[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 81

File: image.jpg (74KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 600x399px
#42- "Maine Schoolies" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>766718

Mainebub is finally seeing some schoolies so he will be setting up camp on the waterfront soon. Fishing Generals are fill of male models, especially Skid. It was cloudy and stormy this afternoon by me, wish I coulda gotten to the lake before the rain but was stuck at work. Hopefully Miami anon got the rod and line today and will actually catch some fish unlike yesterday.

Tripfags gonna tripfag.

Talk about fishin'
>>
>>768527
Got a trip to Emerald Isle NC in a couple weeks. Any anons wanna give some advice? Been to the OBX have fished for Flounder, seatrout, and Red drums at the Oregon Inlet and the Jetty. Same tactics apply for bogue sound?
Im excited for some Saltwater. As a Kentucky cunt its only a once in awhile treat.
>>
anyone here fish from docks and shore? If so any tips? we're kinda limited to the brush and how far we can cast. I'm not sure how to get an advantage out of it?
>>
>>768534
get a kayak or canoe
>>
>>768534
Leaves me wanting a kayak as well. There are certain lakes where part of the shoreline has trees hanging over it and looks perfect for fish to chill under on a sunny day.

Just gotta explore and find the spots that produce. Structure, drop offs, the outside of weed beds and all that good shit. But sometimes it is worth fishing in places that may not look the best, you never know what's underwater.
>>
Why is fishing so damn complicated? It's so hard to learn. Everything is so circumstantial.

What fish are you going for
Whats the environment like
What type of water is it
What time of month is it
What time of day is it
Has it rained
What temperature is the water
What color is the water
What rod do you have
What reel/line do you have
What lure do you have
What color is it
Do you crank it slow or fast
It's not working, is there no fish or are you doing something wrong? Impossible to tell because it's water and you can't see the fish if there are any
Are you in a boat or on the bank
What body type of water is it
What is the moon cycle full or half
What color shirt did you put on today
What foot did you put in the boat first
It really doesn't help that all the information about fishing on the internet doesn't apply to where I live, which is southern Lousiana. I live by lakebpontchartrain where it's brackish water
It's almost impossible to learn without someone to teach you. And even if they taught you how to fish one day, the next day could have different circumstances and your fucked.
I wish academy and fishing stores only sold what worked for the area instead of shit that only works in other states

Bitching rant done. How long did it take you all to learn how to fish where you are? I've been fishing for 4 years in my area now and I still have a billion questions that the Internet can't answer. And even when I ask locals they all tell me different things.

I just want to be one of those old white guys in a boat that limits every time they go out with
>>
>>768558
I still enjoy just going out. And over the past year, I have started using a lot of different techniques and lures. Doing much better compared to the past couple summers I have been here in FL. I mentioned it before, since I started using more than just Mepps and Rapalas, I rarely have a day where I don't get anything at all.

But I think atmospheric pressure has a lot to do with it (or some other vodoo) so I may catch 12 bass in 2 hours on Monday and with seemingly the same weather on Thursday, only get one fish.

The more I'm fishing this one lake, the more I see that there is something beyond water temp and time of day. One day I will go there in the afternoon and get 5 decent largemouth and nothing else. The next day, no largemouth to be seen but I get a bunch of those Mayan cichlids. The next day after that, no Mayans around either but I have little snakeheads going for my lure every other cast.

I need to start tracking the pressure trends and try to make sense of it.
>>
>>768558
>>768565
And I think there is a limit to what you can expect from picking the right color or lure. On the days when the bass are eating everything, I might catch 6 fish on a gold crank instead of 8 if I would've picked the firetiger crank. And when they aren't biting at all with hot water and high pressure, you could drag a crawdad 6" away from them or a spinner 6' away from them and they won't show much interest. On those days, it seems like the best bet is just to keep tossing a finesse worm on the botom from every possible spot on the shoreline and eventually one or two will be curious enough to eat it or the sun will go down and the bass will get active anyway.

Damn, after this storm I really want to get to a lake but I got like no sleep last night.
>>
>>768569
Atmospheric pressure? Damn there's another one to add to the list. You fish in Florida right? Offshore? Do you know how people know where to find fish in the flat open sea with no cover or brush? Just fish finders?
>>
>>768573
I do freshwater because I'm a pussy.

I need a rich friend with a nice boat and I will start fishing saltwater. Even then, I think these charter captains know where the underwater structure and bait fish are. There's lots of reefs and stuff.
>>
>lake stocked with trout
>go 3 days in a row
>only one sunny
>creek stocked
>go today
>now 4 days dry in a row
>in fact we didnt even see shit in the water

is it my bait?

i tried different power baits, some fire bait, and balls of fire, and a different brand of salmon eggs, all nothing.
>>
File: IMG_20160517_181650.jpg (5MB, 3543x2657px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_181650.jpg
5MB, 3543x2657px
Opening day of fluke, not too shabby. Caught a bunch of shorts, no keepers, but its a great sign for the season.

The kayak kicked my fuckin ass today. 7 hours of paddling, and just when im about to paddle a mile back in, the wind shifts to directly in my face, 20mph...

I also have a hilarious sunburn on only my hands. The wetsuit covered everything but my hands lol.
>>
>>768581
You need to sacrafice your first born child to the devil and then you will catch them.

Maybe it depends what their feeding on too. I'm not sure with the trout, but if they eat eggs for a month or two and then switch to eating smaller fish, maybe you need something that replicates baitfish like a small crank or inline.

I have no clue. Sacraficing a child is probably the best bet.
>>
>>768586
That asymmetry really triggers my OCD.

Makes me want a kayak more. Do you take yours on open water or stay pretty close to shore?
>>
>working shitty temp job for $15/HR
>get a call just now from another company that wants me to come on full time
>salary equals about $30/hr
>wants me to start Thursday

Can someone give me a reason not to just skip work and fish all day tomorrow?
>>
>>768597
Do it.
>>
>>768603
+1

>>768597
Unless you are really gonna miss the pay from that day, then go for it before you get bogged down with this full time new job.
>>
>>768588
i started fishing last thursday so i dont know shit senpai
>>
New as fuck fisher here. Going to buy my first rod tomorrow. Any advice one what I should get? Fish around my lake is mostly bass and some catfish
>>
Another video is up. Best day of fishing in a while on Sunday.
https://youtu.be/0Xkmdunm7-k
>>
File: image_3.jpg (118KB, 1702x630px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
118KB, 1702x630px
>>768609
These might help you choose. It was posted by I forget which trip.
1/2
>>
>>768609
>>768618
2/2
>>
>>768614
Another good video. I learned about micro fishing from your videos and will give that a go once it stops raining here in Kentucky.

How long is that rod?
>>
>>768618
>>768619
Not gonna lie, I have been seeing some inexpensive Lew's reels that look really nice. I wonder if the performance holds up. Haven't heard anything bad about them just curious what some of their ~$50 reels feel like.

>>768607
Sacrafice a child. It's the only way.

So were you just using a bunch of different brands and types of trout eggs?

>>768609
Size is important too. I always say 6'6" medium weight rod, 8lb mono line, and something like a 3000 size reel. Just look at the line capacity on the reel and get something that will hold ~150yds of 8lb mono.

8lb should handle all your bass and channel cats and you can still cast some crappie lures with it. You could go 6lb as well if you think you will do more crappie and panfish and less catfish. 6lb will still handle largemouth.
>>
>>768621
The rod in that video is short, 4'8" long. My one-piece rod is more like 6'4" I think.
>>
File: 20160517_144349.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_144349.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>768593

Today i was about a mile out. When the wind picked up it got a little choppy. Im well equipped though, and gaining sone experience now.

