[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 62

File: 1457818170565.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1457818170565.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Didn't see one open so I figured a thread for small questions of any particular topic might be a good idea
>>
Best lightweight and compact way to boil water? Titanium cup, surplus canteen, enamel mug, kleen kanteen/nalgene?

I know there was some controversy on /out/ about jetboil, whats the deal with that?
>>
Best lightweight camp setup for staying in place for 30 days?
>>
>>771001

Need some advice re sleeping mats.

Are 3/4 sized mats still comfortable, or will my legs get cold?

Setup will be: Hoochie (tarp) over the top, bivy bag (http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/bivvy-bag-p13634.aspx?cl=Khaki) to add some warmth to my 15 celcius sleeping bag and a sleeping mat.

There is one for sale for $60 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wanderer-Self-Inflating-Full-Length-Hiking-Mat-Boating-Camping-Fishing-/252388183838?hash=item3ac3820f1e:g:iGwAAOSw8vZXNVaj)

But if it doesn't make that much difference I could potentially get away a bit cheaper (and lighter) with this one: http://www.platatac.com/platatac-gonk-mat.html

The goal is that I want a system that is light and modular, so I can use it in summer but that it will also take me down to 0 degrees or thereabouts.

Cheers.
>>
>>771003

Jetboil is expensive and proprietary, so you can only use their cookware with it afaik. I would say that it might be worth it if you work outdoors or are going on a massive thru-hike.

For short trips, the most lightweight and compact I have found is an esbit stove and a stainless steel 500ml cup. I use it to boil water as well as eat and drink out of the one container. If it's just you, you don't need all that fancy shit.
>>
>>771001

Family of five moved next to national forest and want to into camping

Children are 6 and under

Rec comfy and good quality tents pls?
>>
>>771006
Are you the one that started that thread yesterday?
>>
>>771056
There's tons of options buy anything that is double layered, self standing and has some kind of aluminum alloy poles will do. If you can, go for dome shaped tents as little kids can stand up inside them (to get dressed and all that), and adults can sit comfortably.
>>
are swags actually viable for anything other than car camping? They are seem great for rolling out quickly and being pretty comfy but to me are way too big and heavy for what they are
>>
>>771157

I don't think so. I've never seen someone hiking with a swag. I think initially they were born out of jackeroos being out on their horses in the back country for multiple days at a time, so they needed something durable and comfortable, and they were riding so they sacrificed weight.

For hiking I think bivy bags are the way to go.

Anyone have an answer to >>771054
?
>>
File: 20160520_063441.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160520_063441.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
What do you guys write in your journals while /out/?
>>
Just got a new car, what kind of /out/ related things do you folks keep in your cars at all times? Any recommendations?
>>
>>771326

I'm an Art Director by profession so most of the time when I'm writing while /out/ I sketch out the landscape around me and introduce some other design elements to the composition. I will also write a small, usually paragraph long description of where I am, why I am there, who I'm with, and any personal stuff I have going on at the time. Makes for a really cool look back in time when I go through my old sketchbooks.
>>
>>771326
I take notes about the weather, things that call my attention like trees, plants or animals (or their tracks) I see with coordinates, things that can be improved in my setup, etc. I also draw stuff like the landscape, animals, insects or whatever. I just take this notes while hiking in simple paper sheets that go into my pocket, and take photos of the animals or birds if I can, and properly write and draw in my journal when I'm at camp. If I can't take a pic of the animals, I try to draw from memory. Got any tips to share?
>>
>>771054
If it's cold, you'll have to compensate for that quarter missing, but can get away with it putting your backpack or some tshirt or something. Now, how much volume are you saving by getting a 3/4? I suggest you go to the store and check them by yourself before buying.
>>
Is /out/ still considered a MGTOW board?
Have not heard much about it lately
>>
>>771415
>MGTOW
WHat does that mean?
>>
>>771419
men going their own way

it's some kind of misogynistic/non-gynistic nu-male mentality that treats masculinity like a novelty and treats nature and the world as a plaything. it's completely bereft of reality, propriety, situational awareness, or honest mental presence.
>>
>>771426
Do they use that acronysm to sell useless shit to lumbersexuals and fjallraven users?
>>
>>771434
Pls explain what's wrong with Fjallraven? I've hiked in their trousers for years!
>>
>>771443
Nothing wrong. If you are into that sort of thing, well, it's your life and your choices.
>>
>>771342
headlamp, jumper cables, water, gloves, a jacket, and a few clif bars
i usually travel with my camelbak too, so that's an extra 3L of water, a variable power monocular, wire saw, some zip ties, duct tape, bug spray, a fresnel lens, a lighter, chemlight, sunscreen, and whatever else i have on me that day
>>771415
it never was
they confused hating women with being outdoorsy. Any time someone posted about "fort no girls allowed" they were quickly shown what a silly idea it was. you're welcome on the board, but post about /out/ stuff
>>
>>771426
Kek no. There's a couple robots that post their feelings from time to time tho. Most of the time you'll read common sense advice and personal experiences with equipement or situations (that can sound retarded but, who am I to judge).
>>
>>771625
>advice and personal experiences with equipment or situations
this is /out/
>girls get out reeeeee
this is not
>>
File: IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg (79KB, 433x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg
79KB, 433x768px
>>771326
Mine's a snow study fieldbook, so i'm noting things like temp/wind direction, aspect/elevation, snow grain, depth, layers in the snowpack... also goes into group management and travel planning (Level 1 stuff), so there's some info in there about number of riders, day's travel plan, decision points, and the like.

My "journaling" is done through the lens of a camera. >Pic related.
>>
>>771415
/out/ was never a MGTOW board. We had a few refugees from /r9k/ who for some reason thought their faggotry would be welcome here and who for some reason thought Dick Proenneke was their patron saint, but no one put up with their nonsense and they mostly keep quiet now. .
>>
File: IMG_20141025_165458845_HDR-L.jpg (95KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141025_165458845_HDR-L.jpg
95KB, 800x451px
>>771342
Truck's toolbox has
>jumper cables
>heavy leather work gloves
>lighter-weight mechanix gloves
>bunch of zip ties, baling wire, roll of duct tape
>about 10ft of wire, about 12awg
>fuses
>spare bulbs - brakes/turns, clearance/plates. Fogs and headlights are big enough I don't worry about them, when one goes out I replace them both.
>winch remote
>cotter pins
>flares
>cheap multimeter
>big-ass wrench for hitch ball, and the small 2"-ball drop hitch (2-5/16 with sway bar hitch is usually on the truck)
>Couple 8ft cambuckle tie-downs
>half a dozen extra lug nuts
>Code reader (one of the best truck tools i've ever bought)
>Tire pressure gauge
>Lug wrench/jack under the front seat

I've got a AAA membership, so for short commutes around town I don't worry too much about bringing everything.

Longer trips I usually add
>Socket set
>Bucket with extra fluids, dead-blow, breaker bar, battery terminal cleaner tool, loctite
>Air tank, charged up, with hose and tire chuck
>Clothing/gear for lengthOfTrip+1day
>Cooler with drinks/snacks, since i'm probably going to be in the truck for 3+ hours

Biggest thing you can do is preventative maintenance so your vehicle doesn't leave you stranded. Take care of shit before it becomes a problem.
>>
>>771766
What camera is that? How many lenses do you think you usually carry out, are they cumbersome? Do you worry about water damage or anything like that?
>>
File: 1430898067480.jpg (142KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1430898067480.jpg
142KB, 500x375px
>>771054
I think the weight only increases a few percent with full length, maybe 200g in absolute numbers. I would look for other ways to safe weight that don't have the potential to let you not sleep. Maybe a lighter backpack. Or a lighter cooking kit.

>>771055
Esbit is very easy indeed, but has soot and a smell. I prefer ethanol (methanol has soot) for a single cup setup.

>>771326
Penis, penis, penis, vagoo.

>>771342
Tiny ethanol cook kit, water, canned fish. A sleeping bag, a sleeping pad, two cheap tarps and a folding chair.

>>771426
I'm aroused by that. Where does one subscribe?

>>771443
Nothing, their stuff works. Don't listen to the plebs, rich man.
>>
>>771983

Thanks for the advice. Have you ever used a 3/4 length pad? I'm wondering whether it will actually make my legs cold or if it won't really matter.

Went to look at some yesterday and the self inflating full-size ones take up a good chunk of space even when compressed.
>>
>>771342
Jumper cables
Zip ties
Good quality torch / headlamp with spare batteries
Blanket
Energy bars
Water
$100 cash in a small container (like a plastic film container thing - good for emergencies)
Paracetamol (Tylenol)
First aid kit
Multitool
>>
>>772001
I tried a half length pad once, thrrmarest prolite s, doesn't agree with me, i'm now on a thermarest prolite plus regular. Feelsgoodman.png
>>
>>772001
I used a cheapo 3/4 self inflating mat camping in Mt Kosciusko NT (got to 0 C) a month back.
Had a -5 sleeping bag + cheap liner as well.
It did the job.

I've since moved to a thermarest neoair. Packs smaller and is way more comfy.
>>
File: DSC_2764_-L.jpg (81KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2764_-L.jpg
81KB, 750x500px
>>771981
Body's a D90... old by today's standards, but it hasn't missed a beat. Protip: Spend money on good glass instead of the newest-baddest body. Lens in that photo is a 70-200 2.8 VRII.
I would like to get a D500 once the price on those start coming down.

What I carry depends on what I'm shooting. That particular event was a snowmobile race... so while I had track access, I wasn't going to be close enough to use my wider glass. Did switch to my ultrawide up top for some pano shots, but during the event it was all telephoto. >Pic related.

When I'm riding I take my shorter glass, usually 17-55 and 11-16. 17-55's good for action, where the ultrawide's good for landscapes and some action. If there's a spot where I can safely position myself where a rider can squeeze by right next to me, I'll throw the ultrawide on and get a good "in-your-face" photo. Motorcycle races where I'm on the track I'll shoot quite a bit with ultrawide.

I bring most of my equipment, but it lives in the truck. I'll pack my small bag with equipment/glass I need based on the conditions.

"Cumbersome" factors in to "How good of a photo do I want to take today". Weather and riders/riding style factors into that too. If it's shitty, flat-light, rainy, whatever... i'll probably leave my DSLR in the truck and just bring my P&S.

