[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Osprey Atmos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Atmos.jpg (22KB, 306x440px) Image search: [Google]
Atmos.jpg
22KB, 306x440px
I'm looking into getting an Osprey Atmos Backpack. I'm trying to decide between the 50 L and the 65 L. I'm a noob looking to backpack, and don't exactly have ultralight gear. I have a Zephyr 3 that I'll be lugging around.

Also, looking for an affordable sleeping bag to slap in there, thinking maybe Kelty Cosmic Down 20/21 or The North Face Cat's Meow. Which of these, or would you recommend something different for < $150?
>>
Get the 65L. the 50 will limit you to weekend trips.

Cant give you advice on those bags
>>
>>774257
I think the the real difference is the 65 has a front compartment. Look at pics and youll see the zipper. If you want to go light don't get the 65 or you'll find a way to fill it.
>>
>>774257
Cat's Meow is super comfy. I tried on an Atmos, but it was BIG. I don't do really long trips, just a night or two. I ended up going with the Kestrel 38. If you don't do super long trips, the Atmos will be too big. The Kestrel is comfy, and much heavier duty material than the Talon or Atmos line.
>>
Even as a beginner I'd say just go for the 65, it's only like 15 bucks more, and you never know, you might need the space sometime if you decide to start going for longer outings.

Sleeping bag totally depends on what exactly are your needs? I just bought a random bag at Eastern mountain sports that was rated to 20 degrees. cost like 100 bucks. While wearing some underarmor/thermals i've gone through very cold nights with it just fine.
>>
>>774434
>>774257
Seriously guys, go to a shop where you can try all these on. You'll realize how goofy the 65 feels. The 65 is seriously more than you need unless you're taking week long treks.
>>
>>774448
Have you been backpacking with the average noob before? It's hard for beginners to plan food accurately and bring adequate gear.

Not any of the people you responded to but I would always recommend someone new to backpacking to get the extra space and over pack. It's better to suffer with to much than feel hopeless with to little.

Also, does Kelty do men's sleeping bags? I was looking into them a year or two ago and only remember seeing women's bags.
>>
>>774257
I bought an atmos 65 when I was first getting into backpacking. Worst pack I have. The one thing good about it is that it keeps your back dry when you walk. Even the 65 version of this pack is too small to be practical. This is a bag designed for you to store everything internally and you can't strap anything to the outside. It has no straps on the bottom for a sleeping bag and the compression straps on the side are at a wired angle and the orange straps move in such a way that anything you put inside will shimmy its way out onto the trail and the pockets on the back are too long and slender which really limits your options on what you put inside. This pack's size I find to be good for 1 or 2 nights but not much longer. I advise you to get something by kelty because it's cheaper, the materials are more durable, and the design is better. The side straps are straight and you can put stuff in them, they have straps on the bottom for you to equip your sleeping bag leaving plenty of space inside for everything you need. Osprey is a company that prides itself on having 'high tech' equipment but have long since past the point where they are actually innovating and have gone to taking away actually functional design elements that all other backpacks have and replacing them with their own gimmicky futuristic looking designs in an attempt to convince the idiots who buy all their gear at REI that they are the cutting edge of backpack technology and somehow worth 300$.
>>
>>774466 here
forgot to mention that the convoluted 'anti gravity' system doesn't make much difference and squeaks like a motherfucker with every step. You will likely become interested in doing week trips once in a while and you shouldn't have to buy a new pack just for that. I'm very happy with my kelty coyote 80L. The extra 25 liters will be there for you when your still figuring out what kind of camper you are and you bring too much stuff. The extra space will be there for you in the fall and winter when you have to pack the puffy shit and when you get your shit together enough to do week long stuff after you realize the nature worth seeing takes longer then a weekend to get to let alone enjoy. And when you don't need the extra room just tighten the compression straps to make the pack smaller. On an Osprey pack, the straps are just for show and are not long enough to strap anything into or adjust the shape of the pack.
>>
>>774466
I literally can not disagree with you more. What is wrong with storing all your gear internally? I have a 15L bag that I just did 3 days and 2 nights in with 27F nights and I stored all my gear internally. Does that mean I should shit on your bags because I don't like them? I have an Osprey Volt 60 that worked great for me for 5-7 day trips and have two friends with the Atmos 65 that have used it for the same.

I forgot about no bottom straps for hanging larger external pads so that's some quality feedback. But how about you elaborate on the things you carry on your hikes that make it so inadequate. Everyone has different gear and require a different degree of comfort.

Half of what you typed out is just plain stereotypical nonsense.
>>
>>774466
The sleeping mat straps are on the front. That way it can sit properly.
>>
>>774257
I own one in 65L. I think its a great bag.
However:
I barely use the front pockets, they get compressed by internal stuff pretty easily.
The hip belt is annoying to put on.
It squeaks. Holy shit it squeaks.

The rest is excellent.
If I were to buy again I'd go a lighter bag, maybe an Exos 58L.
>>
I think the sound made by the mesh on the atmos is really pleasing, but ymmv
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.