[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canoe Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_20160529_165856_hdr.jpg (2MB, 3044x1712px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_165856_hdr.jpg
2MB, 3044x1712px
Hello /out/,

I posted this to /n/ but I figure the true home for this thread is here.

I want to talk canoes. Where do you canoe, what kind of boat do you have, what trips do you take?

I have I have basic fiberglass canoe with no tumblehome and a fairly flat bottom. It's an old design but a new canoe, 14' long. I mostly solo paddle in the oceanic Bay of Nova Scotia on which I live.

So come talk canoes; kayakers also welcome but be sure to try to spell very carefully, so the rest of us can understand you.
>>
>>784730
Note: I'm not Australian. I don't know what happened here.
>>
Nobody here is into canoes or kayaks?
>>
>>784951
yeah but board is very slow.
>>
Wonderworld!
>>
Got me a 17 ft aluminum I use for fishing. Carry it on top of my hatchback only problem is I can't load the bitch myself. I can get it on my back and carry it around well enough within say 100 meters. Any tips?
>>
>>784730
besides the picture being upside down. there something funny going on with that canoe.
looks like part of it is see-thru.
op wtf up with your camera?
>>
File: red canoe.jpg (2MB, 3044x1712px) Image search: [Google]
red canoe.jpg
2MB, 3044x1712px
the entire image is fucked up.
how did you do this?
>>
>>786323
The trick is getting your arms on the yolk in such a way that without letting go, your hands will be in the right place when it's on your shoulders. Then bring it up to your waist and swing your whole body back and forth to get the momentum, and swing it onto your head. Or just lift into a V shaped tree and walk under it
>>
>>786461
i used to own a 17ft canoe. definitely an art to being able to pick it up and load it / unload by yourself.
I got to be pretty good at it. I cant tell you how i did it. but its tricky at first. then you figure it out and its easy.
>>
File: I-should-buy-a-boat.jpg (22KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
I-should-buy-a-boat.jpg
22KB, 500x378px
>kayakers also welcome but be sure to try to spell very carefully
dafuq is that supposed to mean
>>
File: IMG_20160603_205803.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_205803.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>786454
>>786457
I only just realised!
I took it with hdr; the camera takes a few images and recomposes it into a single image; clearly I coughed or something!
>>
>>786604
You know what it means, unless you are a kayaker, I guess.
Actually, where I live in Nova Scotia, on an oceanic Bay, almost everyone has a sea kayak; very few have canoes. Without the need to portage, the kayak seems a better option, but I much prefer the act of canoeing.
>>
I don't own a canoe or yak but I'd like to purchase one. Heck I have a creek that runs to one of the great lakes right behind my house.

I've done a fair bit of canoeing and I know I'd get good use out of one so I think I'm going to splurge and get a Nova Craft Prospector 16' when I have the funds.

I like long canoe adventures. I'm doing a 7 day trip in Algonquin Provincial Park in August

What do your adventures usually consist of OP?
>>
File: IMG_20160531_200520_hdr.jpg (1002KB, 3256x1830px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_200520_hdr.jpg
1002KB, 3256x1830px
>>786656
I envy you if you get a Nova craft; beautiful boats. My dream canoe is the typical Bill Mason red canvas on wood canoe. Someday, if I ever make it in life, I will get one. But for now, I'm very happy with mine, though the low cost , Bourne out in the high mass I think.

I live on an oceanic Bay in Nova Scotia; the water is across the road from my house. I keep the canoe in a garage, then I just lift it across the road and set off from there.

So far I mainly encircle the islands in the bay, or venture up the river, but I don't quite have a good concept of tides (I'm from Ontario and used to live of freshwater) so I worry about being stranded up in the wilderness with the water all gone. In the summer I'm planning a few canoe camping trips.

But yeah, move crafts are gorgeous. I hope you can get one.
>>
>>786323
>>786461
>>786464
I hve a 17ft aluminum canoe as well and don't have a problem loading it on top of my Suburban by myself, but I have had a lot of practice.

I usually start to the rear of the center thwart, grab the gunnels and lift the canoe to my knee then onto my back, leaving the bow on the ground for stability. This helps a lot.

