[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The "what-would-you-take" game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 9

File: woodfunknifesmall.jpg (1MB, 1928x1446px) Image search: [Google]
woodfunknifesmall.jpg
1MB, 1928x1446px
i am going to have some "in-the-woods"-fun next week.

5 days with three buddies, surviving in the woods.
(we did that last year and it was an awesome experience.)
this year we will not bring MREs, because we were really sucessfull at trapping and fishing last year.

i already got everything together. so lets play a little game:

i will take two of the knives on the picture with me.
they will be used for:
cleaning game,
making wooden tools:(spearshaft, bowdrill, bow, arrows...)
processing food,
cutting whatever we need to cut.

which two would you take and why ?

from left to right:
opinel no. something
esee izula
crkt m16
real steel takin
d'eskabar
eskabar
real steel bushcraft II
real steel observer
esee 4
gek edc
martiini fishing knife
bkt bk2
>>
The one with the orange handle for food and he one on the far right for cutting wood and such.
>>
>>772462
Bk2 and opinel.

Clean your fish and chop your wood.
>>
>>772702
>Bk2

Can we stop with the prybar meme already? That's a terrible knife.

If i had to pick two, i'd take the d'eskabar and rsk bushcraft - by far the most useful.

Then i'd throw in the opinel too, because it weighs next to nithing and there's no excuse not to take it.
>>
>>772462

>this many tacticool knives

Don't forget your duster and fedora when you go out, let's people know you're not to be fucked with and if they piss you off they'll feel your blade.
>>
>>772462
Just make sure it's a solid one-piece hunting knife made of high carbon steel so you can make fire it. A saw on the back doesn't hurt either.
>>
>>772462
Muuhra

/thread
>>
>>773045
the bk2 isnt a bad tool, its just a bad knife.
>>773052
>many tacticool knives
the only tacticool blade i see is the crkt folder.
>>773054
>A saw on the back
hopefully trolling.
>>
>>
Bk2 and the izula
>>
>>773045
i mean, people that know more than you about knife usage think its amazing, so that should mean something
>>
>>772462
Esee 4 and matinii(or opinel)
>>
>>773540
Kek...

No one in their right mind would call the bk2 amazing. Not if they know anything about knives at all. So no - people who know more than me about knives (and there are plenty of those) think the bk2 is a piece of shit.
>>
>>773863
This, would go with the opinel myself
>>
>>773904
I am so tired of retards that think the Bk2 is bad. I question if you have even held or used one. I really do.
>>
>>773949

I, on the other hand, am mildly amused by retards so desperately wanting to believe the bk2 is not garbage.

It's thick, heavy as sin, has a retarded saber grind, retarded handle - it literally has no place in the woods.
>>
>>773960
It is not even heavy, are you a toddler?
It's thickness is fucking perfect. 10 tools in one shape.
The edge matters just about as much as the edge on a hatchet(moderately but it isn't a fillet knife)
The handle is fucking perfect for its balancing.

I know for a FACT you have only watched youtube videos about this knife from fuckfaces that have 1/10th of the outdoor experience as myself.

If you cannot use a tool then the tool will always be bad. Maybe you are just a little girl?
>>
File: sbt.jpg (366KB, 1544x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sbt.jpg
366KB, 1544x1024px
>>773965

ok, fact #1 - it weighs 16 ounces. I've used knives (if you can call it that) as heavy as 21-23 ounces. And the ones I commonly use are around 5 ounces (give or take). 16 ounces is way to heavy for a knife to be agile enough and not fatigue your hand if used for an extended period of time. "Hurr durr I can lift it" is no excuse.

Fact #2 - no, it's thickness is not perfect. Perfect thickness is 1/8'', not 1/4''. The bk2 just has every dimention blown way past redemption.

fact #3 - the bk2 isn't a hatchet - it has the wrong shape and balance for that.
Fact #4 - the handle is rubbish if you have to turn the knife over in your hand and use any kind of technique. And being handle heavy destroys any advantage of having a heavy chopping knife, because balancing matters in that a knife that wants to chop well should be forward balanced (that's why stick tang kukris are better than full tang).

