[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HAM-mocks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 47

Let's talks about hammocks.

Ask about hammocks if you're interested. We can offer advice.

Post your hammock set ups.

Talk about how you've failed in a hammock, and how you've overcome it (or abandoned it).

Anything hammock related.

Except.....Don't talk about hammocks vs tents. There's another thread for that. Each has their merits.

This is a happy hammock thread.
>>
Just from that set up it looks like hammocks are only good for good weather. What are the limits for using a hammock as far as weather is concerned?
>>
>>777056
just pull the tarp lower, maybe another if there's wind along ya
>>
>bring hammock
>have to bring 3 tarps because wind and rain
>have to use 120L rucksack and tarps still take up half my pack
>>
Anyone have any experience with ticket to the moon hammocks? I want a nice, large hammock for lounging, not necessarily for camping.

Are there other brands I should be looking at with similar sizes to their king size?
>>
>>777119
>be a pussy
>too retarded to use a tarp with doors
>shitpost in hammock threads
>>
>>777145
>tarps
>tarps with doors

Next you're gonna fucking tell me fire is wet
>>
>>777145
>Tarps with doors

Do you mean a tent you monglord?
>>
>>777056
With the right tarp, there are no limits to hammock use, at least none related to weather.
>>
File: Common-Hammock-Tarps.jpg (76KB, 792x612px) Image search: [Google]
Common-Hammock-Tarps.jpg
76KB, 792x612px
>> what are tarps and how do they work
>>
>>777200
That 4 season tarp looks remarkably like a tent bro.
>>
Are there any adverse effects on your back when sleeping in a hammock?

Heard from a friend who slept in one for the majority of two years. He now hates em for giving him back problems.

Could it have just been the way he slept on them, or that the hammock has been fastened at a wrong distance/angle?
>>
Sure, it looks like a tent from the outside. But the big difference is that you don't sleep on the ground like a pleb.
>>
>>777214
Still superior to a real tent because you aren't sleeping on the ground
>>
>>777262
Many people sleep in them full time. You won't develop back problems just from sleeping, there are other issues at play for him if he has back problems. If it was sleeping position, it would resolve after he changed beds.
>>
>>777162
>>777147

Tarp with doors.
>>
>>777119

...the fuck do you need three for? What are you using them for?
>>
File: ok.jpg (14KB, 447x447px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
14KB, 447x447px
>>777326

Holy fuck. You may as well just use a tent at this point.
>>
>>777214

And yet you can use it in other configurations and infinitely adjust it as the weather and other circumstances demand, while a tent will always just be a tent.
>>
>>777355

Alright we get it. That'll do, pig. That'll do.
>>
File: 12014451.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
12014451.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
I dropped my heavy double layer DD hammock for a simple net hammock. I guess I will switch back to a single layer hammock because they are more comfy and suffer no twisting.
>>
>>777360
Net hammocks are terrible, they are fine for a short nap but they are terrible for everything else.
>>
>>777355
You can't sleep in a hammock in the tent.

We get it, you liek tents.

Read OP's post. Relax.
>>
>>776975
I don't really know anything about hammocks. How are they in cold weather?
I always imagine that a tiny bit a rain and some wind and you'll freeze.
I know if you suspect rain, you'd put up a shelter of some kind but i still think it's be far colder than a sleeping mat between you and the ground
>>
>>777391
The colder it gets the fancier the setup you need. The wind bares right on you in a hammock unless you do a super low tarp setup, in which case there's still a draft. Down to around 50°F with low winds I can stand it just by throwing a sleeping bag in my hammock, nothing fancy. But when you lay in it like that, the sleeping bag insulation compresses against the hammock and creates a super thin membrane that the wind passes right through. (This is without wearing any sort of insulating base layers)

In colder temps you'll want something like OP's pic, an underquilt, which won't get flattened when you lay in the hammock and ruin the insulating effect. I don't have one of those and I just don't use a hammock in temps too cold, so someone else will have to answer for how cold they're willing to go with a setup like that.
>>
>>777404
>the sleeping bag insulation compresses against the hammock and creates a super thin membrane that the wind passes right through.
This was my real worry.
Also as a 'side sleeper. I feel like it would be either uncomfortable or unhealthy for my spine.
I'd still love to try one though.
>>
File: DSCF4544-2.jpg (472KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4544-2.jpg
472KB, 2400x1600px
>>777056

Basic common sense as to direction of pitch in relation to wind and terrain features, just like with anything.

3x3m tarp will give a generous A frame over most hammocks, and you can get bigger (4.5x3m) or ones with attachable (or integrated) doors if you want to seal it up.

And to all the haters, the weight of a large tarp and non-UL hammock is roughly equivalent to the that of a 1-2 man tent.

I've been more comfortable in my hammock in winter storms than my pals in tents.

>>777162
>>777147
>>777355

low-IQ troll

>>777214
bro, tents have poles bro,
also bro, tarps are one 2d flat piece of fabric and bro, you know bro, tents usually aren't.

>>777391
All about that insulation. Just like in a tent you're not going to sleep without a sleeping bag and a pad, and expect your tent to keep out the water - In a hammock you have bottom insulation (pad or UQ), top insulation (bag or TQ) and protection from the elements (tarp).

I used to use a UQ but too much hassle with setup so now I use two CCF pads, they're only R2 at best so I overlap in the middle ( 'V' shape) so theres double under my core. The sides curl up over my shoulders similarly to an UQ and helps with wind gusts. Been good down to -10C
>>
>>777411
Well what the fuck's the point of the hammock? You can only set it up in a few locations where the trees are arranged just right, but you can throw down a bivy or a small tent anywhere. There's no competition.
>>
>>777437

Uhh, it's comfy?

And guess what I do when there AREN'T trees? That's right skippy, I set up on the ground.

So you're right there is no competition.
>>
>>777437
For sleeping as good as you would at home in your own bed you stupid faggot

For sleeping in extremely uneven terrain where it will be almost impossible to find a flat place to set up a tent on level ground
>>
>>777437
>where the trees are arranged just right
>arranged just right
>just right
>right

uhh you mean 3.5 - 7m apart?

>what is rope
>>
>>777451
>Set up on the ground

Might as well just bring a bivy then.

>>777459
If you have a bivy or small tent you literally just drop it anywhere you have a 2*1m clearing, which is never that far.

>>777514
Because there's always trees right?
>>
>no Hank Scorpio Hammock District ITT
Shame
>>
>>777522

obvious troll is obvious.

Wtf do I need a bivy for if I have a tarp? Do you even go inna?

And there aren't trees everywhere which is exactly why I take sleeping pads rather than an UQ.

Fuck off troll.
>>
>>777408

A better idea is using a sleeping bag that has to zip pulls, so you can open it at the top and bottom while having the rest zipped up. Then you slide it over the hammock, like a sleeve, which creates a perfect little cocoon without compressing the insulation.
>>
>>777408

Also, I sleep on my side in my hammock no problems. What people don't seem to understand is that if you hang it properly (ie not too tight or too loose) the hammock will conform to your body while still providing just the right amount of support. It's comfy in the extreme. I've never had a single sore muscle or cramp from sleeping in a hammock.
>>
>be me
>be in florida
>use hammock because dont want to sleep on mushy ground
>its raining a little
>wake up in middle of night to piss
>its raining A LOT
>fall into 3 feet of slop
>fuck, im covered head to toe in muck
>I find my backpack has drifted away
>have to be muddy and wet in a hammock until the water levels go down enough to where I can escape

Was like 2 days until I could go back to civilization, the 10 mile hike back to my car was horrible, which i had to wash the inside of after I got home.

