[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a cheap or diy version of this? All it is is a collapsible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 233x216px
Is there a cheap or diy version of this? All it is is a collapsible metal tube to blow through and with shipping in ontario its close to $35

Ive been looking for something to give my fires some extra air while /out/ and stumbled accross this, which will do the job, but i feel like its overpriced for a few metal tubes
>>
just get one of those old antenna things or the RC cars
>>
>>788836
Build a better fire
>>
>>788836
roll up a heavy duty alufoil?
>>
>>788836
Go to the auto store and buy a length of brake line. Remember to blow, not suck.
>>
>>788836
Where are you buying it?

The things are $11.29 on Amazon. $17.something if you want their fire starters and ferro rod.

I asked about this a while back and got the impression /out/ never goes /out/ where it is hard to get a fire going. They got pretty mad.

Anyway it works like a champ for me and so do their starters. Both well worth the whole huge $17 I spent.
>>
i use a segment from my old broken fishing rod, light as fuck, durable,
>>
>>788879
Melting would be an issue
>>788882
I dont really trust amazon but then again ive never tried it, might have to for this.

But yea i get that sort of impression from /out/ all the time. Pretty sure half the people here have never been farther than an hour from a city
>>788837
Ill try this but they are pretty small in diameter so i cant see much air getting through
>>
>>788882

>Anyway it works like a champ for me and so do their starters. Both well worth the whole huge $17 I spent.

Agreed. No shill, just genuine feedback

I'm a britbong and pretty much everything combustible you find here is damp to some degree. It's not about what >>788839 say if all the wood you can find is wet.

I bought one of these about a year ago, and it has been probably the best fire making item I've ever owned. you can use it to wake up smouldering coals, get damp wood to catch to flame from poor kindling, and it's hell on wheels for getting a BBQ going.

since I've had mine and have been taking it out over the past year, 2 more guys I do /out/ stuff with have bought them after seeing how well they work.

For the £10ish I spent on mine it was a very, very good buy.
>>
>>788946
>melting would be an issue
Break lines are metal, retard. Since you're obviously too stupid to figure something out yourself, you should probably give your jewgold to the chinks for the collapsible piece of shit.
>>
>>788995
>break
And I'm the retard somehow.

Brake lines are more expensive than whats in the OP and take up more space

This thing is made in 'murica motherfucker
>>
>>788995
>>789040

rekt
>>
>>788836

Jesus christ people need tubes to blow air into fire now

Humanity is doomed
>>
>>789067
Another fair weather /out/ist spotted.
>>
>>788995
There are several types of brake line you mongoloid. The only all metal ones are rigid and would be shit to carry a foot of in a backpack or the like.

The flexible ones are lined with rubber or plastic hose, which would melt.
>>
>>789067
What if this board was here 2000 years before?
>By zeus, people need blades now? Civilization is doomed
>>
>>789067
They saw it on Alone so now they must emulate.
>>
>>788946
>melting
brake lines are steel
>don't trust amazon
holy cow grandpa how are you posting on 4chan
>>
>>789128
>rigid and hard to carry
see: literally any method people use to carry hiking poles, fishing rods, or arrows.
>>
>>788978
What's the benefit of the pocket bellow over just blowing on the fire? Does the concentrated air stream make that big of a difference?
>>
>>789301
i'd imagine getting air to the seat of the fire, without having your face right in front of it is a benefit. plus not having to breathe all the smoke at the beginning would me nice
>>
>>789276
>Brake lines are steel
Yeah but he lights his fires with jet fuel
>>
>>789301
Very much so. As I mentioned if more common for me to deal with damp fuel than not. This makes the difference of grubbung down on your hands and knees for 5 minutes trying to coax a flame to take the rest of the kindling to having it down to under minute of puffing and having foot high flames from your efforts. For me this is a big issue, I have some fun mobility issues that make building fire lay difficult at best so I want to minimise the time and effort I have to spend getting one going. Yes you can do it other ways but having this makes like a lot easier, it's akin to saying you can light a fire with a bow drill but do you really want to fuck about doing it, or just get a Bic lighter out?

>>789310 touched on this too- you can only get for face so close to the fire lay without getting face fulls of smoke (dat damp wood y0!) and you get a very diffused air stream just by blowing, with this I can get a much more focused oxygen supply to heat and fuel

I know guys that have used stiff like old aluminium arrow shafts cut down for the same task, the telescopic bellows just makes it a bit easier to carry, although it is a bit heavier ( but unless you're an ultralight fag a few g doesn't really matter)
>>
File: antenna.jpg (112KB, 530x325px) Image search: [Google]
antenna.jpg
112KB, 530x325px
buy some cheap thing with an antenna, cut both sides off to desired length and thickness, collapse it and put it in your bag.

even if you had to buy a cheap handsaw to cut it you would still be saving.
>>
>>789278
So let me get this straight:
In lieu of spending a whole $11.29 to have a collapsible tube delivered to my doorstep, you recommend I go to the auto parts store and buy a length of riding brake line. Then go buy a quiver, rod case, and/or lanyard to strap the brake line to my hand.