From your post it seems your outdoor experience is about 6 minutes total spent contemplating going outside.

I use tools that are far better for the job. And before you blow a gasket - I actually have a tracker, and yes - it's every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. And it's still better than the bk2, because it chops and slices better, and is more suitable for use as a shovel/hammer - which is the extent of what I use it for (twice a year, I take my grandma to the cemetery in the nearby town, where her parents are buried, and it's just more convenient for me to take the tracker and #YOLO, than bring a bunch of gardening tools).

Really,dude, big, many-tools-in-one knives are a joke. The situation above (#yolo) is about the only time they are moderately useful.

Want a knife for the woods, bring something like pic related.
>>
>>773978
Just go kill yourself I didnt even finish reading that fucking drivel. Not a single thing you said was true. I an fucking disgusted that some fool would take the time to make up such lies. This isn't the knife I use the most in the woods but to say it is a bad or even a not good knife is fucking ass backwards. It is in the top 10 of knives for survival activity. Top 10. There are hundreds of thousands of knife designs and this is top 10 all ACROSS THE BOARD and your autistic ass has the balls to say it is shitty because you have fucking baby wrists. There is NOTHING wrong with it's dimmensions. NOTHING. In fact it's uniqueness makes it one of the most VERSATILE tools you can EVER take to the woods. It will do what other knives won't and MUCH MORE.

I am seething with anger right now at your stupidity and close mindedness.

AGAIN I WILL SAY THAT TOOLS WILL ONLY EVER BE AS GOOD AS THE PEOPLE USING THEM

LOOK INTO THE MIRROR SUSAN
LOOK INTO THE MIRROR YOU FUCKING BABY BACK BITCH

I have more hours working with knives than you have being in the woods at all. I promise.
>>
File: kek.jpg (282KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
282KB, 1920x1200px
>>773988

hahahahahaha

Christ you are retarded...
>>
>>772462
Real Steel Bushcrafter
>muh scandi

ESEE 4
>not a meme knife unlike 2,3,7,9,11 (BK2 being biggest meme of them all)

Opinel should come along just because they weigh all of nothing and rock for food slicing.
>>
>>773988
>getting this agitated

fwiw I'm with other anon. If you want a chopper, fine, I like 'em too, but it ain't got shit on a proper 4'' slicing, good blade geometry working knife for doing any kind of cutting.
>>
>>774007
>Real Steel Bushcrafter
decent knife, got one myself for $30.
mora like handle, d2 steel.
great budget blade.
>>
>>773978
1/8 thick knifes are only good for a select things, the work I do in the bush (foraging mushrooms and carving heavy wood and finishing it off with my axe the bk2/7 does the job. They are perfectly fine but have many downfalls just like any other knife. Example a 1/8 inch thick blade I wouldn't dare try to split wood with while my bk I can comfortably do that.
>>
File: havalon-piranta-z.jpg (56KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
havalon-piranta-z.jpg
56KB, 880x660px
For field dressing animals, pic related is what I use. Just replace the blade when it gets dull, and a fresh blade is scalpel sharp. I was sold on them when helping a buddy skin and quarter an elk. His wasn't cutting very well when we got to the quartering part, so he just took the old blade off, put a new blade on, and cut all of the meat between two ribs like it was hot butter. I've used mine on multiple elk and an Oryx, and it works great.
>>
>>774137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlmsH0IFT4

1/8'' is fine. You baton through that log with a bk2 anyway.
>>
>>773960
again, people that know much more than you do will attest to it. so take the higher quality anecdote for what it is. man up and stop being contrarian on an anonymous board. nobody knows who you are, so theres no reason to defend your soft ego
>>
>>774158
oh you are basing your opinion on mors? mora doesnt obsolete the bk2, they are different knives. mors carries an axe and a mora, he doesnt neglect the heavy duty option. the bk2 and similar knives replace the axe for many people, and does so effectively
>>
>>774196

except he doesn't carry a mora. His "prybar" is 1/8'' thick and that's enough. And no - i'm not basing my opinion on Mors, but I respect his experience - he's been doing this longer than I've been alive.

