first time. I didn't use the bottle or cup that nests in it, but the stove itself is fantastic and weighs virtually nothing. I think I'll get a lot of use from it in the near future too.
>>
File: DSC_1805.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1805.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>790336
I should have been careful making oatmeal and lifted it off of the flames to heat it a lot more slowly. Shit was burnt on badly to the bottom.
>>
>>790342
Use a second piece of metal on the bottom of the pot for it to rest on. Even a large tin can lid will work.

However, there's an entirely different method you can use for stuff like that. Use a thermal cooker. They work by insulating your cooking vessel. You merely bring the liquid to boiling point, shove it into the thermal cooker and time it. You can cook perfect rice, oatmeal, stews, etc. They are really easy to make and you can even design one that uses your sleeping bag/blanket as the insulation so you don't have to pack more weight.
>>
File: DSCN3563a.jpg (614KB, 2052x1528px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3563a.jpg
614KB, 2052x1528px
>>790346
Forgot pic. This is what mine looks like for indoor use. It is just a normal cooler lined with towels and heavy duty aluminum foil. All it really needs is the insulation (towels/blanket/sleeping bag) and a reflector (heavy duty aluminum foil). You don't actually need a box to put it in. I have mine in a box because it is indoors and more convenient for me.

Thus far I've cooked:

rice
noodles/pasta
soups/stews/chili
oatmeal
baked potatoes
dry beans

The length of time needed for cooking isn't much, though it does depend on your insulation and type of food. Dry beans, that have been soaked over night takes the longest (250-300mins) and it is the only one that needs to be reheated once every 50-60 mins. Stuff like noodles, pasta, and oatmeal take anywhere from 5-15 mins. Rice takes 40-60 mins depending on the type.

You use less fuel and nothing ever burns.
>>
File: DSC_1889.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1889.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>790346
Thanks for the tips, I think I'll make use of both of them. The tin can lid seems obvious, but didn't even occur to me.

Last pic of me making coffee on a hot morning under a huge abandoned railroad trestle that spans the mighty Columbia River in Washington. I used charcoal from burnt railroad ties with a tiny wad of toilet paper for fuel.

This thing heated water for a cup of coffee in minutes, probably faster than my elecrtic stove and kettle at home, much more fun to use too.

blogs over...
>>
File: DSCN4080a.jpg (4MB, 3004x3064px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4080a.jpg
4MB, 3004x3064px
>>790023
Breakfast of eggs and biscuits. I'm still doing test runs, but generally everything seems to be great. I just need a better lightweight baking utensil. I'm using a stovetop potato baker and I don't have a proper pan to put the biscuits into that will fit into the baker. So, the very edges of the biscuits were burned. For trail baking, I'd just make fewer biscuits and not overload the tray.

>>790102
I've been looking into wood gas stoves at the same time I was researching rocket stoves. I went with the rocket stove simply because it needs fuel all the time. It burns up the fuel very quickly since you are only feeding it small amounts. The wood gas stoves are all packed with fuel to the top. Adjusting the heat is a little more difficult and requires adjusting your cooking vessel height from the fire. They also take a lot longer to cool down if you are done cooking but there's still 3/4ths a can of fuel left burning in the wood gas stove.

With the rocket stove the entire thing cools off enough to hold in less than the time it takes to eat or pack the meal up.

>>790332
That device is a little over 37 lbs, but can be used inside a tent since it has a flue. While some peoples do use rocket stoves inside, I'd never use one inside. Under a pavilion-style tent would be okay.

>>790359
That is pretty nice.
>>
>>790361
That thing looks a bit too big and heavy for my current needs, but those eggs and biscuits look perfectly cooked. Nice setup you have there.
>>
File: backpacker.jpg (3MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
backpacker.jpg
3MB, 1920x1440px
>>790398
The dimensions and weight are in the OP image in the bottom right corner. It is about the same dimensional size as a rolled up bed mat.
>>
Pretty cool if you want to DIY. Though, you can also use link related, which comes with a handle, and just about everything built into it right from the start. All you'd need to do is cut a hole for the fuel and put some mesh over the tip if wanted.

Of course, the photo is misleading as a casual filled the entire thing with coals or photoshopped them in. I just got this unit in the mail and was actually surprised at the size. It's 31cm high, 19cm dia.