Professional equipment is damn durable. I'm not going to leave that stuff out in the rain, but if it's a light shower or snow, no, I don't worry about it at all. My older shittier glass (18-200 in particular) would suck in dust/moisture, but all the good stuff is sealed and doesn't have that problem.
I also store it with a couple 40gram silica gel cartridges, so any moisture that does get in will get pulled out after I clean the camera/glass and it sits in the case for a while. Never had any issues with fungus or moisture.
>>
sup /out/ Eurofag here, used to walking and camping but not bike touring

Cycling from Amsterdam to Norway via Denmark this summer, camping for basically all of the way

2 questions:

Navigation- Is it possible to use google maps on my smartphone and occasionally turn on the gps to save on battery life? It's too long a distance to buy maps but getting lost obviously isn't ideal

Electricity- I was thinking of a solar charger to top up my phone, the other option is stopping in cafes and stuff and charging up there and also taking a solar charger, as well as an external battery pack. Any experience? Has anyone used dynamos?

Water- I'm planning on having around 6L worth of water on me, and filling up in Germany and Denmark etc shouldn't be hard as I can ask people in towns, houses etc. Would it be worth bringing a water filter of sorts, especially for Sweden and Norway where the population density is lower?

Thanks sc/out/s
>>
>>772539
for navigation you could get the "here maps - offline navigation" app. with that you can download the maps for use offline to save data/battery. they have maps for each country.
a solar charger + battery pack would probably be the best. stopping to charge in cafes would also be a good option.
it isn't the greatest distances between houses/towns in Scandinavia (unless you plan to go deep into the woods in sweden/norway), so you shouldn't really need a water filter

just my 2 cents
>yes, i am from Norway
>>
>>772556

I'll check out that maps app, sounds good- combined with solar and a battery pack that should be enough hopefully

Sounds good for water- we won't be going offroad so hopefully should be able to find plenty of people with water to beg for them to fill up our bottles. Thanks
>>
File: dh-3n70.jpg (42KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
dh-3n70.jpg
42KB, 600x431px
>>772539
> Is it possible to use google maps on my smartphone and occasionally turn on the gps to save on battery life
I don't see why not, but it's probably a better idea to use offline maps with an app like OSMAnd in case you can't get a good signal.

> Has anyone used dynamos?
Yes. Modern hub dynamos are great, you can hardly feel the drag. Your best bet would probably be a hub dynamo front wheel +USB charger adapter. I don't have the USB charger for mine but there are lots of options.
http://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-hub-dynamo-power-supplies-for-usb-devices/

I wouldn't want to use a cheapo bottle dynamo for touring if I was using it all day to charge batteries. They're OK if you get delayed and have to ride the last little bit in the dark.

>>772294
Hi Mule
>>
File: muley.jpg (105KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
muley.jpg
105KB, 600x503px
>>772572
>Mule
>>
>>772572

Hub dynamo is an option but wouldn't that mean remaking the wheel which is rather an effort? A lot of them are also over £150 which is a bit more than I'd like to spend really, solar and large battery pack would probably be cheaper...
>>
>>772575
kek
>>
doing backwoods camping for the first time next weekend. Do you guys have any pointers? I live I'm Georgia. Do you need a permit to make campfires or anything
>>
>>771766
>(Level 1 stuff)

O_O holy shit.
no way. I don't know if most people on this board know what that means (the skiers probably do), but that is some crazy shit.

Are you the filmer F.C. by any chance?
>>
>>771054
I wouldn't worry too much about the lost heat, if it is a problem gather some boughs and lay them down underneath.
>>
>>771766
>camera sitting on the skilift
I can see it's tethered but still got me going
>>771929
what is the code reader?
>>
>>772539
>>772572

Google maps won't work unless you have a constant data connection. It downloads the map tiles as images, so if you're offline all you see is a dot and no map.

You need an app like maps.me where it will download and store the maps offline. Google maps has an offline feature but you can only store basically one screen's worth of map at a time, whereas with maps.me you can download an openmap for entire countries / regions and they will still work without data connection.
>>
>>772898
maps.me a shit
osmand is meh
oruxmaps a best
>>
File: DSC_5417_-L.jpg (151KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5417_-L.jpg
151KB, 800x533px
>>772829
>Are you the filmer F.C. by any chance?
No idea what that means, so no... I don't do much film anyways, almost all my media is stills. I've tried video and fail miserably every time.

Level 1 motorized-specific curriculum was just finalized this january.
With snowbikes growing in popularity... I may end up on one of those next season. Do a few snowbike-specific classes, start getting that crew serious about avalanche safety.

Dude was killed feb. on a snowbike... one of the guys who bought the kit to use his summer toy year-round, went into the backcountry and made a bunch of mistakes that cost him his life. Mistakes that could have been prevented with a little education.
>>
>>772905
Use your trip for fucks sakes mule, I asked you to because we want reliable info, and it seems the board is in agreement.
>>
File: 2012.09.25-20.42.59.jpg (223KB, 1164x600px) Image search: [Google]
2012.09.25-20.42.59.jpg
223KB, 1164x600px
>>772856
Yea; always check and double-check that everything's attached and secure before I got on the lift.
Going down the hill was even sketchier - falls off real steep up top. As a media pass holder I could go up and down as much as I wanted, on the main lift and the other run next to it that got me to the first catwalk. Quite convenient.

>>772856
>what is the code reader?
OBDII reader. I have a bluetooth one that pairs to my phone, using Torque app on there I can read a bunch of parameters that don't have gauges on the dash.
It also lets me read active and pending faults, and clear them if necessary. This is what lights up your "Check Engine" light.
So if the truck starts stuttering, runs like shit, and the CEL comes on ... I can plug this in and pull the code. "P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire", for example. Now I know where to look... ah, well, the spark plug cap was loose. Snap that back on there, clear the code, and away we go.

Had a problem with the crank position sensor shortly after I bought my current rig. At first I thought it was the fuel I put in wasn't high enough octane, but it'd still misfire on random cylinders with 91E0. Eventually it puked a P0335 code for the crank pos'n sensor... crawled under the truck and a wire on the connector was real loose.
New pigtail from the local auto parts store in town, couple crimp connectors, and 15 minutes under the truck got me going again with no problems... replaced the sensor preventatively with the next oil change and haven't had a problem since.

That $100 reader's saved me a LOT of mechanic time.
>>
File: DSC00546_-L.jpg (152KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00546_-L.jpg
152KB, 800x534px
>>772907
Fine, but what's gonna happen now is i'm going to get suckered into shitposting in some thread and forget to turn it off... then i'm going to be "that asshole"...

>>772911
>code reader
I should also add... Get one that supports all the vehicle flavors.
Some of the cheap ($20-ish) ones only support one or two vehicle protocols, they're usually marketed brand-/year-specific.

My neighbors/coworkers all know i'm a motorhead; for every code I've pulled on my own vehicles I've pulled one or two for someone else. Having a reader that not only speaks Dodge, but also Ford, GM, Pontiac, Honda, Kia, etc has been pretty handy.
>SAE J1850 PWM
>SAE J1850 VPW
>ISO9141-2
>ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)
>ISO 15765-4/SAE J2480 (CANBus, which all vehicles newer than 2008 sold in the US use)
are the 5 standards, having a reader that speaks all of those is worth the additional cost of the reader.

Shortly after I bought my '12 snowmobile, I went through the wiring diagrams and noticed they had switched to CANBus for the vehicle interface, from their old-style proprietary system. Bought a connector to mate up with the diagnostic port on my sled, and wired those pins to the appropriate terminals on my adapter.
Torque couldn't figure out what it was connected to, but when I paired the snowmobile to my computer I was definitely getting data back... it was just a matter of figuring out how to parse it into something useable.
Started poking around, made a few threads on sled and technical forums looking for information on how to "hack" the ECU...
...a few weeks later I got a cease-and-desist from Poo's legal team... kind of brought that project to a halt.

I'd love to have an off-the-shelf adapter that can pair to a phone, then use an app on there to display and log engine parameters (Coolant temp, RPM, injector duty cycle, timing advance, etc) along with sensors on the phone (GPS, elevation, acceleremoters).
For tuning, that'd be a real beneficial tool to have.
>>
>>772900

Oxusmaps is unnecessarily complicated, has a bad ui and a shit manual
>>
>>772607
I like building wheels, but you can get them pre-built with a Shimano hub for less than US$200. Not sure what's available in Europe but they're more popular there so I'd think there would be more choices.
>>
>>771057
Nope.
>>
I'm starting to get back into hiking, but the only pair of shoes I own are Converse All Stars. What should I be looking for in good hiking shoes/boots?
>>
>>771001
How do I deal with being alone in the woods at night without a weapon?
I've been trying to do that because
A)Massachuttes
And
B)no money for guns/machetes/hammers.
Should I just make a spear/warclub and call it even?
>>
Any tips for getting back into a sit on top kayak from the water? I'm a strong kayaker, but I'm a fatty and can't see to figure it out.
>>
>>773174

Why are you so afraid of being attacked? Shit I've barely ever seen anyone let alone felt threatened
>>
>>773176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpQe2_uPQN8&feature=youtu.be&t=23
>>
Is ViewRanger premium worth the money?
>>
>>773206
MA is an illegal safe haven. They are running rampant and crime is up like 500%
A lot have learned you can apply for welfare on day one as a resident and are living in camps in the woods.
Also heroin.
>>
File: Esbit-stoves[1].jpg (545KB, 2631x2062px) Image search: [Google]
Esbit-stoves[1].jpg
545KB, 2631x2062px
How the fuck do I use these? Do I just pour the alcohol into the center hole and then light the little surrounding holes?
>>
>>771003
Depending on the environment, you can actually boil water in a paper bowl.

So I guess paper bowl + Bic Lighter

For practical reasons I personally prefer my surplus messkit, which holds my penny stove/fuel.