Heavy duty knives are a myth. Unless you carry something that can effectively replace a hatchet, a big knife is kind of pointless. And even then you need a smaller knife to do stuff the big knife is too unwieldy for. There's a reason kukri comes with karda, you know.

And the bk2 is just a bad design. It might be good if it was 1/8'' thick, with a better handle - then you'd basically have something like the bone collector, and that's a very effective hunting knife.

As it is, bk2 has every dimension wrong - too wide and too big to do precision carving, not long enough to chop with effectively - the bk7 is a MUCH better design - even though it's lighter, it has more leverage and better balance (the last thing you want is your chopping knife to be handle-heavy).

And given that OP has access to vastly superior options, like the bushcrafter and esee4, suggesting the bk2, because "muh heavy duty survival" is just pants-on-head level retarded.
>>
>>774221
Big knives aren't pointless, they just sacrifice detail work functionality for size and 'durability'

IMO cutting anything with a 1/4'' stock blade is retarded. It becomes so unusable at that thickness.
>>
>>774237

unless you are making feathersticks. And that's probably where the fascination comes from. Technically, it doesn't matter how thick the stock is when making feathers, since your knife is on the outside, ane you're not really cutting into the wood - I've made feathers with a 3/8'' thick blade.

And sacrificing ability to do 99% of what you will need a knife for in exchange for improved (barely) performance in the other 1% is fundamentally flawed.

I really shouldn't complain - I have a tracker, but despite my soft spot for that knife (that I use twice a year, as mentioned above), I have no delusions as to how ridiculous the concept of a "heavy duty, die hard, big survival blade" is.

Modern steel, with proper heat treat can take a lot of abuse - 1/8'' O1 steel, or A2 steel (not to mention 3v, etc.) will take a lot of punishment, and you really don't have to worry about it. If you are retarded enough to abuse your knife beyond reason in a survival situation, you're probably better off removing yourself from the gene pool.
>>
>>774237
just admit you are talking out your ass
>>
>>774221
yea you as well. youd rather sit and defend some vacant idealogy more to be contrary and combative than truly sided on the merits of your belief. it takes literally the most minimum of experience to know how much bullshit you are spewing, but you spend so much time and effort eloquating that bullshit, that your duplicitous and actually pathetic intentions become clear
>>
>>774221
this is your fantasy football
>>
>>774609
That's what clueless people like you believe - that you can theorycraft with no actual experience. And because you have far less experience than you think you have, you don't even realise how much you are missing.

Give me a good, 1/8'' thick scandi grind any day, and leave your "seriously guys, it has more durability" fantasies at home.

It's always funny to see people defending their bad purchases to make themselves feel less bad about not buying a proper knife. You'll come around eventually.
>>
>>774619
1)This man has very clearly NEVER done anything with his hands
2)By the sound of him I highly doubt he has ever had a job outside of grocery night stocker
3)NOBODY on this board should listen to a word he says

Heres the reality about knives:

You can do almost any job with almost any knife EVEN if the knife cost 1 dollar, is rusted to hell and is from china. Without much increased effort at all. You can still get almost any job done with it. Every single day, all over the planet people use tools that are not perfect and they keep the world turning with these tools. This complete baffoon is trolling everybody here with this fantasy that there is some sort of elitism when it comes to knives; if he had ever been to the woods he would KNOW that no two people will EVER use a tool the same way. There is no argument over this. You cannot argue what tools are better for what job. They are better for YOU and nobody else.

The fact he is completely and totally unaware of the usage of tools is proof, really solid proof that he has no outdoor experience, or even work experience.

Gearfags are scum of the earth. The bk2 is a perfectly fine knife and well above average in performance when compared to other knives. It will never be the best, and no knife ever will. This person may ever be severely mentally ill.
>>
ESEE 4 and Opinel should do the job just fine IMO
>>
>>774766

you had me until bk2. Still can't get over your denial i see.

Yes - you can get the job done with grossly inadequate tools - no arguments there.

There is, however, a huge gap between what's adequate, and "indestructible fantasy shit".

If you had any practical experience (which you clearly don't, and so you insist on theorycrafting your side of the argument) you would know this.
>>
>>774925
yea i agree with him, you are so full of shit, and it ekes from everything you say
>>
>>774925
Just stop.
>>
>>774934

anything to back this up? Or are you just going to throw another temper tantrum because I called you on your bullshit?