I got this for duel purpose: camping cooking & starting briquets for BBQ's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WEOQV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>790021
look up Kelly Kettle.
Same principle
>>
>>790448
That's a water boiler without an insulated jacket. Which is fucking hard to get the water deposits clean from the inside.
>>
>>790419
Those are a neat alternative. The main reason a rocket stove is a rocket stove is the double wall insulation that allows the flue gases to heat up and burn more efficiently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

A rocket stove is an efficient and hot burning[1] portable stove using small diameter wood fuel.[2] Fuel is burned in a simple combustion chamber containing an insulated vertical chimney, which ensures almost complete combustion prior to the flames' reaching the cooking surface. It uses the same principle as the Dakota fire pit. Rocket stove designs are most often used for portable stoves for cooking but the design is also used to make rocket mass heaters for heating.[3]

Like the Beverage-can stove it is made from found materials, but generally uses wood rather than alcohol.

In field tests in India, rocket stoves used 18 to 35 per cent less fuel compared to the traditional stoves and reduced fuel used 39-47 per cent compared to the three stone fire, as well as a large reduction in emissions.[4]
>>
File: KIMG0137.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px)
KIMG0137.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
My autism has led me to test all kinds of biomass stoves. The best result so far is an inverted pathfinder bottle stove lifted off the ground with a pot stand on it (pic for reference). 3.5 mins to boil 16oz of water.
>>
File: KIMG0102.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0102.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>790827

Second- best option is a tin can hobo stove, 6.5 mins to boil 16oz of water. Don't bother with the bushbox, that thing was garbage.
>>
>>790827
Have you tried full size rocket stoves or wood gas stoves?
>>
>>790021
Good pics; thanks for the contribution. This one the only way I can see to justify faggot millennials' use of phones in the /out/doors.
>>
>>791000
>millennials

Reminder that they are born between 1980 to 2000.

>using a phone for photos

That's tarded.
>>
>>791000
That's not a phone. It is a Nikon camera since the filename starts with, " DSCN".
>>
I use a solo stove titan currently. shit rocks for boiling, sucks for trying to cook anything else
>>
>>790251
>the fuel is free
as opposed to... rocket stoves and wood gas stoves? cause they all burn the same thing
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 500x420px
I bought one these tin cans for $20 on Amazon. It's been pretty kickass for what I've cooked on it. Bacon, eggs, sausage, stir fry, stews. It takes a little bit to really get it blazing good but once it's going I just have to put a handful of sticks in it every 5-10 minutes. I bought a bag of pine wood pellet cat litter and filled it with that, the fucker burned strong as fuck for a good hour and a half. I'm pretty satisfied with it. The brand I got was Ohuhu.
>>
>>793957
Nice been thinking about grabbing one of those since they're so cheap. How compact is it? Don't want anything too bulky...
>>
>>793989
I also have one. It fits inside my 1L pot.
>>
>>793957
I wonder if garden mulch wood chips would work. I can get a massive bag for like $3.
>>
Biolite is love. Biolite us life. Also it can charge my cellphone/camera.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/
>>
>>794998
I've actually been considering turning one of my rocket stoves into a charger too. I have some thermopiles saved up and a big heat sink. I'll have to check their specs for heat tolerances though. Getting enough voltage will be easy, but enough amps will probably be a problem. lol
>>
>>795006
Meh, looks like max temps are 138C/280F. Might work for the insulated exterior, but I'll have to test those max temps with my IR temperature gun some time. Neat thing is, those things are super cheap, so I could coat an entire stove with them for max power.
>>
File: DSCN3744a.jpg (2MB, 2044x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3744a.jpg
2MB, 2044x2304px
>>
>>793928
>as opposed to
I mean it doesnt matter that a hobo stove is less effiecient because the fuel is free.
If you are using a stove that has an expensive fuel you would want it to be as efficient as possible. With a wood burning stove what does efficiency matter? Fuel is free and abundant.
>>
>>790996

No, I'm strictly talking packable stoves
>>
>>796789
It is a matter of time. Two stoves, using the same amount of fuel, will have different lengths of time to cook the food if one is more efficient than the other. That can shave 2 to 20 minutes off the time it takes to cook the food depending on the length of time to cook and the % difference of efficiency between the two.

>>796792
Packable wood gas stoves can be pretty small, but those are mostly the forced air kind. The non-forced air wood gas stoves usually have a tall chimney.
>>
>yet another stove thread
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.