[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could /out/ recommend me a kukri for work use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: kuk.jpg (636KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
kuk.jpg
636KB, 900x675px
Could /out/ recommend me a kukri for work use?
>>
>>785391
I use a BK2 for everything
>>
>>785394
congrats
>>
>>785391
check out tora blades bro
>>
>>785391
I suggest a small hatchet. If a small hatchet doesn't cover something the kukri does for you, get a <5 inch knife to supplement it.
>>
>>785391
himalayan-imports.com

Lesser "kukri shaped objects" need not apply.
>>
JUST GET AN ONTARIO RANGER TFI
>>
>>785455
>>785779

these two.
>>
File: IMG_3350.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3350.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I have a Cold Steel Kukri. This was a tree that fell in the middle of a trail. I chopped it up easily and they are only about $25, unlike the tourist Kukri's that cost over $100 and you never see anyone who has actually used them. .
>>
>>785391
Not really, a hatchet is the better choice.
The kukri will not break on you that's for sure. If you buy from tora or HI, you get Kukris made from Mercedes truck springs. Those things literally are sharpened crowbars. The handles can break of cause, but there are full tang models.
If a kukri was a better option, the lumber industry would use them instead of axes.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MR701SB/marbles-camp-axe-american-hickory-handle
>>
File: large_26129_MB701SB-02.jpg (34KB, 690x684px) Image search: [Google]
large_26129_MB701SB-02.jpg
34KB, 690x684px
>>785391
i got u
>>
File: spy.jpg (195KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
spy.jpg
195KB, 1024x576px
>>785391
Can some americans tell me what i'm supposed to be doing with this knife?

It's a spyderco ukpk

Can I use it for bushcraft? Or is it too thin? Is it just supposed to be for light work and cutting/field dressing?

Plz help a brit out
>>
im interested in the kukri, as a concept for /out/
but
what work would you need a kukri for? its not really the ideal tool for work

anyone have thought on the condor heavy duty kukri? would that be good for a first kukri?
>>
>>786279
its for cutty, maybe a bit of stabby if you really need to.
>>
>>786301
Thank you ameribro

Is the leaf blade ok for dressing game?

Can you recommend a bushcraft knife?

Thanks again
>>
>>786259
>If a kukri was a better option, the lumber industry would use them instead of axes.
Did he at any point in his post say he was going to use a kukri to process lumber?
I agree that an axe is vastly superior for felling trees but i don't think anyone is so deluded that they think a kukri should be used for that.

>>786300
Clearing brush, general camp knife tasks like splitting kindling, making tent stakes or clearing small trees of limbs for shelter making.

It's not the best for any of them, but it will do them all decently enough.
It's a halfway mix between a machete and a hatchet, and depending on what type of terrain you live in that might be just what you need.

The problem i have with kukris is all the idiots that live in up north in great big forests where the winters also get very cold and processing large trees and a lot of firewood is important but still think a kukri is enough for the job.
>>
>>786313
well i am one of those idiots in the northern forests, i would never take it as a replacement for an axe but i get most of my camp chores done with an axe and an opinel folding knife so my fixed blade is actually mostly for fun, are kukris fun? they look fun
>>
>>786259

>Lumber industry
>out
>the same thing
>>
>>786320
If you normally take a hatchet and a fixed blade i would say the kukri is a good wat to save some weight since it can do the job of both good enough.
Carrying a full size axe and a kukri seems redundant.

They are fun, but they suffer from the same problem as short hatchets that if you fuck up your swing you will most likely put it into your knee or thigh if you are not careful.
>>
>>786346
as someone whos never used a machete, yea they do seem very short, and the sharpened part very long, i wouldnt see it as a replacement for an axe, ever, but does the kukri have any use at all, paired with an axe and a folding knife? i know theirs some overlap with the axe and the knife but it might be a good overlap
>>
>>786380
Yeah sure, splitting kindling and smaller cutting and splitting tasks that would be unwieldy to use a axe for.
>>
>>786300
>anyone have thought on the condor heavy duty kukri? would that be good for a first kukri?

I have one from a gear fagging period of mine. It's extremely solid and the steel is good quality. It's sheath is also well made. I did have a little trouble cutting some wood as the blade would rotate in my hand after striking the wood causing it to take an unwanted path toward my foot. I doubt that's a flaw of this particular kukri or kukuris in general, just me swinging like a noob. Also it's much heavier than it looks. That being said, it's a fun toy to have.
>>
>>787108
Forgot to add.. That despite throwing around as much steel as this kukri holds (the spine and tang are insanely thick) I find it easier to process wood with a 13" inch hatchet and a small knife, which winds up totalling a similar weight and volume.
>>
>>787118
Axe or hatchet will win every time when it comes to process wood.
I only use a kukri when i am in a environment where i have to clear brush that would normally require a machete but still need a decent way to split firewood for kindling.
And before anyone recommends it, batoning is not a decent way to split firewood unless you really have no other choice.

Clearing brush with an axe or hatchet is far from ideal, splitting wood with a machete is very far from ideal.
A kukri can do both good enough, and saves the weight of having to bring two tools.
>>
>>786306
Mora
>>
File: DSCF5144-2.jpg (429KB, 2000x1073px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5144-2.jpg
429KB, 2000x1073px
>>786279
its for slicing, its a knife. if its sharp it'll be fine for notching and light cutting for wood. DO NOT BATON IT for obvious reasons.

Tell us what you want to do and will answer. happy to derail this boring ass thread

t. fellow Brit, Spyderco UKPK & Urban and Khukri owner.
>>
>>787363
thanks britfriend

dunno just /out/ stuff, woodwork etc.

I will get a different knife for bushcraft though but just wanted to know what it should be utilised for. Skinning ok?

Where are you based?
>>
>>787363
How have the police and UK not put you in a federal prison for possessing a weapon of mass destruction?
>>
File: wepons.jpg (32KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
wepons.jpg
32KB, 500x350px
>>787376
I surrendered all my weapons (knife, disposable razor, bike wheel) when the guys from the hotline got my number
>>
>>785391
Don't get a kukri, if you must get a modern one. The old style handles are absolute hell on your hands.

If you want my advice as someone who got a kukri to use to general camp work buy a small knife and a hachet. Between those two you can do everything you can with a kukri but more effectively
>>
>>787370
Sure just go easy until you get a feel for what it can handle. No lock and not much resistance in the backspring of a UKPK (compared to say a GEC sodbuster) so you'll be limited by that straight off.

Avoid knotty wood, unnecessary cutting, hard and dried woods. Green wood cutting, notching, pruning branches that kind of stuff it'll do okay.

My advice would be keep it sharp and in your pocket for EDC uses, and when you're camping/hiking/inna get yourself a cheap fixed blade - heinnie haynes has good prices and services and a good search function.

am up in Scotland

>>787376
never any trouble because I don't look like some serial killer autist. Had police approach me a few times over the years when I've been in more accessible areas (southern trossachs, loch lomond, loch fyne, loch long) never any trouble. I did have a park ranger tell my friend to leave the felling maul in the car, but that was because my friend gave off the wrong vibe.

>>788849
true.

I took a grinder to the handle to soften the central ridge, and also the heel and pommel of the handle as it was brilliant at giving hot spots.
>>
File: Goorkhali_Cube_Cart_2.600.png (225KB, 401x302px) Image search: [Google]
Goorkhali_Cube_Cart_2.600.png
225KB, 401x302px
Tora, accept no other.

Pic related
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.