How about you show me that "above everage performance" of the bk2, compared to some mysterious "other knives"?

The whole design process of the bk2 was to take a decent knife, then upscale every dimension with no regard for how it would affect performance, and market it to dimwits who will eagerly buy into this "multi-purpose, heavy duty" bullshit.

Seriously dude - name ONE relevant thing the bk2 does, that my "other knife" couldn't do better.
>>
>>774939
>bwaaaa, mommy, make him stop making sense!
>>
>>774943
Replying to the wrong anon you autistic retard.

Here is a tip: bad knives are knives that don't sell amd nobody talks about

What does that say of the BK2

Keep that answer to yourself because nobody wants to hear from you. Because you are very dumb.
>>
>>774944
>being this braindead
>>
>>774945

bwuahahahaha - ok, then.

brb, selling all my good knives, and buying gerber, because people talk about it and it sells, so it must be a god-tier knife.

Also - nobody buy anything custom ever - how can you trust a knife that only sold 20 copies over something purchased by MILLIONS?!

4/10 bretty gud bait.
>>
>>774943
thats actually backwards. the bk2 and similar knives can do anything another knife can do, and more. the spine and the cutting bevel are largely irrelevant from one another. if you own a pocket knife with a 23 degree edge, and a bk2 with a 23 degree edge, they operate the same way, regardless of the size of the knife. the only argument you have is that the bk2 and similar knives dont use a steeper spyderco/mora angle, alongside its micro bevel. which is actually a non argument and so obviously petulant an argument that im embarrassed for you trying to continue
>>
>>774950
>and more

no.

That's just it - the "and more" is a myth.

Thickness doesn't matter when you're:
a) cutting thin materials, because it's cut long before thickness becomes relevant
b) shaving material off (like making feathers, planing etc. since you're not actually cutting into wood, and all that knife thickness is on the outside, so unless we're talking about something completely moronic (think 2'' spine), it will work. Granted, a scandi (or chisel) grind will take material off more aggresively.

I own many different knives, and guess what - they DON'T operate the same way. Experience trumps theory - no surprises there.
>>
>>774948
You're fired.
>>
>>774959
and now you are admitting to using the wrong tools for the job in the same breath of advocating variance. no, you dont plane with a mora. carry a chisel knife, like i, and many i know, do. alongside my schf36
>>
>>774971

nice cherrypicking. If you're making furnitura and have a mind to carry a whole set of woodworking tools - go ahead.

Otherwise, when you need a flat surface, a knife will do.
>>
>>774984
like i said, this isnt just goalpost moving, you are now kicking to the other teams goal. if you dont want to use the right tool for the job, and want a 1 tool option, and then neglect the bk2, you are deluded. like i said, even mors kochanski uses both a small knife and an axe. he isnt running around the woods with a mora. big steel is still necessary, bar the most primitive of living
>>
>>774992

and where exactly does the bk2 fit in all this? It doesn't replace an axe, no matter how many mouth breathing retards say so, and it doesn't do the job of a small knife (and certainly not "better").

If you want to rave about "big knives", they don't get much bigger than a 17'' (OAL) kukri, and guess what - kukris come with small knives (karda) for doing all the shit you wouldn't want to do with a kukri in the first place.

No one is arguing that many tools > single tool, but "one tool options" are nothing more than a marketing gimmick (and this is coming from someone who unironically owns a tracker, and uses it twice a year).

When's the last time you had to make snowshoes, or traps? There are people making a living in siberia trapping minks for fur, and you don't see them running around with one tool options, do you?
>>
>>775023
nice try, but you exposed yourself lmfao. the finessing necessary to make a primitive trap out of the bush can be done with a sharp rock. you are a pencil pusher, a theorist
>>
>>775026
>primitive traps can be made with a rock

right. Who needs tools anyway.

So let's sum up:

$1, shitty chinese knives can do the job, and this somehow makes the bk2 "top 10 survival knife"

You don't need ANY tools, ever, but you should carry a chiselknife, axes, and a whole friggin toolbox.