Hammocks arent for every one
>>
>>778043
You shouldve pissed in a bottle
>>
>>778043
If you'd have tied your pack to the tree you'd have been fine, also if it was 3 feet deep a tent would have been loads worse in that situation
>>
Anyone use this one, Or any grand trunk hammocks? Are they any good.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/grand-trunk-air-bivy-extreme-shelter/1993860.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhammocks%2F_%2FN-1101326%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104371380&No=0
>>
>>778178
I have a Grand Trunk hammock, just a basic as it gets hammock though. Great brand and it hasn't failed me yet, go for it
>>
>>778043
>hammocks arent for every one

sounds like you were better off than if you had been in a tent.

your own damn fault for pitching in a flood plain
>>
>>778559
>>778114
If I had a tent my pack would be inside it and I would notice rising water levels LONG before they reached such depth

>>778060
I really should have
>>
Do people use hammocks for camping or do they just use them as nerd cred?
>>
>>777357

>And yet you can use it in other configurations and infinitely adjust it as the weather and other circumstances demand,

Are any of those configerations as good as a $30 Walmart tent?
>>
>>777262
No. It all depends on the angle of the hammock and the angle at which you lay in the hammock. They are both very easy to get right if you watch a YouTube video or two. It's easy and comfortable.
>>777408
I am a side/stomach sleeper in my bed. In my hammock I became a side/back sleeper. I have a warbonnet black bird and a hammock gear incubator 20 (under quilt) with 2 Oz of overstuff. I have taken it down to 10 degrees with light wind and I definitely could have gone colder. I have about $600 in my setup which is tarp, underquilt, hammock, and just a plain blanket or sleeping bag liner that gets swapped out depending on temp. It is more comfortable than all of the ground setups I've used.
>>
>>778696
Try harder
>>
Serious question.
In heavy weather what stops water running down the ropes from beyond the tarp edge or around the treetrunk and pooling in the hammock under your arse?
>>
>>778817
You tie a bit of cordage onto the ropes so the water runs down and drips off of that, instead of running down the hammock. Most hammocks won't come with this feature, so it's a simple thing you'll need to do yourself.
>>
Does your dog sleep in the hammock with ya?
>>
Im seriously considering getting a hammock for myself, whats a good hammock for under 70$? theres a lot of options and i dont know what to look for. I live in north florida, so cold isnt a big issue, but rain and bugs are.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (142KB, 1850x1077px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
142KB, 1850x1077px
>>778793

Not an argument my hipster doofus new friend
>>
>>778856

>i dont know what to look for.

You made that clear when you said you were looking for a good hammock
>>
>>778874
Dont be a faggot.
>>
>>778826
Yep, real easy to do.

I've never had to, I use cinch buckles, and the extra webbing material hangs off the buckle, creating a water break, water drips down no problem.
>>
>>777120
I have a single size tickettothemoon hammock. It's fine, no complaints
>>
>>778856
You have a lot of options.

If you want to save a little, Yukon Outfitters makes nice hammocks for the price. Don't ever pay full price because they go on sale at woot.Com like once a month. The double hammock is alrighr, the freedom hammocks are nicer. I have one of each and prefer the freedom.

If you want a high quality custom made hammock, try dutchware. You pick the fabric, and had add a suspension, total will be under $70 for hammock and suspension. Get an 11 foot model. Tons of fabric choices, can get kind of confusing. I have a Hexon 1.6 hammock from dutchware. The Hexon 1.6 is a nice middle ground. Light, strong, not too stiff, not too stretchy. You can get Hexon 1.0 and be lighter, or 2.4 and be heavier. The heavier the fabric, the stronger and less stretch.
>>
>>778583

Still don't know how you can blame the hammock for that. It's your poor site choice by the sounds of it.
>>
>>778696

Significantly better than many $100 - 200 tents I've used.
>>
Hey guys, new-to-hammocksfag here, looking to get some advice. I've been looking into buying a hammock, but am pretty poor, so looking at a few cheap ones: DD Camping hammock or the Snugpack Tropical. The DD is pretty cheap including shipping, since i'm a eurofag and the Snugpack is locally available. They're both 2,7 meter long and i've heard, that for my height, which is 1.93(6'3) the hammock should be at least 3 meters long. So, i am open to any suggestions, but I have 3 main conditions: price, Europe, my height.
>>
>>779208
DD makes nice hammocks. I have an 11 ft hammock that I love, but slept fine in my 10ft hammock as well.

If you're on a budget, DD is nice stuff.

If you have access to a sewing machine, it's really, really easy to sew a hammock and make your own. 1 month ago I had never sewed anything in my life. I found a seeing machine for $25 and now I've made my own top quilt, underquilt, Ridgeline organizer, several stuff sacks, a gear hammock, bear bag, and ground cloth.
>>
>>779297
Tell me about the design of your top quilt. I'm planning to make one too
>>
>>779297
Thanks for the advice!
>>
Any of you ever tried fucking in a camping hammock?

To hell with hammocks.
>>
File: sure! where's your tent.jpg (515KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
sure! where's your tent.jpg
515KB, 2048x1152px
>>779319
>Yeah, anon, let's do it in your tent.

Uhh,....I have a hammock.
>>
Ctrl+F = "Shug"

Phrase not found...

Come on OP the guy is the authority on hammock camping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

A playlist for the noobs.
>>
File: image.jpg (574KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
574KB, 1000x1000px
I like this Hennesy I bought, looks like a spaceship
>>
I bought a new Enu single hammock at an REI sale and was looking at the accessories. They had a rain cover that was basically an over glorified tarp for a ridiculous amount of green. I figure I could do just as well with a tarp, some para-cord, and some stakes. I would like to get an underquilt though.
>>
>>779322
Hammock just saved you buddy
>>
>>777360
>>777382
i always wondered about these net hammocks.. not good for sleeping?
>>
>>778583
sounds like you're mad that your bag drifted away and you think its the hammocks fault?

>clipping gear to the hammock

theres no way that situation you described would be any better in a tent?
>>
>>779623
I could have escaped if it was a tent, because my tent would have been leaking at an inch of water. I would be leaving sooooo long before it got to 3 feet. I would have been stuck for 2 days regardless of if I got wet with the hammock.
>>
>>779429
is this oc? fucking awes picture
>>
>>777411
this is also a dope picture senpai
>>
>>777411
Is that shitty foam mat good enough? I have one and am wondering if i would need a better one.
>>
File: DSCF5430.jpg (259KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5430.jpg
259KB, 2000x1333px
>>779634

yes mate all the gear. if you weren't a tard you wouldn't have camped there in the first place.

>>779641
cheers

>>779724
I use two, overlapped, IMO one is not enough under your core but two work. Half overlapped gives double under you and the single layers on the side are enough for your shoulders
>>
>>779845
The fuck you mean by "yes mate all the gear" I cannot make sense of that statement

And yeah, was a shitty location I think thats pretty obvious
>>
This weekends sleep.
>>
>>779853
you're blaming the hammock when you should be blaming yourself
>>
>>779881
I didnt say it wasnt my fault

I was implying a different type of gear would nake up for my retardation

Kill yourself
>>
File: 1464567349812649512123.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1464567349812649512123.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>779302
Honestly super simple.

I ordered from ripstopbytheroll, they have nice fabrics for cheap.

Since it was my first try, I ordered 1.1 polyester fabric. About the cheapest stuff they have. I got it in black, they also throw in free guterman thread with every order which is nice. I used Apex 5.0 for the quilt which should be good to 30 degrees.

Again, I made mine simple, less cuts, less hassle. You end up with a slight boxier, heavier wuilt, but works great and covers well the way I did it.

Basically cut 2 identical pieces of fabric, about 84 inches by 52 inches. Then cut a piece of the insulation the same size.