I would feel comfortable going further if the wind would let me lol. The scariest thing is knowing the wind can shift at any point, and change the game completely. Paddling Into a headwind 15mph+ can be brutal and exhausting. Having that happen more than a mile out would suck, especially if it got rough as well.

Just gotta be prepared, know what you're getting into, have the proper gear for the conditions, and a backup plan if you get sucked out to sea lol.
>>
>>768586
I got my ass kicked on the kayak today, fought outgoing tide and eastern gusts while making my way up river to the dam, then faced western winds with an incoming tide on my way down stream to get home.

fucking exhausted. so much fish today though, had a fucking blast catching shad. Pretty sure we hooked into a few schoolies but they broke our ultralight shad rigs right off. editing some video now.

nice fish dude! what yak do you have? I might buy a new one this week, my little white water simply isn't cutting it and I have outgrown it.
>>
>>768558
Well over a decade and I've still got no idea
I usually catch when no one else does but I never outfish anyone on a good day
>>
>>768674
I don't know how you can fish off a Kayak, I feel claustrophobic on my paddleboat
>>
>>768581
Try some flies on 2 pound test under a bubble float
I'd recommend Prince nymphs and hares ears
They don't imitate anything specifically but roughly many things
>>
>>768681
>Well over a decade and I've still got no idea
best way to sum it up imo.

you can fish all your life and still learn something new every day.

>>768683
haha wait until you see my 'yak dude. it's not even 9 feet long.
>>
>>768609
Medium action 7 foot uglystik
>>
>>768685
What do you think it would cost to ship your yak to me? I bet it Will be fine for the lakes and creeks near me
>>
>>768689
hahahaha I will never get rid of that 'yak it used to belong to my dad.
>>
Guys I fucked up buying a rod combo at bass pro and only got a 6' rod (I believe it is medium - light as well, pflueger Trion), should I replace it with something longer and heavier? I've noticed that it's difficult to use some heavier lures like a football jig.
>>
>>768709
That will be fun for bass. You have to remember a 1oz football jig is a heavy ass lure. Ideally you wouldn't run a football jig on the same rod you're using for 1/4oz Rapalas.

Depends what you want to do. I would like that size for bass and panfish like crappie or big bluegill. If you want to run along the bottom, set up a Texas rig with a 1/4oz weight. But if you think you will be casting big 1oz crankbaits and jigs a lot, might want to go 6'6" or 7' M or MH. MH will feel the best with the big 1oz jigs but won't give you shit for feedback on a lighter floating Rapala.
>>
>>768714
Thanks that's reassuring. I have been using it with lighter rigs and it hasn't been an issue, except for the football jig, and some topwater lures seem to be difficult to use as well. I got a "KVD sexy dawg jr" lure and it's hard AF to use senpai. Though I have no idea if a larger rod would help for that.
>>
>>768527
Any Tennessee fags here? Im moving from the north east to TN. how's the fishing?
>>
>>768724
Or southernfags. southernfags, tell this seadog how to fish your waters
>>
>>768636
what kayak you got? ive een tempted to b ring my kayak out in the sound but its oly 10 foot, stable as fuck but that also makes it tiring to paddle since its so wide
>>
File: 20160517_212349.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_212349.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Miami anon here, the rod just came in. Is the part where the two pieces of rod meet supposed to be reinforced with any material, like tape or glue? I don't trust those two pieces to stick together by just jamming one into the other.
>>
>>768734
No anon, a two/three piece rod is supposed to be like that
>>
>>768743
Well that's pretty neat then.
>>
>>768734
its set up like that so you can take it own to put in the ack of a car or some shit like that, just be sure to push them together firmly enough, its pretty embarresing throwing the top half of the rod off into the water
>>
is good line worth it?
I've noticed it's impossible for me to set a hook,mostly due in part because my line keeps the spiral after being casted, so even after I reel it in a bit, the line is never taut, and if I try to set a hook, I have to pull through the slack first which almost never works.

it could also be that the line is just too heavy as if I remember correctly the test was 15lbs, but I can't be completely sure on that
>>
>>768541
>>768549
typically it's me and a bud or two, just by teh shoreline casting in. we have luck with little fish, but I get what your saying .
>>
>>768728
Texas rigged creature baits
1/8 size sinkers, 5/0 offset shank wide gap hooks
Slow retrieve, pitch it into deep cover, weeds/Lilly pads/sunken trees etc all good places

This will catch you big bass especially since we'll be getting real hot temperature wise here shortly

Morning and evening tie on some shallow cranks or a spinnerbait, a popper or jitterbug if there's noticeable topwater action

If you have a boat with a depth finder this greatly expands your options since you'll be able to work underwater channels, underwater points and flats, find cooler water etc
>>
>>768750
You mean your line is curly? It shouldnt matter too much.

monofilament line has this elastic memory so when you curl it on the spool or stretch it, it gets a little stuck that way. one way I've see people fix curly line is they pull the line and squeeze it between some rubber. another way i've seen is to steam the line and pull it.

IMO it's easier to just buy line in bulk (like 1500 yards) and change your line if you find it is getting gross.
>>
>>768750
The test is probably too high. Mono that high get quite stiff. What/ where are you fishing for and what rig are you using. For you to use mono that high, your rig would be quite heavy and can easily straighten the line out.
>>
File: 20160517_185255.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_185255.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
went back to Dick's again to sweep through the clearance stuff and got all of these for $7.

Probably won't need more tackle for a while now
>>
>>768734
Ayyy it came!

I always kinda twist it back and forth while pushing it down, it will end up snug.

Did you get stormed on today? We got hit pretty hard and I bet the bass would've been out earlier today before the rain started coming down.
>>
>>768767
Ooo brush hogs and senko worms...

My favorites
>>
>>768760
you can also set the drag kind of loose and stretch out a bit of line to streighten it out
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>768767
>probably won't need more tackle for a while now
Haha, you say that like you're serious. You will be back there later this week.

I bought some of those Strike King football jig heads fron Dick's too. Not bad for trying to get the soft baits standing up off the bottom again. Only problem is they still seem to pick up little crap (like regular jigs) so I think they might be best used on a sandy or rocky bottom with no vegetation. Nothing else slides through the gunk on the bottom as well as bullet weights on Texas rigs.

Did they have any of the KVDâ„¢ Perfect Plastics? Those are pretty nice soft baits when not paying full price.
>>
>>768777
Caught kvd shilling for kvd
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Has anyone used craws turned sideways as swim jig trailers before? I was just messing around and I used one of the ones with a torn claw and it actually looked pretty good in the water. Real subtle and looked just like a tail on a feesh.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>768789
>he doesn't into Sexy Shadâ„¢
>>
>>768777
yea, I do mostly fish rocky an sandy saltwater inshore. I might try fresh water now that I have some of those worms and baby brush hog though

> Did they have any of the KVDâ„¢ Perfect Plastics? Those are pretty nice soft baits when not paying full price.