Got any more words of contradictory wisdom to share?
>>
>>775469
Fraud
>>
>>775472

hahahaha. 120% salty. Perhats you should have thought of that before posting all your theoretical bullshit.
>>
>>775475
Im not
>>775026
Sorry.
>>
>>775469
nice, i call you inconsistent, then you throw it right back at me. shouldve gotten that beat out of you in your youth
>>
>>775502

kek.

You and your theories are so friggin cute...
Perhaps you should try going out of your basement every once in a while.

Be sure to take your "top 10 survival rock" with you.

here's a simple fact: a simple knife is all you need.
>>
and it comes to the old "BK2-is-a-brick" argument

nice tools there op, would take the esee 4 or lennartz edc and the opinel
>>
>>772462
i would take the martiini, every outdoorsman worth their shit i ever met irl swore by them.
>>
>>775469
not that anon, but...
>$1, shitty chinese knives can do the job
correct
>this somehow makes the bk2 "top 10 survival knife"
probably not, but it looks like a nice beater if you are into that
>>
>>775695

honestly, why is the opinel even a question? that knife weighs what? 1 ounce or close to? You can always just take it.

>>775697
think i'd still prefer the rsk bushcrafter, but martini isn't a bad choice by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>775699
yeah - when it comes down to the nitty gritty, you can get shit done with a kitchen knife. not very tidy, and not very comfortably, but done.

why would you need a beater knife, though?
batoning through everything in sight as a substitute of masculinity is hardly "bushcraft".
>>
>>775701
i imagine for something like an escape and evade situation a single sturdy knife could be better than a specialized toolkit including small knife, carving knife hatchet saw and whatnot.

it will be shit at every task but can do a lot of things. kinda like multitools.
>>
>>775700
if op uses the blades for cleaning game the rsk bushcrafter would be a bad choice.
you cant take of the handles and they arent fit perfectly to the blade (mine have a little bit of play), so blood and other residue can build up underneath them making the knife quite unhygienic and dangerous for food processing.
>>
>>775704
that's why i'd take the bushcrafter and one of the eskabars, and chuck in that opinel "cause I can". Never used the rsk bushcrafter in particular, but i like this general style of knife.

>>775703
yeah, maybe. I'd still prefer a "normal" knife though. In my experience, people who are most vocal about the advantages of big knives don't know what a good knife can do. And the less they know, the more vocal they are.
>>
>>775708
i am thinking about getting some micarta and making some nice scales for mine, that i can take of.
the blade ist excellent, got the d2 version, it get pretty sharp and holds its edge.
>>
>>775704
dude do you have any idea what's going on with most cutting boards?
years of meat pieces fat and all kinds of disgusting shit build up on a cutting board yet i never heard about anyone catching anything from them.
cutting boards are probably only more hygienic than kitchen sponges.

also take that shit to a knife shop they will fix it with some epoxy.
>>
>>775708
i have a mora companion because that's all the knife i need.
i like big knives they are not worth the money tho. if i was a billionaire i would collect them.

but i can see how they could be useful in weird situations. not normal camping and hiking mind you.
>>
>>775712
>do you have any idea what's going on with most cutting boards
uhhmmm they get cleaned with hot water and detergent ?
(atleast thats how we do it in civilized countries.)
>knife shop
the true woodsman has spoken
>>
File: RTX51T9-1024x692.jpg (178KB, 1024x692px) Image search: [Google]
RTX51T9-1024x692.jpg
178KB, 1024x692px
>>775714
>cleaning you cutting board
>missing out on the fantastic taste years of food residue can impart on the food you are cutting

I bet you don't even do backflips into piles of garbage either.
>>
File: knifeporn.jpg (165KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
knifeporn.jpg
165KB, 800x533px
>>775713

well, for most people, that is indeed all they need. If all you do is camp, and use the knife around the camp for making kindling and/or breakfast, you won't need a heavy blade, or super sturdy construction.

