[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I live in the most hyped outdoor country in the world (maybe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

>I live in the most hyped outdoor country in the world (maybe Iceland)
>No forests to light fires in, plus its illegal everywhere
>Not cold enough for cozy gear, not hot enough for comfy gear
>Not big enough to get truly separated from civilization
>biomes are too small
>No reason to carry knife/gun, plus also probably illegal.
>have to pay to see the best shit, infested with tourists

Any of you been here?
>>
in what parallel universe is nz the most hyped outdoor country? definitely not here on /out/. or is this from some dumb clickbait "top 10" travelblog written by someone who's only seen 2 pictures of each country

nz probably wouldn't even make my top 40
>>
>>783369
Only strayans and bongs go there.
>>
You must live in the city, my great uncle moved there years ago and lives in some bumfuck nowhere town in the south island miles from anything of consequence and boasts about how firearm laws are way more lax there than in Aus
>>
>>783375
I mean hyped, not necessarily best. Obviously you know better, and that's my point. I'm saying that as someone who lives there that there's not a lot to do, despite the normie opinion that its this wonderland of nature and shit.

>>783386
In the deep south most farmers would have guns so that's probably why. I really wished I lived down south though. I'm going to buy some land down there eventually.
>>
>>783387
>I mean hyped, not necessarily best.

yeah, i got that, i'm just not sure where you get that its outdoors is hyped, except maybe from cruise brochures or equivalent nonsense.
>>
>>783369
The first thing you need to do is get a map and highlight all the national parks. The second thing you need to do is to stay the fuck away from all of them.

Find some Crown-owned or district council land and camp there instead.
>>
>>783369
I hiked the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Very popular spot for people because of the volcano- which was used by the crew of LotR to shoot the scenes for Mt. Doom- but it was awesome. The scenery in NZ is beautiful and the more rural towns are someplace I could definitely see myself living in for good, despite the firearms and camping restrictions being tighter than anywhere in the US.

As a guy from burgerstan I'd rate NZ pretty high in terms of views and hikes, but I can see how doing true outdoorsman shit would be a bit hard. 8/10 country OP, no idea why you hate it. You live in Wellington or Auckland or something?
>>
>first world problems
stop crying and be happy with what you have, you could be Dutch and then you would know what really is having shit /out/doors.
>>
>>783369
If you think that its bad over there, then remember that the biggest "forest" in Northern Ireland is barely a mile wide.
>>
Doesn't our Lord and savior primitive technology guy live in nz? Can't you just do what he does?
>>
>>783674
Nah he lives in straya
>>
>>783396
To the layman, I would say its one of the most frequently cited 'dream destinations'. Are you really telling me that you think most people wouldn't want to come here with the idea in their mind of all the cool nature shit we have? Maybe its just all the propaganda I get, but the shit load of exchange students and foreigners I've spoken to have all said they love it/would love to visit.

>>783641
I don't hate it. I love what we do have, but being on this board I just get mega jelly that I lack the opportunities to do a lot of the 'real' outdoorsey type things that everyone else seems to be doing.

>>783674
What >>783880 said. Plus the type of trees here don't really work for anything unless you're in a pine forest, which are only grown for logging anyway...
>>
Gun laws are pretty lax in NZ.

I like this NZ YouTuber the most so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrChxEGLL4
>>
>I live in the most hyped outdoor country in the world (maybe Iceland)
wrong
>No forests to light fires in, plus its illegal everywhere
wrong
>Not cold enough for cozy gear, not hot enough for comfy gear
wrong
>Not big enough to get truly separated from civilization
wrong wrong wrong
>biomes are too small
Where besides NZ can you walk through a rainforest for a week without seeing another person? Brazil?
>No reason to carry knife/gun, plus also probably illegal.
wrong. Are you fucking joking? Even tourists are allowed guns.
>have to pay to see the best shit, infested with tourists
OK, True

I believe OP is not a kiwi because he knows nothing whatsoever about NZ
>>
im from nz and it seems to me youve either never been here or never left the city. theres plenty to do here if you get out and do it. its perfectly legal to carry a knife in the bush and if you get a firearms licence you can carry a rifle in a designated hunting area, which are just about everywhere apart from bush reserves. stop whinging and get outdoors.
>>
>>784202
Well most of my points were hyperbole, but I mean other than getting dropped in the middle of Fiordland where are such forests?

