[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping Bag/System Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: softie_elite_5.jpg (41KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
softie_elite_5.jpg
41KB, 900x598px
I'm on the hunt for a new sleeping bag.

For preference I want one under £100 which packs down well and is rated for winter use. The snugpak softie elite 4 seems to tick all of these boxes (£84.95, rated to extreme -15ºC, 26 x 24cm fully compressed pack size, Weight: 1950g) so that's what i'm leaning towards.

I've been using the same bag for the last 8 years so I have no real idea whats out there now, I heard that snugpak bags are really good for the money though. Any other recommendations guys?

Cheers!
>>
I'm also looking at getting a Snugpak. I'm doubting about getting the Osprey 12, Harrier 10 or Elite4.

I'm curious if someone had Experience with their sleeping bags.
>>
>>774825

op here

on further research the softie 9 hawk looks like a much better option. Smaller, lighter 3 season bag which can be made to a 4 season bag by adding a liner. I think i'm sold.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/softie-9-hawk-sleeping-bag

You can find it elsewhere for £100
>>
>>774825
I've got the "Special Forces System" (dumb name I know).

Basically it's a pair of bags meant to be able to zip together, one inside of the other. The idea being you have three options, the light inner, the medium outer, or the two combined for extreme cold.

They do kind of exaggerate their "extreme" ratings. I've used the two combined in a bivi bag in a freezing rainstorm, and I was pretty sure at the time that I was in danger of death. Maybe it would meet their -20C claim bone dry with no wind, but I think you'd be pretty fucking miserable even then.

However, I do like the versatility, and they are absurdly small and light compared to the down-filled Canadian military bags that I have.
>>
File: 20160529_180136.jpg (933KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160529_180136.jpg
933KB, 2560x1536px
Also look at auction sites like ebay or whatever is local to you. I got this for $25. It is a Fairydown bag made in NZ, two layers of 200g filling rated to 0C.
>>
File: 20160529_180155.jpg (921KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160529_180155.jpg
921KB, 2560x1536px
>>779125
Also has a separate zip at the bottom so you can sleep in boots. This allows me to walk around camp /confy/ as fuck while all my mates are looking at me jelly.
>>
>>776311
"extreme" is extreme though, it means you survive, nothing more. It's also for males, and is supposed to be inside a tent with no wind and iirc with insulation from the ground.
Comfort is what you should be looking at, the caveats above apply.
>>
I just picked up a caribee deploy 1300 pretty cheap here in emuland. It's ugly aiscam bit good quality and rated to 0 degres Celsius. If it gets any lower i have two liners to chose from that add 8 or 15 degres extra. They all pack pretty small and light as well.
>>
> liner
> 15°C extra

I wouldn't count on that
>>
>>774949

I have the Softie 3. They are good bags but their ratings are very optimistic, even at their 'comfort' level I would want a decent mat and be wearing a set of thermals.

Mountain Equipment make a very good range of synthetic bags - I have a Starlight II that I am more happy to use year-round in the UK.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.