Now stack them. Insulation on bottom, then one layer of fabric, then the other layer on top.

Sew 3 sides with the insulation facing down on your sewing machine.

Now sew about 3/4 of the last side. Then turn the quilt inside out. You'll basically have a square blanket now. Sew the hole shut you used to flip the quilt inside out.

To make the footbox I did a flat sew. Do the flat sew, then turn the quilt inside out (so the flat sew stitches are in the inside), and you're done. Pic related to show the flat sew on my quilt.

I can make one in under an hour.
>>
>>779448
Underated comment.
>>
File: humanwaffle_thumb.jpg (51KB, 504x378px) Image search: [Google]
humanwaffle_thumb.jpg
51KB, 504x378px
>>779608
No, the netting digs into your skin. It sucks. Pic related.
>>
>>779857
nice breh.. hootchie? and what hammock?
>>
question. if it rains will the hanging ropes not send water on down to the hammock itself and negate the cover provided by the tarp?
>>
>>780186
short answer: yes

long answer: yes but not enough to actually make a difference.

additional point: can be almost completely negated by sensible set up - drip line or something acting as a drip line from your suspension [that is under the cover of the tarp]

>>779891

same to you -just keep sleeping in flood plains, friend.
>>
>>779974
Thanks man, Looks nice and easy, one more question though, when you flip it inside out to sew the last part to close it, do you have to make small cuts in the hem, cause to my understanding the seems will be on the inside except for that last part, or you just let it twist itself? I was planning on making a down quilt cause i just bought an old down sleeping bag for 15 euro's with good down, but it's too small and a bad design. I wanna keep it simple so i'm just gonna go with your design and make it karo stitch through. Only difference is i need to alternate stretches of stitches through the two fabrics and stuff the down before closing it. The sleeping bag has enough down so i don't have to calculate shit, i'll just fill it up until i think it's enough. But i don't want any down coming out of the place where the hems go inside out...
>>
>>779423

Yeah I thought he was a douche at first but the cheeky cunt won me over heh
>>
>>779634

So you're blaming the hammock

for keeping you dry
>>
>>777411

That's one of the things nobody ever talks about with hammocks: dat view

Because it's so adaptable you can wake up feeling like you're actually in nature. Bivy bag experience with none of the discomfort.
>>
>>779891

No gear on earth can make up for retardation.
>>
>>780295
I used synthetic apex insulation, which does not leak, or shift, so the seams didn't matter.

I made last seam that you mention be part of the footbox, so when you finish it, that last little bit is sew up once to finish, then once again when you do the flat sew footbox.

Basically sew 3 sides, then sew 3/4 of the last side. Make that 3/4 side be the footbox. Roll that last bit over one then sew, will keep down from leaking, then make that end the footbox, so it'll have another line of stitches over it.
>>
>>780300
He's a professional juggler if that gives you an idea where he gets his humor. You're right though, comes off first as being a little douchey, but he wins you over with his experience and knowledge. The guy has a lot of years and miles of experience.
>>
>>777459
Shit yeah this, a hammock is absurdly comfy, it literally just induces sleep. Those groundhuggers have no clue
>>
>>780306
Liar
>>
File: 1436216402066.jpg (89KB, 600x663px) Image search: [Google]
1436216402066.jpg
89KB, 600x663px
>>776975
>Can't take them to the desert
>Can't take them to the beach
>Can't take them to the mountains
>>
>>779322
>2016
>not using your hammock as a sex swing for servicing trail babes
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 600x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 600x660px
>>782593
>trees don't grow on mountains
>trees don't grow on beaches
>>
>>782671
>Palm trees,
>Bullshit rock pegs things climbers use.
>A stand
>Large rock
>cacti

Any more shitposting you retard?
>>
>>782920
Trees grow on both beaches and mountains idiot, the point of my post was to contradict the anon I was replying to stupid faggot
>>
File: hammock.jpg (278KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
hammock.jpg
278KB, 1000x564px
DD hammock and tarp from a trip last week, had it for probably 5 years now and its still going strong.
>>
File: my_sleeping_rig.jpg (136KB, 561x1443px) Image search: [Google]
my_sleeping_rig.jpg
136KB, 561x1443px
Here's my rig. DD Jungle hammock with top and bottom tarps, Snugpak underquilt. I also have a small canvas hammock I hang next to my sleepin hammock to hold my stuff and keep it in reach. Before bed I use that little hammock as bench/seat. It's nice
>>
>>783002
Does stringing it lower help with wind resistance? I'm going on my first hammock camping in bad weather this weekend and I'm worried about my tarp setup. Best way to prevent it from becoming a kite?
>>
>>783015
>Does stringing it lower help with wind resistance?

Potentially. If I'm expecting bad weather I have the tarp pegged directly to the ground.

Make sure its evenly tensioned, it's not a big deal if strong winds hit your tarp and cause one side to blow out and one to cave in, so long as its not flapping you're good as that is what will wear out the tarp.

>Best way to prevent it from becoming a kite?

A tent relies on lightweight poles for structure while a tarp has the luxury of 2 trees and 500lb rope under high tension to form its shape, its not going anywhere.
>>
>>783002
Isn't it too low? Like 1 meter too low?
>>
>>783231
not that anon but as long as you're off the ground when the hammock is weighted it doesn't really make much difference.

In fact what I've found is if I pitch the hammock a foot lower than usual (still comfy to sit in), I can drop the tarp down and this dramatically reduces cross winds.

tl;dr lower/closed tarp = less wind
>>
>>782314

Yo mama
>>
File: DP2M0059.jpg (2MB, 4704x3136px) Image search: [Google]
DP2M0059.jpg
2MB, 4704x3136px
This past weekend's campsite
>>
Looks like a nice spot bro
>>
>>784326
Forgot to mention that this is a reply to >>784316
>>
What are ya'lls thoughts on hammock straps? I've got a hammock I use currently, but it's more of a lounging one rather than a sleep/camp use one. I've been reading online for new ones, and hammock straps are suggested for "the health of the tree." I'm using high-test paracord right now. Should I invest in straps?
>>
has anyone here ever shared a hammock? me and the gf are debating over a single hammock or two
>>
>>784356
Don't use paracord

It stretches too much, even the heart or paracord will give a lot.

Rope in general is not good for trees. It slips easier, and can damage the bark.

Absolutely get straps.
>>
>>784384
Go ahead and try it, 2 people in one hammock. In about 30 minutes you'll be pressed so hard against the other person you'll start to cramp, and if it's warm at all you'll be covered in each others sweat. It's terrible. Always use 1 person per hammock.
>>
>>784327
It was fantastic, perfectly hidden in a usually quite busy area of the countryside that I have easy access to, The rock overhang made a great natural heat reflector and the tarp took care of the prevailing wind direction. I'd just finished a long hike and was starting to look for a spot to camp, and found it within about 5 minutes, my legs definitely thanked me!
>>
Anyone know of any of the hammock tarps that would work wel for a ground dweller? They just seem larger than the ones marketed for non-hammockers.
>>
How awkward is sex in a hammock?

I have this policy of not buying anything I can't have sex on/with.
>>
I am 6ft5in and I see no hammocks for tall people like me. Why? What do I do?
6 5 is around 200 cm.
>>
what type of rope do you guys have for your hammock? how much can they carry? and how many do you usually carry around?
>>
>>784675
As it was mentioned, sew your own, or just check for extra large ones or doubles, etc.
>>
>>776975
Hate hammocks just because its the new trned and morons show up out in the desert trying to set up a hammock in a campground with zero capable trees.

Then they get mad when i make them take it down because they are breaking shit.

