[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Fjallraven actually good or is it overpriced fad gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 16

So is Fjallraven actually good or is it overpriced fad gear? I can't imagine this would have good back comfort compared to more "modern" bags.
>>
I don't know about their larger packs, but the kanken is overpriced hipster gear, there's no reason to have shitty straps like that except for fashion.
>>
>>769700
It's mostly hipster tier shit. Check in how many srs expeditions their gear has being used. Don't fall for it.
>>
As other's have said, it's a hipster meme.
>>
I have a Pair of Keb pants that are legit the most comfortable things I have
>>
>>769700
>kanken is overpriced hipster gear

My mum had one that was about 30 years old. I thought it was cool and started using it. Suddenly all the asian kids at uni start wearing them. My mum has her bag back now.
>>
As far as I can see the only people using them are normies. In the city.
>>
Most of the hipster gear are designs from the 60-70s and where good stuff for their time. They have some good new gear but personally I think other brands offer better products at the same price or a bit more, like arcteryx.
>>
>>769700
I've had one for years. I have the large laptop Kanken in black, and I love it. It's great for traveling due to the boxy nature of the bag, it allows you to pack tons of shit in it. I would imagine this would be great for outdoors too, but I haven't tried. The backpack isn't really waterproof, but it's waxed a little so it is better than your average backpack. If you buy their wax you could do completely waterproof it, I'd imagine.

I really like the backpack, and if you think it looks good then don't listen to these bitter people, who even cares. It's better than most of the crap on the market.
>>
>>769700
some of the gear is good, if a bit pricey. personally I don't really favour them much because it all tends to be quite heavy compared to similar alternatives.
>>
>>769830
This. The kajka is a wonderfully comfortable pack, but it is quite heavy. Then again, their pants are really good and they have a new range of tents this year which looks oretty good
>>
The kanken was designed as a kids school bag some time ago. In that way it is not meant to be outdoor gear.
I use one for flyfishing because you can wear them quite high above the water line.
Its quite comfortable but i wouldnt trust it too much load.
>>
>>769838
This. You cant just judge the whole Fjallraven brand as either good or bad. It is what it is. Some of the stuff is not even designed to be outdoor-gear. And a lot people buy it for fashion which make a lot of people on /out/ hate it, but that does not make it bad in it self.

In general they are a good quality but pricy outdoor-brand that focus on hard-wearing gear and clothes instead of being the most lightweight out there. They use thir "G-1000"-fabric a lot, which is (just) waxed polycotton. A bit like milsurp, but more luxurious.
Thier "Keb"-pants are in my opinion some of the best outdoor pants in existence.
>>
File: Fjallzo.jpg (213KB, 700x985px) Image search: [Google]
Fjallzo.jpg
213KB, 700x985px
>>
>>770117
>>
File: fj.jpg (103KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fj.jpg
103KB, 500x500px
>>769700
seems obvious to me that these packs are designed for urban wear, and they appeal to women.
I only see women wearing them

if I wanted a pack from FJ I would look at something like this instead, but the price is still a bit too steep for me
>>
>>769700

Sounds like overpriced.

Arcteryx too. Some nice shit, but it's hit or miss.

I personally love cheaper brands like Häglofs or trangoworld.

They've never let me down, unlike Arcteryx
>>
File: F23060-220_0.jpg (56KB, 522x298px) Image search: [Google]
F23060-220_0.jpg
56KB, 522x298px
I have pic related. Used it for short hikes where i don't want a full pack. I now have it packed as a bushbag.