Its not the lightest but its reliable.
>>
>>771056
Any cheap tent from Walmart will do

I'd suggest one with a built in tarp floor.
>>
>>773714

Try it and find out. I sure as shit wouldn't be doing it on carpet though kek
>>
>>773742
I just grabbed an image off Google. If anything I'd try it on some nice, cushy, dry grass just to be extra safe.
>>
>>773109
What kinda hiking you trying to do, senpai?

get outside and spend a weekend in a campground, or hike a few miles down the trails in a national forest and set up something there?
Pull a month long excursion without seeing people?
>>
>>771896
its actually a mod deleting the threads
>>
>>773803
Normie takeover? Sure thing...
>>
>>773867
Post a MGTOW commune thread and see what happens.
>>
File: 1423935608034.jpg (55KB, 576x494px) Image search: [Google]
1423935608034.jpg
55KB, 576x494px
>>772539
Germanbro here, you want Osmand for maps. The maps are Openstreetmap and in yirop very detailed. And they are free! You can even make your own, with only the route you plan to take, there are sites for that. It also has offline routing, which means you never need anything but GPS. Which, by itself, doesn't eat much power.

You can use Google offline but you can't route and its not reliable, sometimes you need to be online regardless.

For energy: Get a AA to USB emergency battery, Varta sells two kinds, i had both, they work flawlessly. 8 AA batterys can be bought for 2 euros or less at any supermarket.

Yes, bring a filter, search ebay for a sawyer mini that gets sent from the US, you will only pay 16 euros with shipping. 6l seems a lot. Not sure how often you plan to hit stores but asking people will get you water all the time, nobody will send you away. However, often people invite you for food and chatter, this can cost time.
>>
>>772795
I heard there are still separatists in georgia, is that true?

>>772900
Osmand or die, faglord.

>>772916
Fucking namefags ruffle my feathers.

>>773109
Depends on your climate. Unless jungle, rain or snow, Merrel moab vent is a good allround shoe, if you are on trail. For offtrail look at Meindl, Hanwag and Danner. I had them all but am stuck with Merrel moab vent now, the perfect hiking shoe for me.

>>773174
Unless you have bears, you have nothing to fear. If bears, get spray. A spear might help your fear, but its not that effective against ticks, which are the greatest danger realisticly. Against ticks only permethrin works, against mozzies, a net.

>>773714
Pour in ethanol aka drinking alcohol (add 20% water if you dislike soot, meth burns sooty and is not for trangia cookers), light it up in the center. After about 30 seconds the tiny holes will start to fire up. Good choice btw, clean, efficient, cheap and light. Don't use anything else than ethanol tho.
>>
>>771003
>make campfire
>put rocks in fire
>put rocks in light, metal container full of water
>>
>>771983
>I think the weight only increases a few percent with full length
about 33% heavier
>>
>>774095
Much appreciated, m8

>efficient, cheap and light.

Yeah, I'm excited because i can fit the stove and stand inside of my pan, so it takes up no extra room and barely weighs anything. I'm excited to try it
>>
>>773767
>>774095
Thanks for the responses. I'm in western US rocky mountains, so mainly trail hiking and also some weekend camping as well. I'll take a look at those brands you suggested
>>
Might seem like an odd question but i'd say /out/ is the most appropriate board to ask since i'm not looking for any military supplies.

What's a usefull, light weight item that I can give as a gift to someone who has access to everything a modern army (Swedish army in this case) can give him.
>>
I'm planning on going camping within the next month or so with some friends. How much water should we bring per person if we'll be out for 4 days, 3 nights?
>>
>>774266
A family picture with notes/letters written by everyone on it. Bonus points if you give them some kind of locket or other small container to store it in.
>>
What's more dangerous, a lone black bear or a mother deer with young one in tow?
>>
Is there any hammock that's better and/or cheaper than ENO? Are they worth the premium or have they just become a brand-name?

I'm looking for something really wide, like their double-nest and camo-xl's, just for lounging and such, not camping.
>>
>>774413
Bear Butt works for me.
>>
>>774267

At least one gallon per day per person. Specifics of your trip will change this -

- Car camping or hiking
- Climate
- Nearby water source

Car camping - easy. Just bring some water carriers (Aqua-Tainer for example) and bring more than you would need.
Hiking/Back Country - water bladders, nalgenes, and get a good map and look for water sources. Always better to carry a filter in that case.
Climate - hotter and drier, more water. Cold and snow, less water.
Nearby water source - again, bring some containers (nalgenes) and a filter
>>
>>774370

Situational but usually bear. The deer will not usually screw with humans. However, if you have a dog with you, the danger increases from the deer with a fawn.

The bear could tear through your damn camp just looking for the toothpaste you kept in your tent and kick your ass just because you startled it. The vast majority I've encountered just hauled ass when they saw me (or I scared them off in the middle of the night). But they are much braver than the deer.
>>
>>774413

There are knockoffs. I have one that is decent. Not as light as the eno.
>>
>>774517
>Climate - hotter and drier, more water. Cold and snow, less water.
But, you'll have to compensate on fuel if snow is going to be your water source. You'll have to do the math depending on it.
>>
>>771983
>look for other ways to safe weight that don't have the potential to let you not sleep

Yeah that rang true so I just bought myself a full length mat. Cheers
>>
>>774413
Google Ticket to the moon hammocks

>>774585
And i'm thinking to get me the large version of the prolite plus, fuck grams, i want comfy.
>>
>>774603

I'm still concerned with not having too much weight, but when you balance sleep vs an extra 400 grams, it's not worth skimping I think.

I've saved weight by doing stuff like just carrying a single steel cup to cook in, instead of a full mess kit.
>>
Anyone here ever hiked the Appalachian Trail?

I want to do it. I don't mind losing my upper body gains, since I'll gain better calves in return. I'll get them back eventually anyway.

Just wondering what your experiences were doing it. Once I scrounge up enough cash, I'm gonna get a tourist visa, quit my job, fly there next year and do the whole thing.
>>
So I'm looking for a uni bag, my shitty walmart one has lasted a few years but it's more rips than bag, so it needs to be replaced soon. I've never really invested in a uni bag before, and so I'm wondering if any of you know where I might start looking for one, and what I should look for.
>>
How long do you have to boil water to make it safe for drinking? I heard at normal altitude you need to bring it to a rolling boil and keep it that way for one minute. Just want to double check. How long to sterilize also? Thanks
>>
>>775110
Who the fuck cares about gains? It's the experience of a fucking lifetime. Why would you even think about shit like that?
>>
>>775539
I posted my question in /fit/ first. Then figured this would be a better place.
>>
File: SKU162527-3.jpg (302KB, 600x1485px) Image search: [Google]
SKU162527-3.jpg
302KB, 600x1485px
I bought this Chinese army water filter. Is it a piece of crap or can I use it with out being worried.
>>
>>775544

I would not trust my bowels to a chinese made water filter, especially when Sawers and Lifestraws (reputable brands) are so cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if you read the fine print and find out that all it does is filter particulate or some shit like that. Plus, they treat their soldiers like cannon fodder kek why would their filters be any good?
>>
>>774606
Sounds like you learned to set priorities. Well done m8.

>>775196
A minute contains a 60 seconds safety margin. If you need to safe fuel you can stop when you have a rolling boil. At altitude the risk for waterbased pathogens basically is nil, doubly so if your source is not a stream but snow, so boiling is optional.

>>775544
Crap. Get a Sawyer mini for 20 bucks and consider the matter solved.
>>
>>775585

Try talking down to others harder, o god of /out/
>>
For basic short hikes I like to carry a nalgene bottle in a maxpedition belt holster. I don't normally bring a pack with me and just stuff some basic stuff in my pockets.

Problem is, esp with the bottle my belt has to be very tight to hold it all up. Would a higher quality belt help? Right now i'm using a shitty walmart leather belt.
>>
Best place to camp in NC? Doing a 3 day, wouldn't like to hike more then 15 miles unless it's anywhere but the gorge.

Thinking about doing Babel Tower and Hawksbill in the gorge (leaving tomorrow) but I don't know if I'll be able to get a permit or not. If I can't, then either Roan Highlands or Black Laurel/Sam's Knob.

I'm in Charlotte and anywhere within a 3.5 hour drive is fine with me. Views are the most important factor followed closely by access to water.
>>
>>771001

haha fuck the balfour track. those west coast trails are a nightmare

source: launceston here
>>
>>776538
I dont think a belt will ever be comfy for that kind of load. Why not get a very lightweight backpack or a waistpack?
>>
Good trails in Minnesota? Good place to find agates? My moms getting old so I appreciate it
>>
>>777292

>good place to find agates

between your legs, desu
>>
What are some realitively inexpensive satellite phones that are pay-as-you-go or you buy minutes
Is there anything good under $100?

Also what are some good backpacks for a beginner hiker?
>>
>>778561
>Also what are some good backpacks for a beginner hiker?
Literally anything will do as long as it can hold all your items. Even your school jansport.
get inspo here >>777033
>>
What size of bag is acceptable for a 7 day 7 night trip?
Only every done 2 nights max and not overly confident on my sizing up
>>
Where are some good nearby places to /out/ around the DC area?

Gonna be here a while and looking for places worth hiking and maybe do some camping if i can
>>
>>778947
Your pack size will depend on the volume of the items you are carrying with you. So to your actual setup, add the volume of water/fuel/food you'll be carrying. Form follows function.
>>
>>774103
Putting rocks in a fire is a potential crapshoot. Some rocks will just heat unevenly and shatter.

Why not just put the metal container of water directly on the coals? It won't melt. Worst that'll happen to it is it'll get dirty.
>>
File: foldable pocket cooker.jpg (85KB, 1263x1125px) Image search: [Google]
foldable pocket cooker.jpg
85KB, 1263x1125px
found this little device for just over $10
thinking about getting it
Anyone here have experience with it? Only negatives i can see is something about the paint coming off, but I think that's negligible (or should I get it scraped away?).
>>
>>780066

There's a review of it on youtube. Apparently you have to nurse it. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.
>>
>>780298
>nurse it
I'm unsure what you mean. Nurse the fire? that's kind of the point of the contraption, to use a steady stream of fuel that you don't have to pack
>>
>>780413
>Nurse the fire?
No, nurse you because you are too fucking stupid to find reviews and formulate your own opinions.
>>
>>780419
>anyone have experience with it
I can watch reviews. in fact I have. All of them said it's good. From what I can see I think it's great.
I want to know if anyone in here has personally used it, or maybe knows something better for the comparative price
>>
>>780413

You could build a better one out of a soup can in less than 5 minutes, and if you want to use it for cooking then it'd be way more efficient to use an alcohol burner or a solid fuel stove.

>but free fuel
Yeah metho or esbit tablets cost fuck all anyway.

>what if I run out of fuel?
Then make a small fire in the normal way

>But uncontained fires not allowed
Then build a small pit to contain it.