After it's above my head, I walk my hands forward until I start to balance the boat, then put the center thwart on the back of my neck. From there I put one gunnel on my truck's roof, then rock it/slide it over bit by bit from the side.
>>
File: 06212013 camping.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
06212013 camping.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>784730
>I want to talk canoes. Where do you canoe, what kind of boat do you have, what trips do you take?

In 2009 I bought an Old Town Guide 147 on craigslist. The guy had used it once in the year he had it and it now sat on his lawn killing grass. Best $400 I ever spent. Since then I've put it through some real chit...

>First ever camp with it: With it overloaded by 2 other guys + 100lbs of camping gear, set off at 10PM on a big remote lake, paddling at night under just a full moon, our intended campsite 10 mi away.
>Taken it fishing on probably a couple dozen bodies of water around the state, some dozens of times each
>Camping in a network of backcountry lakes, portaged it from shore bushwhacking thru 2 miles of woods, in the June heat and swarms of insects, to a remote mile-wide pond without even foot trail access.
>Convinced my gf to canoe camp twice with it, paddling for miles to reach spot to camp
>With my 60 yo father, pulled it on a home-made canoe cart of PVC pipe and bicycle wheels down 6 miles of rocky trail to another big remote lake with no road within miles
>Fished it every month of the year except February when all lakes here are frozen over
>Two times one summer fished 24+ hrs straight, getting on the lake 5AM until 7AM the next day
>Multiple fishing trips using trolling motor to cover 20 miles
>Fell overboard drunk once
>>
>>786955
Sounds like a well loved boat. Can you elaborate on your canoe camping trips? It's all crown land near me and I want to canoe camp; I have car camped before. I'd appreciate any advice! It's a good looking boat if that's yours in the picture.
>>
File: 1355803625686.jpg (28KB, 427x231px) Image search: [Google]
1355803625686.jpg
28KB, 427x231px
>Borrow my dad's co-workers old aluminum canoe
>Load our shit with it
>Paddle out of the docking area
>Start taking on water
>One of the rivets is leaking
>Canoe is fucking sinking
>Save canoe most of the shit sinks
>Some guy saves our ours and chest
>Drive home wet

Worst fucking weekend, I was really looking forward to spending the day on lake.
>>
>>786963
>>786963
Aluminum canoes are very hard to fix, once damaged, as compared to a fibreglass boat which may be patched, or even better canvas.
>>
>>787014
plus dat alzheimers
>>
>>787016
What?
Does touching aluminum give a person the forgetfulness?
>>
>>787017
i think so. from what i remember.
>>
>>787024
>>787016
recently refuted. turns out testing equipment was all made out of aluminium and fouling the test
>>
>>787102
I got get what we were talking about?
>>
Redpill me on kayaks
>>
How many of you niggers run a motor on your shit? Thinking about getting a minn kota troller myself..
>>
>>787430
I do not prefer running a motor because for me, the joy of canoeing is in trying to be graceful with your paddle. But I fully understand a motor can be useful in some cases.
>>
>>787316
They're great especially on open water. They require less skill to use *in basic form* but are hard to master. Canoes require more skill *at first* or you look stupid. They're also superior for portage or tandem over Kayaks.
>>
I've canoed on the maledives and on bali.

maledives was fucking nice. we went around our island once a day, which took about 45min. we've met a seaturtle about 70m out. and we brought back some waste and toys.

bali was only a one time experience as the waves were pretty high most days. I managed to get hit on the head by my canoe. about 20m out it was ok. it was beautiful being out on the open water, but I didn't like the scenery much. was mostly airport, hotels, fishing boats
>>
I am going on a two week canoe trip in the boundary waters canoe area in northern MN! I'm super excited but I've never been. Any stories?
>>
I'm doing a two night canoe / backpacking trip this weekend! Will report back
>>
>>788247
Please do report back.
>>
File: deliverance19721080px26.png (474KB, 900x375px) Image search: [Google]
deliverance19721080px26.png
474KB, 900x375px
>>788247
Have fun!
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.