[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking the A.T.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 3

File: 20160529_114604.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160529_114604.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
So I'm hiking the A.T.

this is my set up

>100ft paracord
>wool blanket
>alpine design adventurer 2 tent
>water bottle(2 not pictured)
>buck 119 knife
>flashlight
>cold weather gloves, warm weather gloves
>beanie
>notepad and paper
>Alpinizmo Mt.Rainier 0 degree sleeping bag
>milsurp bag to carry it all

Not picture is my clothing, boots and rain jacket

Will also have roughly 2 lbs of peanut butter on my person at all times and I will restock along the way, I intend to barter any other food I may want

Wish me luck /out/
>>
>>779614
Why the paracord?
>>
Also, I managed to fit a tarp inside of my tent bag. I have a fuckton of wool socks too, and a pair of long johns when it's cold as dick.
>>
>>779616
I like to use it for things, basically anything. You can use it for so much shit. Most of the time I cut small sections and melt the ends so they don't fray and I often am able to re-use those sections so I hardly waste any. Also, great for boot laces in the middle of the woods.
>>
>>779614
there's a loadout thread but that looks nice. are you only bringing peanut butter to eat? no stove or anything like that either?
>>
>>779614
>I intent to barter food
Just pack significant food or turn your thru hike into a day hike so you don't end up freezing and starving after a week.
>>
>>779621
I wouldnt have a reason for a stove and I can make a fire to warm myself. I grew up poor so eating only peanut butter is not an issue for me it is basically what I already do, but like I said along the trail I could likely barter.
>>
>>779624
2 pounds of peanut butter is more than enough for me to cover 100 miles. I will be able to restock easily. The barter is for whenever I want something other than peanut butter. You misread the post.
>>
>>779630
No I didn't, you can't live off peanut butter alone dipshit.
>>
>>779614
This is pretty clever bait...
>>
I guess I missed what you intend to barter, is it the peanut butter? Everyone who wants peanut butter is going to bring it with them dude, it's pretty much a hiking staple. Also, how are you planning to distribute it? Tell them to hold out their hand and whap a dollop into their palm? If people give you anything it's because they don't want to be interviewed about a dead hiker on the 5 o'clock news
>>
>>779614
This will not work, but you already knew that OP.
Fair attempt at best.
>>
>>779647
You can for a few months, but no, I intend to make trades and if I NEED to I have money.
>>779650
Why is it bait
>>779651
Dont just say dumb things just to say them
>>
>>779662
Why do you think you can fail at walking up hills? I've done this before.
>>
I hope you do it anon, we can use another body, this is the most active this board been for months.
>>
File: DSC_0426.jpg (163KB, 1600x1067px)
DSC_0426.jpg
163KB, 1600x1067px
>>779614
Peanut butter is not a sufficient food supply. Eating a pound or more of peanut butter a day is going to get old really, really fast. Morale and nutrient considerations aside (and they are very serious consideration) you will have a very hard time cramming enough peanut butter into yourself to meet your caloric needs, and if you fail to do so you won't have the energy to hike.

Peanut butter also tends to have a lot of salt, which will make you want to drink more, and you don't appear to have any sort of water filtering and purification equipment.

Lastly, a zero-fiber diet while dehydrated means you will very literally be shitting bricks, assuming you shit at all and don't just end up with an impacted stool.
>>
>>779679
If you read the thread you would know that this is already my diet. Has been for a long long long time. Also, you aren't a doctor.
>>
>>779678
>dying on the A.T.
basically as likely as getting eaten by sharks
>>
why not just pack some food so you don't have to go around and try to buy/trade food from other hikers
the reasoning is so weird
>>
>>779679
Next thing I notice is that you are trying to use a USGI dufflebag as a backpack. This will suck for any significant distance, let alone the length of the Appalachian Trail. These bags are literally just plain canvas bags with no structure at all. The straps are merely an afterthought, and aren't meant for load-bearing. While you aren't attempting to carry any significant weight, the floppy nature of the bag will mean that everything will be bouncing and shifting around constantly, sapping your energy.

Another problem with the bag is that it has no waterproofing consideration at all. If it rains while you're hiking all your shit will get soaked. At the very least you should get a giant contractor grade garbage bag and use it as a makeshift liner.
>>
>>779690
>>779679
>answering this thread seriously
why?
>>
>>779688
To me it is very logical and effective to carry emergency type rations and get my food as I move. I am in shape to hike upwards of 40 miles per day(I do marathons), so getting to a place with a meal or different rations is not difficult. Also, the emergency shelters along the trail often have food.

Forgot to address my water filter
I have a sawyer mini, it is at a friends house right now will pick it up tomorrow
>>
>>779682
Then you have scurvy, and have likely lost all your teeth. This might explain why you are so adamant about eating a uniform paste.

