[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desert Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1412499379309.jpg (24KB, 352x370px) Image search: [Google]
1412499379309.jpg
24KB, 352x370px
I'm going out to the Mojave with my geology class for some mapping in Rainbow Basin. I've never camped in the desert.

My main problem is my tent. It's a cheap 30 dollar tent from target with lots of mesh. The place we set up camp will be canyon with insane wind at night. Last year an instructor's tent was literally blown away. I've got decent stakes and I'll weigh down my tent so I'm not concerned about that. Rather, sand and silt will be blown into my tent if I can't find a way to stop it. Will a strong tarp taped around my tent be enough?

Any other miscellaneous tips for desert camping would be appreciated.
>>
Knock out your boots/shoes before putting them on in the morning.
>>
>>769448
Don't worry, you'll learn everything the hard way like we all had to. Well not me. I did geology in Europe so we stayed in hotels like civilized human beings but... nevertheless you'll be fine.

Shake out your shoes and cover your dumps
>>
Sorry OP, no matter how well you try to cover up, you won't escape the dust and silt in the desert. I just went out last weekend actually and I woke up with about a 1-2mm of sand covering me because a wind storm came through over night. It's tough times.

Bring water into the tent at night, and I advise having eye drops and chapstick. You'll be a dusty bastard come morning.
>>
File: are you a legend.jpg (57KB, 1277x543px) Image search: [Google]
are you a legend.jpg
57KB, 1277x543px
>>769448
>tent
Tents made of nylon tafetta are utter shit in the desert, and will photodegrade faster. Anything with a ripstop floor and preferrably ripstop walls (better resistance against coarse sand) and at least 6 anchoring points will do nicely. I've used my Big Agnes single person backpacking tent innadesert for years in all weather and it's served me very well.

>Any other miscellaneous tips
Just because it's hot during the day doesn't mean it won't get cold as fuck at night. Bring layers.
If using a tarp & hiking pole tent setup, fill in the gaps between the ground and the tarp with your gear/ rocks, anything you can find to better insulate while sleeping in the cold.
Check under your sleeping bag for Fence Lizards, rattlers, and other critters, they love to crawl under there in the southwest. Otherwise you'll sleep on them and have reptile guts all over your gear. This happened to a friend.
Ravens and other birds are fucking assholes. Pack your shit up tight when leaving camp for the day or they will break into it.
Don't sleep in obvious gullies and wash zones. When it rains, it pours in the desert.
Hike as the sun goes down or after dawn to conserve water if need be.
Raincovers can help diminish dust in the tent.
Keep your water inside a backpack or out of the sun during the day, makes it a lot more pleasant to drink.
Sand = death for camping stoves, keep them sealed up tight and use a windscreen.
Once you feel thirsty it already means you are dehydrated. Make sure to drink plenty of water and make obtaining it your first priority.
>>
>>769448
Like everybody else said, just learn to deal with the dust and sand. The poster who said bring water into your tent is giving good advice. In fact, just bring lots of water, period. Also, either sunscreen or clothing/hats that will keep you from getting baked. Also, bring a light jacket. Deserts can get chilly at night, even this time of year.

Another option for your tent is to look for a cheap-ish (I'm assuming that as a college student, you don't have tons of $$) tent that has a rainfly. It won't keep everything out, but it will stop a lot of it. Just go to the various sporting goods stores and look for something on sale.
>>
>>769455

Put 'em in a mesh bag the night before
>>
>>769510

>sunscreen
This. I totally forgot to mention that in my post. Last weekend when I was out (samefag from water in the tent) I woman was adamant about getting me sunscreened up heavy. It feels like shit the first hour or so being all sticky and shiney, but I came out from the weekend with no sunburns and a light tan, my friends, who thought they didn't need sunscreen, were as red as the devil, and complained a lot about the pain. One even had blisters, he should probably get that checked out.

But yeah, sunscreen saves lives OP. Always bring sunscreen innadesert.
>>
>>769509
Ripstop doesn't stop abrasion, it stops sticks from continuing a big tear. Higher weave count does, also cordura Nylon does (but is heavy and shit and not used in tents)

A good tip is to take an extra layer between you and the sand. Like an emergency blanket or something. The sand gets cold.
Also a 30 tent is garbage. You will most likely get condensation/moisture in the morning. Enjoy that.

If you are worried about blowing away, take some sturdy plastic bags with you and fill them with sand and knot it well at the top and put them in the corners of the tent.
>>
>>771256
Yeah if you're going out for a full day and you normally spend your days indoors then use sunscreen, no matter what the weather. There's nothing shitiier than sunburn
>>
>>773466
You could be born a nigger.
>>
>>773857

Maybe it's maybelline
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.