No, i didn't see any I think. However, I did get a KVDâ„¢ jerkbait off the clearance yesterday >>768003
>>
What fish is this?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What fish is this? I have others I'll post too. Caught em with a cast net
>>
>>768801
That spot means shad I think
>>
>>768801
And what's this one? I caught it in lake pontchartrain by the bulkhead of my canal. It's brackish water if that helps.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
nd what's this one? I caught it in lake pontchartrain by the bulkhead of my canal. It's brackish water if that helps.Dss
>>
>>768801
Looks like a shad. Delicious. Rig it up on a jighead
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 375x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 375x225px
>>768804
>>768801
Sumn type of shad
>>
>>768805
Little crappie
>>
>>768805
Looks like a bluegill

Could be any sort of pan/sun fish though i dont know the differences between any of them except black and white crappie
>>
File: 456456456456456456456456456.png (2MB, 1383x779px) Image search: [Google]
456456456456456456456456456.png
2MB, 1383x779px
>>768801
"river herring" or "alewife" or "blue herring" or "american shad" I'm putting my money on river herring, the term encompasses two species of fish, also is much to early in the season for juvenile shad that small.

its the small baitfish that are inhabiting eastern brackish now, alongside shad, striped bass, and sturgeon.
>>
>>768810
If you look at the shape of the forehead above the eye, that is pretty distinctive of a crappie compared to a bluegill. Slightly different body shape too. Plus the spots.
>>
>>768749
I'd be mortified.
>>768770
I got the rod about an hour ago and I just finished spooling it now so I haven't gone outside for today. Hopefully I'll have a chance Thursday to head out.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4030x2920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4030x2920px
Tasty cornfed trouts here
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 450x503px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 450x503px
>>768812
Makes sense, bluegills are rounder.

I havent seen a crappie that small before
>>
>>768790
Yeah I did it with a chigger craw once
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>768809
Cool! Didn't know we had crappie here. How do I catch them? Do they eat the shad? How do I rig the shad to catch them? Can shad also catch bass because I caught a largemouth in my castnet. Pic related is where I fish. Apparently the fish stay near the bulkheads. There is a gradual decline from the bulkhead to the center of the canal which is 60 feet deep. There are also shrimp that live in the lake too.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>768817
Another pic of the canal that feeds into lake pontchartrain
>>
>>768801
Looks like a baby manhaden or however it's spelled
They're also called bunker I think
>>
>>768817
Crappie will eat anything a big bluegill or small bass will take. I always had good luck with inline spinners, beetle spins, and curly tail grubs.

And for the shad, probably just a big octopus hook or something through the back just below the spine. You could set it nice and deep on a bobber. Those will make grat bait for bigger predators.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 525x562px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 525x562px
>>768820
>>768817
Pic related, I always found going through the back a little easier than the mouth. They stay on better too.
>>
>>768820
The shad or ponies" I catch are small though. I don't think a big hook would be good. Also the sate is brackish and feeds into a giant lake. Are you sure that lures like spinners and stuff would work? It's less of a foresty worms and frogs type place, and more of a crab and seagull type place.
>>
>>768813
After seeing these shad, if you guys want to get out fishin this weekend I'm gonna grab some shiners and we need to find a lake with peacock bass. I'm normally all for lures, but peacocks don't like to hit them. If we get live shiners we can definitely get some nice fish.

I haven't rigged up live minnows in so damn long. Even if you are busy over the weekend I will prolly end up at this Weston lake with peacocks. I know some spots down your way must have peacocks too.
>>
>>768827
Spinners replicate minnows or baitfish. Almost anything will go after fish that can fit in their mouth. If you are catching largemouth and crappie a lot down there, inline spinners will probably get the job done. Something like a Mepps Agila #2 or #3.

I have no idea what else is in there though. Just saying the bass and crappie will like inlines.
>>
>>768827
spinner doesn't look like anything edible but they entice fishes to strike, somehow. They just werks. You have to ask the fish to know why though.
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 700x1009px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 700x1009px
>>768805
>>768812
>>768815
Here's a nice graphic i found

Maybe i'll tape it inside my tacklebox
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>768835
So is this a Red Breast sunfish? I've been trying to figure out what it was forever.
>>
>>768829
Count me in for this weekend. I'm gonna pass by bass pro before my shift tomorrow and buy some 4/0 wide gap hooks and bullet weights for a Texas rig. Is that the hook I should be using since I've got 6 inch senkos?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 320x320px
>>768674
Glad to hear you're getting into some shad finally. We have those on the Sacramento and Russian rivers over here, I might give them a try. Looking forward to seeing the video.
>>
File: 10476169.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
10476169.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
My first fish :3
>>
Any KY bros fish Cave Run? I've been struggling bank fishing out there.
>>
Seems like all of the trout have finished their spawn in the northern Lake Erie tributaries. Getting a lot of unintended bass and sucker action on the fly though. Caught this guy after no action for 4 hours on one of those "this is my last cast before I'm going home" kind of casts... such a great feeling. Can't wait until bass season officially opens here in Ontario.

We'll be putting our 28' cuddy cabin in this weekend and will be trolling for steelhead(rainbows) and walleye(pickerel) on Erie.

>>768922
Congrats, I still remember my first fish and that was over 15 years ago

>>768814
Beaty little bow those are what I target the most.
>>
>>768843
Get 5/0

Big hooks catch big fish
I caught a 6 lb bass the other day on a Texas rigged 5" senko worm using 5/0 wide gap offset hooks

A lot of people like to say "I caught a dozen fish in an hour" and all dozen are little fraction of a pound brim, worthless for a fight, maybe good if you want to use them as bait or if you've got a small child who will be ecstatic about just seeing the fish but me I'd rather catch one big bass than a dozen brim or other little shitters
>>
>>768930
Those red eyes on small mouth bass are pretty freaky
>>
what is cutest fish
>>
>>768944

they are indeed
>>
>>768945
Not smallmouth
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (126KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
126KB, 1041x1066px
Should I Remove Carp if I catch one? My club's preserve says not to release them.

And invasive species like Silver or Common that is.
>>
>>768956
Yes

You should not release invasive species back into the water alive

Carp are not native to the New World
>>
>>768840
Chunky guy looks like good eatin
>>
>>768942

Use whatever you like but according to Yamamoto himself the 4 and 5 inch senkos were intended to be used with 3/0 hooks. I'm partial to that size anyway though, don't see much reason to go larger unless I'm throwing a big curly tail or something.
>>
>>768942
Big hook don't catch big fish, big bai catch big fish

big hook will only (usually) make small fishes miss your bait. They'll still go for it, but won't get hooked.
>>
>>768980
I've always had success using 5/0 on 5" senkos and I just found this video of a guy from Gary Yamamoto explaining why that's a good size
Basically he says it all comes down to not wanting to go past the egg sack of the worm with your hook

http://www.baits.com/?p=120

Have you ever tried wacky rigging a senko on a circle hook?
Buddy of mine says it's been very productive for him but I prefer to fish in dense vegetation so I've never given it a go
>>
>>768956
Check your state/local laws first before you kill fish you are not going to eat.
>>
>>768843
>>768942
5/0 is pretty fuckhueg for 6" worms. I run 3/0 EWG.
>>
>>768674
You were yakking in that wind? Fucked in the head dude...
I spent the day on west facing structures casting with the wind at my back.
>>
>>768636
teach me....
Do you send down a chum bag?
I'm thinking of looking in a large semi-sheltered bay
>>
>>768636
On a bucktail jig?

When i went looking for flounder and halibut my friend said to use clam
>>
>>769050
I had to get to the dam somehow haha. I have a nice system for getting up and down the river, I know the river so well that I can travel with some effort using the eddies to move up and down the river.

I'm publishing yesterdays video now, should be done in about an hour.

>>769051
>>769065
bucktail with grub gulp bait is king. look up John Skinner flounder fishing. his method is unbeatable.
>>
>>769081
>grub gulp bait
My man. Those 4" Curly Tail Mullets are GOAT
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hope I actually catch something.
>>
>>769115
Diversey again?