Thing is - people are vain. There's a sentence I read somwhere that men never grow up - they just get more expensive toys. Pic related isn't much more functional than a mora, strictly speaking, but damn...
>>
>>775714
yeah we clean them too it's just the effectiveness of this cleaning is negligible.

good traditional cleaning merely halves the bacteria count on the surface for example.
>>
>>774140
I want to buy one of those because they're such a cool idea... But i dont do ANY hunting or dressing. And as a hobby knife, they're not great(regular box cutter or xacto knife are cheaper and the blades are 1000x easier to find)

Still, as a concept it really is amazing.

For OP: The Esee 4
>>
>>775701
processing wood is a requirement. if you do not have an axe, a larger knife is going to be able to process both large and smaller wood. its going to do anything any other blade bar a scalpel can do. and if you think scalpel-like finesse is necessary, you are probably just whittling
>>
>>775725
so much bullshit that i dont know where to start. i will say however, some people intentionally use cutting boards made from astringent wood because of its anti microbial properties
>>
>>776030
>Esee 4
the esee 4 is a meme knife.
worst shit ever.
almost as bad as the bk2

OP has so many good knives, why would someone choose the memed mallninja ones ?
>>
>>776040
about time to end your own life there bud
>>
>>776040

sure you're not talking about the esee 5 (or 6). esee 4 is 3/16 thick, and coated, which puts it close to the bk2 level of brickiness though.

>>776037
not as much as some people think. In the temperate zone, there's usually enough deadfall of all sizes, that the only "processing" you need to do, is making a single featherstick to start the fire.

I usually bring a kukri when i go camping, because it's more effective than a hatchet, and i don't do enough woodworking to warrant bringing an ax (alternatively: i'm too lazy).
>>
>>776044
>>776138

esee 4 overmemed shit.
would choose a cold steel magnum tanto or g.i tanto every day.
>>
>>776030
They're purpose designed for cutting skin and flesh. IMO, it is a waste of money if you're using them for most other things.

Also, there is one design feature on it that I do not like: The locking mechanism is not on the back of the knife. You have to put your fingers right where the blade is going to fold into to unlock the blade. I'm super paranoid when closing mine because the only blades that I have that are sharper are straight razors.
>>
>>772462
The eickhorn
>>
>>776039
how come there is zero hit in google for your bullshit tho?
>>
>>776826
lmfao. does google tell you what the grooves are for in your wooden cutting board too?
>>
>>776826
astringent wood is also casually waterproof
>>
>>772462
I'd probably take the Esee 4 and the Izula. I'm a pretty big fan of their work and I'm pretty sure you can do most things you need to do between the 2 of them.
>>
Bring two BK2s
Its the best knife so just stock up on them
>>
>>777003
you misspelled worst.
>>
>>777003
One is bad enough
>>
>>774137
Foraging mushrooms with a 1/4" inch knife? Why?
>>
>>773988
>>773988
Fucking hell that is one good laugh. The average bk2 user. Thanks anon.
>>
>>773988

People like this are what have ruined the modern production knife industry.

You could, and people do, literally make CHOPPERS out of 1/8" O1, A2, or 3V and this guy thinks he needs a 1/4" knife too short and badly balanced to chop anything.

People like you are why modern production knives are so terrible as cutting tools, because companies know they can make some 1/4" thick saber group monstrosity and not even have to QC it because it's so thick you literally can't break it no matter how stupid you are, and it's terrible at cutting things anyway so edge retention goes unnoticed.
>>
stop samefagging you asshurt piece of shit. this isnt your fantasy football league. you dont need to talk shit about the enemy team solely because they are the enemy team, not because you know why you are
>>
>>777330
>>777398
Its easy to hate the perfection of the bk2 :^)
>>
>>777508
> :^)
>>
>>777486

Actually, I didn't even see this thread until this morning.

Buying a knife in 1/4" stock that is anything less than a full sized chopper is absurd, and makes you a cancer on the knife industry.

