[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homemade jerky?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

File: chicken jerky.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
chicken jerky.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
I'll be doing a lot of backpacking this summer and I like to bring chicken jerky. But store-bought is expensive so I want to make my own. Does anybody have experience with this? Does home-made jerky last long? Can anybody recommend a dehydrator that's not too expensive? Any other tips on homemade jerky would be appreciated too, thanks.
>>
>>768856
chicken?

a cheap option is to use ground beef formed into strips/patties; got a cheap dehydrator at a garage sale, they're the kind of thing people use a few times then don't want to justify keeping

I've just let it sit for 12-24hrs with seasoning and curing salt, never had any go bad....but that's cause I ended up eating it
>>
>>768856
Don't use ground beef. That's absolutely fucking retarded. Eye of bottom or basically any cheap cut of meat does well. I have a Hamilton Beach dehydrator and it's great. I've used it almost every day for the past year and I wish I had bought one sooner. You can dehydrate veggies, fruit, herbs, soup, pemmican, and fruit leather aka fruit roll ups. Home made beef jerky lasts for a very long time if stored properly. I'd wager years.
>>
>>768985
it's absofuckintootley not
>>
Commercial chicken is fucking disgusting, it's full of bacteria before they are even slaughtered because they live in 3" of shit. I wouldn't make chicken jerky unless it came from birds that lived outside.
>>
what is a good/tasty seasoning? do you guys just salt and pepper the meat and then put it into the dehydrator?
>>
>>768985
>beef jerky lasts for a very long time if stored properly
well if you cure it with salt and sugar and vacuum pack it after you dehydrate it and you store it in a cold place then maybe.
>>
>>769047
Really? Is there any way to make chicken jerky work with commercial chicken? I've never liked beef jerky. What about pork jerky?
>>
File: hurr.jpg (4KB, 234x215px) Image search: [Google]
hurr.jpg
4KB, 234x215px
>>768985
>You can dehydrate soup
>>
>>768856
1 cardboard box lined with aluminium foil
1 light bulb, 60W
Done.

Did mine in an oven, never again. 7 HOURS of low heat, money-out-of-the-house bullshit to get about 1kg of meat dried. After that, placed it in a zip-lock bag. Started to mould in 3 weeks. So, to take away:

>make small doses, only what you can eat in about a week
>store them in mason jars if you don't need them
>treat them as cigars out in the open - they rot fast

Vacuum-packing would've been sweet, I didn't have access to that. Thinking of smoking my meat. How well would it fare?

>>769259
But Anon, you can.
>>
>>769270
>But Anon, you can.
A soup is water plus x ingredients. You can dyhadrate it's contents, but not the soup as a whole.
>>
>>768856
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVBWGLt8_4
>>
>>768856
Honest advice make pemmican its alot better and alot tastier
>>
File: IMG_3125.jpg (348KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3125.jpg
348KB, 960x720px
>>768856
I make them regularly since I hike and kayak often.

Homemade jerky will last you for a few months, to store it longer keep it in the fridge, to store even longer or waterproof then vacuum seal them.

I bought the Excalibur 9 Tray Dehydrator with Timer for around 300 euros, it's a really good product that has never failed me, it has plenty of room to make big batches.

As for other tips you can use any lean meat, and when I mean lean, I mean absolutely no fat. Fat doesn't dehydrate and will rot your meat. This is my process of preparing a batch: I buy 2kg of meat which will give me about 1.20kg of jerky. After removing all of the fat and cutting it into stripes or squares I prepare a bowl with soy sauce and a shitload of spices, this is where you can be creative, or google for recipes. Then I let it stay there for 12 to 24 hours, I remove them and dry the excess and put them in the dehydrator at 72ºC for 3-4 hours, flip them, and put them another 3-4 hours.
>>
File: IMG_3119.jpg (277KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3119.jpg
277KB, 960x720px
>>769289
Jerky in the tray.
>>
File: IMG_3124.jpg (312KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3124.jpg
312KB, 960x720px
>>769291
A batch.
>>
>>768856
>>>/ck/

Also the rest of this thread is so fucking full of misinformation and outright lies it isn't even funny.

Google this shit before you dispense it as gospel you mongoloids.
>>
>>768856
Alton Brown's show "Good Eats" has an episode on homemade beef jerky. I watched it on Netflix yesterday.
>>
>>769270
The whole point of jerky is that it stays well for long periods of time.
No one is going to make jerky for one week at a time, that's just retarded. And so are you apparently.
>>
Best jerky I ever made was thinly sliced pork that I marinated in a salt-and-sugar solution overnight, then rinsed it, dried it, and smoked it in my Little Chief. Kept for a year in a ziploc bag in the trunk of my car (FYI: not recommended! Hot + humid.). I at it intermittently, half expecting that each time I might get an upset stomach. Never did. It was delicious and kept forever. The brine and the smoke-dehydrating combo is a great inhibitor of mold and bacteria.
>>
File: giggles.jpg (44KB, 597x381px) Image search: [Google]
giggles.jpg
44KB, 597x381px
>>769270

>Thinking of smoking my meat.
>>
>>769306
>Being this triggered
Back to >>>/ck/
>>
>>769369
I'm not triggered, jerky that can't keep isn't jerky.