I gotta get back up there one day
>>
>>769127

Yep. I'm the guy that picked up a new job. Enjoying my day off.
>>
File: ultralightshadfishing.png (3MB, 1899x1067px) Image search: [Google]
ultralightshadfishing.png
3MB, 1899x1067px
AHHH PROCESSING STUCK AT 95%

fuck I have to leave for work in an hour. I'll be fishing late into the evening tonight though. Got a shitload of mackerel to soak in a spot I have been eyeing over the past few days.

I will say it feels so good to have shad back in my life.
>>
>>769138
You live around there? Like Lincoln Park? That's a pretty nice area.
>>
File: bigassshadmother.png (3MB, 1903x1065px) Image search: [Google]
bigassshadmother.png
3MB, 1903x1065px
Video from yesterday:

https://youtu.be/71Ba5LchQJk

[should be HD in a few minutes it's still processing]

Shad have made their appearance, yesterday it really thickened up and we were into fish almost every few casts. in the next week or so we should be hitting them every cast.

The river herring haven't made it up to the dam just yet. They are still pushing past the last bottleneck until they are in wide slow water, allowing them to move into the dam. Cormorants have been seen eating herring about 1.5 miles down river. The birds upstream have been feasting on the elvers.

Our local osprey has also returned to her spring nesting spot, she was observed eating shad a few days ago.

Schoolies have been caught in the Saco, I have only heard of two, one from boat trolling a red tube with a worm. And one from the dam using "jesus" Both schoolies. The lilacs have started to bloom meaning any day now we should be up to our knees [literally] in striper and alewife.

Felt good to reunite with shad. It's been a while.
>>
File: Pumpkinseed.jpg (43KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
Pumpkinseed.jpg
43KB, 639x426px
>>768835
My favorite is the Pumpkinseed. Where I live you can use a small hook and tiny bit of live bait to catch them. Some have super extreme colors like some coral reef fish. I used to keep them in an aquarium.
>>
>>768984
Big bait doesn't ensure big fish
Remember; elephants eat peanuts
>>
>>768922
white bass?
>>
>>769187
ui would sa white perch, though im not 10 percent sure
>>
>>769188
>>
>>769160
d-d-dont s-say swears maine-kun how will your channel grow if u say swears
>>
>>768614
Well done, those are some big panfish for lake Tem
>>
>>769051
>>769065

1oz bucktail jig tipped with a 4" gulp minnow, with a small teaser 12" up.

Drift over bottom structure, holes, ledges ect...

No chum.

That teaser is very important. 10/10 fish came on the teaser yesterday. I used a custom one i tied, and a plain octopus hook with a gulp minnow. It presents a smaller, easier meal for them i guess.
>>
>>769226
what teaser do you use?
>>
File: 20160504_140227.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160504_140227.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>769230

This is the one i made.

Octopus hook with 4" gulp minnow is my go to.

A strip of squid works well.

Im gonna try using some inline spinners this year for the fun of it.
>>
File: 20160518_143113.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160518_143113.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
First bass on fly
It's a dink but what do you expecton a size 12 fly
>>
>>768534
Depends on your location. My #1 bluegill lake has parks all around it, so if nothing's biting in one spot, I drive a few miles to the next one. I think that's the key: movement. I've also started using Google Maps to find places to fish off shore. Find a lake and follow the roads. I'm going exploring for a bit tomorrow before work, it looks like I've found a little system of channels along a bigger river.

>tfw didn't realize that the old bread was stale and got here late
>>
>>769314
Must have been a fun fight. Nice fish
>>
WHAT IS CUTEST FISH
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>769314
I need to start busting out the fly rod and tying flies again.
>>
File: 20160511_175017.jpg (2MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_175017.jpg
2MB, 2048x1350px
>>769367
Tie me some bass flies
>>769352
He fought surprisingly little
Pic related put up much more right
>>
>>769366
Goblin shark
>>
>>769398
If you think those bigger bluegill fight good, you need to hook a couple of those Mayans.

Makes me want to get down on fly fishin one day.
>>
File: IMG_1386[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1386[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Going to post some of my gear...Going to corpus christi and south padre island for a week next week.
>>
File: IMG_1388[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1388[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>769406
Some soft baits
>>
>>769404
>>769398
Love me some big spillway panfish

Absolute tubby monsters at the wrong side of my local dam but the damn russians and black people started fishing it for eating
>>
File: IMG_1389[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1389[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>769407
Rods and reels. Custom american rodsmiths carbon rods and a 10y/o castaway rod.
>>
>>769406
Corpus christi was great when i went. I just love that salty breeze, have a blast anon.
>>
File: IMG_1391[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1391[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>769409
Recoil guides on the ARS rods. Each guide runs 5-10 dollars alone.
>>
File: IMG_1392[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1392[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>769410
yep. hopefully this damn rain will let up for 3-4 days so it'll be blue when my fiancee and I go.

Here are my bait rods. 10' Penn battalion for big baits and an ugly stik inshore for shrimp
>>
File: image.jpg (245KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245KB, 640x1136px
>tfw Bass Pro actually tries to make it worth it to shop there
I need to get down to the Miami store and buy a few more Blue Foxes. Maybe this weekend, if I don't need to buy a new car battery instead.

Fuck having bills and responsibilities. Why can't 100% of my income go to fishing stuff?
>>
>>769422
>6
does it say how liong that sale is going on? if i get my cabellas shit il drive down to the shore and go to bps
>>
>>769424
I got the coupon in an email. It is only good until the 22nd.

Dick's has been sending me some good emails lately too. Buy 3 Get 1 on Zoom, Yamamoto, and those Keitech baits (which I want to try) and 300yd Power Pro for $19.99.

I have been meaning to get to the Miami Bass Pro for awhile though so I can grab a couple more Blue Foxes. Shoulda just ordered them online like a month ago. There are some cool UV dressed ones online.
>>
how cheap can I go if I aim to catch white bass?
or should I just go for panfish if my budget is limited

this will be my first time fishing in like 8 yeahs, haven't fished since I was a scout
>>
>>769449
There's not going to be a difference in price between a light rod and reel for panfish and a medium for bass. Lures are mostly the same, a small crappie sized Rapala will cost the same as one for bass, maybe $1 more if the bass one is a lot larger.
>>
>>769457
im thinking of going ultimate poorfag and just hitting pawn shops to see what used gear they have
>>
>>769398
I'm not very good. The only pattern I know is the clouser minnow. I can tie decent dragonflies too I guess.
>>
>>769449
Realized you said white bass anyway, which is closer to panfish than largemouth or something big like stripers.

There's also a few rod and reel combos for reasonable prices posted here
>>768618
>>768619

You can get stuff for <$30, but I would reccommend spending a little more if you want to get some good use out of it.
$40-$50 and it will be much better, and if you spend $70+, you can get a rod and reel that you will be proud to use for years and years.
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 640x1136px
>>769458
For a rod and reel? Good luck.

I was looking on CL and lots of stuff at pawn shops was either old or super expensive and was priced close to retail. I mean you could lurk your local CL too and maybe find a private buyer, I found a couple good deals.

Or keep an eye on the sales.

I still say $40-$50 will get you a lot more, but if you want to get into it for dirt cheap right now, you can get away with something like pic related. They will get the job done and just upgrade in 6 months or a year if you stick with it.
>>
>>769466
ebay is probably the best bet to get a good set up. Got a 150 dollar baitcasting reel for 50 bucks off an auction.
>>
>>769472
Depends how cheap anon is trying to go though. If he only wants to spend $30 on a setup, shipping from eBay will probably be 2/3 of that.

