[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hydration Packs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ONECOL.jpg (152KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ONECOL.jpg
152KB, 1200x1200px
Do you guys use one of these? I was shopping for a new daypack and started looking at them. I like the idea of hands-free sipping.
>>
sometimes.

on a long multipitch i like being able to drink mostly hands free while i'm belaying, but i HATE not being able to see how much water i have left/how fast i'm drinking. and they're a nightmare to refill while backpacking, because you have to unpack half your shit to get it back in the pack.

and unless for some reason i need to carry a lot of water, i pretty much prefer just a couple bottles for day hikes (again, can't easily see how much you've drunk)
>>
>>775039
Ah, I didn't consider how much of a pain it would be to refill on the trail. I was thinking I'd still carry my Nalgenes like usual plus this thing to use while trekking.
>>
>>775044
i made that mistake exactly once. never again.

i have a 3L one, and, like i said, i'll use it sometimes for climbing (long alpine routes or if it's really hot), i use it if i know i'm going to drink between 2 and 3L. if 2L or less i just carry 2 bottles, if more than 3L i carry 2 bottles and refill them. or if i know i need 5L+ i'll bring it because it distributes the load well (hang against the back instead of shuffling to the bottom of the pack). otherwise it stays at home.

my wife has a little one (1L) that she uses while running.
>>
>>775035
We use these in the army because you never have your hands off your gun for more than 20 seconds, but unless you're likely to be engaged at any moment god for a metal water bottle that won't break as easily.
>>
I like the design of the Platypus Big Zip more than the large cap design of the Camelbak. Either way a water bladder is great for long treks.

Takes up less space, weighs less than most water bottles, and is easy to drink without breaking stride.

That said, I've never had a use for the backpacks that are designed specifically to hold a water bladder and not much else. I've seen people go for runs with them but that's not for me.
>>
No matter the 500 billion tips I have received I still taste plastic when drinking out of one of those. And I have tried everything. I have Camelbacks and Ospreys
>>
>>775056
interesting. i have both those brands also and never taste plastic.

the camelpak smelled like it at first, but i filled it and emptied it before using and it the smell pretty much went away.

though i'm not denying you experienced that. just pointing out personal experiential difference. of course i know i have an already shitty sense of smell, and 12 years in ems burnt out whatever was there to begin with.
>>
>>775035

Yep. Love it. I find I stay much more hydrated on the trail as i'm sipping small amounts more frequently rather than reaching for and taking big gulps from a bottle when i'm thirsty. I also pee less as my body is using the water I drink rather than it just going straight through me. It's also comfier and more balanced to carry water in this way when used with a compatible pack and the water is held close to your body along the center of your back.

The trade off of course is that you cant tell how much water you have left, but refilling from a stream with a water purification system is no trouble. The other trade off is the space a full hydration pack can take up in your pack. I use an Osprey 3L in my Osprey Kestrel 38 and it really does eat up a lot of pack space when filled the whole way. Generally I fill it halfway when on the move (with no air bubbles) and fill it right up when setting up camp for the night.
>>
>>775050
Is the Big Zip easier to fill from a body of water like a stream than the Camelbak? Turns out my buddy has a Camelbak but he has never taken it out with us because it's a bitch to fill the bag directly from a body of water apparently.
>>
I fucking hate these god damn things so much. They leak and it takes so much energy to suck the damn water out that you'll strain yourself and dehydrate even more. Nalgene water bottles are the only option.
>>
I have a couple of Camelbak 3L. One in my main pack (Osprey 65L) and one in my day pack (some little REI 25L). Usually don't fill the day pack one all the way for weight. Only issues I've had in the last 6 years was a torn o-ring when I screwed the main lid back on incorrectly.

I use a Katadyn hiker pro filter, which comes with an adapter so you can plug into the outlet on the camelbak and fill it without having to remove it from the pack. I'm sure someone out there makes a generic adapter for other filters.

>>775831
I don't know what your doing wrong if 'it takes so much energy to suck the damn water out that you'll strain yourself and dehydrate even more', but you're doing something wrong.
>>
File: hydration-health-kit.jpg (67KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hydration-health-kit.jpg
67KB, 1000x1000px
>>775035
I got this one for less than $15. It works awesome.
>>
>>775827
It is marginally easier with the Big zip, but I always have a water bottle as well. It's less hassle for really those low flow streams.
>>
>>775035
I had one, I didn't like it, I got rid of it and use a 1l pet bottle (was apple juice i think) bottle plus a 2l folding bottle.

Now millions of people like hydration packs and it seems to work for them, but not for me, it was messy, impractical, and sucking lukewarm water out of a over sized straw is just not my thing.
I rather have a 20 seconds break, enjoy the view, drink from my bottle and depending on my needs have a reserve of 2l in my pack. Most of the time I don't carry that much water, but it is nice to have a 2l bottle for when you set up camp, make dinner and tea and have a sip for the night and next days breakfast.
>>
If you're going to go this way get mil-spec Camelbak reservoirs. Basically everything else will burst, including their civie versions.
>>
>>775056
This. Glad to hear Im not the only one. I have tried baking soda, lemon juice, and deoderizing tablets.
I got a 3L Osprey one I wish I could use but prefer my nalgenes.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.