Know the limitations of the item! Not everywhere is fit for hammock camping
>>
>>784651
Same policy here bro. Yeah fucking a ho in a hammock is not easy you got to pack a 2 person one and even then it is like you can't get any leverage to go jackhammer mode.

In a tent you can pin your bro to the ground and really fail away at some ass.
>>
>>784675
Get an 11 foot hammock. The dutchware halfwit would probably work out fine.
>>
>>784953
Thank you for a proper solution! I'll check it out and maybe join the tree hanging club.
>>
>>786107
It's worth it assuming you live around woods.
>>
>>786107
Contact dutchware via email, he can make a 12 foot hammock for you. It has to be custom ordered. His prices aren't even crazy either, cheaper than a lame ENOUGH doublenest. Since you're big you might like the extra length. I'm 6'1" and my 11ft dutchware suits me fine.

Dutch has a ton of fabric choices. I like the Heron 1.6, Im like 225lbs and I find the stretch to be just right. If you're heavier you might go with the 2.4 fabric. Ask Dutch what fabric he recommends for your weight, and desired level of stretch.
>>
File: 20160604_193411-picsay.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160604_193411-picsay.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Pic of my hang last night.

Last fall I decided to go with all black gear. I kind of like the look.

I have an 11ft Dutchware Heron 1.6 (same guy as >>786652 ). Yukon Outfitters rain fly, cinch buckle suspension from Dutchware, and a Kelly Redwing 50.

My UQ and TQ are in my pack in the pic, both DIY Apex quilts that are all black.
>>
>>786652
>>784675
I'm 6'5" as well and the 11footer dutch has is perfect.
It even has a little extra space.
I did get the wide version though.
>>
>>783231

>Isn't it too low? Like 1 meter too low?

Why would a hammock be too low? There was about a ft of clearance when I was sitting in it.

I always rig it low as it's more discreet.
>>
Looking for something like this https://yukon-outfitters.com/products/mosquito-hammock?variant=10649951297 that's not out of stock.

I'm thinking about hennesy hammock, is it good? It looks like there's not a lot of headspace compared to the others. If I bought theirs I would buy the kids one because I am short enough to fit in it and it's cheaper than anything else that way but I don't know if that would be too claustrophobic. I am 5'2 and the kids hammock is maxium height of 5'7. I am also under the weight limit by 30 lbs. Is this a bad idea?
>>
File: rent-hammock-tent-in-st-george.jpg (171KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
rent-hammock-tent-in-st-george.jpg
171KB, 900x506px
WHY NOT ONE OF THESE
>>
>>788137
The kids hammock is a very small hammock. An adult would not fit, evendors a small adult.

Check woot.com every day, they have the Yukon hammocks come on sale like once a month. The Yukon mosquito hammock sells for $25-30 when it's on woot.
>>
>>788382
Also, Yukon hammockso are always available on amazon.
>>
File: image.jpg (818KB, 2179x1312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
818KB, 2179x1312px
This is my setup from a 3 night trip in a national forest in Virginia. Rained every night and I stayed dry. The rain hitting the tarp is very comfy. Makes me want to intentionally take trips in the rain now.
>>
Any thoughts on a Tentsile? Is it a meme?
>>
>>788374
for when you want the worst of both tent and hammock!

fuck off shill with your useless fucking products
>>
>>788392
Where in VA?
>>
>>788665

>the comfort of a hammock
>the security of a tent

whats not to love!
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>788722
Jefferson national forest

I was there for nuggetfest. Groundcucks get soggy
>>
>>788735
>security of a tent

what a fraction of an inch of nylon sure is protection KEK

you're basically a pussy if you feel 'safer' in a tent than a hammock. get a fucking grip.
>>
File: MPN375-2.jpg (129KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
MPN375-2.jpg
129KB, 500x375px
Sweet, a hammock general.

I bought this "survival net" thing at a brigade store last time I was near a fort, right? One of the things it says is, it can possibly be used as a hammock. It's big enough, for sure.

Never used a hammock, is it a thing where nets can double as hammocks? If not I mean, it was $8. Still cool to have, kinda.

Left mine in the truck, but there's a stock photo
>>
>>788890
i'm sure it can double just fine a hammy, although generally those netted kind aren't cumpfy for long durations (i.e. sleeping). but yeah, it can be done if you have a good way to lash it betwixt two trees.
>>
>>788904
Cool beans. Could I just put a light fleece blanket on it? I feel like a hammock+tarp would lighten my load immensely.
>>
>>788915
Depends on the weather. If it's gonna be below 50ºF you'll need more layers (particularly a non-compressible under layer). But one good thing about a mesh hammy is that it isn't quite as chilly as a fabric one (you aren't compressing the clothing/insulation under your as much)
>>
>>788929
HIGH
>>
>>788929
Ah ok I think I understand. Hammock+ blanket+ tarp is ok for warmer months, but then I'd just trade out the blanket for a sleeping bag when the weather starts to dip.
>>
>>788915
net hammocks are not very comfortable. Laying on a fleece blanket will add a minimal amount of warmth, and would work if it is hot outside. Your weight will compress the fleece enough that it won't insulate well at all.

>>788942
You cant use a sleeping bag in a hammock without a pad, or some other insulation below you. Even your fleece blanket won't work below you. You need something that does not compress. An underquilt or pad works. a 0 degree down sleeping bag will leave you cold in a hammock if the temp drops below 50. A cheaper synthetic one that does not compress as well, might get you to 35 degrees in a pinch.

My cousin found this out. 40 degree temps and he had a 15 degree bag, He was mildly hypothermic by morning.
>>
>>776975
i love ham-hocks! make fantastic soop
>>
>>789162
You can definitely use just a sleeping bag in warmer weather

I've been doing it since early May

It helps if you have a low tarp setup to still the air around you. A breeze will sap the heat right out.
>>
>>779319
>2016
>not fucking in the underbrush
>not getting in tune with your inner primordial man while smashing your primordial manhood into some qt trail bunny
What are you, gay?
>>
File: IMGP8109.jpg (703KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8109.jpg
703KB, 2048x1355px
>>789247
not him but I had sex in the underbrush once and it was the amazing sex experience ever. it was early august, dry, warm, under the stars at the edge of a big field in the middle of nowhere. we had been lying in the grass looking up at the milkyway and things just progressed.

sadly we both ended-up with poison ivy on our balls which was fucking miserable. the moment though, the moment was glorious.

pic is the very field in question, taken in a completely different year and season
>>
>>789162
Dang. Sounds comfy but expensive and almost as heavy as lugging my tent.
>>
Just spent a week camping out in a hammock for my job. didnt have a bug net so i was in a bivy in a hammock. although super hot at times during the week. the sleep itself was super nice. regardless of the immense amounts of black flies and mosquitos.

I was in the equivalent of an E.N.O. double nest
>>
>>789283
noice. defo would have been nicer with a skeeto net but glad you made it work.

what job btw if you don't mind me asking, perçeval famigliano?
>>
>>779322
i'm thinking a hammock isn't necessarily bad in this scenario, judging by the picture.
>>
>>789247
See
>>789249

>both ended-up with poison ivy on our balls

For once, you're right.
>>
>>789288
im an "outdoor leadership experience instructor"

basically im a therapist/outdoor guide for troubled youth/youth at risk, but in a wilderness setting.
kids come into the program and detox in the woods for 8-9 weeks straight. then move to a school for a year. my rotation is:

Week on (in the woods)
2 days off
4 days on (at the school)
week off
Repeat
>>
Just made 3 sets of whoopie slings. OOh yeah.

