[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody go /out/ in the desert? Is it even possible? I live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 110415.png (2MB, 1120x700px) Image search: [Google]
110415.png
2MB, 1120x700px
Does anybody go /out/ in the desert? Is it even possible? I live in Las Vegas and it's nothing but dirt and tumbleweeds for 100 miles in any direction.
>>
>>771638
I live in Vegas and you could not be more wrong. Frenchman, Red Rock, Mt Charleston all rim the city. Valley of Fire, Zion, Death Valley, Joshua Tree all within day trip distance.
>>
>>771638
Start by doing the Gold Strike Hot Springs trail down to the Colorado River. It will force you to reevaluate your position.
>>
>>771638
If you don't already rock climb, you should consider trying it. Red Rocks is one of the world's top climbing destinations, and it's right in your backyard. You're also right by the Colorado river, and all the aquatic adventures that it holds.
>>
>>771672
I second this. I went on a canoe camping trip down Black Canyon for spring break this year and it was phenomenal.
>>
>>771638
Everyone pretty much just confirmed you shouldn't be on this board if you are asking that question.
>>
>>771638
>it's nothing but dirt and tumbleweeds for 100 miles in any direction.
/out/ likes trails and destinations.
My wanderings are a bit less purposeful. I like to drive into the desert and start walking just to see what I can see.
Close to the roads you find the modern artifacts of men. Beer cans and plastic bags. Used tampons and half-used condoms. Trash people dump on the side of the road to avoid dump fees. As you walk away you'll see insects and arachnids, most of which will hurt you badly. I check ants' nests, they're known to dig up fossil sharks teeth and small chips of flint that Indians chipped off to make their tools. You'll find bones, lots of bones. Close to the road you find roadkill, but further out you find animals that died of thirst just like you could so easily. I scan the ground for bits of agate or old bullet shells. Sometimes I see ancient arrowheads that prove the stubbornness of man living where nothing really wants to be. Lizards and if you're lucky snakes by rocks and in holes. Sometimes an old cabin foundation and trash from some sick bastard that spent the depression years drinking cheap hooch in a place where no food grows. I like to look at rocks, sometimes I find bits of petrified bone from dinosaurs tens of millions of years gone. Further out yet you find the odd bit of litter, an insane pop can out in the middle of nowhere telling me I'm not the only moron to have wandered this pointless land. Perhaps pictures and carvings on rocks, most left by people so long ago there was actually water nearby when they last passed through 8 thousand years ago or more. I learn the names of the rocks and the plants and the animals. I feel less alone when I see that even here, in the middle of nothing, others have gone before me. I find a broken balloon with the name of a Las Angeles car dealership on it and marvel at the journey it took to get here. I feel the thirst and the heat as my blood thickens and I remember how close we all are to death.
>>
File: 20160429_151818.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160429_151818.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Hey OP, I'm from vegas too. I have the same dilemma you have. I don't have a car, so making trips is hard for me, but I started out at Lava Butte/ Rainbow gardens. It's a fun little hike in some secluded mountains, just east of vegas.

There's quite a bit around here, you just gotta get out there and explore
>>
Yes, every day. And I see something amazing every time.
>>
>>771638
I moved to Southern Utah a few years ago. I grew up in forests and fucking hate living in the desert. I wanna see some god damn trees, or rivers. Don't like being pounder by the sun all day.

I took the senpai over to Pine Valley once and it was marvelous, but more than an hour drive.

I love the fact that I can literally walk away from my house into "wilderness", I just wish there were some damned trees.
>>
>>771638
I live in the midwest, andI specifically drive to the desert to do /out/ stuff.

Best hike I ever did in my life was through the desert in Northern New Mexico. Shit was absolutely mind blowing to me.
>>
>>771638
>I live in Las Vegas and it's nothing but dirt
*radioactive dirt*
>>
>>771638
similar problem here in AZ its not that we dont have great hiking spots, its just impossible to hike when it is 115 degrees out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.