Not sure why there's all this cu/ck/ shit telling people to go there when cooking is something that is done /out/
Even /diy/ has bbq smoker threads.
Protip: things can be on topic across boards
>>
>>769358
When I said I "dried" it, I didn't mean dehydrate. I meant pat dry. Just wanted to clarify that.
>>
>>769272
Are you playing a semantic game here?

>I make soup in pot
>boil it down to paste
>put that in dehydrator
>crumble and dehydrate more

You gotta use that big human brain every so often.
>>
>>769403
What do you mean by keep? How long does something have to 'keep' under what conditions to qualify it as jerky?

Do you mean that it requires nitrates/ites?
>>
>>768856
beef is gonna be a lot easier than chicken.

cut top-round or london broil into thin strips, flavor with with something salty hang it from the over rack (I use bamboo sticks to hang more) heat over at 200 degrees leave oven open a crack let it dry over 4 to 8 hours.

easy.stuff.
>>
>>769557
how is homemade soup stock worth the trouble?
>>
>>769272
the final product is very slightly hydrated gelatin from the meat
>>
>>769293
ck is a pretty shitty board for its label. if you think the people there are qualified to answer these questions, you havent been there long
>>
>>769158

I'm really not qualified to say, the curing and drying process my render commercial chicken safe to eat but personally I wouldn't go there. The equivalent of the FDA in the UK recommends not even rinsing chicken before cooking because it increases the risk of cross contamination given its toxic 100% of the time because of the the conditions in which its produced.

Beef inhibits bacteria penetrating the meat which is not the case with pork and chicken, it's why steak is regarded as safe to eat rare but not preformed burgers as any surface bacteria is mixed in. Pork is eaten raw in the form of salami all the time and in a way it's a much better candidate for charcuterie than beef as pork fat keeps while beef fat goes rancid fairly quickly.

What ever you do, find a recipe and follow it and you shouldn't go too wrong.
>>
>>769289
My great uncle gave me an Excalibur dehydrator a few years back. He owned a pecan farm and used it to make candied pecans or something to take to trade shows. He sold the farm and had no use for it anymore. I use it 3-4 times a year to make venison jerky and occasionally dry some spices or herbs from the garden. It's a great dehydrator but I wouldn't have bought one for just the few times a year that I end up using it.

As for OP asking about pork jerky, I've never had much luck with it. Jerky needs to be made out of the leanest meat possible. That's why venison and lean cuts of chicken, turkey, and beef do well. Most pork is just too fatty to make good jerky out of.. I've even used meat from feral pigs that normally has much less fat content than store bought pork and it was still too fatty.
>>
>>770114
Pork loin is quite lean. That's what I used, with good results.
>>
>>769158
Pork jerky is super delicious
>>
>>769647
>>769047
Looking online, some people recommend sticking the chicken jerky in an oven at 200 degrees for ~10 minutes to make sure bacteria are dead. The dehydrators go to 155-160 degrees which is only 5-10 degrees below the recommended temperature for chicken. So I'm thinking dehydrator until it's almost done, then finishing in an oven, should work.
>>
>>769292
Looks dank anon
>>
>>768856
Beef heart is amazing, and generally cheap as fuck as noone else wants it.
>>
Oof a few years ago two friends and I went on a 5 day kayaking trip.

Convinced we were going to catch a million fish all we brought was a water pump and 5 lbs of beef jerkey my friends dad made.

Ended up eating nothing but beef jerkey for 5 days and didn't catch a single fish.

I couldn't eat anything that smelled or tasted remotely smokey for a year.
>>
>>769547
But then it's smoked pork, not pork Jerry, surely?
>>
>>771163
It dehydrated in the smoker. After you marinate it, you rinse off the brine on the outside of the meat and pat it dry (so it isn't dripping) and let it air-dry just a bit (like for 30 minutes to an hour) (forms what they call a pellicule on the outside of the meat) before you put it in the smoker to smoke and dehydrate.
>>
>>771062
I did that one time, except the "contengincy" food we brought was Gu gel (a glucose energy supplement) and fat free powdered milk. Only food we could reliably find was highbush blueberries that weren't quite ripe yet. Ate tons and tons of those with the fat free powdered milk, reconstituted with filtered lake water. Four days. Oh god. We did manage to gig some frogs and caught some kind of vole things in rat traps each night.
>>
>>769297
This. Good eats actually has a lot of good tricks and info that could be used for the outdoors.
>>
>>768856

Home-made doesn't last longer I think... it's the dehydrator that companies use.