So simple and fun to make don't know why people bother buying premade ones at a premium .
>>
>>789249
How can you call yourself an /out/ist if you can't identify poison ivy?
>>
>>789592
Yeah I decided one day to get some amsteel and try it, amazing how easy it is to make a continuous loop, or adjustable Ridgeline. Haven't made whoopies yet, but the adjustable ridgelines are the same idea.
>>
>>789649
I identify poison ivy extremely well but when you're drunk in the dark in a spot that you've known your whole life to not harbor poison ivy, accidents can happen

personally I blame global warming for the influx of pestilence - poison ivy, ticks, skeetos, etc
>>
>>789649
I do identify myself as a poison ivy-kin, so don't even try calling me out, scum
>>
>>789667
exactly. I made a set of whoopies, continuous loops and soft shackles back in 2011/12ish, but after I refreshed my memory it only took me about an hour to do the 6 of them.

Just waiting on the fabric arriving for the hammocks, and I need to source a cheap (UK) load bearing static cord for the structural ridgelines..

Got some cord left over so I'll definately make a couple more sets of soft shackles, they are by far the most useful amsteel piece of gear - effectively a cord carabiner.

Next project is gonna be a mini single layer hammock (maybe 2.5 ish meters long) with an integral stuff sack, and with a set of extra long whoopie slings (usually use 4m raw length, maybe use 6 next time to give me an extra 1m distance).
>>
webbing and buckles or whoopie?
>>
File: taco bell Hammorito.jpg (114KB, 858x572px) Image search: [Google]
taco bell Hammorito.jpg
114KB, 858x572px
So I have a dumb idea. I love my hammock, but I hate the cold butt it gives me. Underquilts seem a little pricey (especially for the nice ones that compress really well, are made for specific model hammocks, or have a good temp rating. My current setup is an ENO double nest that I hang off a homemade atlas strap system (just climbers webbing with a bunch of bowlines.) The other day when I was in walmart I saw they have really cheap (~$20) camping hammocks. I thought that rather then spending $100 on a quilt with an attached hanging system I could instead spend 20 bucks on this hammock, put a blanket (maybe a space blanket or tarp for the wind?) and/or a sleeping bag in it, hang my hammock directly over it, and have a cheap, effective underquilt. With the Atlas strap system I can just hang the under hammock one bowline further in from my upper hammock to ensure there's enough space for a pocket of warm air to form and for me not to crush the under insulation. I'm bad at photoshop and I can't find any photos of this setup online, but I've attached a diagram which lays out the basic idea. Is this a good idea? Anyone think it's going to be effective?
>>
>>779208
Can't respond to the Europe and the cheap points but I'm 6'5 and fit very comfortably in my eno doublenest. Maybe look at the specs of that hammock and try to find something similar?
>>
>>790173
whoopies every time.

>>790333
>are made for specific model hammocks

yeah and no, even the 'specific' ones can be used to other hammocks. I use my DIY UQ on both my bridge (WBRR) and gathered end hammocks.

As for your idea, sounds like it could work, but you really don't need to buy a separate hammock, just buy 2-3m of ripstop on ebay, gather the ends and tie off with regular cord (as it doesn't need to be load bearing)
>>
>>790173
Personally I like webbing and cinch buckles, don't know why, I just do.
>>
>>790333
This comes up every time someone gets a hammock, then sees how much an under quilt costs.

It doesn't really work.

The problem is when you get in your hammock it sags, but the one below you does not. It's impossible to get the second hammock to hang juuuust right so there are no gaps or anything.

To make your own UQ, you can use a poncho liner. Google "PLUQ", there's lots of ways to do it. It's cheap and works.

You can also just get any sleeping bag and rig it up. Buy some tarp clips. They're maybe $1. They're used to clip on to a tarp to make a tie out point, but you can clip them on a sleeping bag and hang it as an UQ in a pinch. It works okay I should. I've done it once before and it was alright.

You can also make your own with limited sewing skills and about $50 of materials.

Or buy a snugpak underblanket for about $50.

Or buy a Jarbidge from arrowhead equipment for $100.

Or just use a cheap pad.

The taco bell hammorito just isn't viable.
>>
>>790598
re 'exact sag', i'd run it with 4mm shockcord, much like a UQ, I'm sure it could do a passable job.
>>
>>778038
I feel like that would affect the airflow inside and get real stuffy real fast
>>
>>782920
The peg things scare the fuck out of me, I went climbing once in my life

I was airborne infantry inna Army, jumping out of planes never bothered me, in fact I liked it, but fucking rock climbing
fuck no
never again
>>
I'm a fatass, any hammocks that sort 300+ lb men plus gear?
>>
>>790829

>affect the air flow

...normally you'd have it zipped up at the bottom. Is it "stuffy" then? What are you shilling for some underquilt company or something?
>>
>>790980
Firstly, I would suggest hitting a gym and losing some weight. I'm doing it myself. Secondly, I would look online for something that allows a higher weight margin. This said, don't keep your bag in hammock, tie that shit up a tree, 20 less lbs you have on or around you.
>>
>>790980
Lots of hammocks have a 400 lbs capacity.

My backup hammock is a Yukon freedom v2, 500lbs capacity.
>>
>>790980

theres quite a few heavyweight hangers (i recall seeing a mention of 400lb) over on hammockforums, go do a search over there if you're serious. Typical recommendations are up your whoopie slings a diameter from 7/64 to 1/8, and use a double layer of thicker material (1.6oz+), ripstop seems to be popular for peace of mind. You could build yourself a custom rig for under 30 bux
>>
>>784901
Fucking hate this, I like hammock camping but if the only trees available took 25 years to get to 6`` diameter and you hear cracking just get a swag or set up on the groun, I promise your 4chan friends won't belittle you for not killing trees.
>>
>>788739
Oh hey, were you the one that kept chucking vodka into the fire at like 3 am or is that another hammock guy?

Aslo, ground cuck speaking, wut is an under tarp?
>>
I wanted to do some backpacking and camping over in Glacier National Park and thought it would be best of I had a hammock because it's easier to carry around. I got ano Eno single, extending straps, and am about to buy their bug net. Does that seem sufficient or would anyone else suggest any other accessories?
>>
>>778178
i have a grand trunk double hammock
the hanging rings it came with were heavy as fuck, but after replacing them with light caribiners i have no complaints
>>
>>778817
>>778826
also wax your lines below drip cords
>>
>>777326

you've just elevated a tent without a floor
>>
>>791539
You'll want a tarp, and insulation, either pad or underquilt.

I don't hate ENO, but their stuff is heavy and expensive. They've gotten a lot of people into hammocks though, so can't fault them. Their tarps are ok, but like I said, heavy.

If you want an all ENO set up, go for it. People like ENO. But for half the price, you could have better stuff. Maybe not half price, but close.
>>
>>791564
Elevated tent with no floor, only with a bed inside that's much more comfortable than any pad you'd normally put in a tent.
>>
File: 20160612_095707-picsay.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_095707-picsay.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Just got back from an overnight, here was my set up.
>>
File: 20160612_095750-picsay.jpg (1006KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_095750-picsay.jpg
1006KB, 2048x1536px
>>791779
Another.

First time using my DIY under quilt. Worked well, but only went to about 60 degrees. Didn't feel any gaps though. Made it for about $60 total, and should be good to 30 degrees.
>>
File: 20160612_095731-picsay.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_095731-picsay.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>791781
Another just because.

Yukon Outfitters Tarp, Dutchware Hexon 1.6 hammock, top quilt was a Costco down throw I made into a top quilt using snaps. Pack is a Kelty Redwing 50.