I also applaud you at attempting to hike the Appalachian Trail while suffering from rickets. This really amps up the difficultly level.
>>
>>779690
It is actually very comfortable. This is not my first time doing this.

>>779693
"If you have nothing nice to say ______."
>>
>>779696
But I do. masterbaitor.
>>
>>779695
You are saying a lot of things that have never once affected me. I am in very good health.

Repeating them wont make it true. Just leave the thread if you have nothing to offer me, I have already told you that these conditions you are talking about are not an issue. I micr manage my health and would never let myself be sick.
>>
>>779701
post teeth
>>
>>779701
*micro manage

I mean no offense by any means, but the nutritional aspect is a non-issue for me. I could hike the A.T. with ramen noodles and be fine.
>>
>>779704
Never had a cavity in my life. Stop trying to troll me.

>>779700
Why do you guys insist on trolling people that are actually leaving their computers
>>
>>779708
Peanut butter does not contain Vitamin C or Vitamin D.
>>
>>779650
yeah, right, it's hilarious though
> poorfag
> spends 100 dollars on a knife
> that gimmick sleeping bag
> That big tent
> paracord
> barter with peanut butter (this one is gold)
> eat nothing but peanut butter
> That backpack haha
> wool blanket
> That Steve Zissou hat

> So i'm hiking the A.T.

Good luck
>>
>>779666
>You can for a few months
>I intend to make trades
No.
>>
>>779712
Yes.
>>779711
You can't out hike me.
>>779709
I bring multi vitamins, but that isn't food.
>>
>>779666
>Bartering with peanut butter
>Not bait

But in case this isn't bait, I do hope you have a nice hike.
>>
>>779717
If it happens to fail I have $$$.

The A.T. is little sections of trails with society every 15 miles or even less

You would honestly have to be elderly to not be able to hike it.

You honestly dont need ANY gear.
>>
>>779670
>I've done this before
posted foolish threads?
>>
>>779743
I have really got to wonder. Do most people consider walking with a backpack difficult? Is that a thing?
>>
>>779709
>Vitamin C or Vitamin D
I can get Orange Julias when in towns.
>>
>>779716
>You can't out hike me
Want to bet? Anything less than 10 miles is car camping.
>>
>>779748
This person is not OP. I am OP.

I hae stated that I have multi vitamins and money for emergencies.

This thread consists of people that think the A.T. is broken up into little sections, grandma and the kids could do the A.T.

The PCT I would take more seriously.
>>
>>779745
>Do most people consider walking with a backpack difficult?
I've never implied that.
>>
>>779749
Yeah, I do. You can't. Outside of going /out/ for fun it is basically my JOB to hike. 20 mile days are rainy days.
>>
>>779752
It just seems to be the whole essence of this board. You guys tell people they can't do things that happen to be very easy for even completely average people.
>>
>>779614
>roughly 2 lbs of peanut butter
I would suggest Almond or Cashew butter. They are much more nutritious and have more essential omega-3s needed.
>>
>>779753
Please to teach me your ways of /out/ness for me?
>>
>>779751
>grandma

This is true. I did most of it. I'm 66F and they recently found my body and journal.
>>
>>779756
Interesting. Thanks for the tip, will look into this.

>>779757
Best advice I can give anybody is to make the woods your home. Just feel good and relaxed out there. I have been to the woods with a lot of people that didn't even do that and it affects your performance more than being obese.
>>
>>779756
>Almond or Cashew butter.
How are you not reading and understanding what I said. Peanut butter. I do this every day already.
>>
>>779760
People also frequently die walking up stairs.
>>
>>779762
Not OP.
>>779761
This is OP.

You are a shit troll whoever you are trying to impersonate me. At least match my writing style you dog.
>>
>>779761
>people that didn't even do that
So become in tune with nature? Is there good music to listen to to help this quicker?
>>
>>779764
Not OP.
>>779762
This is OP.
>>
>>779765
No dude, almost all people have rewired their brain for constant stimuli. Accept the being bored as hell and eventually it goes away and while you do this you will gain lots of confidence in the woods.