There is literally nothing you should even remotely conceivably be doing with a bk2 sized knife that a 1/8" knife in O1, A2 or 3V wouldn't be able to easily.
>>
>>777632
>knife industry
calls me cancer. what year is it. how much does it say that there is still a knife industry. this isnt the stone age, the knife is superceded by an infinite number of tools. the knife is a toy for most people, yourself included, and dont offend me by claiming otherwise, regardless of whatever uses you can count off in your defense
>>
>>777632
a sharp piece of cat shit will suffice for 99% of the things you use a knife for
>>
File: bk2-micarta.jpg (123KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bk2-micarta.jpg
123KB, 500x375px
>>777508
factory scales are shit tho. with micarta i agree.
>>
>>776840
even plastic cutting boards are full of rotting shit that no amount of washing will remove, fuck your gay ass hipster woods they are not helping with this.
not even wood purposefully soaked in antibiotics helped with the nasty shit.
>>
>>777653
hipster shit? oh i see, you use silicon? wooden cutting boards arent a new thing, if you didnt know. i feel sorry for whoever you cook for with that intuition
>>
>>777642
Woah woah woah. Calm down there sport. Care to explain what the actual fuck you are on about? You sound almost as mad as someone who thinks the bk2 is a good knife, but I can't quite understand you because your English is so bad.
>>
>>777645
Sufficient =/= ideal. A bad knife is still a knife
>>
>>777655
no i mean your special wood hipster shit cutting board.
we had wooden cutting board when i was a child.
but pretty much use plastic for like a decade now.
cheaper unlikely to crack or break easier to disinfect at least it can be done to a better extent.
>>
Bk2 is best knife and paracord is good for climbing
>>
>>777728
i use paracord as a cockring too.
faggy silicone shit breaks all the time.
>>
>>777710
kys desu senpai
>>
>>777650
>bnib bk2

and you base this "expert knowledge" on what exactly?
>>
>>777728
You said it anon
>>
>>777642
>the knife is superceded by an infinite number of tools
>Toy

Oh, people don't need to cut things anymore? What tools have superceded knives as cutting tools?

Please, do tell.
>>
>>777747
i just found the pic in google search
>>
>>777831
there are also an infinite number of cutting tools you fucking 12 year old
>>
>>777926

Please, do list these alternative cutting tools which are obviously much better than knives for every day, kitchen, and /out/ cutting tasks?
>>
@op
THE GLORIOUS EICKHORN

SUPERIOR BOHLER K110 STEEL CUTTING POWER
>>
dont we all love the plain old bk2 discussion ?
>>
>>777650
i would love to get micarta scales, but they are way to expensive in europe
>>
>>773965
>>773978
The bk2 are for kiddies too retarded to use a knife properly. Couple ounces more and you can have a Junglas which is infinitely more useful than a BK2
>>
>>777642
>the knife is superceded by an infinite number of tools
Oh do tell...

>>777632
Batonfags are the reason why we have these absurdly thick knives. Yet, they still manage to break these knives because because they can't be assed to use some commonsense when batoning.
>>
>>780160

Cringe warning. Youtubz "suggested" a video for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfYHP8_6rkA

Only watch if you have a strong stomach. It's been a long time since I saw so much condensed cringe.
>>
>>780263
omfg such an expert.
but some of the blades are worth the money.
>>
>>780167
>because they can't be assed to use some commonsense when batoning
this
>>
So much hate for the bk2. I don't call myself an expert but I have had my bk2 for years now and love the knife. I like the weighty feeling, I like the grip, I really find it to be a great all around multiuse knife and durable as fuck. I wouldn't call it the best knife but it has been my favourite for a long time because I can do just about whatever I need to do with it, and only need one knife on my belt. Unless I need to do something specific, but then I just bring my less durable/less multipurpose knives. Bring the hate but I like the bk2 just fine.
>>
>>783271
Protip: do the exact opposite of what /out/ tells you to do

I promise.
>>
>>783271

What you fail to realise, is that you don't *need* a bk2. Anything you do with it, can be done (and much more easily) with a more reasonably sized knife.

Sure - if you are stubborn, or plain bored, you *can* use all manner of tools to get the job done - bk2, trackers, kitchen knives, $12 moras, or $300 customs.

That you bring up durability as one of the virtues of the bk2 only shows your lack of experience.

I have a 16.5 inch kukri - 3/8'' thick 5160 spring steel. It's even more "indestructible" than your bk2. And it's pretty much irrelevant. A 1/8'' thick, O1 tool steel with a proper heat treat will take everything you can reasonably put it through, and most of what you can quite unreasonably do to it.

