/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: military.jpg (77KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
military.jpg
77KB, 620x348px
I just got accepted into the Canadian military as an infantry man, is does anyone here have any experience in the military, what kind /out/ stuff will I be doing, that's a large reason I applied so I be have a job outdoors where I can see nature and work in it.
>>
>>783806
Do you even english?
Also, wrong board, ask >>>/k/
>>
I hear Afghanistan is beautiful this time of year
>>
I'm a Canadian infantry soldier too. You'll be doing exs which involve chilling our in the forest. Enjoy sleeping rn because you're not going to on course.
>>
>>783806
You do realize that you are going to become a cuck?
>>
>>783806
>Enjoys /out/doors
>Enlists in the military
Anon you fucked up.
>>
>>783815
Afghanistan actually is a very beautiful country. Even the desert south is.

But for OP. If the canadian military is like the us military yea you will spend tons of time outdoors. Doing police call. And raking dirt. It's peace time and canada never does anything even in war. All those "bad ass" canadian spec ops guys? They used to guard kandahar air field. The best of canadas best used to drive laps around the most protected piece of afghani dirt.

Get on your leaderships good side. You will do field problems that is like camping. But if you are liked by leadership and they know you like the field you will get to play op for (bad guys) on other peoples field problems too. And if they really like you you will get to drive around the people in charge of the field problem. My last year in the military I spent probably half the time in the field.
>>
File: feet_on_fire.jpg (67KB, 648x298px) Image search: [Google]
feet_on_fire.jpg
67KB, 648x298px
>>783806
Not a canadian so it might have been different for me.

1. get some calcium supplements fort the first month
2. if you wear glasses get some lenses, if it gets cold at night it fucks up vision.
3. be a chap and don't argue with superiors and don't squeak on your fellas.
4. use wooly / thick half wool socks, always have a dry pair ready.
5. sleep at every opportunity that is allowed, dont sleep on duty, get caffeine tablets.
6. get ibumetin tablets, use them liberally.
7. get some shit to treat blisters and friction damage: silicon bandaids, sports tape, some cream to help the healing
>>
File: happy_feet.jpg (77KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
happy_feet.jpg
77KB, 720x960px
>>784349
as far as what you are going to be doing over there, i have no idea. In Estonian defence forces the routine was 1 Week in base studying followed by 1 week in woods that in most cases ended with a trip back to base on foot

img related
>>
>>783806
you'll practice combat in the woods, I mean, what exactly did you expect?
you'll also learn how to pack a backpack,navigate and sleep out there
>>
File: Bob.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Bob.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>783806
Spent three years in the RCR. Your life is going to suck for a good long while. The good news is that you are just about as likely to fly to the moon as you are to deploy. The Canadian Army ain't going anywhere any time soon. Still, garrison and training will make sure you're miserable enough.

Most of the Canadian gear is pretty good these days. Not great, but more than sufficient. The rain gear sucks donkey balls, so when you get to your battalion the first thing you'll want to do is buy a stealth suit, both top and bottom. Also buy a reversible "puffy jacket", which is what they call British snugpak softie jackets. I don't know if they're still available, but another good piece of kit is the aftermarket fleece toque most kitshops had. NOT the CANEX one from CP Gear (all garbage), but the one in the kitshop.

You'll pick up most of the knowledge you'll need once you get to battalion, but those pieces of kit will save you a lot of misery so buy them ASAP.

Oh, and don't knock up and/or marry the first bar skank you nail, live in the shacks until you've been a corporal a couple of years, and don't buy a car with your tour money.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 400x299px
I know there's a lot of hate for SF at the moment with the Green Beret thread, but I'm joining the Army after college (OCS) and go the SF route after O3. I think it'll be pretty /out/, especially if I can get into 10th SFG. Any SF sc/out/s here? I know a lot IRL, but they're all my dad's buddies and have been retired for the last 5-10years.
>>
>>784361

M8, I get worse that that on wet winter nights drunk at college
>>
>>783971
Citation needed
>>
>>785290
Just focus on getting in the SF in the first place. It's good having people who worked there but if you don't get past selection none of it will matter. Just train yourself physically and mentally for at least a year before applying.
>>
>>783815
Did you also get the memo that Canada and the rest of isaf pulled out of Afghanistan a couple years ago?
>>
>>785334
It's true. Shame the place is inhabited by Afghanis.
>>
>>784349
Is that you, estoniabro?
>>
>>783806
>what kind /out/ stuff will I be doing
basic stuff like 'you first overnighter within or wihtout an tent'
>>
extremely intelligent man who decides to kill citizens of a distant country for the benefit of rich people i've never met here. how much time can i spend enjoying the outdoors in an organization that treats you like a dog? thanks

-written from my iphone
>>
>>785546
>now that's what I call edgy
>>
>>785555
Check'd
>>
>>785555
there are jobs where you can see nature and work in it that don't entail boarding a plane to fly thousands of miles to shoot a dark skinned stranger
>>
File: 811699.1.jpg (93KB, 661x700px) Image search: [Google]
811699.1.jpg
93KB, 661x700px
>>784361

Wew, you'd hope you'd get a little time to change out your socks on march, or the socks they provide you with aren't cutting it, I'd buy my own asap. Got to let those dogs breathe, or those puppies won't be hauling your ass anywhere.
>>
>>783932
Yes ive had a few people tell me this. But I won't let em get to me
>>
>>783843
OK true, are there any specialties I'll be able to go into to and courses I can take that involves working in nature. Like can I do stuff like mountain combat or search and rescue type stuff
>>
>>785447
I mean like survival training, bushcraft skills, or just working in the bush in general
>>
>>786615
You're not going to get to choose your courses. Courses are expensive to run, and there are limited slots that all units compete for. In a peacetime garrison army run by a deficit budget liberal government, courses are going to be fucking rare.