That seems like a false economy even if it didn't turn out to cost more in total, which it almost certainly would especially if my time were worth >$0. Let alone the fact that the idea of carrying around an air tube in a quiver by itself is fucking stupid.
>>
>>789766
Saving what?

The thing is $11 delivered to your home. Say you buy some cheap radio at a flea market, then a saw (you are a double moron if you buy a saw for this, by the way) then you saw the thing to your liking. Say that all costs you $5. If your time to do this really worth less than $6?

I know the board is full of NEETs but damn.
>>
>>788978
where are you located britbro? need more /out/ mates
>>
Why not just scout for a feather quill and use that
>>
>>789847
That makes the most sense yet.

Instead of spending an insane amount of money you should go eyes down until you find a feather quill.

Meanwhile those of us to whom $11 is not an unattainable savings goal can just click on Buy It Now and go about out lives.
>>
>>789784
>close to $35
>>
>>789930
>not reading well

Hello NEET!
>>
>>789939
>All it is is a collapsible metal tube to blow through and with shipping in ontario its close to $35
>>
File: 20160609_231716i.jpg (325KB, 897x1594px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_231716i.jpg
325KB, 897x1594px
>>789766
radio antenna vs bellows.

it's not even a comparison. the largest diameter of the antenna is smaller the the smallest section of the bellows and the tail end is a good 3-4 times bigger

for the tenner or so they cost I don't regret buying one, nor do others who have bought theirs after seeing me use mine. if you're poor scavenge up a bit of old piping. it'll do the same job, it's just not as pocketable ( as in this is a *pocket* bellows...)

>>789841
North Wales dude
>>
>>789940
I don't recall OP being from Ontario, but I guess you are right he shouldn't buy it because it is too expensive if he did live there.

NEET logic at its finest.
>>
>>789953
O GET OUT OF HERE BUYFAG

You going to spend a whole $11 on something that works better? Why not just buy an airplane to blow air on your fire instead you richfag?

Do you have any idea how long it would take someone with no income to save $11? Infinity long, that is how long.
>>
>>789953
nice, whereabouts? half of my family live in Flint but I dont get up there much as I'm in somerset.
>>
this cheaper at 12.95

http://survivalresources.com/Products/FireBlowingTube.html
>>
>>790190
disregard i could only find the bellows for 17$
>>
>>789953
Just buy a telescopic airband antenna for 6 bucks shipped from China. Almost the same thickness.
>>
If you're making a fire, you're likely in a wooded area.

Grab a leafed branch and wave it at your fire. There. $0 and found at your campsite/fire pit.
>>
>>789779
...what? not him but I use a bit of aluminum arrow I found and burned off the paint. No more than 6 inches I stow into my pack and it's enough directed air to get fire going without smoke in your face. Or next time you go to the hardware store to pick up a box of nails or something get a bit of tubing.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone who buys what they wish with their own money but you seem bitter over nothing.
>>
>>789958
>if I call someone a NEET enough maybe someone will like me and compliment me on my bantz
>>
I was taught a trick that pertains to this scenario. I was blowing on a fire to get it going and my buddy suggested that I try something. He put his index finger and thumb together (like you're trying to pick up something small with your fingertips) on both hands, then brought them together and formed a small hole (about the size of a nail head) next he brought his fingers to his lips and began to blow very hard through the hole he made with his fingertips. The hole concentrated his breath and with the hole in his fingertips he was able to aim his breath to where he wanted it to go ( the base of the fire) Hope this helps ya not waste money on that pocket bellows.
>>
if you have hiking poles, drill out a hole in either end to blow through/exhaust respectively.
>>
>>789779
Dude, it's fucking steel. You don't need to baby it with a special cashmere fucking "quiver". Just get some bread bag ties and tie it to your giving pack or something.