Plus buying shit off eBay is tricky unless you are positive on the size and model. I ordered my Revo off eBay but only after checking it out in-store.
>>
File: image.jpg (234KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234KB, 640x1136px
I really wanted to get to the lake after work too. Oh well.

Some light rain is one thing, but Florida lightning ain't nothin to fuck with. Plus 60mph+ wind gusts.
>>
File: 103752656.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
103752656.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>768922
White crappie I think

>>769481
It's a shame I have to work today, perfect overcast weather in NC.
>>
>>769187
White crappie
>>
>>769466
>>769463
abu5000 on a whuppin stick for 65$
seems like a good deal to me
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>769495
That one's pretty good looking. All of the bluegill down here are like the most boring possible variety. Very little color but distinct vertical stripes. I used to love catching green sunfish since they have that bigger mouth and would hit crappie and small bass lures.

And that other fish def isn't a crappie, too long. Might be a white bass, has the stripes. Or a type of perch like other anon said but I have never gotten anything besides yellow perch.
>>
>>769498
Is that the Ambassadeur?

Are you the anon trying to go for white bass and panfish? I wouldn't reccommend an Ambassadeur for that, spinning would probably be better. Those Abu Ike combos look decent for the price.
>>
>>769507
ok
thanks pepsid
>>
what is it like fishing from a pier?
I can't imagine it's very exciting since you're literally just pushing the fish up out of the water.

I know It's the time for Walleye on Lake Erie, but how far do I have to go out to catch them?
what size spoon/crankbait
what depth?
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 600x508px
>>769514
Ask Skid about it. He has a bigger Ambassadeur like that and planned to bass fish with it but quickly gave up. Those are better with heavier tackle.

I mean you may still be able to get away with it with the right (light) line, I'm not sure. I only own/use spinning and low profile baitcasters. I don't think I have ever used one of those round casting reels.
>>
>>769519
other question, I know the rules are different state to state but, what is your opinion on needing a fishing license when fishing from a private pier when said pier is going out onto Lake Erie?

Catch and release, I don't plan on taking any fish home with me
>>
>>769458
You'd do better to cruise the yard sales or if all else fails go to Walmart, I've picked up some great rods/reels at year sales, I'm also a bow hunter/fisher and I've bought some very nice bows too.

I just remembered that the thrift store near me sometimes has rods too, do some leg work boy!
>>
>>769545
typically i think if you are on a private lake, you dont need a license to fish your own fish.

I have no clue what happens when lake Erie is in your private property.

You ought to get a license any way. Supports your state wildlife management department
>>
Just caught a schoolies praise be to the fish gods.
>>
>>769545
check your local laws first off,
Second , its easier to pay 10-35$ than pay a 90 plus dollar fine,
Third depending on your state, the money from fishing licenses may directly or indirectly help fund things like public fish stocking
>>769584
noice, i got 3 a week ago and am going to try to get be getting back out to the shore after i get m new rod in from cabellas,
>>
>>769404
Get a little 4 wt
>>
>>768558
those old white guys limit every time because they've been fishing the same lake for years. you do that and you're going to slowly pick up on what works and doesn't work.
>>
File: image1.jpg (172KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
172KB, 640x1136px
caught a huge bass today lads

Thing was so big I had to actually have it next to my head to even fit this much of her into the frame.
>>
>>769635
7-9 pounds?
stomach looks prett flat must have justfinished spawning
>>
>>769637
as far as I can tell (fwc has a formula thing, and I ran throught every measurement based on where it came up to my leg) it's between 8.5 and 10.5. Didn't have a tape measure so I couldn't get a girth on her, either way what a studddd
>>
>>769640
it looks pretty thin to me , probablya big female just finished spawning, Those formulas arent great especially if you have a very fat or very thin fish
i certainly dont think its over 10 lbs, since ive gotten a few 10 plus pounders and all of them had that type of length, but all of them were also pretty filled out and thick

still a great fish congratz,
>>
>>769643
Yeah I hear you. Thin but the pic doesn't do her justice. I'm not crazy about knowing what they weigh anyways, I just like to catch em big and this one certainly qualifies.
>>
>>769643
i hate when men are catty. its hard to watch
>>
File: redgrouper1.jpg (115KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
redgrouper1.jpg
115KB, 750x1334px
Grouper off the yak last weekend in 40 ft of water off boca, just made the 20in mark
>>
File: redgrouper2.jpg (148KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
redgrouper2.jpg
148KB, 750x1334px
pt2 out the water
>>
>>769661
was just giving my oppinion on the fish man, and my oppinion on the formulas, they work alot of the time but ivehad other times where they completely overestimate a fish by up to a pound, even more on one thin pickerel i had
>>
File: firstoftheyear.png (2MB, 1397x789px) Image search: [Google]
firstoftheyear.png
2MB, 1397x789px
first striper of the year. small but boy did it feel nice.
>>
>>769670
bigger then the 3 i got the other week
>>
>>769662
>>769665
looks tasty as hell
>>
>>769692
it was my first ever grouper and tasted great
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 640x1136px
First fish I've caught on an honest to god jig. He wasn't very big but he sure fought hard for it's size.
>>
I'm kicking myself trying to think of this word/term, but what's it called when a you lose a fish by it running with your line, and then you run out and it breaks?
>>
File: bent.png (2MB, 1915x1087px) Image search: [Google]
bent.png
2MB, 1915x1087px
>>769670
https://youtu.be/BBb5EsiqLEA

video from first striper of the year for me.
>>
>>769721
>those last 10 seconds of going full 'blair witch'
easy there maine bub. Spooking us this late
>>
>>769710
getting "spooled" is the term you're looking for I think.
>>
>>769710
>>769738
exactly, getting spooled.
avoid it by adjusting your drag mid fight.
>>
Anyone here from San Diego?
>>
So apparently the creek I'll be camping on this weekend is stocked with trout. Any point in trying with a simple spinning setup, or should I just skip it and hike to the river?
>>
>>769747
>Any point in trying with a simple spinning setup,
can't go wrong with a simple spoon or inline spinner.
>>
>>769710
>>769738
>>769741
when in gods name would this ever happen outside of deep sea fishing and the movies?

I mean I sometimes have multiple rods in the water at once with the drag on low. but I can't imagine a fish running away with 150yards of line
>>
>>769753
When I live line mackerel I've had them out 200 yards. They get hit and that's only 100 yards of initial line to hold the fish with. Can get hairy sometimes, even sketchier with a good strong tide.
>>
File: rsz_dscf6008.jpg (4MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_dscf6008.jpg
4MB, 3456x2592px
Had an interesting evening of fishing today.
>Went to a small pond in a city park
>This thing is no more than 2ft deep anywhere and gin-clear.
>A bunch of bass in the 6-10 inch range, as well as maybe four or five in the 1-2 pound range.
>I brought only my tenkara pole, a long 10lb mono mainline and 2ft of 4lb tippet.
>Fishing a trout magnet crawdad plastic on a size 10 hook.
>Targeting and catching some small bass, really fun on what is probably equivalent to a 3 or 4wt fly rod.
>Hooked a bluegill the size of a dessert plate and lost it because my tippet-to-mainline knot failed.
>Fuckme.jpg
>Some kids were trying to catch bass on soft plastics fished with a cane pole.
>Offered them a little live crawdad as bait, a minute later I had to help them land a ~2lb largemouth, they were super stoked about that.
I got some video of catches but it's kinda shitty. I'll post whatever pictures I have though. As a side note, Pepsi you should really try these trout magnet crawdads on some mayan cichlids. They are like an inch long and i think they'd be absolutely killer.
>>
>>769756
Would love some footage of tenkara. I plan on using mine tomorrow for some trout for the first time.
>>
>>769584
nice!!!! None for me on Cape today. Just got back from checking out the place shit was jumping at low tide on Monday/Tuesday middle of night. Dead high tide and nothing happening.
If I get up in 4 hours I could be back there for sunrise and low tide.
>>
>>769545
fourth: Some states can confiscate your equipment. Way more $ than cost of license.
>>
>>769757
I'll go back there sometime this week with a GoPro and get enough footage to make a fourth video.
>>
>>769768
link you channel again?
>>
it be safe to say that shrimp
>>
If fish feed mainly in the morning and sunset, why does night light fishing work so well? I understand it makes bait fish congregate in one area, but if the fish feed in morning and sunset, why do they go after the congregated baitfish if it's night?