>>784262
Give me locations. I'm certainly willing to be wrong. In fact I'd prefer it if I were wrong.
>>
>>784202
The Boreal forest is a rain forest and it stretches from coast to coast in Canada.
>>
>>784315
Boreal forest isn't a rainforest. Only 250-750mm of rain annually vs. 2500-4500mm for actual rainforest
>>
>>783369
>most hyped outdoor country in the world
All of my wut.
>>
http://maps.doc.govt.nz/mapviewer/index.html?viewer=dto check this out very usefull has options for highlighting legal hunting areas etc.
>>
>>784950
Ooh thanks mate I forgot about this one.
>>
File: 1452889901055.jpg (599KB, 1600x1564px) Image search: [Google]
1452889901055.jpg
599KB, 1600x1564px
>>783369
>everyday wake up to the sound of the forest
>sit on my porch and have a fag and a cup of Tea sun is just coming up
>Drive to work down a dirt road in the forest
>spend the rest of my day at a truck stop where only maybe 10 people stop all day.
> drive home have a fire with my mates and get plastered.
>go to bed with only the sounds of the forest

Northern Canada's the most fantastic /out/ country
>>
>>783369
I live in the mighty south. Theres plenty of good hunting and camping spots around if you actually got /out/. Do your research
>>
>>784162
You should check out ClayTallStories. Hes a top kiwi Hunter/fisher/general outdoorsman and makes top quality videos
>>
>>784286
The southern Alps boy.
>>
>>787715
>>787719
Yeah I'm a northfag but I love the South Island, obviously. But I mean I have to make a huge trip of it just to get /out/ down there. Ferry my car across and all that jazz, so I just end up going the mainstream stuff in that little time I have in the summer. Winter poses obvious problems with the alps. What would you guys suggest outside of national parks and great walks etc?
>>
File: 1411812023859.jpg (193KB, 732x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1411812023859.jpg
193KB, 732x1024px
Plenty of backwoods shit out the back of taranaki.

The mountain is garbage, the ranges next to it arent much better.

But head east and you find wild country. Abandoned 1900's era farms, native forest.
>>
>>783369
Wow you're obviously a north islander
>>
Where are all my fellow south islanders from?

Dunedin here
>>
> no bigfoot
> shithole country

Thank you for playing.
>>
>>787732
Get /out/ and manually scout out the area instead of relying on what you read online. Use maps to find areas that are suitable then sort out permissions. It doesnt matter if you have to drive a few hours to get there, its worth it in the end.
>>
>>788307
Geraldine, two hours south of Christchurch
>>
File: São Bento do Sul SC.jpg (127KB, 960x635px) Image search: [Google]
São Bento do Sul SC.jpg
127KB, 960x635px
>>787692
post pics please. (anon form Santa Catarina, Brazil)
>>
>>783369
>>I live in the most hyped outdoor country in the world (maybe Iceland)
I doubt it's really overhyped, certainly not on this board.

>>No forests to light fires in, plus its illegal everywhere
although sadly a lot of our forest has been cleared for pastureland, there are still national parks covering a significant percentage of NZ's landmass

>>Not cold enough for cozy gear, not hot enough for comfy gear
depends how far south you are. it drops well below 0c overnight down south

>>Not big enough to get truly separated from civilization
cities and towns cover very little our landmass. certainly you can't get away like siberia-tier, but you certainly can get a long way from civilisation. NZ actually has a well established and traditional culture of 'going bush' to get away from life.

>>biomes are too small
moreover, we only really have one biome, but it is a pleasant one with many native and endemic species of flora and fauna

>>No reason to carry knife/gun, plus also probably illegal.
completely legal in national parks as well as private property. hunting and firearms are a regular aspect of rural life here. maybe you only went to auckland/wellington and never left the confines of the city?

>>have to pay to see the best shit, infested with tourists
NZ has probably the world's best network of government funded trails and huts; national parks are free to access with true complete freedom to both roam and camp without the restrictions you see in scandinavia

>Any of you been here?
yeah I live here
>>
>>789385
forgot to add that fires are illegal in national parks (private property of course is fine), but so long as you actually know what you are doing and are secluded enough, you can get away with lighting them if you are careful
>>
is there anything in nz that can kill you?

>inb4 maoris
>>
>>789418
fudds with buck fever. always put on something orange if you hear gunshots
>>
File: images (6).jpg (26KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
26KB, 470x313px
>>789254
Not OP but this is from New Zealand
>>
>>789418
TB infected possums are a problem, our boars have killed before as well
>>
File: DSC_2098.jpg (2MB, 6016x4016px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2098.jpg
2MB, 6016x4016px
>>789389
This is my main issue I guess. Although I thought there were freedom camping restrictions in national parks? am I wrong about that? What do you suggest? Like looking at all the trails on the doc map, they're all along where the huts are. So if you don't want to stay at a hut do you just camp nearby? Or, do you completely go off track and just bush-bash wherever you want? I've been in Fiordland, and if you're not on the trail it seems pretty fucking impossible to get anywhere.

>>789254
I know you're asking for Canadian pics but I'll just do what >>789437 did. I took this at Lake Ohau this January.
>>
Is Vancouver one of the most outdoorsy places in the world?

Pacific ocean gives you beaches, oceanic and costal sailing, surfing and other nautical sports.
Forests and several national parks, plenty of trails, campsites, lakes.
Mountain area great for rock climbing, bouldering and even alpine stuff as several peaks are within close driving distance. Vancouver hosted the Winter olympics.