Why do you need to justify buying a fucking gimmick so hard?
>>
>>793991
>giving
fucking
Fucking swype
>>
>>789963
>someone with no income
You have to be 18+ to post here. If you're an adult with no income, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>789329

kek
>>
>>789301

The biggest benefit is that your face isn't right up to the fire, so you don't get blowback of ash/dirt/smoke, and the air you blow in is concentrated to the exact spot you need it to be in, so the benefit from each breath is about 10x what it would be without it
>>
>>789963

Infinity long is a long time. Maybe you should get a job. I have one, and I get paid every quarter infinity.
>>
>>793991

It's not a gimmick dude, it just werks
>>
>>790573

You should wave your dick over the fire. It's so small it'd have the same effect as a branch.
>>
i just fold my foam pad and use it as a fan, probably works just as good. damn you faggots will buy anything
>>
>>796465
You the one bought a foam pad bro you can just sleep on leaves its a lot cheaper i can't believe /out/ is full of buyfags these days.
>>
>>790177
Sup, i'm in South Gloucestershire, that's like next door to you.
>>
>>796465

>probably

You're saying that you haven't tried it, so you're probably full of shit. Probably.
>>
File: il_340x270.379495244_400y.jpg (15KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.379495244_400y.jpg
15KB, 340x270px
>>788836
>>788882
>>788978

Pocket bellows is awesome: I bought one, cheap AF and perfect for its job.

However -- back in the day when I used to hang around Rainbow family/Hippies (yeah I know, fucking libtard tree-huggers -- but trust me: You haven't lived until you've lived with 9 nudist free-love italian girls age 13-20 under a tarp for a week..) we used pipes á la "peace-pipes" as bellows. I.e; turn the pipe 180 degrees and cover the bowl with your hand...

So, I've recently bought a 50cm carbon tube on ebay ($4, 18 gram), and currently waiting on a lightweight bowl to fasten on it somehow. Sure, not collapsible, but just as light, and multiuse.

Pic related, not Italian nudist girls, but a peace-pipe thingy: Though I'm not closing the end of the pipe, but use my index finger.
>>
OP here

I folded and bought one after i found my old flint rod in the bottom of my kayak all corroded to shit. This company has a little kit that has a flint rod, firestarters and the bellows for the same price as a lightmyfire ferro rod ( which is what i had) so i just bought it. Pretty keen to try it out in some rainy conditions, never been all that good at wet fire starting before this.

Ill post here once i do get a chance this weekend if i remember
>>
>>789953
nice pocket knives m8
>>
>>796920
kill yourself
>>
>>788837
This, look for older TV antennas
>>
>>796920
>13-20
>You think this makes you sound alpha as fuck
>In reality legit kid fucker
>>
>>798012
But, why? Why? Be more constructive in you feedback ...please.
>>799436
Hey, I was sixteen. Everything is allowed when you're sixteen.

ITT: A wild jelly appears!
>>
The more i read in this thread, the angrier i become. Dont want to huff on fumes from your fire or torch your facial hair off while blowing directly into it? Well, then take your face away from the top of it, you retard.

Get on all fours and blow from the side directly into the glowing fire. Too weak to do so? Get a square foot piece of cardboard, your colapsable matt, what ever and wave it on. Fuck, sometimes i think the People on /out/ only know stuff like this from TV, never actually trieb it themselfes. You dont need this gimmicky Rod, or an Antenna or shit like that, just Do it oldschool like the People from now back to the fucktards who trieb to touch fire for the very First time. God fucking damnit, you assholes, now I mad....
>>
>>799515
Ive literally passed out from blowing on a fire on my knees trying to get fresh flame from a bed of coals. I think ill try this out for 10 bucks and not risk falling in unconscious face first

Waving a peice of cardboard does so little with so much effort its retarded.

Why not spend a bit of cash if it makes life a little easier
>>
>>796195
>you should xyz
What I should have done was stay away from /out/ and you autistic gearfags.
>>
>>790177
Anglesey, I post here fairly often now. I'm the tubby, long haired guy with the walking stick

>>798002
Of all the knives I own, I still end up coming back to the Victorinox stuff 90% of the time. No shill but it really is just that well thought out and practical I find
>>
>>796920
Fuck off newfaggot
>>
>>799515

Do the flames go green from all that salt?
>>
>>799576

People on this board will literally give other people shit for buying sleeping bags or even tents. If anything, the problem on this board isn't gearfags but toughcunts pretending that all they go out with is a rock and a piece of string to survive for 6 months
>>
>>799966
This 100%

Your either a complete gearfag, or a minimalist cunt who bitches about them
>>
rubber tubing works well and is cheap as fuck
>>
>>800560

...until it melts.
>>
>>800668
You aren't supposed to be blowing into a fire that's already going you fucking retard.
>>
>>800808

full retard neverbeenout detected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eePBRnDbQ
>>
>>801149
Well I'm sold
>>
>>788836
Just buy one. I did, and I like it.

>>789963
>O GET OUT OF HERE BUYFAG
>>>/diy/ with your bad self.

>>796479
>can't believe /out/ is full of buyfags these days
>>>/diy/ for you as well.

It's a good piece of kit. I don't know why so many faggots are all butthurt over strangers on the internet spending money on things they want.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.