Also what time of day is t best to fish for alligator far?
>>
>>769422
I wish I could just blow all my money on equipment.
>>
>>769766
This. Doesn't matter for your shore fishing, but MN DNR seizes boats and even the trucks you towed them with for major violations.
>>
>>768558
I just buy live bait and pray something bites.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_152346.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_152346.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
First fish of the year caught a few days ago on my 3rd trip this year. No time untill now sadly.
Sea trout. ~40-45cm. Gave a hell of a fight considering the size.
Hopefully more to come today...
>>
is fishing in the rain any good?

supposed to rain all day tomorrow
>>
>>769863
No. The fish get all wet.

Jokes aside, yes it's fine. In fact sometimes even better than in clear weather as more disturbance on the surface = less shy fish.
Varies depending on species, location, lure etc. ofc.
>>
>>769867
How about for largemouth and what should I go with in terms of lures?
>>
>>769781
I have caught a handful of largemouth at night but it is normally only an hour or two after sunset. Real late and they stop biting as much.

At one of my lakes, the spotted gar like to come close to shore at night. No clue what that means with alligator gar.
>>
>>769869
Maybe something flashy like a spinner or bright crank? No idea tbqhwy.

I have heard that in some lakes the rain helps to oxygenate the water and that makes fish more active. No idea if there is any truth behind that.
>>
>>769754
Sometimes you throw a really good cast
>>
Any suggestion on the best spincast reel? They mostly seem to be junk that breaks easily.
>>
File: IMG_2882.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2882.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>769769
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-nHChYdc_I6BKRqbGYIcQ
>>
>>769997
awesome thanks! we got a nice little network of youtubers now, it's great to see the diversity in fishing tactics, that are derived from this thread.

fucking bummed got no canoe partner today, fish are right at my doorstep would be nice to fish the estuaries from canoe instead of kayak. but it's too risky with just one person in the tidal bores.

should be on some more fish today, plan on moving to a few other spots on the river.
>>
>>769997
also just finished the rebuild of my bamboo cane rod. it's so fucking long. excited to use it, probably won't happen for a few days.
>>
>>769997
haha the little sunfish going for the weight was funny.

awesome videos man!
>>
File: fishie.jpg (143KB, 699x403px) Image search: [Google]
fishie.jpg
143KB, 699x403px
>>
https://imgur.com/gallery/xMnpH#eXh5J5m

someone just dumped this on /r/bassfishing
it's a really good resource gallery. worth checking out if you're a noob. or experienced and forgot a few things.
>>
>>769863
yes and no, if its been raining for days the water may be muddy and visability will be down making it hard for the fish to see your lures, use something bright, flashy , and something that makes alot of vibrations
When it first starts raining is one of my favorate times to fish sometimes, It disrupts the ater surface making it a bit harder for fish o see your line,

also something ive never seen mentioned,
Stocked trout in alot of places are fed on floating pellets, when it just starts raining th rain resembles their food being thrown into the water, and alot of the time will stir up the trout,
ive only ever noticed this happening 1-3 weeks after stocking

ut also rain can knock bugs and shit off of trees into the water also increasing surface feeding
my largest trout was in the middle of a giant storm , when i decided to get out because i knew no one else would e out,
>>
>>769997
That underwater cam stuff is pretty neat
>>
>>770025
>reddit
Psh... My crankbait copypasta is better.

Jk, there's some useful stuff in there but I remembet seeing that graphic for mono vs flouro vs braid and there was some less than true stuff.
>>
Miami Anon, if you see this, shoot me an email. My cellphone was gettin b& in this one area from somebody else so if we're tryin to go fishin again I don't want to not be able to post for some reason.

GetSomeMemes at gmail

It's always a ban from posting on /v/ or some random board I have never been on.
>>
File: combo breaker.jpg (61KB, 607x258px) Image search: [Google]
combo breaker.jpg
61KB, 607x258px
Just bought a quantum combo, how did I do? It is my first rod.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-19-14-24-59.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-19-14-24-59.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
Knees deep in them now. Feeling like Skinner right now.
>>
File: image.jpg (460KB, 876x1368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
460KB, 876x1368px
What sort of fish is this? Got it on a mepps spinner

I think it's a white perch
>>
want to add backing to a few rods, ive lost line on,
thinking im going to add 15 lb mono to one or both, and maybe whats left of my 50 lb braid ( both rods have 50 lb main line ) on one of them before i add 15 lb mono whats the best way to pull the line off of the reel so i can add backing without causing crazy line twist
>>
>>770127
Looks gud

There are one or two people here who hate on quantum because they made a couple shitty reels. Don't pay attention to them. 95% of Quantum's stuff will hold up for years.
>>
>>770220
STRIPPERS!!!
T
R
I
P
P
E
R
S
!
!
!
>>
>>770220
what rod is that?
also when ou have some free time teach me how to find stripers, im sure if i can find them i can catch them, other then visable bait, or birds showing where bait is what else do i need to know
>>
>>770238
St Croix Triumph Surf 9'

I look for water patterns. You can see deep trenches and holes when the wind is still m
>>
How long does sunset bite last for most fish? Not as long as morning bite right? Why is it that morning and sunset are when most fish hunt and eat?
>>
>>770244
sounds good, Il make another trip tot he shore when i get my new saltwater rod, also have to see if i can convince the old guys i fish with to go out on the boat
>>
>>770246
Because before fish tuck their little tootsies into bed for the night they like to have a little snack.
>>
>>770246
It's a cool medium between the fish being able to see your baits and the oxygen levels in the water getting higher

When the sun is the highest, the oxygen is the lowest. You can expect fish to stay near grass mats or other places where the oxygen is higher.

Of course night fishing is still a thing and you can catch fish on open water at lakes in the midday sun, so it's not like these are hard rules or anything
>>
>>770230
anyone? will spooling it onto a different reel then back cause twists?
>>
>>770257
Don't the fish also stick to vegetation during the morning when they're looking for other fish to eat? Because baitfish stick to vegetation to eat the algae and stuff, so wouldn't the predator fish stay close by? Why would they leave vegetation/cover and go to deep open water?
>>
>>770264
I did this 2x this week. Just tie it onto a different reel and reel it up, reverse the procedure when ready. It worked fine, no backlash or twisting.
>>
>>770271
thanks , do you think going from spinning to a conventional will mess anything up? i dont have any other spinning reels that will hold that much line
>>
>>770274
Nope, just keep it slightly looser when you remove it and tight when you respool and it should be fine.
>>
>>770268
No some dumb fish will school in open water and some will hunt craws and macroinsects that live on lake beds

You can catch bass and stuff on open water, you dont always have to aim at cover from your boat

idk life
>>
When I am near the lake I always see giant fish jumping in the middle of nowhere. How to I catch them? I guess they are bass or strippers.
>>
>>770228
Could be a baby white bass but the camera angle is bad

It doesnt look particularly yellow
>>
>>770268
You often get the bass and other predators right on the edge of vegetation and drop offs at dawn and dusk. My one spot with lots of nice bass, I will toss lures over this big weed bed and the bass always hit it right before it goes into the weeds.