Plenty of small lakes and rivers for fishing.
Local culture pretty respectful of /out/ related stuff and loads of social events are centered around it. Being /fit/ and /out/ isn't a niche there it''s expected.
Plenty of world known gear brands and shop are based there.
Incredible mild climate. Not too cold, not too hot yet the vicinity of the mountains gives you a quick access to ski related sports.
Plenty of resorts but not too crowded compared to californian tourism or spanish costa brava or italy or provence in france. This gives the region plenty of developped /out/ activities like skydiving, basejumping, scuba diving, general aviation, helicopter tours etc...

Extremely sports centered. NFL, soccer, hockey, Lacrosse, Basketball.. Plenty of clubs and associations.
Loads of parks and greenspaces withing the city limits.
Aims to be completely green by 2020 energy wise.
One of the least polluted cities of that size, gets into the quality of life or eco-conscious rankings every fucking year.
>>
>>783369
We took a gun out in a boat n shot at rabbits on the hills. Loads of hunting in NZ, spearing eels , fishing, shooting deer,boar,possumns, bow n arrows legal, pop of 4 million, it's bigger than the UK which has over population and loads if outdoors, yet you could get lost in the south easily.

Never felt freer out there
>>
>>783653
I live in the NL and it totaly suck for /out/ings.
Luckily, Oslo is just a short flight away and tickets can be had for 50 Euro
>>
>>784315
Are you retarded? The boreal forest (taiga) is certainly not a rain forest. If you're thinking about the coastal rain forests in BC and Alaska then you're thinking about a different forest anon.
>>
>>787692
>All of Canada's the most fantastic /out/ country

FTFY
>>
>>789457
>Is Vancouver one of the most outdoorsy places in the world?
No it's really not. If you meant to say lower mainland, then still no. If you mean the west coast then alright, but the northwest or really any other fucking place in BC is more /out/...fucking city dwellers they have no clue I tell ya
>>
>>789457
>NFL
You mean the CFL team BC Lions ya twit?
>>
Pretty sure NZ has some very good diving as well, no great barrier reef but plenty good nonetheless
>>
>>783653
>actual first world problems
Try living in Israel, where everything is either farmland, shoot-on-sight military bases or behead-on-sight arab areas.
>>
>>787732
Check out the Urewera range. That's what I was talking about when I said you could spend a week in a rainforest without seeing anyone. And the Tararuas ain't bad. Just go on google earth and look for the big green patches.
>>
>>784321
>>789577
Even if the OP was wrong the boreal remains the single largest land based biome and is absolutely /out.
>>
>>789444
national parks are completely free to camp in anywhere. doc huts have a courtesy payment system that is very cheap.

the bush is indeed pretty thick making backcountry traversal very, very slow going. fiordland is worse than most parts of the country though because you really need a collapsible canoe with you

urewera and tongaririo national parks are legit. I need to see more of the south island desu
>>
>>789980
>>790144

Thanks lads. I've done plenty of doc huts, but it never really occurred to me to just rock up to a national park and go wherever. I've been to Urewera, and its pretty great. Tongariro could be pretty nice. This summer is my last big holiday before full time work begins so I'll plan some trips for then.
>>
>>789791
Then fuck off and give it back to Palestine then.
Greedy Jew cunt. You are basically the Nazi's of this century. Hitler should've finished you off.
>>
>>789444
Are you from down south? Ive camped alot around Te Anua. Theres still quite a few professional deer cullers, trappers and doc people living around that region in the bush.
>>
>>790210
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>790229
Nah, North. Which sucks because I love the South but its a big effort for just a few days of camping.
>>
>>783664
>biggest "forest" in Northern Ireland is barely a mile wide
FARK !
I live in Queensland ; the Barakula state forest is said by the Guv'mn't' to be the 'Largest state forest in the Southern Hemisphere' at 280,000 hectares [translation 1,081 square miles].
I just checked it's Smallest dimension [north-south on Auburn Road] at 32kilometres.
Yeah it's a nice piece of Bush and wetland/creeks - free camping, campfires, some fishing maybe - but we all go elsewhere ; beaches , national-parks , islands , rainforests , gorges , lakes , mountains - hardly anyone has
heard of Barakula.
Queensland isn't paradise though - about 92% is cleared farm-land that only turned-out to be good for cattle - not crops.
The other 8% is : national-parks , state-forests , cities or mines in that order.
Mind-you the rainforests and the sand islands are fantastic.
Qld is about two-and-a-half to Three times the size of Texas or France.
Climate ranges from sub-tropical to tropical along the 2,700km east-coast ; there is some 'temperate' climate at altitude along the range but mainly around Toowoomba [pop 165,000] and all the inland is semi-arid in varying-degrees.
It's big , things are far-apart , you need a LOT of money for fuel , and a lot of DAYS to get anywhere.
>>
>>789791
Cry more you disgusting fucking kike roach. People like you make me sick.
>>
File: DSC_0010.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0010.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>790237
Theres good pig hunting grounds up north. It might be worth buying this book. Its gotlpads of good hunting/outdoors spots
>>
>>789595
seahawks are literally next door
>>
ive been there and i can honsetly say new zealand is the most retarded country in the world
>>
>>790958
T. Australia
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1047x638px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1047x638px
OP I'm not a rocket surgeon but maybe check out some of these dark green parts
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.