Comfortable? Yeah.
Worth it? No

Bought it impulsively. Not mad that i have it, but could have found a cheaper alternative.
>>
>>770205
Would like to hear how arcteryx has let you down. Not a dead bird shill, just curious
>>
File: 126_ilbe_assault_pack_16.jpg (95KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
126_ilbe_assault_pack_16.jpg
95KB, 800x508px
>>770248
Could have used more organization in mine but the damn thing is bomb proof. Plus it's more the USMC's fault for choosing ArcTeryx in the first place for design I guess.
>>
>>769700
It doesnt look particularly rugged to me
>>
>>769700
kånken is a fashion piece but their actual camping stuff is good but pricy. you basically pay a bit more for the brand.
>>
>>769700
Their G1000 outerwear is good, most other products are useless overpriced fashion shit, with a few sturdy designs here and there.
>>
The Kanken is an overpriced fashion gimmick for hipsters. I'm looking into getting the Abisko backpack, it's robust, has adjustable shoulder straps, looks slick and most important, it has front access. Dad of a good friend of mine is agent for FR in my country, so I'm trying to get a good deal like the jew I am.
>>
File: 1453771268894.jpg (14KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
1453771268894.jpg
14KB, 240x228px
>>770265
>Blame arcteryx because the USMC choose a design not optimal for tactical usage (according to anons own preference).
>>
File: rly.jpg (14KB, 232x226px) Image search: [Google]
rly.jpg
14KB, 232x226px
>>770437
>stops reading after first sentence
>>
>>770490
>Arcteryx too. Some nice shit, but it's hit or miss.
>They've never let me down, unlike Arcteryx.
>it's more the USMC's fault for choosing ArcTeryx in the first place for design I guess.
So is there actually anything wrong with Arcteryx or what?
>>
>>770248

I have one of the softshell jackets, it's pretty mediocre in performance and fit compared to a Häglofs I bought on sale.

I also have gloves, not ideal and not woth what they cost compared to what cheapo fleece gloves do.

Shitty boots also.

Great shirts though, I have a couple of those.
>>
>>769804
you can't use a bag you think is cool because now others think it's cool too
you liked it before it was cool
you're a hipster
>>
I own a friluft 35 liter bag from them. I found it to be light and sturdy. No complaints and I'm proud of the purchase.

Also have their Vidda Pro Trousers, and it's bar none the best outdoor pants and work pants I ever had. The fact that you can look stylish in them is an added bonus
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (205KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
205KB, 1600x1600px
>>770284
Could you tell me more about it? Isn't it like Ripstop (70 poliester 30% cotton)?

If I could (the postage kills it..) I'd buy this (pic related) I'm honestly tried of getting wet due to transpiration that much with my plastic outwear (most of the jackets, be it goretex or simple poliester shell)
>>
>>770560
Not wanting to be part of the hip new fashion trend is pretty much the opposite of hipster.
>>
>>771013
hipsters want to start trends or join before things get popular so they can say they did it first like that guy did
>>
>>771048
>start trends or join before things get popular

which is the opposite of not wanting to be part of a trend.
>>
>>770755
Highly breathable 35% cotton/65% poly blend. It's not ripstop afaik, but pretty unbreakable (only the standard and heavy are truly indestructible), shipping from scandinavia is probably crazy, go buy a gorka instead if price is an issue.
>>
File: s-l1600111.jpg (42KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600111.jpg
42KB, 800x800px
>>772028
but.. it's similar in function? Like, I've heard that ripstop dries well, can it receive wax, like beeswax, no problem? I'm just asking this because my outer shell (polyamid/poliester, not breathable) Idk.. it's good but after a while i feel a bit sweaty)

Unfortunately both have problems with being expensive with the postage (though fjallraven prices are.. well a bit salty..)
>>
File: image.jpg (544KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
544KB, 1000x1333px
Its easy to clean
Caught this fish today and it got dirty
>>
>>772076
show up on campus with bloody hipsterpac
>get arrested
>>
>>769700
fad as shit, i nearly fell for it and im glad i didnt.

Kathamndu is my go to, good bags and good prices when they have their annual sales
>>
>>769700

https://www.duluthpack.com/outdoor/backpacks

They're just like Duluth, Red Wing, and Filson. They mark up their prices and alienate their old customers because they know hipsters will pay exorbitant prices.

But brand loyalty is an important thing. Once the hipsters move on to a new fad they'll lower their prices and start trying to appeal to people like us again. That's when you need to remember not to give them your money.
>>
>>774890
>https://www.duluthpack.com/outdoor/backpacks
People spending that kind of money on a daypack is something I simply can not understand.
>>
>>774890
a kånken is like 40 eurodollars though
>>
>>774911

What kind of sorcery is this
>>
>>772063
Ripstop isn't really a material in itself, you're probably thinking of ripstop nylon/polyester (ripstop is a special weave in the material that can be done on most fabrics).