Honestly I'm sure you could do stuff with these but really it's a $20 solution to a $2 problem.
>>
>>780422

Are you really looking for opinions, or for people to ratify your decision to get one?
>>
>>780430
opinions form someone who has used it for a while. lots of "quality control" complaints and "test" videos that show it works.
I've asked these kinds of things before and often times someone will say something about it or say it's bad and I'm better off doing something else like >>780429

but it seems I have my answer anyway. thanks I guess
>>
>>780441

Yeah it works, you can build a fire in it. You can build a fire in an old shoe if you want, so what? Is it the best method for your objective, or do you just want a cool new gadget?
>>
Weirdly specific question but I wanted to paint some milsurp gear, 1000d nylon. Anyone ever do any similar project? What's the best kind of paint for that type of thing?
>>
>>776538

if you just have the maxpedition water bottle holder, it as D rings for a shoulder strap. just get one and throw it over your shoulder if you don't want a light bag
>>
>>772795
Oh shit mate, it has been a while since you posted, but perhaps you're still around.
I'll be flying in Tbilisi this weekend and hiking your northern mountains for most of the month.

In what part of the country do you live?

Cheers.
>>
>>775545
>Lifestraw
>Reputable
>>
File: image.gif (29KB, 486x287px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
29KB, 486x287px
I want to visit Gregory bald this weekend or next weekend. It's around 12 miles round trip. I'm in ok shape. What can I do in the next week or two to make it easier? I notice it's easier to hike when I work my way up to it.

Second, all I have is steel toe boots from work and sneakers. What can I get under $100 that's not so heavy?
>>
>>781816
Is there a trail? Just go with the sneakers.
Do you have any hills in your area? just do some interval training running up and slowly jogging down. If you have a week you have time to do 2 sessions (don't over do it unless you run regularly).
You can hike up a hill if you have one in the region.

But really, if you're in ok shape then hiking up and down that hill shouldn't be too much trouble, unless it's off trail.
>>
I fucked up /out/ I bought into the ALICE pack for my main /out/ pack and im regretting it. After 6 months the thing is falling apart and need a new pack. Im looking for something large and comfy that I can tie off stuff too (sleeping bag, axe, blanket etc etc)
>>
>>782051
Sleeping bag should be inside.
Outside it's too east for it to tear from branches or sharp rocks. Or to get soaked in sudden rain.
>>
>>772898
You can save google maps as an offline map that is valid for about 1 month.
>>
Trying to find places to camp and wondering if private land that is open to the public is a viable option for camping.

I've found places that are all good for hunting and "recreation" but they never specify if camping is alright. I'm in Wisconsin if that helps any.
>>
File: 20160604_193336.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160604_193336.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I've tried in a couple other places with no luck, does any anon know where I could find extra leather straps that match pic related? I can't seem to find even just a place that sells leather to make the straps
>>
Is it actually bad to use surplus military equipment for camping/hiking? I want to start hiking and my friend insists that using old surplus rucksacks or webbing is a terrible idea for hiking, but I've only been once or twice.
>>
>>785727
Use what you want, really. I use milsurp stuff, mostly just my ruck, because I'm used to it and it was insanely cheap for what it is, and what it is, is a reliable, bomb proof piece of gear.

As far as the webbing, you mean like a load carrier? That's kind of autistic, but you can clip on extra gear like your flashlight, canteen, or another couple of pouches.

You can also find tarps and ponchos for fairly cheap, and they'll be pretty good.
>>
>>785732
That's what I was thinking, it'd be cheap and probably pretty reliable stuff that isn't too hard to find.

Webbing I wasn't sure on, but I figured a lot of it carried tools, extra water and stuff like that so it might help out. Like I said, I'm horribly inexperienced so I don't know either way, so thanks.
>>
>>771001
>>777054
Wow - you guys made me look that shit up.
Did a trip to Tas two years ago - enjoyed , but ran out of time to take my RENTED AWD to the west-coast.
Ahem , seems I might need to drive mine down there, with friends, before I venture south of the Arthur River.
>>
File: 91WASpqlo9L._SL1500_.jpg (489KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
91WASpqlo9L._SL1500_.jpg
489KB, 1500x1125px
>>785736
If you do get a webbing rig, make sure it's a FLC (it's better than a LBV which you will probably find) and get it in woodland, not the acu pattern, I feel like woodland would set off the least amount of autism alarms, most people would look at it and think it's a cool piece of gear for the dedicated hiker/backpacker.

Maybe multicam could work, but woodland is your best bet, for the "hunter" look.
>>
What kind of wool blanket would you look for to make a bedroll?
>>
What kind of pants do you guys wear when hiking? I tried sweats last time and they felt good, but I ended up a little too cold with them. I never know what to wear pantswise.
>>
What kind of pants do you guys wear when hiking? I tried sweats last time and they felt good, but I ended up a little too cold with them. I never know what to wear pantswise.
>>
>>785727
>>785736

Not at all. Some people swear by it, and others dismiss it as being for tryhards.

Pros: Rugged, field tested, indestructible, cheap
Cons: Heavier than civillian gear, most often comes used, not always the best design, watch out for shitty chinese knockoffs
>>
>>785760

How much shit are you carrying that you need a webbing vest?

>>786020
Also, you have to be content with camo patterns.
>>
>>773174
Either bring a bigger knife than the one you're currently carrying or bring a small hatchet to double as protection. I would have been raped in a secluded beach by a male nudist if I hadn't pulled the ole 'i'll-split-yer-face-in-two-eroo' on him
>>
>>786021
Well I don't really wear a webbing vest, other anon just asked about one.

I guess they'd be useful to hang a canteen on, or maybe clip on a light. They're cool for having infinite modularity, but there's probably nobody going hiking who needs one.

It might be neat to see if you could go /out/ and fit 3 days worth of stuff on a flc though
>>
File: 20160605_150016.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160605_150016.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
H-how? There's like 2 feet of steel over hanging the front of the mower.
>>
File: spyderco.jpg (19KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
spyderco.jpg
19KB, 450x300px
someone bought this knife for me

its a spyderco ukpk

what can it be used for? is it thick enough for bushcraft or will that ruin the edge? Is it just made for slicing or field dressing?

I'm a brit so I have no one around to ask coz we're all pussies when it comes to knives
>>
>>786297
its for cutty, maybe a bit of stabby if you really need to.
>>
>>786297

Don't buy that shit for out in the field, that style of blade is shit for bushcraft
>>
Anyone every hike to trolltunga in norway, was it worth it and was was the actual route up to it like

Also plan to travel a bit in a while from place to place and would need a backpack and a tent, any recommendations for a tent and backpack (northern europe in summer if it makes a difference )
>>
South Louisiana here, I spend a lot of time outdoors and on the river here. My brother just recently bought land out in da bayou. Anyhow, I have the age old questions. Mosquitos , how does out deal with these buggers?. I like Avon skin so soft shit because it's more natural, but it's just so geh, and hard to come by what's a good natural mosquito repellent / product?

Thanks yall
>>
>>786915
>Find some pest off essential oil in the soap isle of your local middle-aged lady store
>Should be a mix of lemon eucalyptus, citronella, + some other stuff not as important
>Suspend in mineral oil in a jar or little spray bottle
>Also buy insect repellent with DEET at the store as a backup for you to use when you realize the "natural chemical free way" doesn't do shit

t. Floridian who tried natural bug repellent and realized its useless and not worth the bugs swarming you constantly or the chance of getting the zika virus
>>
>>785737

i will find a video of someone driving a subaru forrestor through that river.

https://youtu.be/1vd7MZYUewc

here you go senpai
>>
As a NEET, how do I get started into hiking or bushcraft?

Is there programs that offer hiking trips or something?
>>
>>775110
Pretty fun desu
>>
>>771001
is that western australia mate?
>>
>>787586
Oh I'm sure, if people want something then there is a guy making a buck off them to guide them through it
>>
>>787586
I wrote a big text post that was going well over the text limit and you probably would read it anyway so ill summarise in a few points how I started hiking - protip, helps if you have a car, but even if you dont then renting or borrowing a friends car or going with a friend who drives is still a cheap and fun way to go hiking

- Start with small day hikes - look at recommended times and try start only doing round trips of 5-7 hours.
- After you've done a few and feel you can handle a longer hike - get a cheap trangia set, a 2kg tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat and a pack to store it all in. Hiking with big packs is tiring, so for your first time, best to keep it a smaller hike.
- carry and map and a compass just incase
- fires are good and make things more enjoyable, but I dont really ever have them myself. try to use old fire scars
- carry a small plastic trowel and bury your shit 20cm deep and 100m from water.
- carry your trash out
- wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. I just wear new balance 574s, light but supporting and I buy them on sale for pennies for my day to day wear anything. you wont need a $300 pair of Keens. Most important thing feet wise is to ease into hiking with smaller day hikes without a pack to strengthen your ankles.
- other clothing: I get most of my gear from thrift stores - old running shorts, long loose pants if weather is quite cold, any cotton t shirt, long sleeve shirt to stop UV, a cheap fleece and cheap rain jacket

Hiking is easy, just start slow and dont bite off more than you can chew. Its always better to leave wishing you'd chosen something bigger and more difficult (which you can do next time) than struggle too much and not enjoy yourself and worst of all get lost or something.

if you're in SE Aus I can give you some hiking suggestions.
>>
>>786064
you dont need one. srsly.

Vests & chest rigs are part of your 2nd line of equipment, means you mostly just have ammo, grenades in them. The stuff you need for normal /out/ stuff are usually in your pants/jacket pockets or in your backpack. No need to wear one when you're a civilian...okay maybe if you want to look like a milsim/airsoft tryhard faggot.
>>
File: 201506031074436281.jpg (99KB, 608x481px) Image search: [Google]
201506031074436281.jpg
99KB, 608x481px
Does anyone have any experience camping in the Boundary waters with a firearm? (Pistol) I've been reading a lot of conflicting statements on how MN law is treated out there.

permit to carry is not required of a person: (Minnesota Statute 624.714 Subd. 9)
To carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area.

Many people claim that this protects you in BW while many others claim you need a license.