That's why it is always good to try and cast parallel to the shore along drop offs or along weed beds.

>>770281
Unless it's morning or afternoon, they are probably carp. At least that has been the case in lots of my lakes lately. At dawn or dusk there's a much better chance that they are bass jumping.
>>
>>770298
Really carp? The ones I see are violently attacking things, do carp do that?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>770228
>on a Mepps
My nigga
>>
has anyone used a Zebco Omega Pro? Good first reel?
>>
>>770301
Could be bass then, I guess it depends on the lake. Near me, I can normally tell by where it is in the lake and how they jump.

>violent, quick splash normallty near a drop off 20yds from shore
Largemouth
>lazy yet large splash anywhere in the lake, often seeing some fins
Carp
>violent splash close to shore or near the weeds, normally as I'm walking past
Snakehead

Turtles can make a bit of a splash too. You will see their noses poking out of the water and when they take off, they can make a bit of a disturbance.

Schools of baitfish getting chased by a predator make a commotion sometimes too.
>>
>>770313
>>violent, quick splash normallty near a drop off 20yds from shore
This definitely sounds like it. We have bass and stripers here in the south.
>>
>>770316
Freshwater?

Because it depends on the time of day and year as well. I only really see the largemouth jumping in the early morning or at dusk. And now that the water is warmer, I don't see them nearly as much even in the afternoon.

But sometimes it could even just be bluegill. If there is no wind and the water is real calm, bluegill could make quite a splash. I see them on those humid afternoons after a rainstorm when the bugs are out in full force.
>>
man i ve otta convince the old guys i fish with to go out on the boat, try to get some big strippers, or blues and maybed hit the fluke
>>
>>770302
I notice a lot of people going for that black fury color

Ill show you the mepps i got

All #3s. pretty versatile and they fit snugly in my foamboxes
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>770331
>>
>>769988
The best spincast reel is the one that was never made and The materials were used to make an actual spinning reel
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>770331
Black Furies are supposed to be good for night time or very murky water. The blade has a slightly different curve to it where it makes more vibration and runs a bit deeper. Plus the black blade with the bright spots will stand out quite a bit with a dark or murky background.
>>
>>770332
i like those little hair jigs/bucktails, home made?
>>
File: custom.jpg (11KB, 139x244px) Image search: [Google]
custom.jpg
11KB, 139x244px
>>770332
>>
>>770332
PLEASE SOMEONE
how in gods name to you attach loopless lures to a line.

I just thought at best you knot it around the nubby bit, but they just keep falling off
>>
>>770332
That one on the bottom, the shiny firetiger, I have been meaning to grab one of those from Bass Pro. That is a newer color that came out right around Christmas.
>>
>>770228
Yeah white perch
>>
>>770339
What lure are you talking about? Which lure doesn't have somewhere to tie the line?
>>
>>770339
>>770342
post pics, but most likely a snell know
>>
>>770337
Nope punisher 1/16th oz

I've been meaning to get materials to make my own.

i went to michaels looking for craft fur, but they only had a dingy brown color. Im just thinking, what fish is gonna think that's a crayfish or a big bug, it just looks like grass
>>
>>770339
Take a picture of what you're on about
>>
File: 1463688358891.jpg (152KB, 796x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1463688358891.jpg
152KB, 796x1032px
>>770332
joining-in because i'm bored
>>
File: streamers-mickeyfinn.jpg (5KB, 398x250px) Image search: [Google]
streamers-mickeyfinn.jpg
5KB, 398x250px
>>770345
Before you say "it won't work" consider this fly is successful
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Finally stopped raining but still cloudy. I really want to get to the lake but I just got done sweating (working) for 10hrs and have to be up around 3:30am tomorrow. If I go out there and end up catching stuff, I know I won't be home til 9pm and won't go to bed until close to midnight.

The choices...

Maybe I should just call out of work for tomorrow right now.
>>
File: 20160519_161753.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160519_161753.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>770346
It looks like theres plastic melted over the hole but I cant pierce it
>>
>>770357
use a pair of nail clippers to cut around the ase of the nib,
>>
>>770357
You have to punch the hole out. use a needle, hook, knife, anything. It is just painted over.
>>
>>770357
Oh bad paint job, pierce the eye with another hook
>>
>>770357
You just gotta get through the paint. I always use the tip of a pocket knife and chip the paint off the whole loop or take another hook and poke through.
>>
>>770358
>>770359
>>770360
>>770361
>tfw all this trolling
No, keep trying to tye knots around it
>>
It's a good thing my freezer is still stocked with last year's bluegill harvest, or I'd be hungry. I went back to the place I caught the two pike, only to get a small bass. Before heading there, I went to what looked like on Google maps was a large park, which turned out to be mostly private. Some people were fishing the river for what I assume would be walleye and whitebass, but I didn't have any bait for those.

>your image contains an embedded file
Bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 540x540px
>>770355
But the color is so vibrant

I would be ok with like white or black
But this stuff looks like vegetation in person
>>
>>770357
What I do is scrape the sides of the flat bits then punch out the center with a hook

Don't listen to kvd
>>
>>770366
Lure color is an interesting topic. Look at Zoom's watermelon color. Doesn't stand out at all but is a favorite of many people. Chartruese doesn't look like any North American bait but does wonders. And I use Mepps with a brown skirt like that all the time and it is one of my best lures.
>>
File: bugger.jpg (38KB, 343x229px) Image search: [Google]
bugger.jpg
38KB, 343x229px
>>770366
So do these bastards
>>
In the past hour it's been a fish every cast.

I lost count after 30. Wish I had a wifi AP out in my backyard. Id stream this shit.
>>
>>770386
taking some videos i hope
>>
>>770386
Are you just fishing from that stream in your backyard? Getting strippers from there?
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 736x552px
>>770379
>>770373
Ok ill do it. If im successful, in a year ill become a tripfag and share my bucktail jig making knowledge
>>
King Stupid moment...
fishing for stripers, toss soft shad, get hit, no hook set, wtf?, rinse, lather repeat over & over, these bitches are hitting the shad eerything throw but spitting it out too fast.

look at soft shad,....
hook still wrapped in protective sleeve

ME= bucking fonehead.
>>
>>770386
Dig a pond and create a population of landlocked stripers.
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 500x500px
>>770393
It's not a matter of knowledge or success, just an inflated ego and need for attention that our parents never gave us.

Or the fact that it makes conversations easier and we don't give a shit if it makes some random basement dweller salty. Just means more Cheetos dust in his keyboard.
>>
>>770220
awesomeness ain't it!
>>770238
>find stripers
coastal rivers where there is bait. Right now they're everywhere.when water heats up the ones that stick around CT, RI, Cape Cod, Mass will hide out in holes.
Think of the tide and what is does to little fish
Tide goes out and starts sucking little fish from estuaries. Stripers hang out and lurk waiting on baitfish.
Nighttime, low tide, bait fish hit shoreline. big ass stripers will cruise the edge o the water slurping them up. It's an amazing sound hearing the bait flipping and jumping and then that "slurp"
>>
>>770402
I did that a couple months ago.
Luckily I realized I left the little tube on there before I got any bites. Probably casted 10 times before I noticed.
>>
>>770407
I'd rather be a noteworthy tripfag

Im just a big clown if i cant swim and trip in a swimming general

talking to people is nice, but i just dont want to be THAT guy. I think all the trips we have right now are all pretty decent anglers and add something to the table.