As for cheap dehydrators, just use salt or marinade it. This should help: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/11/20/how-to-make-the-best-beef-jerky-in-the-world/
>>
>>771357
Gib examples
>>
>>771357
I was afraid I might catch shit for that.

>>771441
I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Go check out the show list and see what interests you then try and torrent it/find somewhere that shows it.
What's great about his show is the science. He explains why things work. I like the odd sense of humor and the show's goofiness but you may be turned off by it. Nevertheless there is fantastic info to be had.
>>
>>771462
Ok, so I found a few episodes for free on food network‘s site. Nowhere near what exists but it should give you an idea of what the show is like.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/players/food-network-full-episodes.32ed9342-0a9d-43dc-9db9-6c5191db1908.0157907.html

Netflix has the jerky episode
>>
File: 1463608311810s.jpg (11KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1463608311810s.jpg
11KB, 250x187px
>>771439
>art of manliness
>>
>>771462
>Good eats actually has a lot of good tricks and info that could be used for the outdoors.
>I can't think of anything off the top of my head
K you need to start getting your shit together before posting anon. It's not like we are going to watch a full show to find out about those tricks. Your post, content wise, is just spam
>>
>>771500
You're quoting two different people. I didn't post the thing about the show having tips for /out/

I replied that I couldn't think of anything to the anon that was asking the other anon that made said post.

Someone may find the show to their liking.
Just because you didn't get a bullet point list doesn't make it spam.
>>
>>769576
Nutrients.
>>
>>770114
>>770166
This is just some theorycrafting on my part but you should be able to make some sort of pork pemmican.

If fat is just around the edges and not marbled all into the meat you could cut it off and render it or salt it.
>>
I would not use chicken personally because it is often raised in confinement and attracts pathogenic bacteria. Here in the UK I use lamb to make jerky, particularly lamb leg as it's cheap and had the biggest muscles. Remove any fat and dry it, will keep for years.

If OP is looking for good hiking food, you need the fat for energy. I recommend cheese (raw keeps better at room temperature) and salami. Salami keeps well in the heat because it is raw pork and bacteria, the bacteria stop the bad bacteria from infecting it. You can also take "minute rice" which can be eaten as is.
>>
>>772562
>Salami keeps well in the heat because it is raw pork

people keep saying it is raw....it is not, it is cured
>>
>>772562
>Salami keeps well in the heat because it is raw pork and bacteria, the bacteria stop the bad bacteria from infecting it.

Please stop posting, you're going to kill someone with food poisoning.
>>
>>772886
Fucking keking mao.

Didn't read his post but hey >>772562, stop posting m8 someone can get hurt
>>
>>772562
>You can also take "minute rice" which can be eaten as is
We don't have boiling saliva like you dragon apprentice
>>
File: wtf.png (6KB, 160x186px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
6KB, 160x186px
>>772886
>mfw bacteria moral police arrives to avoid bad bacteria from getting into the pork meat
>>
>>772892
Kek

I like it up up and anon was on the right track but wrong. Bacteria does do some work but it is then killed. The resulting byproducts are what make conditions inhospitable to harmful bacteria.
If I read this correctly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salami

Disappointed that bacteria with little batons aren't beating the nigger bacteria from getting in
>>
>>770166
>>772503
Yeah, if you buy a REALLY lean cut of pork then you'll be able to make jerky with it. Pork loin is kinda expensive though isn't it? I haven't bought any from the store in a really long time because I get so much pig meat from hunting wild pigs. Most of the pigs I shoot are in the 80-150 pound range so their tenderloins are pretty small. I was quite surprised when the pork jerky I made using meat from the back hams turned out "oily" when the meat appeared to have a very low fat content while I was butchering it. It had a good flavor but I didn't trust it to keep for very long.
>>
>>773137
Yeah, pork loin is rather spendy. I buy pork top loin at Costco and it's cheaper that way than at the grocery store. Cheaper than buying jerky, though. Pork tenderloin, top loin, sirloin are lean and not too expensive if you buy it at a place like Costco. Beef top sirloin or top round are probably the cheapest lean jerky meat you'll find (excluding the fussy stuff like trim and soup cube etc).
>>
>>772886
>you're going to kill someone with food poisoning
How stupid are you? Not understanding good vs bad bacteria. I'm sure you also think probiotics and gut health are pure voodoo too.
>>
>>773137
>Pork loin is kinda expensive
You may be thinking of tenderloin. Pork loin is like 1.99/lb USD
Even tenderloin is only $3-4 USD when on sale.
>>
>>771613
the amount of nutrients is negligible, and ramen stocks and boullion all have fat/salt and some macrobiotics. why make your own dried stock, the process is way too energy and time consuming. its actually irresponsible to make soup stocks on a personal basis
>>
i like using roast beef and i buy as cheap as i can get it. got a dehydrator from the UK that i rigged to work on my local sockets but just remember the plugs when ordering electronics online bought it off amazon on sale.