I don't necessarily plan to hunt, but my camping buddies and I would like to have a firearm in the group.
>>
File: P1040279_zps1xextoxh.jpg (320KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1040279_zps1xextoxh.jpg
320KB, 1024x768px
How many of you wear your life vest on canoes/yaks, even if its not required?
Sometimes, always, never?
What kind?
>>
>>787944
I'm law enforcement, but not for MN so I don't know how do it. Though, from how I'm understanding this, if you aren't planning to shoot the weapon, either target or hunting, than have a licence with you.
>>
I'm trying to find a cheap and versatile outer shell that is waterproof or at least water resistant. (is one preferred or needed over the other?)

Just trying to find the jacket part first. I'm in NE united states. Winters are very cold, and summers are pretty hot, rainy, and humid.

I would like something that is cool and breathable enough to wear if it rains in the summer, but would also be appropriate for winter if I layered a bunch of stuff under it, or if it came with a removable lining.

Is there a certain type of fabric to shoot for or avoid? I see a lot of them described as cotton, but I thought cotton was a bad material for /out/

Pic related is the style I'm looking for. I guess this is a parka? I like the cinching waist and lots of pockets.

Any good websites / brands to check out? Is milsurp better? Much thanks.

tl;dr need jacket plz halp
>>
>>788119
Depends. If I am doing Whitewater in my kayak I always wear my PFD and helmet.
If I am fishing a lazy river or lake I do not wear one.
>>
>>771342
towing rope
3 rubber ropes with hooks
spare tire & changing tools
a big blanket / neck pillow
3 packs of handkerchiefs
flashlight
heavy leather gloves

it's hard to get in trouble in my area
>>
What's the best knot to attach a "permanent" lanyard to a knife that doesn't have a lanyard hole.
>>
>>788688
it sounds like youre trying to get a bit too much out of one piece of equipment. being breathable and suitable for summer and winter is doable but it won't keep the water out that well unless you put in some pretty serious cash and get a jacket made out of neoshell or maybe gore-tex pro.

cotton is cheap, very breathable when dry, can be quite sturdy and doesnt afraid of sparks. depending on how the cotton is made (how the fibers are aligned and shit) and if it's treated water-repellent with wax or spray or something similar it can be manageable, but it won't hold serious rain for more than a few minutes. at least not while being breathable.

but most other materials are like that, too. the problem is that cotton absorbs a lot of water and takes a lot of time to dry and loses breathability when it gets wet. you can (and should) buy a rain poncho or a rain suit (the german and british surplus membrane rain suits are quite decent) that you can quickly put on top of the cotton suit to deal with this but you'll lose most of the breathability so if you do anything involving high activity levels you'll just sweat so much that you could have just let the rain drench you.

a lot of surplus is either poly-cotton or nyco which will be a lot better than 100% cotton since synthetic materials absorb very little moisture, nylon absorbing a tiny bit less than polyester. this means they will be more comfortable when wet and they will dry a lot faster. when dry, they can be a bit more uncomfortable than cotton against naked skin but that is very dependent on how the fabric is made. and that wont kill you anyway. nyco (and poly-cotton to some extent) are also generally mroe durable than cotton.

if i were you, id probably look into softshells made of 100% synthetic materials similar to the ECWCS level 5 outer garment. shit like that will absorb almost no moisture and will be even lighter. the downsides are that sparks can melt holes in them and they won't look as cool
>>
>>788749
>>788688
you can check out the helikon tex level 5 which costs like 100$ for the whole suit. it has a decent amount of large pockets but the suit kinda looks like a large potato bag. there are "tactical" soft shells that look decent IMO but, well, they look decent in a tacticool way and they often cost way more. but on the other hand, they will last a while.

i also like the look of large pockets that droop outside and there are plenty of smocks and parkas made out of nyco or polyco, for sure. i cant recommend you any specific jacket but just googling around should give you some options. they will likely cost a chunk more than the ebay "surplus" stuff in your pic but the money wont go to waste.

but all this depends a lot on what youre planning to do. for short daytrips and lower activity levels id consider that parka and possibly a rain poncho or something a very decent option considering it wont cost jack shit and you won't have to suffer for days if you do get wet anyway. gorka 5 by Splav might be a good choice if you like the looks and ordering shit from russia isn't a problem (it isnt). should cost under 150$ for the whole suit and the quality is pretty good. i ordered one myself and i've heard a lot of praise but it hasn't arrived yet. it's 100% cotton except for the inner lining so it's not that nice in wet conditions but the looks and functional details are great IMO.
>>
File: faserpelz.jpg (15KB, 300x235px) Image search: [Google]
faserpelz.jpg
15KB, 300x235px
>>788688
my favourite /out/ clothing so far is a slightly oversized gore-tex jacket and depending on weather just a combination of t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece fur(?) jacket underneath.
you can use it for a huge temp range and you can adjust it by just getting rid of a layer. it's a bit expensive, but I use it on a daily basis, so it's reasonable. and the gore tex stuff looks decent.
>>
So, I'd like to start going on big walks every once in a while, preferably trough nature, but there are no big obvious destinations to start with and I don't know how well I could handle it, so I was thinking of starting in a smaller scale and walking 80 km (~50 miles) trough a semi-urban setting just to see how well I do.

I have walked 45km in a regular day before, by chance, it wasn't planned, or anything and it wasn't a big toll on me.

I have no camping experience and if it's plausible I'd prefer to do the whole thing in a day so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to spend the night or learning about camping practices.

I was planning on doing this in the second week of July, leaving at 6am which would hopefully mean I'd arrive to my destination at about midnight (4.44km/hr or ~2.76 miles/hr)

I am planning on taking three 1.5l water bottles,I'd probably take more but I'm worried about the weight, some sandwiches / meat pies/ some raw carrots, apples, and maybe some bars filled carbs just in case.

Is this too optimistic for a first time?
Should I go for a shorter distance?
>>
What volume compression sack should I get for an Alps Crater Lake regular length sleeping bag? And what volume would be good if I wanted to cram a Thermarest Base Camp sleeping pad in with it?
>>
>>788119

When canoeing for work, yes. When canoeing for pleasure, no
>>
File: freaky-childs-balaclava-maek.jpg (176KB, 401x273px) Image search: [Google]
freaky-childs-balaclava-maek.jpg
176KB, 401x273px
>>788750
>>788761
>>788749

Bumping thread for quality advice. Seriously, thanks for taking the time, anons. Pic semi related
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (205KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
205KB, 1600x1600px
>>788761
you're 100% correct sir!

I have a jacket/shell (unfortunately, just waterproof), and i bought it M size, it's good for one layer of Fleece, or a thin wool layer underneath the fleece, but I would be better if i had bought it one size bigger.

Other thing is I don't know if a goretex would help in this situation, but the sweat build up on my back, when i take the jacket off it's easier to feel it.

And when i'm with a thing plly/cotton layer as an outshell, it seems is helps a bit.

I only wish i Coudl buy this (pic) here in Brazil
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 700x394px
>>788788
You're sort of vague.
>>
>>787851
Tassie
>>
I'm trying to use National Forest sites to figure out good trails to backpack for the first time
How do you know which ones are good?
How do you know where they are?
Do you have to get an official map?
>>
>>789416

go to state forests, especially in tasmania - way less regulations and you can light fires and shoot animals. much better than national parks
>>
>>789202
>I only wish i Coudl buy this (pic) here in Brazil
cant you just get it shipped to brazil?
>>
>>789435
National Forest, not National Park
>>
File: bear.jpg (73KB, 500x705px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
73KB, 500x705px
>>771326
MLP fan fiction
>>
>>789768
I legitimately want a hardcore survival simulator where you play as a bear
>>
>>789794
Yeah that game sounds phenomenal
>>
>>789801
>forage for nuts and berries
>kill game once in a while, when the opportunity presents itself
>have to prepare for winter
>can wake up during hibernation if you're too hungry
>after the first year, human hunters become a threat
>can kill humans if you're really good
>>
Anyone with experience in central asia?
Gonna rent a 4wd and drive for 21 days in tajikstan and kyrgystan, including the pamir highway, if anyone drove there directions wise how easy is it? my father insists on me hiring a guide to accompany me all the time but this will double the cost, is it manageable alone? for clarification i don't speak russian
>>
any recommendations for shoes i can hike around in the snow with?
>>
File: 1438028531385.jpg (35KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1438028531385.jpg
35KB, 500x667px
>>789794
>>789801
>not knowing about Enviro-Bear 2000
>>
>>789869
>meme games
>>
>>771001

>>789854
>>
I'm doing to do some casual camping / hiking with my roomate this season.

This said, I own no gear whatsoever. What is a good list to go with for needs? I don't like the idea of a tent, and think tarp would be fun ( I wasn't in scouts for long, but I think with some practice, I could easily get the hand of it?) He can be a dick sometimes, and always talks about how I would be retarded if I went out without a tent, -2 sleeping bag and so on, but We're in summer now, when the nights barely get below a 50.

Any help is loved, thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20160609_200446995.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_200446995.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>789972
Start slow and work up.
I would recommend a real tent and sleepig gear. The next day really sucks when you don't get a decent night's sleep.

>on another fucking plane again
>at least I've got a drink coupon
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 599x400px
>>789808
>>
>>790027
Okay, real tent and sleeping shit, I can get along. Any lightweight recommendations?
>>
>>789972
Tents are nice, but theres no reason why you cant go with just a tarp. Theyre so cheap, compact, and you can just find a tall stick while out as a support pool, and carve tent pegs out of smaller ones to fit in the tarp grommets. Just make sure you practice this at home before going out or you'll probably look silly with a first attempt.

A small amount of cordage can help you out with other tarp tent setups. A sleeping mat will make you more comfy, but not necessary. Pick up a cheap hammock in addition to this and you'll have a really cheap and versatile sleeping system - hammock, ridge line and tarp hanging over, or use tarp as tent.

If you layer clothing well for the evening you probably can just bring a cozy blanket and avoid having to buy a sleeping bag. Absolute worst case scenario, at that temperature and barring rain, you can just curl up in the blanket and stoke the fire through the night. Its actually a lot more comfy than it sounds.

