[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ I just went on my first adult camping trip for about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_4923.jpg (295KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4923.jpg
295KB, 1600x1067px
Sup /out/

I just went on my first adult camping trip for about a week an a half, though it was just car camping
I had to bring a lot of shit to make it work, and I obviously couldn't carry it all if I was backpacking

My question is, how do you cut back on all your shit so you can go backpacking?
>>
Simple get rid of some of the shit. Knife, Axe, Food, Cooking gear, Gel Stove if you want, Tent, Sleeping Bad, First Aid Kit, Bear spray if you need or firearm, 1 pair of clothes suited to the weather, 3 pairs of undies and 3 pairs of socks. Any medications you need. Thats all I bring at most. ~50 Pounds
>>
smaller, lighter, less

start with a 45L pack to limit your ability to overpack. go on 1-2 night trips to start. pay close attention to what you have that you don't use and what you don't have that you wish you had.
>>
>>785420

>Thats all I bring at most. ~50 Pounds

Ex military retard detected. 30 pounds is still too heavy, shoot for 20 to 25
>>
>>785424
ul faggot detected. i agree 50 lb is too heavy, but 30-40 lb is not unreasonable for multiday trips with beginner-tier gear
>>
>>785424
Ex trapper faggot here use to packing 100 pounds+ for 25km+ at a time on a dog sled. You get use to it.
>>
>>785433
>on a dog sled
>>
>>785413
You take note of everything you took with you and didn't use
>>
>>785424
>tfw 101st
>tfw 20-30 mile rucks with 80lbs of gear
You really do just get used to it. I'll never understand why people hiss and spit when their gear goes over 20lbs, you aren't going to die or break anything.

I go camping and hiking with roughly 50lbs of gear and when I tell people they fucking goggle at me like I'm insane. Sorry for being stronger than you I guess?
>>
>>785413
Live outwardly instead of inwardly.
>>
>>785685
>tfw 10th Mountain
>tfw "light" infantry
If I can't fit it on my back, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>785693
This just in: the sun doesn't exist
>>
>>785685
It's just because most people aren't in the military and like hiking to be more relaxed. Just because military mountain rescue ranger squads like to pack a ton of shit when at war doesn't mean your average hiker needs more than a small handgun, tarp and polls, and ~35 pounds total.

I seriously cut back on a lot of shit, and that's the lowest I can get my setups if I want backup clothes. I can't understand how people get 20lbs. Though, if people can carry 70lb bags on the same hike, I can make it with 35lbs.
>>
>>785685
It depends on what kind of terrain I'm on.On level ground, I wouldn't have a problem with a 75lb or 100lb pack. I've been on trails where a 25lb pack will kick my ass though. It seems like steep climbs where you have to scramble over boulders on your hands and knees are actually easier than steep climbs where you have to use only your legs when it comes to carrying weight. At least for me anyway.
>>
>>785857
>I can't understand how people get 20lbs.

They're willing to spend more money on their gear than you. Some of that backpacking shit gets expensive. They also pay attention to every single last ounce, e.g. cutting the handle off of their toothbrush.
>>
>>785867
That's so dumb though. I know a guy with an 8k kit that clocks in at 18lbs. You don't get much exercise and it's not that comfortable so what's the point?
>>
>>785413
What do you need to survive and not go insane?

Pack only that into a backpack
>>
>>785867
Most of my stuff is sturdy milsurp junk; I carry I think a Swedish ruck? It's green with nice leather straps. Green wool blankets+old army inflatable roll for a bed, two half shelters + poles and rope, although the poles were replaced with carbon fiber ones, and poncho+liner, I mean you get the idea.

It's not crazy heavy although I could cut weight, for sure. But I still have fun going /out/, how is that possible?
>>
>>785413
3 piles:
>stuff you used once
>stuff you used twice
>stuff you used three or more times
Sort through pile three.
>>
>>785424
>30 pounds is still too heavy, shoot for 20 to 25

For a 2 day trip i usually bring 6L of water (thats 18 pounds), some food and a sleeping bag, and i would already be over the limit, 25 pounds is not enough.
>>
>>787087
Entirely depends on where you go camping, the quality of your bag, and if there are nearby water sources.
It would be horribly inefficient to have 6L of water when you're near a water source.
Things are said in broad strokes on /out/ since everything is applied differently in different settings.

People just have to remember that a few pounds makes a big difference when hiking long distances and keep that in mind when packing, that's it.