All black set up.
>>
Anyone has any experience with amok?

http://www.amokequipment.com

Really want one, but expensive
>>
>>791800
>http://www.amokequipment.com
doesn't look like it's worth the money. War Bonnet makes some really great stuff for less than half the cost of those
>>
>tfw fag in orlando
>an allahu akbar killed about 50+ people in a gay club, injured 50 more
>I'm already terribly paranoid and want to get out and leave for awhile while this shit blows over
>but the hammock I ordered doesn't come in until thursday

I just want to go inna swamp and leave humanity behind already...
>>
>>791800
Over at hammock forums they were looked at kinda skeptical, but then Shug took one for a spin, and liked it. Now they're gaining momentum and people are buying them. I've heard good things about them.
>>
File: mbtuZjW.jpg (32KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
mbtuZjW.jpg
32KB, 500x376px
What's a good hammock for an all season, Canadian climate? Looking for something that will do the trick come winter as well. Price isn't an issue.
>>
>>792116
you better not be in me swamp
>>
>>792286
hammock is the same regardless of season, caveat being if it has an inclusive bug net for summer.

Any hammock can work for winter with the appropriate levels of insulation
>>
>>792425
Serious question, does any of that actually translate to any weight or bulk savings compared to a tent?
>>
>>776975
I am interested in the Fly used over hammocks, they are very simple looking and I would like to make my own, the sewing is simple enough with either grommets or sewn in strapping. But where could I find the kind of polyester, like really nice quality fabric. Any suggestions /out/?
>>
File: IMG_20160612_071810395.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_071810395.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
>>792436
Depends on your gear, I went camping on Florida last weekend with a Apriller hammock, (great btw, but it was my first time hammock camping so what do I know) with just some auto ratchets I had and a tarp from Walmart and it weighed as much as a tent. If I had a hammock rain fly and a Whoopi sling the weight if the three would be 1/4 what I was using. The hammock itself weighs 1pound 5 ounces, and the ratchets were 2+ pounds and the tarp was the same.
>>
>>777522
My hammock has a bugnet and waterproof bottom. It can be used as a bivy. I can also use my trekking poles to keep my hammock off the ground if I want to. Get rekt.
>>
>>792436
Typically similar, theres a range, some people do UL hammocks with one layer, slightly shorter length, dyneema whoopies, CF tarps, all that jazz, whereas others prefer double layer hammocks, separate bug nets, big silnylon tarps, etc.
>>
>>792511
Were you in a designated site or was it just dispersed? I have been hearing some talk online about how hammocking (or hanging anything from the trees) is technically illegal in fl but that doesn't make any sense. Did you ask the ranger if you could hammock before you went or just went and they didn't care about it?
>>
>>792587
It was in a state forest, but it was a 2 Mile hike in, yes and no? I didn't see a ranger, and I've never heard anything about hammcks not being allowed in Florida.
It was in a clearing that I guess is a campsite, but it was primitive camping.
>>
>>792504
Makeyourgear dot com

Ripstopbytheroll dot com

Both has kits available and instructions how to make a tarp. You can make them with cat cuts, hex, asym, winter with doors.... Lots of options.

The simple tarp is just a diamond shape. Hem the edges, add some webbing and reinforcementat the tie outs, seal the seams, and you're done. They're easy to make, just a lot of sewing.

Those 2 sites though have dozens of colors (including camos) of fabrics and many options for waterproof fabric, including expensive cuben fiber, and cheaper silpoly.
>>
>>792436
In winter? Not really.

A high quality tent, pad, and sleeping bag will be similar to high quality UQ, TQ, hammock, and tarp.

Depends on your tent too. Anot expensive backpacking tent that uses trekking poles will be as small as a hammock and tarp, but a Walmart tent will be 5 times as big.
>>
>>788792

Someone is poor
>>
>>792689
????
>>
>>779319
Use it as a sex swing, idiot
>>
>>792689
someone is deficient in mental faculties
>>
I have a question for hammock-lads. Where do you put your gear? Do you hook it around your hammock strap or what?
>>
>>794381

leave my bag under my hammock.

if you're really anal you can take a little ground sheet / roll pad off cut to sit it on, can be useful to stand on too when getting changed etc.

Some people tie their bag to one of the trees, pretty stupid IMO because in most cases theres no rain cover there and you just end up further from your stuff (whereas I just reach down to grab something)
>>
File: hammuckstuff.png (29KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
hammuckstuff.png
29KB, 700x500px
>>794381
here are my three options brâh. i have a little canvas hammy i use as a bench/swing and for gear storage/bedside stand
>>
>>794385
Mine is under my hammock too. I keep a small ground cloth if the ground is wet, or muddy or whatever. I rarely use it.
>>
>>794908
yeah this is by far the most practical

>>794389
on hammock line = throws hammock off
on its own hammock = unnecessary extra work
on the tree = too far away and more likely to get wet
>>
>>794934
>on hammock line = throws hammock off
nah not if you set it up with that in mind in the first place
>on its own hammock = unnecessary extra work
not if you setup the other hammock anyway to use as a bench and holder throughout the night
>on the tree = too far away
too far away? for what? you need to access like 1% of your belongings while you're sleeping.
>and more likely to get wet
please see trash bag/rain cover clearly indicated in diagram
>>
Just bought a double sized 'ticket to the moon' hammock. Anybody have any experience with them?
>>
>>794941
yes each problem has a solution as you clearly show, but why create the problem in the first place?

what are you so scared off putting your rucksack under your hammock?

>can reach your bag if you need something (unlike on a tree)
>receives cover of your tarp (not requiring its own cover)
>>
File: geeps_yourself.png (34KB, 481x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_yourself.png
34KB, 481x195px
>>795115
i bring my second hammy out specifically to use as a camp chair, so it's already there. at night i put my bedside stuff in it (water bottle, boots, etc) so I can reach it easily. it doesn't cause any problems for me whatsoever. i usually hang my pack off the tree and bag it if rain's an issue. i was just trying to help anon with some ideas is all
>>
Jacks r better mt washington 3 should be here next week.

How'd I do /out/? Been using DIY synthetic UQ until now.
>>
>>795317
oooo that looks absolutely luxurious. i suspect it's a high performer and you probably will be able to complete the rest of your life without replacing it. so take care of it because it's expensive as dicks
>>
>>778178
Ihave two of the cheap grand trunks they don't stretch as much as other hammock so its a nice firm lay
>>
>>795320
Believe it or not, I actually got it for free. Should be a solid 3.5 season UQ for me. Won't use it in the dead of winter or the warmest summer days. I have a 0 degree AHE New River synthetic quilt for winter, and a 35 degree synthetic DIY for summer when it's real warm.

I'm thinking the JRB Mt Washington 3 should be good from 20 degree to about 60 degrees if I vent it a little.
>>
File: typical male vegan shopper.jpg (55KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
typical male vegan shopper.jpg
55KB, 600x450px
>>789249
>we both ended-up with poison ivy on our balls
>both
>balls
>fucking a trap
>>
You nean enu? I love enuing!
>>
File: emu.jpg (644KB, 740x895px) Image search: [Google]
emu.jpg
644KB, 740x895px
>>795732
*emu
>>
You guys keep shit posting about "back problems". Go and travel outside your 1st world suburb and you fill find that millions of people around the world from SEA to Africa to S.A. sleep in hammocks just fine.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (255KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
255KB, 1000x1000px
Could I just buy the cheapest hammock I can find?

It seems like such a simple thing why would I spend more than £/$20 on this?
Its not like its gonna rip or snap in the night and I can fix any wear over time.
>>
File: _DD_Jungle_Hammock_Green_04.jpg (46KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
_DD_Jungle_Hammock_Green_04.jpg
46KB, 750x500px
>>796562
Cheap hammocks can and will "snap". Trust me. Ended up on my ass in a Grand Trunk Ultralight. They can definitely rip.