Get a super cheap poncho in case it rains.
A really cheap knife, a small kitchen knife laying around if you want
Simple first aid kit, bandaids, gauze, sterile wipes, ibuprofen, stomach medicine, etc.
toilet paper, hand sanitizer
Some kind of flashlight or something
Things that will make firestarting easy for you, lighter, matches, cotton balls and vaseline
food, optional lightweight stuff to cook in, and soap to clean it. A garbage bag to hang the stuff away from camp at night
A metal water bottle or container that you can purify water by boiling in, unless you just want to carry all the water in with you.
liquor if you drink

Thats pretty much what I take with me for weekend trips. If youre just testing the waters, this is a good way to keep your budget pretty low, depending on how careful you are and how much stuff you already own. Good luck
>>
>>789863
Snow boots
>>
Would buying military surplus items be a better value than all that fancy gear for hiking and camping?
>>
File: IMG_20160609_202153854.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_202153854.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>790096
It's cheap for a reason.
On a budget, it'll work for a while. How long do you plan to keep it? How often are you using it?
Replacement costs for cheap shit add up to the cost of good shit for some items quickly.

Nice to have quality gear too. Works better, lasts longer, lighter...
>>
>>789972
>He can be a dick sometimes

Go with someone else. When you're /out/ alone together, any hint of dickishness will be multiplied by 1000. Same goes for travel.
>>
>>790027
>drink coupon

American airlines seriously charge you for drinks? What a fucking ripoff
>>
>>790096

The three desirable qualities of camping gear: cheap, rugged, lightweight. You can only choose two.

Rugged + cheap = military surplus
Rugged + lightweight = Ultralight gear
Lightweight + cheap = shit that will break on first use
>>
>>790256
He's a college student, Studying Chem.

I mean, He's very worldly, He knows a lot of stuff. But when I say something in a clearly joking, sarcastic manner ( even if I think it's true ) He just says "No......?" in a long breath with a blank face on. That shit drives me mad but otherwise he's fine. If it's bad, I'll take it as a sign. It's only 1 night and day.

Thanks for thw warning
>>
>>790174
oooooo nice ƒôto as usual Muley
>>
File: IMG_20160609_211647529.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_211647529.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
>>790258
Southwest, and only for alcoholic drinks.
>>
File: IMG_20160609_202828463_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_202828463_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>790302
Wicked thunderstorms on both ends of that flight.
I got a fucking prius for a rental... kek
>>
>>790320
>>790319
Who are you and why is /out/ your personal blog
>>
File: geeps_mly.jpg (28KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_mly.jpg
28KB, 261x192px
>>790330
That's Muley anon
>>
File: photo-1447877085163-3cce903855cd.jpg (276KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
photo-1447877085163-3cce903855cd.jpg
276KB, 1080x720px
Where do you store your equipment? I'm going to move soon and have to find a proper way to store sleeping bags, backpacks and that sort of things.
>>
If i want to apply insect repellent and sunblock which one should i apply first and how long between them?
>>
Nice places to launch from with a canoe on the Grand River? River in Ontario..
>>
>>771001
Does anyone on /out/ rock climb?
>>
File: IMG_20160610_161613761.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_161613761.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>790353
6ft 5-shelf wire rack is what I use, along with my floordrobe...
Let the sleeping bag air out for a while before storage. I run mine thru the dryer to floof it up before rolling it up and storing it on the shelf.
Pack gets gone through and left open at least overnight to dry out. "Off-season" pack lives on the shelf along with that other gear; "active" pack is typically on the floor for a few days between rides.
Sleeping pad stays inflated behind the door. Roll it up when I pack, so its not stored smooshed flat.
Tent, chairs, cots go on shelving over my garage door.
I feel like stuff that gets stored in plastic totes starts to get a funk to it that never washes out.
>beer fucking thirty
>>
File: pepeinpepe.jpg (28KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepeinpepe.jpg
28KB, 499x499px
How do I become /out/? I've been reading novels about plainsmen in the old west frontier who would survive weeks in the desert hunting bears and I realize that I'm just a pussy. I've always fantasized about becoming a hardcore outdoorsy type who climbs mountains and hunts with a bow and has sasquatch stories and does stuff you see in GoPro videos. I always tell people I like hiking but the truth is I do it like 4 times a year max. I wanna be cool
>>
>>790578
I'm sure that taking it slowly is the way to go. You don't become a master /out/doorsman just like that. If you want to feel cool make your own bow and arrows. Just don't fucking kill anyone (including urself) or I'll beat you

I have a 3 step rule:

watch videos
git gud
git /out/

t. never properly been out
>>
Anyone got any /out/ related apps?
>>
>>790298

Sounds like an arrogant cunt
>>
I want to take up wood carving but I have no idea what type of equipment I need for this hobby. I want to do it alone on my solo camping trips so I'm talking about the basic equipment to make something like pic related.

I hope I can get help from anyone with any kind of experience with this, and I've replied to some questions here as well. Thanks.
>>
>>790578
never say no when someone asks to go camping or hiking. write down everything you forgot or think could use an upgrade. bring that next time. repeat.
>>
>>790578
Do you a little more at a time. You already do hiking that's a start. First, go car camping. It's fun as hell and you can bring so much stuff, and cook awesome food over the campfire and learn what you need to bring camping in a relaxed setting. Then you can start doing 1-2 day backpacking trips which are also a lot of fun but you have to prepare a lot more because if you forget something crucial you really could have to cut your trip short if you don't take enough food or forget your tent.
>>
>>790578
don't get teased by a bunch of stories. usually one guy can only excel at one thing.
one guy climbs mountains. another one hunts with a bow. If you want to do both you probably gonna fail at both. do one thing at a time.

sometimes you hear about people who got horribly injured (usually while drunk), because they wanted to do the crazy stuff they saw or heard of. I think it's better to learn the lesson before something like that happens.
that doesn't mean to not go /out/. just take a second thought on the videos and how much training each individual has before it comes to an awesome video.
>>
>>786297

You won't "ruin the edge", the edge is quite a bit more durable than many of the knives commonly recommended for bushcraft as the edge is less acute, 30-35 degrees factory edge id guess, compared to a mora thats about 20.

>what can it be used for?

Cutting stuff, like any knife.

Just take it into the woods and use it, don't over think it. As long as you're not creating excessive torque or hitting it with a stick you should be good.

>>786864

Ignore morons like this, a UKPK is a fine tool to use while /out/. This guy is the equivalent of some 70 year old fuddy saying a polymer semi auto will never be as good as a revolver.
>>
File: 20160528_215005.jpg (541KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160528_215005.jpg
541KB, 2048x1152px
>>792559
I make stuff myself. The best thing you need is obviously a knife. Something smaller, a pocket or below 4 inches works. Youll also need a whetstone and a strop. Youtube how to use them.

After that, its all imagination. A pencil helps, but i dont use them anymore
>>
>>792559
Also, keep in mind works like that you posted are usually done with much practice. Make very deliberate cuts, take things slow. Dont be afraid to stop a project until next trip.
>>
>>793219
Nice penis faggit
>>
>>793219
>>793224
Thank you for your answer. I just wanted a more /out/ answer than what I picked up on youtube and some random articles I found through google. It all seems to sum up to what you just said though. Now I want to find a knife I can use that will last me a long time with proper maintenance so I don't buy a new one every few months.
>>
I'm gonna start backpacking/camping as soon as I can, but I think I might've been too eager. I bought a REI 70L backpack. I'm sticking with it because I know it's good quality but the more I look around the more I understand it's probably overkill.

I'm gonna keep it because I want to do a very long distance hike one day, and then I'll manage to put it to proper use, but as for the shorter trips (say 3~5 days) or even dayhikes, how do I properly use it? Do I find some filler like newspaper and stuff to keep the weight from moving around too much?

Also, I live in a heavy ass urban area, so when I go out backpacking I'm gonna go out for at least 2 days, otherwise it's just not going to be worth it. No car, but buses and cheap plane tickets will get you far where I live. No car available.
>>
>>788957
Please explain this "canoeing for work".
>>
>>793630
It's true that your bag is overkill but you can still make do with it. I think overall your problem relies on how you arrange your things inside the bag.

I like to put my sleeping bag as well as any clothes I'm bringing near the bottom. The weight of the sleeping bag keeps it close to my hips, and the clothing I use as filler, exactly how you suggested the newspaper idea. The balanced weight bear your hips is important, as this is where your center of balance is while walking.

Think of your bag as a tetris game. You have to arrange things the best you can. I suggest doing what I typed and focusing the balanced weight near your hip, anything small or extra can move around near the top as it's easier to manage that in the long run. I feel like adding extra weight will not be good for you especially for long hikes. Just play around with your current equipment, and find a good way to use your bag space.

I'm not a professional but I'm just sharing info I've learned on my own trips. Bought myself a 60L and it was a little overkill as well for the hiking that I do, so we have a similar situation.
>>
>>793737

Thanks. I'll just try to go very prepared, maybe it'll take care of it. I'm thinking of trying to fit tent, sleeping bag and pad and maybe even the tarp there. Even if it's a huge pack, that's gotta mean something.

Speaking of weight placement

I've seen around that depending on wether you're hiking uphill or downhill, you need to arrange your pack differently i.e. heavy things at the bottom for one and at the top for the other

How does that work when your hike is gonna take you up AND down all day? What if you hike more than one direction during your trip? Are you supposed to rearrange your pack every time or can I just wing it and keep the weight near my waist at all times?
>>
>>772539
Hi, Google has download option but only for urban areas so you need something else for in between parts.

Depend on your battery pack more than the solar panel. for other options i can't make any comments.

To be on the safe side, bring a filter but the lightest option is more than enough. I think you will not even need it. Norway and Sweden are not dry hell holes. Even natural sources are usually drinkable straight away.

Come and say hello to us in Finland, also.
>>
Are inflatable kayaks worth buying? I don't have the space/budget for a normal one, but don't want it if it's like a shitty rubber boat
>>
>>774262
Try boots for rocky areas, because ankle support.
>>
>>793746
70L is not over kill if you have to carry all your food and water with you. And if there is free space inside, just tight up the straps or don't use the side pockets etc.