Getting a spot on a course is partly about your individual performance, and partly about company politics. But ultimately it comes down to what works for your unit, not for you. You are there to serve the needs of the army; the army is not there to serve your needs. If they decide you need to get a forklift course and spend all your time moving pallets of random shit around while everybody else goes on exercise, then so be it.

That being said, there are rappelling courses and light urban search & rescue courses. These are mainly reserved for corporals and up. The army doesn't want to waste a course on someone who is just going to do their three and then bail.
>>
>>785290

Speaks candidly about even making SF- Making SF LOL. Reminds me of all of the reservists I've met that think they are going to make JTF2
>>
>>785404
>Is that you, estoniabro?

nah, i just started visiting 4chan and /out/

>>785584
>Wew, you'd hope you'd get a little time to change out your socks on march
disclaimer: neither of the images depict me, our unit had rather strict camera using policies.

However, our feet did get fucked up just like that and occasionally worse. In the first few months superiors always walked alongside with us, keeping up a rather high tempo and because we were rather noobie back then we wore regular thin cotton socks. They did give us pretty ok half-wool socks, but at first we didn't really know to use those. After the second trip (20 something km with full gear and weaponry) 4 guys out of 30 fainted/collapsed in the speech lineup. Later on feet got stronger and we started to actually know what we need to do so shorter trips were a breeze.

>socks they provide you with aren't cutting it, I'd buy my own asap.
5 months in, before our shittiest trip yet (130km+) I did get 2 pairs of Lorpen trekking socks. One pair on feet, other pair drying in pockets strat got me through quite well, only light sores, but some fellas got actual bleeding blisters.
>>
>>786631
This is good info, I would add if you don't get on the courses you want it may not be imprudent to find civilian courses or ask if you can pay towards their cost if they are something important to you. Showing willingness to learn and improve within the army structure even through your own efforts cannot really go badly for a person and may give you a leg up to future courses you want to partake in.
>>
>>785290

Listen fag your number 1 challenge is getting into the military in the first place.

Just because you planned for SF doesnt mean shit. You planned to sign up for appliance. That wont make you SF.

You wont get in if you're not the best of the best, even if you pass the tests if theyre's someoen better than you youwont make it.

Are you better than every single other person you know? if you arent you have even less chances.
>>
>>783806

IF you can, always snatch in gear of your own, like good insoles, good undershirts, good socks etc....

Dont expect to be the outdoors master, military outdoors training is very basic and rudimentary. You probably know more and better already

Dont stand out in any way
>>
>>786819
That's not a bad idea. Anything to help you get noticed. When you're a FNG nobody remembers your name, but if you're a FNG with a Emergency Medical Responder course or a civvie rappel master course, that'll make you stand out a bit. Then if a spot opens up on a course, or if there's a cool tasking somewhere you stand a better chance of having your name come to your section commander's mind.
>>
File: image.jpg (158KB, 1294x728px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 1294x728px
>>785574
Thank ya

>>785575
Nice cookie cutter "comfortable first world liberal" argument you have there, kid. Go back to sucking George Galloway's cock, I'm not here to talk politics with you. I've already made up my mind and the Kurds need us.

>>786646
>>786885
>thinking you're going to hit me with a wall of reality because you're some random guys on the Internet
As far as how confident I ought to be and what to expect, I think I'll stick to advice from actual Green Berets that I know, not some ransoms on 4chan.

Very spoopy though, you guys got me!
>>
>>787898

Fun fact: the US army is drastically reducing it's numbers right now and is expected to keep doing so for the forseeable future.

They're out of money, m8. You're walking into a situation where you're going to have to fight tooth & nail for a shot at poverty. Fair warning.
>>
>>787936

Fun fact: reading the thread helps
>I just got accepted into the Canadian military
>>
Congrats man!
>>
>>786631
Op here, I'm not planning of leaving after three years I want to stay as long as it takes me to have enough specialties to get a good civilian job, my dads friend's son stayed in the Canadian forces for ten years, and now he's a crane operator because he was trained to become one in the military. I was thinking of becoming a park ranger or search and rescue when I come out.
>>
>>791060
Op thinks sf will give him crane operator license?

Jesus this guy is such a faggot.

Look. Op. You are a faggot. You won't make it. I never tried to make it but you won't. I got my name up on the wall. I am a sapper. I did many missions with 75th bros.

The absolute last person that passes selection is the faggot that knows he will.
>>
Enjoy doing fucking nothing all day, every day, and working with braindead immature faggots.

Yes, I know I'm late, but this needs to be said. You can get as much out of the army as you put in, yes, but you need to accept right now that your work environment is going to be like being on an eighth-grade football team that doesn't even compete.
>>
Invest in good pair of boots, sealskinz socks and waterproof gear. Sitting in rain for several days sucks ass.
>>
>>791530
If you can stick it out until you're a MCpl you'll have peers that aren't faggots. But as a no-hook Pte what this anon says is pretty accurate.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.