[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wilderness Survival Resource/Tips Request

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (227KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227KB, 960x720px
Sc/out/s,

Next spring I'm going to help teach a class on wilderness survival. It's at a middle school and will take place over nine weeks with three 1 1/2 hour classes per week culminating in a camp out where they'll have to find a good campsite, start primitive fires, build shelters, set traps, and find water. I should be able to get these kids up to about a First-Class scout level pretty quickly but I'm coming to you with a request.

If you read the subject you'll see what I need your help with. I've only spent two weeks total in the wilderness with only primitive tools.

What books can you recommend or tips can you share that I can read and practice over the next year to prepare me to prepare these kids to be self-sufficient in a primitive survival situation or if they get lost camping/hiking?
>>
2 weeks survival experience...? Uhh, being honest op you are find fucked. I myself have been a trapper for 8 years and a hunter for 8 years since I was young very young. What kind of primitive skills? Location? type of forest? type of skills/things you will be teaching? Books I'd recommend The Sas survival book.
>>
Just make a list of questions/what you are doing with them.
>>
>>769319
I've been camping regularly for over fifteen years but I've only spent two weeks out with only a knife and rope. So I'm not fucked.

I'll be teaching them the things you mentioned plus identifying edibles, navigation, signaling, fire making/building, making char cloth, building traps, hunting, identifying flint and the basics of knapping, knots/lashings, finding/purifying water, knife/axe technique, shelter building, first-aid. Stuff like that.
>>
>>769319
It's in East Texas so it's a mix of marshland, coniferous forest, deciduous forest, grassland, and coastal plains.
>>
>>769321
Thanks, I'm working on that but my issue is the unknown unknown so any resources that helped other people on this board would be a huge asset to me.

All I've got right now is Some of Tom Brown's stuff, the BSA handbook and an old Army suvival handbook.
>>
Being honest you can only do half of what you said. Learning knots and lashings first day or so just do that around the camp... I am just going to make a list of what I personally think you should do
-Fire, Knife, Axe safety also basic first aid do that before you even set up camp people are retarded as fuck.
-Shelter building although what kind? Semi Perm? Perm? 1 night stay?
-Fire then night navigation.
-Trapping wise takes years to learn. Anyone can set a trap not everyone can catch a rabbit. Being honest there. You'd be better off teaching survival fishing methods
Again with hunting what kind? Slingshot? 22.? Shotgun? Bird? Deer? Rabbit/small game?
The small stuff you can cram in when around base camp...

Honest things I'd remove. Signaling, knapping I know how too but lets face it that takes years of practice.
>>
>>769324
>identifying edibles
probably should do only the most obvious, like cattail or pine/birch inner bark. then there are some properties of plants that let you assume it wont kill you. poison ivy being a testament to why you shouldnt do that, but poison ivy is a very oily plant and oily plants are naturally avoided. they say watch for what the rodents or birds eat, but i also learned from a young age that birds eat berries that are otherwise poisonous

there are wilderness survival schools that upload to youtube, which is an excellent visual resource. they already have course structures and etc

if you want to teach them primitive fire, assuming you arent already a master. watch david west on youtube. he has a small channel of 1400 subs or so subs, but he has like 1000 videos literally of him just making primitive fires. including 1 very rare and unappreciated method called a fire roll, which ive seen take off in rural parts of the world for its simplicity and effectiveness

the egyptian well, the 5 "c"s. making cordage out of natural fibers with the reverse wrap. mechanics of thermodynamics and methods to combat them.

reading your most recent post i see you are already very well versed. when it comes to trapping, western media i think is prohibited from showing the more effective primitive traps. they often only show snares which is a pretty involved system. pitfalls and funnels

also the philosophy that doing it indefinitely is impossible without an established crop rotation. you will always need to effect a return to society. how to make thick smoke, etc
>>
>>769355
seriously though, david west will teach you to make a fire out of spit and a rock. his ethic astounds me. years of doing the same thing and uploading his efforts, and keeps that 1 thing fresh and informative every time
>>
>>769348
>night navigation
Nope. A big nope. It's a survival course for noobs. You are not training the bloody sas. They should stay put at night and mind their shelter and fire.
>>
>>769348
I have nine weeks of preps before these people touch a camp site, and remember, this is a middle school and this is an elective, there will be Boy Scouts that want to demonstrate their tiny amount of ability.

First-aid is the first priority and knive/axe safety is the second, rest assured.

There is literally nothing easier to teach in a classroom than knots. In an hour and a half I can teach them at least Three knots/two lashings. Give me three days, or 1/9th of the class I can have them drilled on the best survival knots the three best survival lashings.

I'll be teaching how to create fish traps/rodless fishing. I'll also cover how to identify trails and bottlenecks and how to set a snare, as well as figure-four traps.

Hunting will be based on having no heavy duty hunting equipment. With a bow/rifle, it's a matter of identifying the trails, baiting, traffic flow, silence, maintaining FOV, and patience. With primitive hunting I'm going to focus on a risk/reward system that encourages simpler methods like throwing sticks, clam hunting, crawfish gathering, egg hunting. I'm not going to teach big game methods since I'm assuming they would to have those methods available.

This is a subsistence-based class focused on surviving until you can find help.

Signaling is absolutely vital since most lost people want to be found, unless they want to die in the woods.
>>
>>769355
I've never heard of this channel or the method so I'll definitely check it out. Thank you, this is the first resource that I'll be able to show the kids right away that will demonstrate the skills first hand. Since there a time limit to the teaching period I do worry about failing a couple of times and losing my shot to show them a method to build a fire.

I am aware that green stuff makes the most smoke so I'll teach them to start adding it along with their firewood in order to get an identifiable smoke going.
>>
>>769371
Being honest if you can navigate at night you can do it at day. I got lost out on my mothers trapline with the dog sled and a small blizzard came in took me 4 hours to get home. I ended up having to stop and cuddling with the dogs because I was getting to cold -50 degrees C. Night is alot easier in my honest opinion but thats just me. Didn't lose any fingers or toes. End up making a fire and cuddling with the dogs til it stopped.
>>
>>769379
Canadian?
>>
>>769381
Canadian Eh? Yea I am Canadian I grew up north so I became very use to 6 hours of light and 18 hours of blackness.
>>
>>769381
Canadian Eh? Yeah I am a Canadian I grew up north so I got use to dark days. (4 hours of light 20 hours of darkness)

Not sure if double post it glitched
>>
Edit: Dark days at start are around 6 hours of light and 18 hours of darkness and in the mid of the dark days as we called them 4 hours of light. You get use to doing your daily chores in darkness. Its not that hard to be honest.
>>
>>769382
>>769384
Hi Tom
>>
>>769391
My name is Derek not tom but okay.
>>
>>769385
its generally not recommended, even by those capable. if you are in a final stretch, maybe, otherwise, you are risking more than your safety by not respecting your rest. personally i prefer moving at dark, because the activity helps against the cold, and sleeping in the day in the sun is many times more rejuvenating. needs to be a starry and moonlit night though
>>
>>769393
I mean if you dont know how to or dont feel safe to do it then I would advise against it but I did it for many years daily so I am so use to it.
>>
To teach kids you dont have to be anything extraordinary, just very well versed in the basics.
>>
>>769310
This is suspiciously like a thread that was made earlier about someone teaching 'desert island survival' to a class of kids aged 9-11 for an hour looking for ideas.
>>
>>769419
Weird coincidence but desert island survival is basically a waste of a class.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.