You're generally paying for the quality and style of fabric for a simple hammock. Even the nicest custom made hammocks shouldn't cost more than $60 (not sure about £).

If you make the hammock a double layer, or one that has an integrated bug net, the cost can double (or even triple).

You can also add extras to raise the cost, like different suspensions, ridgelines, top covers, ect.
>>
I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times before, but how comfortable is trying to sleep in a hammock? It looks like it would be comfortable at first, but awful once I actually wanted to sleep.
>>
File: hammock-sleep-diagonal.png (25KB, 326x316px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-sleep-diagonal.png
25KB, 326x316px
>>797692
>>
>>797692
I sleep as good in mine as my bed at home.

If you have a decent hammock, with top and bottom insulation, hung correctly, and laid in correctly, it's awesome.
>>
>>777437

I agree

>>777451

Then you've effectively brought something way, way shittier than a tent with no protection from the elements other than throwing your tent over yourself like a body bag

>>777459

definite advantage, thats nice

>>777683

>anyone who doesnt agree with me is a troll
>>
>>797938
you can only do this with a ridgeline
>>
>>796605
>Ended up on my ass in a Grand Trunk Ultralight.

Amazon is full of reviews saying this. I bought one after mine was stolen off my porch a couple days before a hiking trip and I consider it disposable.

That said, is there any similar hammock that is cheaper than an ENO that uses quality rip stop fabric
>>
>>778826

This tip would have saved my ass a few years ago.
>>
>>797989
False

>>797997
https://amzn.com/B01EFH7MWW
>>
>>783015
>>783067

It's not going anywhere, but I learned the hard way that how you pitch your tarp is critical. I had too small a tarp, badly positioned, in a very big storm. The tarp stayed secure and didn't turn into a kite... but the hammock itself turned into a bathtub.

Hammocks rock but they're a different set of skills to learn.
>>
>>784356

The tree won't care but you will. Straps are way more convenient. Well worth it IMO.
>>
>>790333

Oh, fuck. Now you made me hungry AND you made me lol. Spicy little fuck
>>
>>797997
ENOs are expensive, heavy, and too short.

If you are set on buying from amazon, and need a hammock quick, Wildhorn Outfitters has a hammock on amazon, with cinch buckle straps for $50-60. That's cheaper than an ENO without straps.

If you really want a great hammock, Dutchware is awesome. Custom made, tons of frabric chocies, can get lots of different options. The Fabric is lighter and so much nicer than what ENO uses.

ENOs are really for college kids to hang out in in campus, and for people who know nothing about hammocks. They aren't BAD, and they have got a lot of people interested in hammocks, but they aren't really great hammocks.
>>
>>792116

See /k/ for a simple piece of gear that will protect you from ISIS and homophobes.

And good luck camping!
>>
>>797692

My bed sucks, so my hammock is actually better.
>>
Anyone in here use an ENO Guardian SL bugnet?
>>
>>798443
It works with ENO hammocks, but is too short for most other hammocks. ENOs are really short, and wide. You could the Guardian bugnet with a hammock less than 10 feet in length probably.
>>
>>784316
What brand is that? Thanks in advance
>>
File: sleepingbag_under_quilt_how_to.jpg (134KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
sleepingbag_under_quilt_how_to.jpg
134KB, 960x720px
>>790333
Buy a cheap rectangular sleeping bag. I've done pic related (used Tarp Clips for temporary hold). Works well and keeps your but warm.

I tried the sleeping pad in the hammock but it just made my back really sweaty.
>>
>>799221
Thanks. Is it as suffocating as the reviewers say?

I'm not very claustrophobic.
>>
>>800614
I don't use one personally, just have seen my buddies.

Any bugnet is a little bit of an enclosure. They are see thru and breathable so I doubt you'd feel claustrophobic at all.
>>
>>789713
Got a guide by chance?
>>
>>784356
>for the health of the tree
straps spread the load out over a wider area and damages the bark less. don't pay a bunch for hammock straps though. go to your local home improvement store and get some tiedowns for a couple bucks and use those
>>
>>784684
2 6' lengths of amsteel blue on each end, plus 2 8' long 1" straps for attaching to trees
>>
>>788484
looks dope for car camping or camping with friends. might be hard to find 3 suitable trees in the proper orientation, without other trees in between. i have enough trouble in my area finding 2 for a regular hammock, but your mileage may vary
>>
>>800864
that seems like an embarrassingly obvious solution when you think about it, thanks for saving me $30
>>
>>800890
glad to help. if you have a hacksaw (or equivalent), take of the hooks from one end and cut the other end of the tiedown at a 45 degree angle. then you can thread the 45 end through the loop the hook used to be in and "noose" it around a tree. quick + easy, and makes for less knots you have to deal with when packing up.
>>
I want to get an eno but I feel like I can find something just as good for cheaper, does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>800910
>>798143
>>
What do you guys do with your shoes when its raining or snowing?
>>
>>800910
i got a grand trunk for $20 on sale awhile ago. the carabiners it came with were steel (heavy) so i switched to aluminum climbing 'biners which bumped up the price a bit. other than that, no complaints
other anons have mentioned Yukon outfitters sales on Woot, so maybe check that. most hammock fabric is pretty similar. you run into differences (quality and price) when factoring in your suspension hardware and sometimes color.
>>
>>800921
my boots have a pull loop on the heel. i ran a small caribiner through both of those and clipped that to the side of my hammock so they were under the tarp
>>
>>800910
dutchware. either buy one or make your own
>>
>>800908
hot shit, I'll test this out for my yosemite trip for my 30th
/out/ is love, /out/ is life
>>
>>800910
>>800910
Liquidation sale going on for 21.99 right now

>https://amzn.com/B015GT8EQG
>>
>>800968
pls don't greentext links
>>
>>800968
yo dude thanks
I'm a larger fella so I need the bigger one but that's a great deal
>>
>>801081
You mean like...
>links
...This?
>>
>>800926
Good idea, thanks. I'm abit worried about condensation, how did that work for you?
>>
Just bought my first hammock, in my local lild-tier chain, for $10. It's made of shit material and shitty nylon ropes, but I simply can't justify spending $100 on a thing I might not even enjoy.

I'll test it next week.

(Weighs 390 gramms, it's made of umbrella-type fabric, wide and long enough and made for 120 kg max. )
>>
>>801474
Enjoy it man, make sure you have some insulation and take a nap in it. Hopefully you'll be a believer and be converted to hammocks.
>>
>>801590
Thanks! Will I need insulation even in this summer heat?
>>
>>779322
This is why you hammock camp
>>
>>801790
If the Temps are below about 70 at night then yes.

Where I live the night Temps usually drop into the upper 50s. Your backside will be very, very cold without an insulation at those Temps.

If you love where it's hot, you might not need any insulation.
>>
>>776975
Hi. I'm new to hammocks and tried the DD Frontline I bought this weekend and loved it. As a good lurker, I know I must nouw buy an underblanket as my ass got cold... But is there also a better way to set it up? I mean, DD ropes sucks dicks.
>>
>>802187
>as a good lurker
>>800908
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
>>
>>802196
Let me rephrase. I'd like to hear about several different ways to set it up. Eventually feedbacks, or pro/cons of each.
The stock setup is a pain to attach, but doesn't wiggle too much once installed for instance.
>>
>>776975
Would a hammock be food for winter camping? Possible snow/sub 30 degree f. Weather
>>
>>802210
Here's a really simple way to tie it and really easy to adjust the length as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG_-N4NiSlo
>>
>>802210

tree straps + marlin spike hitch + whoopie sling
>>
>>802196
Are you >>800944?
>>
>>802211
I've slept in my hammock at -2F below zero. It definitely can be done. Search for Shugemery on youtube, he has a hammock trip in negative -40F below zero.
>>
File: geeps.gif (469KB, 350x261px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.gif
469KB, 350x261px
>>802374
>negative -40F below zero
>negative
>minus
>below
literally a positive integer below zero? mind. blown. anon.
>>
>>779322
Lmao why you trynna bang John Darnell while camping?
>>
>>802357
Negative. I am >>802213
>>
>>800924
do I buy it
>>
>>802318
What's the deal with whoopee sling? Why are those so good? Isn't it just rope ?
>>
>>802608
Ez adjust of length. Strong. Packs small. I will try a webbing only suspension soon
>>
>>802581
Yes and if you can sleep well in it hooray ! If not buy a better one !
>>
>>802614
That's why I'm interested in whoopee sling. I didn't like webbing only. Shoe lace knot was strong enough however
>>
>>802581
I have one, it's okay.