Heavy stuff should always be at the bottom and closer to your body. That is the most basic but then the usage of the item comes in. For example usually water is the heaviest but you need it during the day so it can't be at the bottom unless you have a bag which has a bottom opening also. It is little bit up to you and your gear to find the correct packing. Uphill and downhill difference is something not to worry that much unless you climb up and down to Mt. Everest.
>>
>>790096
Pick your battles. Army items are cheap, sturdy but heavy. If you are a lightweight crazy, then army stuff is a NO for you. I personally use Army canteen and metal cup (better than any shop bought set, in my opinion), military trousers because cheap as dirt, bivvy bag because cheapest goretex you can ever buy but 3 times heavier than a store bought goretex bivvy, though 10 times cheaper. So are you willing to pay 10 times more to have 1/3 of the weight? The answer is the answer to your own question.
>>
>>789863
Any boot+gaiters
>>
>>789815
At least how good is your Persian or Turkish?
>>
Are specialized hiking pants worth buying?
>>
I need help with my DIY alcohol stove.
It's built with 2 beer cans and some cotton pads.I followed this instruction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1CB1CYhFU
but it wont get lit.
I've tried a candle for primer, then my lighter, then a small puddle of alcohol.
the puddle kind of worked, but the stove did go out after about 10sec. I have used alcohol from within the stove, so I know it was full and the alcohol was ok. the flames were pretty big, i don't think that the holes were too small. any ideas?
>>
What, exactly, qualifies as the wilderness or backcountry?

City boy getting into /out/ stuff here, I've done some research but still am kinda confused. It seems most of the natural areas in my country are national parks, conservation units or simply jungle that no one can actually navigate through

Does a huge national park area still count as wilderness, even if it's technically fenced and limited? What about the backcountry? It's a word I haven't managed to translate properly, and it makes me wonder what the actual definition is so I may learn what to look for once I get all my shit together

Is there such a thing as a no man's land that you all go to? Not private, not in a park, just kinda there in your country? I'm assuming the legislation differs on a country by country base, but is it even legal to make fires and set up camp in these spaces?

Tl;dr how likely am I to get arrested or at least fined for going adventuring /out/side?
>>
>>794076
i'm living in a country with high density, so /out/ is just any area with woods and less people. I will most likely stumble across other people when more than 2 hours /out/.
there are fireplaces you can use and camping outside of designated areas is forbidden.
but they can't fine you if they don't find you, right? so I try to stay out of sight. or on property of private persons I know.
>>
>>793800
Yes.
>>
>>794076
National forests you can free camp in USA for free
>>
So I have these Potable Aqua Purification Tablets and the first time I used them the water ended up being like super murky and pretty gross looking. Is this normal?
>>
File: 71DEs4NokSL._SL1000_.jpg (187KB, 1000x982px) Image search: [Google]
71DEs4NokSL._SL1000_.jpg
187KB, 1000x982px
>>771001
I have a paracord question. Lets say you have a 100 foot length, do you guys cut it into smaller lengths for various tasks? Like for a ridge line on a tarp I'd imagine you'd want one long piece, but then what about smaller lengths for tying down the corners/inserting pegs? Plus if you're just tying something onto your pack or holding some sticks together you wouldn't want to use all 100 feet right? So what to do? Cut it into several 10 foot lengths and then keep a long one for tarp purposes?
>>
Going camping in south Florida in the middle of summer, do I need a sleeping bag or should I just save the weight?
>>
I'm going to be getting my first batch of camping gear in a while. Backpack, tent, sleeping bag and that kind of stuff. What kind of testing should I do to see if it's good?

So far to get used to it I'll load up the backpack and take a 5 mile walk to see if it holds and if I don't get completely fucked by the weight, and practice setting up the tent and dismantling it a few times on concrete and grass. I wanna test it first so I'll have time to ask for a refund and it's all fucked

What else should I do? What about camping stoves?
>>
>>796112
Cut it into 4x 25 feet or 1 50ft 2x 25 ft is what I usually do. 50 ft for a bear bag and then 25 for hanging the tarp, you have the extra 25 to cut up for whatever.
>>
Should I bear bag camping in south fl?
>>
>>796443
Just bring a fleece blanket or something. The most important thing is to make sure your tent or whatever can keep the bugs out.
>>
>>796112
Cut as need bro.
>>
File: unnamed.png (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
27KB, 300x300px
>>771001
Where does /out/ keep their compass? I'm trying to find a place on my bag or me that will never come into contact with magnets and won't put the compass in danger
>>
>>796758
Keyring that goes in my pocket.
Also has a spark plug gap gauge and a truck key on it.

It's a small/cheap one, so if it breaks i'll buy another.
>>
>>793219

So... this is a dildo...
>>
File: 1466244435667.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466244435667.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
David from the TV show Alone was wearing this hoody. Can anyone recognize it?
>>
File: coffee sponge.gif (1MB, 1275x916px) Image search: [Google]
coffee sponge.gif
1MB, 1275x916px
Will going /out/ really give me peace?
>>
>>796853
Lester Boreal River Bush shirt, I'm pretty sure mate.
>>
>>771001
I'm thinking of buying a flintlock rifle but I have no idea where to find decent flint, or even how to properly identify them, any tips?
>>
>>797702
That definitely looks like it. Thanks!!
>>
>>797868

I feel like that's more of a /k/ thing, unless you mean to hunt with that

If you mean to hunt with that, I ask, what the fuck?
>>
Where should I live /out/? I'm looking for somewhere I can be in/next to the mountains, on/next to some water (lake or ocean, whatever), with a relatively young population and a decent market for engineering jobs.

I'm assuming somewhere in the PNW or Rocky mountain area, but does anybody know of any cities/towns in particular?
>>
>>798234
If you don't mind working for oil and gas, New Mexico is a pretty good option
Close to Colorado for the sweet Rockies, tons of National Forests, beautiful sunsets
>>
>>771001
Best snow tent or bivi?
Will I die hiking in Scotland and Iceland in November?
>>
Hello /out/! Long time /an/ lurker but this is my first time on your board. Would this be the board for a stargazing thread/discussion/general? Would anyone have any interest or should I try /an/ or elsewhere?
>>
>>799775
You might get results on /sci/ but I doubt anyone on /out/ would object to a stargazing thread
Plus /out/ has fewer superior shitheads than /sci/
>>
Why do I need to hang my food from trees if bears and raccoons can climb ?
>>
>>800971
You tie it high enough off ground so bear can't track by standing, far enough from trunk to bear can't reach from climb, and far enough below tree branch to bear cannot reach down and get it.
>>
>>800971
Bears and raccoons are defeated in different ways. As >>800995 said, hanging the food is to defeat the bear: they can't reach it. Raccoons, squirrels, and other rodents can reach it, but they are defeated by the bag itself.

That being said hanging food isn't 100% guaranteed. Hungry critters can be tenacious, and bears and raccoons that commonly encounter hung food bags eventually learn how to get to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMoq8u2Fw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UucHtYr29cE
>>
>>800971
>>800995
I'm not the anon asking but I am curious about the racoons part, those little fuckers are smart as fuck. It doesn't seem like a bear bag is going to keep shit from them. I just planned my first "real" camping trip and I'm worried because I just went car camping a few days ago, and racoons are smart as hell. There were sandy little paw prints all over my car and ones on the handle of the door closest to where to the food + cooler was, like they would have got it all if I forgot to lock my car. How is a bag swinging from paracord not basically a big juicy pinata for them? Can't racoons just climb down the paracord since they're small enough and tear through your shit?
>>
>>801038
If you're using a bear bag there's no way a raccoon is going to be able to get into that. Even a good canvas bag is going to give them a challenge. They won't be able to apply much force while hanging off the ground. Basically all they can do is gnaw on it, whereas on the ground they can bite and pull/yank/rip.
>>
>>801058
I thought a bear bag just referred to the way it was hanging in the air not needing tough fabric... So if I hung a drawstring ripstop bag with a draw string close do you think racoons could get into it?
>>
>>801063
Take some mace and street the cord you hang the bag from, they won't be able to hold on and get to it
>>
If sleeping bags use down, and down is duck feathers. Could you eat duck feathers and keep your belly warm at night?
>>
Should I salt my water when it's really hot outside ?
>>
>>802675
No that's stupid. As long as you're eating food with salt + sugar that is enough.
>>
>>793746

>>793786
Sound advice:
>70L is not over kill if you have to carry all your food and water with you. And if there is free space inside, just tight up the straps or don't use the side pockets etc.

Bullshit:
>Heavy stuff should always be at the bottom and closer to your body.

You'll quickly discover that it's most comfortable when the heaviest stuff are somewhere about your shoulder height or just under, with the overall balance somewhere in the middle of your bag.
Hence why >>793737 suggested putting the (lightweight) sleeping bag and cloths at the bottom.

As this anon has sagely said, arranging your bag correctly is very important (balance the total weight in the mid back, left-right balance, useful things at the top etc) so mind it like a tetris game as he said.
The first packing would take some time, but it'll get faster every time you do it for any given trip as the stuff is virtually the same.
After putting on the backpack check the balance and rearrange if needed.
Over the many km's any small imbalance is going to make itself felt. You may not even realize the cause but get some side hurting more than the other, or a shoulder etc...

>Uphill and downhill difference is something not to worry that much
Correct.
>>
>>794076
>What, exactly, qualifies as the wilderness or backcountry?

Who cares? I think it's more of an individualistic definition.

>Tl;dr how likely am I to get arrested or at least fined for going adventuring /out/side?
Depends on the country you're in (as all laws really). In the 3rd world there's usually little to no laws outside of some small restricted areas, but's too general of an answer as well.

>>796445
Backpack, you have your own answer.
sleeping bag, if it's a worthwhile brand you should not fear trusting it. Just don't go too close to the "comfort" temp specified in the first trip to make sure.
tent: only real thing to check is it being waterproof, if it rains plenty in your area just find an open space big enough to pitch it and let the rain do it's thing for a couple of hours.

Stove...? just fire it up in your apartment? very rarely will those have a problem.
>>
>>802697

>Depends on the country you're in (as all laws really). In the 3rd world there's usually little to no laws outside of some small restricted areas, but's too general of an answer as well.

Considering that no matter how much I look I can't seem to find a single rule about public use of national forests aside from things directed towards big business and industries in my country, I guess it's all fair game as long as I don't wander into private property. Which might be a problem because some people have fuckhuge properties, but hey, I suppose that's part of it.
>>
I am going to a 3-4 day hike in southern uk (kent) area. i'm a bit worried about rain.

Will a poncho combined with a softshell jacket (doesn't keep rain out that good but dries fast) keep me dry?
What about putting up a tent in the rain, wouldn't everything get incredibly wet until it's finally set up?
>>
>>804407
If you can afford the space, take a tarp
>>
Can someone recommend me a good scarf for Alaskan-tier winters? I have a nice wool ushanka and a warm coat but I always lose so much heat through my neck and face.