>Does home-made jerky last long?
no, its too delicious to resist, but yea i guess it does,

remember to check if the dehydrator you are looking at is rated for meat,

and other then that, experiment, have fun with it, explore tastes you like, i made a batch with some spicy miso dip i got from the local sushi joint and it made for a really interesting flavor profile.

you probably will save money in the long run but its still "expensive"
>>
>>773360
Well like I said, I haven't bought any pork (or beef, for that matter) in at least 6 years since I get enough venison and wild pig meat from hunting. My freezer is running low this year though and I looked at meat prices the last time I went grocery shopping and couldn't believe it... Meat is fucking EXPENSIVE.

Yes, when I hear "loin" I think of "tenderloin", not the "lesser" cuts of meat from the rear skirt of the animal but still.. I'm not gonna pay $4/lb for meat that I'm just gonna marinate and run through the dehydrator, that jerky will be over $15/lb by the time I'm done with it.
>>
>>773447
Just use salt and sugar to make your brine. An electric smoker doesn't cost much to run. That's the cheapest way to make your jerky, without a lot of added cost. If you want to get fancy with your marinade, you can go crazy with the cost I guess. Unless you're paying yourself by the hour, I don't know how you're getting up to the $15/lb mark if you're only paying $4 per pound to buy the dang meat.
>>
I was talking with my brother and we want to do Alton Brown's method this summer. Should I make a thread here, /diy/ or maybe /ck/ ?
>>
>>774749
6lbs of meat only yields about 1.5lbs of jerky for me once I'm finished dehydrating it.
>>
>>774749
Generally 1 pound of jerky = 3 pounds of meat.
>>
>>768856
Well, shit! You're right. Wouldn't take long to get up on $15 per pound. That went right over my head.
>>
>>774909
There will be an immense amount of bitching and moaning either way. Your call.
>>
File: IMG_0093.jpg (461KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0093.jpg
461KB, 768x1024px
I've made 2 batches of jerky from wild canada goose. First time with soy sauce based marinade in a counter top dehydrator. 2nd was teriyaki in an electric smoker. 1st batch was my favorite.
>>
>>775331
Did you use the whole birds or just the breasts?
>>
>>775336
Just the breasts for the jerky. First time I was a little wasteful removing any fat and silver skin. I got better the second time.
>>
my shiitake jerky. 2 heads of garlic, soy sauce, balsam vinn, sake, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flake, chili powder, hot madras curry powder, onion powder. let it soak over night so it absorbs all the liquid then dehydrate for a few hours. this shit is gonna be so good. my trail mix game is unmatched.
>>
>>775344
>>
>>775340
Lol yes I was asking about the jerky, didn't mean to imply you wasted them. Someone who takes the time to make jerky can use the whole animal of that I'm sure. Thanks for answering anon.
>>
>>775344
how does that work?

it doesn't go bad without being brittle dry?
>>
>>770951
>heart

i've done this before too, no bloody taste at all but it can be a bit gummy.

ends up more like biltong.

heart, or whatever the cheapest /toughest cut of steak works best
>>
>>775351
nah its mushrooms. its chewy and fleshly like meat. its got a several month shelf life too
>>
>>775383
some can be tough even without being cooked/dried, I'd likely end up with teriyaki shoe

I just saw something where someone used a food processor to make it into almost a paste, and then formed them into strips....I like that idea
>>
>>768856
I've been making my own jerky for about 6-7 years now. Unfortunately I can't help you with chicken, although I have an industrial slicer, so I don't imagine it would be any different with chicken than with the beef and venison I usually use. I marinate with mostly pepper and Worcestershire sauce, paprika and crushed red peppers for something with a kick. Meat thickness depends on how long I want it to last, thicker pieces won't keep as long unless you dry it out completely, in which case it becomes tough and brittle. I prefer it juicy, though still fully jerked. It will only last a few days, but it disappears quickly at gatherings, so that's usually not an issue.
>>
>>769306
Depends on how quickly you plan on going through it. I have some I keep in a bag in the car, going on a year, vacuum sealed, still good. I replace it every year. It's always super dry and not the best, but I don't waste it, and if I was stranded and low on options, it would be awesome. Personally I prefer the stuff that doesn't last long, easier to chew also.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.