So, spend time in the woods. Everytime you feel tired of the woods say to yourself "am I meant to be a pussy in an office".
>>
>be hiking the AT summer of '16
>fine for a few days
>keep finding gloves with shit all over them strewn on the trail
>occasional whiffs of jiff at night
>mid morning a few weeks in we hear a strange gunting up trail
>Come across a creature dragging something
>Looks like a frail, pasty man wrapped in paracord
>a green caracas of a seabag with broken straps pulled behind him
WUT.jpg
>He spots us and turns as fast as his rickety bones can take him
>"BARTHER!" he cries through gapped teeth
>"BARTHER, BATHER WRIF ME THRAVLER"
>he's close now, close enough to smell the rancid peanut oil on his skin
>he reaches into his grimey pockets and pulls a stringy pound of PB in both hands, shoving them in my face
"Hey man, you don't look so good" I say
>the creature recoils
>"MICRAW MANGING!" he screams as a few more teeth leave his jaw
>I'm done
>throw some dry fruit on the ground between us
>he drops to his boney knees and starts shoveling mango jerky, sticks and dirt into his maw
>buddy and I stiffly walk up trail
>Shouts of "I'LL OUT HIKE YOU" follow us for a good quarter mile
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-29-13-34-11.png (286KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-29-13-34-11.png
286KB, 1080x1920px
>>779764
Me
>>779766
Shit troll

You've been debunked. I will use a tripcode if you keep it up.
>>
>>779682
>you aren't a doctor.
Are you positive about this?
>>
>>779769
OP here, fucking kek'd hard as hell great visual 10/10
>>
>>779772
Proof or gtfo

Wouldn't listen to you anyways m8
>>
>>779767
>meant to be a pussy
You misunderstanding me. I'm am male, not female.
>>
>>779775
Then you should have a great time bro!
>>
>>779774
I have a doctorate. No I'm not going to photograph it for your sorry ass.
>>
>>779780
Is it common practice for a doctor to give blind advice to a person whose condition they are completely unaware of?
>>
>>779782
>whose condition
>>779679
I am giving basic nutritional advice. I did not diagnose anything.
Your condition is very obvious.
>>
>>779786
Well thanks for the nutritional advice that is very nice of you. However I am in the best shape of my life and I'm a distance runner.
>>
>>779763
>die walking up stairs
and sleeping
>>
OP I don't know if you're still around but I'm a Marine and the pack you're using is awful. It's literally just a storage bag that you throw shit in and forget it, almost like luggage. Please, if you're going to through hike, buy an actual pack. Your back will thank me.
>>
>>779614
60+ posts OP. Well played.

I would have been more likely to bite if you included the water bottles. I don't believe you have 2.
You should also bring condoms.
>>
>>779791
>going to through hike, buy an actual pack
Thank you for your advice but did you not see my post about no backpack needed for AT.

I'll be fine with my gear.
>>
>>779791
I have been hiking and camping with this pack for years. I actually find it to be very comfortable.

>>779792
The other 2 bottles are gatorade bottles that I fill with water, no need for fancy bottles

Lol condoms
>>
>>779795
Not OP

This troll is right. You do not need gear for the A.T. due to the amount of adjacent society, however this troll is a dick and ruining my thread.
>>
>>779769
>"BARTHER, BATHER WRIF ME THRAVLER"

o i am laffin
>>
>>779792
>>779796

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should sink like 200 bucks on an ILBE pack that we use for humps (usually 70+ pounds), but something. anything is better than a sea bag. Seriously. Anything. A fucking jan sport backpack would be better than that thing.

I plan on hiking the AT when my enlistment is up (~9 months) and imo the OP is grossly unprepared or trolling. Then again, I'm just assuming he's through hiking.
>>
>>779802
I have said a lot of times that I have done this before. The pack is very comfortable the straps are honestly nice on my shoulders. I put the soft items in the back of the back so if I sit down it is basically a pillow. I have had real packs(gave like 1100 dollars worth of camping gear to a homeless guy 2 years ago and have been using this gear ever since with no issues) and they don't serve much improvement until you get to a weight that you would need waist support.

Also thanks for your service bro
>>
>>779798
>ruining my thread
I find this hard to believe. Also, you agree with anon but call him a troll.
>>
>>779807
He quoted something I said earier in the thread and it is true regardless of who says it, however he is being sarcastic and thusly I must point out that he is trolling.
>>
Good luck captain peanut butter
>>
>>779614
>So I'm hiking the A.T.
>>779796
>I have been hiking and camping with this pack for years. I actually find it to be very comfortable.
>>779753
>Outside of going /out/ for fun it is basically my JOB to hike. 20 mile days are rainy days.
>>779719
>You would honestly have to be elderly to not be able to hike he AT.
>You honestly dont need ANY gear.

How again is this not a troll thread?
>>779769
>Shouts of "I'LL OUT HIKE YOU" follow us for a good quarter mile
Brilliant
>>
>>779614
>I intend to barter food

Well, if that's the case, you have a severe lack of cigarettes and Chapstick, m8. Have you ever segment hiked the AT at all? Booze will get you a long way too.
>>
>>782441
The barter is not exactly the end all be all and certainly not even 40% of the way I will eat and I think less of you that you would assume so.
>>
>>782471
???
>>
>>779686
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html
>>
OP here I died.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.