I've tried a fleece tube scarf but those make me sweat so much if I'm doing anything active and are a bitch to remove when you're sweaty and are wearing mittens and a bulky hat. I've also tried a fleece bandana type face mask, that was a little bit better because they're velcro but it still wasn't warm enough to keep my nose from getting snotcicles after a few hours.

How does this look? https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-scarf/35394 I'd assume a high quality merino would be my best bet.
>>
>>780066
Hobo stove is cheaper and better.
>>
>>777054
southern track way better

source: Huon valley
>>
File: Telegram-messenger.jpg (217KB, 1250x767px) Image search: [Google]
Telegram-messenger.jpg
217KB, 1250x767px
Not a question but if you are knowledgable and/or passionate about the outdoors, prepping, survivalism, and living situations give me a bell on Telegram @mollymawk. 25yo Irish male. I need some people in my life who know their shit and are passionate about these topics. Bounce ideas, resources, stories et cetera back and forth and grow.
>>
Need to get a new pair of hiking boots. Any recommendations?
>>
>>808616
Try trail runners, I've got about 500 miles in on my LA Sportiva Wildcat 3.0s, I've never blistered with them and they are very comfortable.
>>
When I'm /out/ is it weird that I don't wipe my bottom I just wait to wash up in a creek or body of water
>>
>>809038

yeah that's gross
>>
File: trailwise tent.jpg (45KB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
trailwise tent.jpg
45KB, 360x261px
Looking for recommendations for 2-person tents.
Weight needs to be suitable for backpacking, but I'm not really into the whole ultralight thing and most of my camping is done via canoe so I weight isn't necessarily the highest priority. I care more about durability.
Price range: $300-400, could be up to paying more though if it will get me something considerably better.
Will be living in it for as much as two months at a time in treeplanting camp, so comfort is something of a priority, though I'll have a solid tarp setup and my car to store gear. I don't want one of those "2-person" sizes that has you sleeping on top of each other.

Pic related is the heirloom tent that I've been using. Actually a great tent - super durable, good in wind, rain and snow, and not too heavy. Unfortunately the PU coating of the tub floor and ends is flaking off. I would recoat it but I'm struggling to remove the coating fully. Any tips on removal of PU would also be much appreciated.
>>
>>809451
forgot to add that some mild winter camping capability would be ideal, but not a must if it'll rule out some good options
>>
>>809039
Why is it gross I don't bring anything to wipe with ethier all it does is cause littering
>>
>>771326

Despite being a writer (novels) I don't write while /out/. I prefer a keyboard/laptop. I bring a kindle and read, though, usually something comfy like Tolkien. Fondest /out/ memory is finishing the Hobbit while on a river at sunset with autumn-turned foliage and gentle mountains around me.

>>771342

Water, 2 towels (trash towel to keep my bike from getting grease on the seat fabric, regular towel for human use), space blanket, regular blanket, flashlight, pens.

>>773109

Ones that fit. Depends on your terrain. Go try some on. In general, arch support, bottom grip, and possible ankle support. Lightweight > heavy. Don't fucking wear converse you faggot.

>>775110

I've done sections. It's rocky as hell, get damned good boots with ankle support.
>>
File: northcal.png (200KB, 522x551px) Image search: [Google]
northcal.png
200KB, 522x551px
Looking for good hikes and hopefully free backcountry hotsprings in area related for an upcoming trip. I don't mind hiking in to something. Also whether you can sleep roadside or not, like just pull off onto a dirt road at dark to sleep in your backseat. (Probably no camping gear with me because circumstances.)
>>
>>786915

Peppermint essential oil. Be warned you need to acclimate to it. It's like cutting onions.
>>
File: 1460921381147.jpg (71KB, 750x724px) Image search: [Google]
1460921381147.jpg
71KB, 750x724px
I want to start hiking and camping but I've always wondered how you people go about finding a place because where I live there are a bunch of restrictions. Like, do you go to national parks or just book it out?
>>
>>809535
Good luck it's full of people
>>
File: northcalifornia.png (1MB, 724x671px) Image search: [Google]
northcalifornia.png
1MB, 724x671px
>>809585

Is it? I've been looking at pics, vids, and wikis. A lot of these towns are pretty damn small. Like 100 population small. I won't be able to find a place to sleep innacar? Hotels/airbnbs the whole time will kill my budget. Even campsites were proving expensive, like 30-70 a night for a patch of land to pitch a tent.
>>
>>809546

Where do you live?

Depending on the answer I am also interested in this, because where I live dispersed camping is simply not a thing, the legislation doesn't cover camping at all, it's either designated campgrounds or hope nobody stumbles on my tent
>>
Anyone know of any good places to go /out/ in the DMV area?

I currently live in Waldorf MD if that helps.

I'm still working on getting all the stuff I need to go /out/ so it will be a couple of months. I'm buying it one piece at a time every time I get paid. Just curious about places around me so I can look into and see which one would be the best option.

Thanks in advance.
>>
How the fuck do i keep deer out of my garden. Little fuckers keep munching on everything. I somtimes fire off my rifle to spook them away (and to remind them hunting seasons coming up). But they just keep wondering back. I bought a stupid little sensor thing that makes a hogh pitch noise when animals go into your garden but it doesnt seem to keep them out. Doesnt even keep the cat out from using it as a toilet.
>>
>>809633

shenandoah, elk neck md, near pawpaw tunnel WV/green ridge state forest md, a lot of places in south jersey.

>all the shit you need

Tarp, rope, shoes, blanket, water bottle, whatever pack you have on hand. Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>809636
you should probably fence your veggies in
either something really high, like 2m or two smaller ones with space in the middle
can be build pretty well with hazel or willow and you got a good chance to get a living hedge after a while

also you can try to find a plant that deer really really like and plant a lot of them outside of your garden

then the will just munch on them instead of trying to eat your plants that are hard to get to anyways

and when there's hunting season, you got a good chance to have deer visiting
>>
>>809669
Fuckers munched all my tomatos.

Thanks for the reply. Ill be doing some research on plants they like. I put up a snow fence around my garden. Doubt thatll keep em out but lets hope! And come hunting season the tables will turn and i will munch on them!
>>
How do I into camping?
I have 2 tents that are way to big for one person.
>>
>>809636
Poison your garden.
>>
>>785830
bring long johns for warmth, regular ol' slacks work fine during the day and despite what some people say there nothing wrong with wearing jeans.
>>
What's a good budget to have for some beginner camping equipment? Think three day weekend at most. I've been reading up on the things to bring but I'm having trouble getting an idea of what I should expect to spend.
>>
>>774413
>Is there any hammock that's better and/or cheaper than ENO?
Most of them. ENO is decent quality, but heavy and bulky and way overpriced. Meme Central.
>>
>>785094
Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.
Do some googling about "dispersed camping" and see what comes of it.
>>
>>785692
Tandy leather is where I get all my leather for projects. Dunno if that's helpful to you, but there it is.
>>
File: chernobyl1.jpg (231KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
chernobyl1.jpg
231KB, 1200x800px
Any of you anons ever been on a tour of Chernobyl?

They don't seem to be as expensive as I was expecting and it's something I've always been pretty interested in doing. Is it worth it? Which tour provider would it be best to go with?
>>
File: 64.jpg (675KB, 2000x450px) Image search: [Google]
64.jpg
675KB, 2000x450px
>>812561
Been there done that.
It´s not what you would expect but it´s worth a weekend trip
>>
>>812563
I see.

I was considering just going for a one-day trip tbf, but if I do end up going I may as well save up a little longer and go for the two.

Need to actually get a passport first, heh.

Anything I should be aware of beforehand?
>>
File: 6641986.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
6641986.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
>>812561
I am going to post some Pripyat pictures.
>>
File: 75892067.jpg (48KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
75892067.jpg
48KB, 500x333px
>>812573
>>
File: 107446936.jpg (194KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
107446936.jpg
194KB, 1024x678px
>>812574
>>
File: 43384561.jpg (50KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
43384561.jpg
50KB, 500x333px
>>812575
>>
File: 21305364.jpg (165KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
21305364.jpg
165KB, 1024x768px
>>812576
>>
File: 2.jpg (2MB, 1800x1345px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2MB, 1800x1345px
>>812566
1 day in the zone and the rest in Kiev.
Dont dress fancy dont show that you got money dont be rude dont pretend to be a slav tip moderate book the best hotel you can afford
AND TIP NR 1 DONT EVER GO FULL STALKER IN THE ZONE! Stay with the tourguide and listen to what they say. There is still strong radiation and risk to be contaminated
>>
File: chernogates.jpg (666KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
chernogates.jpg
666KB, 1024x640px
>>812585
All fairly obvious points tbqh famolio

Thanks though, wasn't expecting tipping to be a thing in Ukraine
>>
>>812596
Also use buss instead of taxi from airport much cheaper and "safer" never take a taxi on the street instead book one from the hotel and tip the driver.
Oh dont pack much travel light and have fun :)
>>
What's a good warm weather/summer bag for backpacking?

>Bonus points for Kelty, Big Agnes, Nemo, Sierra Designs, or under $120
>>
>>812585
And unlike in videogame, the only way to get rid of external contamination is to burn your clothes, to cut all hair you have and to shower you with high pressure jet.
The only way to remove internal contamination is to wait it out.
And the only way to get rid of irradiation... Just kidding, you can't.
>>
File: radioactivitat.jpg (65KB, 748x540px) Image search: [Google]
radioactivitat.jpg
65KB, 748x540px
>>812585
Most of the zone is fine, but always keep your counter on.
>>
What do semi-poorfags like me do to catch walleye without a boat or kayak?
>>
File: 1.0x0[1].jpg (45KB, 700x473px) Image search: [Google]
1.0x0[1].jpg
45KB, 700x473px
>>812977
Either that or you catch a small fish first, keep him alive and use it as a bait.
>>
quality set of aluminum hiking poles? main uses are going to be hiking and as uprights to hold my tarp up
>>
>>813449
you have a price range in mind?
>>
>>813487
anywhere up to/around 50 bucks. could go up to 100 if they're really high quality for one reason or another
>>
>>813449
What purpose do hiking sticks serve besides something to attach a tarp? When i hike I'll sometimes grab a thin branch and walk with it but i don't use it for anything moire than something to hold
>>
>>814034
they do wonders on uneven terrain, especially when you have a pack on
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.