>>785413
Grab the few items that you NEED, sleeping system and food.
Pack these in a bag and then start putting in other priorities, eventually you will run out of room, and if anything doesn't fit then you probably didn't need it.
This of course is best for beginners, eventually you (might) want to start cutting out more weight.
>>
>>787087
6l water are like 13.3 pd since one liter water weighs around a kilogramm (2.20462 pound) and 6 of those would equal 13.2277 pound

how do you get 18?
>>
>>785850
kek
>>
>>785413

Go on short trips where you have to carry everything and you'll quickly work out which gear is shit and which you need and which you can improve on.
>>
A lot of people here are saying "just take what you need", which is true, but unfortunately it still does not make car camping gear feasible for backpacking.

Lots of the tents that car campers use weigh 10 pounds or more, and in their most collapsed state they're still chest height in length. Your only option with a tent like that is to carry it by the straps like a purse while hiking, in addition to your backpack, and nobody wants to do that.

The fact of the matter is that making the transition from car camping to backpacking requires upgrading to more expensive, and this next part is important, NOT necessarily ultralight gear, but ultra compact gear. You'll have to get gear that is compact enough that it compresses or breaks down small enough to carry on your back. The tent and sleeping bag/mat are the big ones.
>>
>>785413
Start removing obvious unnecessary items, and keep the ones you think you'll need. You're still overpacked at this point, but that's okay. Take your stuff on an overnight or two night trip, take more of what you used and didn't use. Take out gear you didn't use within reason (e.g. you wouldn't take out your jacket because it didn't rain that weekend, you'd keep bear spray in bear country). Your pack is now lighter! From now on, keep thinking about ways to improve your pack when you go /out/. Keep an eye on sales (especially end of line clearance) and you can upgrade things for much cheaper. For example, I just found an 800 loft goose dridown jacket for my wife for $50 down from $300 Kiwi Shekels because they only had a couple left. You'll eventually get to a comfy weight and start adding the odd small thing for comfort.

Things that are likely to be removed early:
>multitools
>backup knives
>bloated survival kits
>bloated first aid kits
>full cooking sets
>excessive socks
>excessive cordage
>excessive cooker fuel
>axes
>>
>>785615
On average per trap I checked I carried 2 of the same traps weighing at about 5-10 pounds each depending, carried my axe, knife, couple nails, wire, the bait, and if I caught the animal carrying that back. I never rode straight to the trap and instead I'd walk 1-2KM into the bush to check my traps as that would help get rid of the scent. Also carried a firearm for protection and to dispatch the animal. At one point I had over 400 traps.
>>
Where can you go for a campground free, unrestricted (minus hunting I guess), wherever-you-want-to-go backpacking experience?
>>
>>787416
Where do you live?
>>
>>787438
New Mexico
>>
File: unnecessary-math.jpg (131KB, 545x665px) Image search: [Google]
unnecessary-math.jpg
131KB, 545x665px
>>787106
shite, i fucked up somehow
>>
>>785685

You must be lugging around a heap of useless / luxury crap around with you. That's why people are goggling, because you look like a gypsy camp.
>>
>>785857

It also depends where you're going and for how long. My summer pack is close to 20, and I'm not an UL, but obv. my winter pack is a lot heavier with extra warm gear.

Also if you're only going out for one or two nights you can really go without some stuff entirely.
>>
>>787106
>one litre water weighs a kilogram

Yet another reason why the metric system is superior
>>
File: stefan_cartoon_fix_ben_garrison.jpg (540KB, 1350x1023px) Image search: [Google]
stefan_cartoon_fix_ben_garrison.jpg
540KB, 1350x1023px
>>787838
Not an argument
>>
>>787416
BLM or FS land
>>
>>787838
A fluid ounce of water weighs an ounce...
>>
>>788008
I hate this new retarded meme
>>
>>785413
Experience. The more you go out, the more you will see what's a crucial piece of kit and what's not.
>>
>>785938
didn't need that first aid shit anyway
>>
>>789141
Just don't get hurt, mate, git fucking gud
>>
>>785413
First, you bring only the essentials:

Food to eat
Water to drink
Clothes to wear
Something to sleep in
Survival/Emergency items

Second, you bring the most compact, lightest versions of each of those that you can.

Third, you bring only as much of each as you will need for your trip.

Congratulations, you're now backpacking.
>>
>>785685
Thank you for your service.
>>
File: image.png (236KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
236KB, 768x1024px
buy a motorcycle and go motorcycle camping like I did. here is my full list.
I don't use everything on this list, I just keep it on here just in case I want it
>>
File: image.png (214KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
214KB, 768x1024px
>>
File: image.png (236KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
236KB, 768x1024px
>>
File: image.png (253KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
253KB, 768x1024px
>>
File: image.png (223KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
223KB, 768x1024px
>>
File: image.jpg (495KB, 1500x1478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
495KB, 1500x1478px
>>787416
here in California I just pitch my tent wherever. park rangers and cops have never given me trouble
>>
>>791634
that bike looks awesome, I'm jelly
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.