The "super indestructible, hammer-it-through-a-car-door knife" is a marketing gimmick. It appeals to some people, and the less they know about actual knife use, the more vocal they are about the advantages of having a super tough, heavy duty blade.
>>
>>772462
Hatchet and a gun.
>>
>>784700
>I have a 16.5 inch kukri
Bigger than a BK2
>you don't *need* a bk2
You don't need a kukri.
>you *can* use all manner of tools to get the job done
BK2 is a nice sturdy knife, a kitchen knife isn't as durable and anything bigger or thicker is pointless. BK2 is only a 5 inch blade. Will do everything you need.
>super indestructible, hammer-it-through-a-car-door knife
I don't think anyone bought it because of this purpose. Sure, a cheaper knife will do what you need it to do, but let him have his fixed carbon steel knife. It's a nice knife.

Personally I have a 5 inch 440c stainless steel knife that does everything a bk2 will do and more for 1/3 the price. I also have a folding 3 inch $20 pocket knife that will do *almost* everything the 5 inch knife will do. Unless you have a valid complaint about the knife, such as quality, I don't see why you have to be upset with people who have one.
>>
>>784769
well, obviously it's bigger than a bk2. And heavier. And it chops a hell of a lot better. And it's far more useful for anything you'd need a big knife for, whereas a bk2 is just a semi-regular size knife with every dimension wrong.

A bk2 is decent quality at least, but that doesn't make it any less of a gimmick knife sold to people who have little enough experience to still believe they can find themselves in a situation where it will somehow be more useful than a normal, 1/8'' thick, 4'' blade.
>>
>>785247
Kukri is bigger. As well as heavier. It's not half as good for chopping as a simple hatchet, and a small 4 inch knife could do everything else it can do that the hatchet wouldn't cover better.
>>
>>785262

not as good as an axe, better than a hatchet (tried and tested). A good kukri, properly balanced chops better than a hatchet, and not, as you say, "not half as good".

Agreed on the 4 inch knife - that's what most people forget - a kukri was never intended to be a single knife - that's why is comes with the karda.

Pound for pound, a kukri is better than a hatchet. The good ones tend to be more exensive though - i'm talking Tora, and HI.
>>
Buy an ontario ranger TFI and thank me later
>>
>>784769
>a kitchen knife isn't as durable
old kitchen knives were.
mother had one when i was a child you could literally baton with that knife.
>>
>>785265
>A good kukri, properly balanced chops better than a hatchet
i call bullshit on this
i bet my fiskers x7 on that it will outchop your kukri by miles probably cheaper and lighter too and it can actually split wood if you need it.
>>
>>786031
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnB5QbAwSH4
most people that do comparsion vids use the hatchet retarded and the kukri quiet well. this guy uses the kukri retarded too that's refreshing.
>>
>>786031

you call wrong.

To be fair, though, I did say "properly balanced, good kukri" this excludes many KLOs (kukri like objects), and you're right about the cheaper part.

Totally incorrect about a fiskars x7 outchopping a 23 ounce, 16.5 inch HI kukri.
Same about splitting wood - the kukri does that admirably.

Like I said, though, it's not your typical kukri-shaped machete, but a properly balanced, 3/8'' thick, stick tang 5160 steel blade.
>>
>>786248
>Totally incorrect about a fiskars x7 outchopping a 23 ounce, 16.5 inch HI kukri.
yeah i believe it when i see it
>>
>>786248
also i don't get this meme about "balanced blades"
for chopping you need the least balanced think (ie an axe) it's not like combat where you need to quickly retrieve your blade or anything.
>>
>>786367

"properly balanced" kukri means a forward-weighted blade. I have a full tang (tapered tang) mark 3 repro with close to neutral balance and it's pretty shit to swing around - the HI is light years ahead of that.

It's one of those things you have to feel in your hand to really appreciate, cause it sounds incredible otherwise.
>>
>>786455
so you need a kukri with a bad balance after all.
>>
>>786855
>not understanding proper balance

this is how I know you have no experience. Come back when you know more than zero.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.