G1000 will take a bit longer to dry than nylon/polyester, but breathes far better than pure synthetics and is easily waxed (Fjällräven sells beeswax, sometimes you get it with the jackets).
>>
File: lol.png (192KB, 922x678px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
192KB, 922x678px
>>774895
>>
>>774740
>Kathmandu
Absolute shit tier gear marketed towards people who never go /out/ at obscene prices, and staffed by people who never go /out/. You deserve better anon. Are you aus or NZ?
>>
>>775098
thanks anon
>>
>>775108

wow, that's fucked.
>>
File: 1456163408502.jpg (60KB, 693x663px) Image search: [Google]
1456163408502.jpg
60KB, 693x663px
>>774920
hævè yœū ñévêr sėëń thiš?
>>
>>771050
not him but he was right in calling you a hipster. A hipster wants to start trends or join before things get popular, and then move on to the next about-to-be-cool thing before everyone else catches on. But it doesn't really mean anything to be called a hipster because pretty much everyone wants to be at least a little special and being ahead of the curve feels nice. It also doesn't feel too nice when something you though was cool "catches on' and everyone starts liking it. You don't know if they really like it or if they only "like" it because it's what's cool to like.

tldr you shouldn't care about being called a hipster

ironically as evidenced by this post i care a lot lol
>>
>>769838
also this. Interesting use for fishing. seems like it would fit that kind of gear nicely. I've heard they are comfortable. when I worked at a thrift store a little while back I had to convince the manager not to throw one of these bags out because I knew they were decent and would sell.
>>
Brand is solid. High quality, high price. Works for me.
>>
>>774920
whát ařé ýoü tälkiňg about, éíáýžřčšě?
>>
File: haglofs.webm (1MB, 492x360px) Image search: [Google]
haglofs.webm
1MB, 492x360px
If you go for Swedish, at least avoid the memes an get the real deal
>>
>>769700
you do know that the Kånken is a school-bag, right?
like litereally designed for kids/students to put in books etc
>>
>>779278
Jesus Christ all that gear, why?
>Cheryl_Strayed_starts_PCT.webm
>>
>>779359

Don't know really about that webm but that's pretty standard when you are setting up a base camp either alone or with one partner when mountaineering. That's why people get 100lt packs btw
>>
>>779359
Göran Kropp, biked alone from Sweden to Mt Everest with his gear, climbed without sherpas or oxygen

He died climbing a rock in a US national park...
>>
>>779906
(Everest summit)
>>
>>779906
That's quite impressive. At least he died doing what he loved.
>>
>>779359
you are clearly no steve climber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>769838
>>779352

Just a tidbit of fun fact: Kånken loosely translates to "Lil' lugger"
>>
>>775123
Not him, but I'm in Aus. Have any info you wanna share?
>>
I can't even remember how long I've been using pants made of the G1000 material. Sturdiest shit ever, it just doesn't wear out in use. Do not judge the whole brand because you heard of it after hipsters started using it.
>>
>>782140
>after hipsters started using it

Did you really hear about Fjällräven before the 70s? That is when environmentalist picked it up and Fjällräven started marketing their products for them.
>>
File: nick-young-confused-face.jpg (40KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
nick-young-confused-face.jpg
40KB, 505x431px
>>782192
>before the 70s
>>
>>782196
Yes?

The 70s is when Fjällräven became popular among the hippie crowd. If you started using Fjällräven any time after the 70s, you are using it "after hipsters started using it" (>>782140)

I know selection of outdoors products is scarce in the USA, but you could at least try and not get shit on
>>
>>782287
dude hippies and hipsters are separate things

and i'm from sweden so don't get all shitposty about fjällräven with me buddy
>>
File: cat1.jpg (123KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
cat1.jpg
123KB, 565x600px
>>782287
Ancientfag detected.
>>
>>782317

-Pretend to care about the environment
-Pretend to understand hardship
-Music sucks
-Fashion sucks
-Politics sucks

There's really no difference.

But, on topic. There's no real reason to spend more than 60 dollars for an /out/ backpack, no matter who makes it.
>>
>>782287
>I know selection of outdoors products is scarce in the USA

wat?
>>
>>769700
>posts a picture of a white girl wearing one
Do you even have to ask?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.