It's too short, and a little too wide.

The climbing rope they use to gather the ends is unnecessarily heavy and long, and the carabiners that comes with it are heavy (they may have updated the biners since I got mine).

They also have too many fabric panels. A single panel is more comfortable. They "ENO" style hammocks with 2 colors are just for show, the extra color fabric on the sides just makes a seam that is awkward.

My other hammocks are more comfortable. But the Yukon is cheap enough. I used my Yukon for a year of random camping trips. It's not bad, just not amazing.
>>
>>799718
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FQCKBJM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some no name brand, but so far its been fine.
>>
>>777522
Where I am, there ARE always trees. What kinda innawoods are you visiting with no trees?
>>
>>800908
I do the same with two ropes.
>sling on one side
>wrap it 2 times around the tree
>end of rope through the sling
>attach hammock
why is a belt better?
>>
>>792529

I would really like to see how this works. Love my hammock tent but I am curious about options for when trees aren't cooperating.
>>
>>804169
Ropes can damage trees as they put more pressure on the bark in a smaller area, they also are more prone to slipping.

Webbing is lighter, and less damaging to trees. You should never use rope to wrap around a tree.

>>804184
Many hammocks can work like this. Another option is when you need to go to ground, use your trekking poles to pitch your tarp, and carry a lightweight sleeping pad. Boom, ground set up in a pinch.
>>
>>792529
I want to know what kind of hammock you have.

Tell me.
>>
>>777056
the only thing I would say limits the use is tempature, if you are in super cold conditions hammocks can be very cold as there is no layer of air that your body can heat up between your sleeping bag and sleeping surface and a huge gap where air can get under you, same goes for cots. Best thing for extreme cold is a thermarest on top of closed cell foam. Adding a sleeping pad or thermarest to a hammock may keep you warmer I honestly wouldnt know, never tried it.
>>
someone gave me a hammock, how much more stuff will i need to actually use it? i'm a poorfag and there's no suspension with it either. rainy climate, want to be able to 3-4 season camp. i don't have a sleeping bag or any ground sleeping gear.
>>
>>804838
DD hammocks makes one.
>>
>>804908
The hammock is often the cheapest part of the set up.

You need a few things.

Tarp to cover you

Hammock to sleep in

Suspension to hang it

Insulation to stay warm, sleeping bag with sleeping oad, or top quilt and underquilt.

If I were you I'd go to dutchwaregear.com and order a suspenion system (get the cheapest or whatever you fancy there's a few options). Then borrow a sleeping bag and sleeping pad. If you can't borrow one, get a Walmart sleeping pad and sleeping bag. They won't be 4 season, it'll be a summer set up. At Walmart you can also get a tarp. They aren't great but they work. Get about a 10x10 or 12x10 and hang it in a diamond shape. It'll get you started for cheap.

None of that is good stuff, but you're poor you said.
>>
>>804838
I made my own, cheaper and higher quality than commercial
>>
>>802617
webbing plus cinch bug from dutchware gear

is my next suspension :)
if using straps + whoppies

webbing with marlin spike hitch direct to the continuous loop can be done on one side of hammy if the trees are real close together
>>
>>790995
lol

try the underquilt, it needs no shill.
uq tq combo is godly
>>
>>805508
How much space does a tq+uq take up? Last time I went hammock camping, I brought a fleece blanket and 4x4 bug net for my face. Wrapped myself like a burrito and kept relatively warm, but couldn't move around.

I'd like to be able to shift around in my hammock, but am not sure the tq+uq are worth the investment, especially if they take up a lot of room in my bag.
>>
What do you guys recommend for a pillow while hammock camping? I've been looking at this therma-rest one on REI and might cop if I can't find any other notable ones.

https://www.rei.com/product/719843/therm-a-rest-compressible-pillow
>>
Also, where can I get a tarp that won't break the bank? I was thinking about getting an ENO, but there is no way in hell I'm fucking paying 120 dollars.
>>
File: its a shrimp pillow.jpg (22KB, 465x241px) Image search: [Google]
its a shrimp pillow.jpg
22KB, 465x241px
>>806056
You can just use a stuff sack and put a buncha clothes in it.

But if you don't want to then I would recommend this.
>>
>>806059
If you're cool with 80 you can buy one from paria outdoors on amazon. comes with stakes and ropes, too, which is nice
>>
>>792116
>tfw also an orlando fag expecting a hammock
>glorious ENO junglenest masterace should be here next week
>I'll be camping in Maine though because fuck this haram ass Florida weather.

Where do you camp btw?

>inb4 wekiva
>>
>>806056
I take a zip lock bag, the kind with the plastic slider.
Then i close most of it then add some air before closing it the rest of the way and sighing it in a shirt.
>>
>>806119
great idea to save space
>>
>>806102
That seems unreasonable for something I can probably accomplish myself with a big square of fabric and some paracord.
>>
>>806317
Get some zing it, paracord isn't great for hammocks.
>>
>>806334
This. I made my hammock and suspension system for less than 35 bucks. Including carabiners.
>>
>>806334
I meant the tarp. I already have the hammock.
>>
>>806106
I am the fag you replied too, I ended up taking my new hammock up to the little big econ, just because it's the closest. It's nice because 90% of the park is in deep shade so it's actually not that hot. It's a really small park though and constantly trashed up by all the rednecks going there to get smashed and leave bud light cans everywhere, I wouldn't recommend if you're not nearby. I've never been to it before but I'm going to ocala national forest next just because it's a decent size and you can camp wherever for free.

Anyway my trip went well, I was pretty spooked but it was my first backpacking trip ever, I usually carcamp, and also the first time I went camping alone. Also I am really excited at how cold the hammock is at night. I didn't bring anything to go under me like a quilt or pad because I thought it's too hot for that, I ended up not being able to sleep the whole night because I was freezing (and spooked). So that's a really good thing because if you bring a thin underpad you will be an okay temperature and not hot and nasty all night, like you would in a tent.
>>
>>806478

Yeah I highly recommend Ocala national forest, ive camped there several times and if you go deep inawoods its large enough you won't see anyone for days. There are black bears though but they usually run away at the sight of a human unless its some alpha bear or something, I usually carry a sonic whistle that is loud af when hiking and I blow it if I see a bear, loud noises scares them away. Make sure to have a compass and a map or a gps because everything looks the same so its easy to get lost.
>>
>>806059
ENO tarps aren't great.

A great tarp will cost $120+. A decent tarprice is the kelty Noah's tarp. I have a Yukon Rainfly that isn't bad either ($17-20 on woot when on sale)

>>806024
A cheap TQ and UQ are bulky. They can be bigger than a sleeping bag. Synthetic ones don't pack as well as down. I have a few synthetic quilts and they're bulky.

However my Jacks R Better TQ and UQ combo tales up half the space of a similar rated sleeping bag. They aren't cheap though. About $550 for the pair
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.