Rather wait till i feel i can contribute something that we dont already have or we do a meet up and we need to identify each other
>>
>>770417
t-thanks anon kun
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>770417
You'll be fine. I don't know what I'm talking about half the time and I trip all over /o/ and in the truckerfag threads even though I'm not a real trucker.

And I just leave the trip on in other threads because I'm too lazy to delete it and type it back in all the time and it's funny how butthurt people get.
>>
File: 20160519_113938.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160519_113938.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Seen this at one of my plants I visited today.
>>
>>770431
Oh god someone help that old man
>>
>>770431
Damn I need to find a hole with some blue cats like that.

Big lake? I wonder how deep they're going for fish like that.
>>
>>770389
Just filled 2 32gb cards. Have an 8gig left then I'll run back, dump footage and head back out.

EVERY
FUCKING
CAST

and yeah, from the comfort of my own backyard.

Just saw a seagull with herring. Gonna sabiki for a bit.
>>
>>770435
Tenn. River at one of the dams.
>>
>>770439
Fug anon im moving to tennessee

Monster catfish here i come
>>
>>770279
Even if the open water is 60ft deep?
>>
Going out tomorrow morning. Hope I can catch something big, I've only caught small fish and I don't know what it's like to struggle reeling in a fish.
Anyone care to share some tips on catching a big fish? Have any good stories about you fighting to bring one in?
>>
>>770466
You using lures or live bait?

If you are going live, you should grab some shiners and huck em out over a dropoff.

I still need to catch monster snek at my one lake that ran out all that line on me a few weeks back. I want to get it on 20# at least and just crank the drag up just enough to keep from getting wrapped up.
>>
>>770467
think tomorrow if the weather isnt shitty im going to go catch some shiners then go to one or a few ponds, and try to get a big bass or pickerel
the only issue im habing is i dont have any small (2-3 gallon) buckets with lids, and i dont want to have to carry a 5 gallon bucket just for a few shiners since the ponds im considering are all a short hike from a parking lot

also does anyone else here have an excess of rods and reels they dont use, i have at least a dozen reels and 8 plus rods ive accumulated over the years, and no longer use, Tomorrow im going to clean some up and pair things up so next tagsale i may be able to sell some shit,
>>
File: 1004851067.jpg (48KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1004851067.jpg
48KB, 680x510px
>>770467
Using live, I'll try to get some shiners, I've mainly been using night crawlers. Also i have some pic related, a friend usually has luck catching decent sized bass with these.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>770478
I think you'll have much better luck with minnows or shiners if you really want to get a big guy. I think this weekend I'm gonna grab some shiners for the first time in forever.

If you are doing nightcrawlers, you can always toss them way out on the bottom with no bobber. You may get a catfish. I've even had bass pick up nightcrawlers from the bottom. Either way you gotta get the worms far enough out where little shit won't go for them.

And those curly tail grubs you posted can be good, there are a bunch of ways to use them. I like doing 3" grubs on an underspin but that leads to more crappie and stuff.
>>
>>770480
all of my large bass have been on smaller bass actualy, though shiners work well too i never fish with them
>>
>>770481
You keep telling me to do the small bass but I just can't bring myself to do it.
>>
File: 1427290581708.jpg (146KB, 671x765px) Image search: [Google]
1427290581708.jpg
146KB, 671x765px
Can you get away with undersized lures to land big fish?
I really don't see the point of owning a 8" spoon, but I really would enjoy the chance to catch something impressive.

if I'm going for cats bass, and walleye, is there really any reason to have a special sized lure?
>>
>>770482
ive never actualy intended to do it, first time it happened i was young as fuck, and a little bass swallowed the hook, While i was waiting for my father to get off the phone to help me unhook it a larger bass inhaled the little one,
alot of my other large bass have een when im reeling in a small bass that i just hooked and then suddenly they hammer it
though all of my fish over 5 lbs haved come from one pond where they seem to have a cannibalistic tendency

the reason i dont fish with shiners often is because i feel bad
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>770483
This bass was on a 1/8oz Rooster Tail. You can see it in the pic, tiny compared to the fish.

Only problem is the small hooks don't hold in the big fish nearly as well. I'm amazed that bass didn't shake the tiny treble out.
>>
>>770316
How clear is the water? Bass don't tend to jump as much when it's stained. The carp where I am jump like crazy.
>>
>>770485
that's still within a "reasonable" size, not to knock either of your catches, I just mean if I hope for a spectacular 10+lbs fish, do I need a large lure
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>770484
How big were the bass? I get a lot of ~10" fish, but don't hit many tiny, tiny ones.

>>770486
I'll have to keep an eye out and see if it trends the same here. Either way I don't see bass jump nearly as much since it got warmer.
>>
>>770494
3-5 inches , alot of time if fishing slows down i throw on a small lure and catch little guys
>>
>>770493
>1/8oz Rooster Tail
>5lb largemouth
Ehh, that is beyond tiny for a fish like that. Especially because of the shape of their mouths, if you don't get a good hook it's easy for them to shake or rip them out.

Now if you think of a big carp with the small mouth, even a smaller hook will normally catch them in a solid spot. Same with a catfish assuming you don't just pull the tiny hook through it's mouth without hooking anything. Their mouths are pretty solid with lots of good places to hook.

It's also worth mentioning that a big bass will probably hit a bigger meal before going for tiny baitfish. It would rather go for the bluegill or baby bass going after the 1" bait fish.

Fish in an area with largemouth with a small Rapala and large one. You will lose a lot more fish on the small one because the little treble hooks don't hold onto the fish nearly as well.
>>
>>770502
>5lb bass

lets not kid outsides here, that's 3, MAYBE 4 senpai
>>
>>770506
id say thats close to 4 its got quite a fat stomach
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>770506
Something like this is closer to 4lbs

That other bass was quite a bit bigger plus dat gut. That's my size 13 foot in the pic.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>770506
>>770511
Also remember, I don't have manlet hands

>~3lb'er
>>
File: PMG08_BigBaitsA.jpg (23KB, 528x321px) Image search: [Google]
PMG08_BigBaitsA.jpg
23KB, 528x321px
>>770483

Switching to giant baits is one of the best things I've done to catch bigger fish. StrikeKing 10XD, Musky Double Cowgirl, Mega-D Pounders, Matzuo Kinchou minnows, Huddlestons, etc. Even some saltwater rigs. I troll the biggest baits I can find and it just keeps producing big fish for me.
>>
Going /out/ for four days in Voyageurs Nat'l Park starting tomorrow. Mostly walleye fishing but I'd love to catch a trophy northern pike just once.

Going to go to Dick's in a little bit to impulse buy some more tackle. Are their prices decent?
>>
>>770511
>Something like this is closer to 4lbs

That fish is nowhere near 4 lbs. Maybe 2 lb at most.
>>
>>770511
>>770518
desu i think pepsi may be slightly overestimating and anon may be underestimaing

if i had to weigh the fish i would say
>>770513
2-2.5
>>770511
3-3.5
>>770485
4-5
>>
>>770518
Ok, you're either retarded or trolling

Anyway, new thread!
>>770520
>>
File: 1402468516339.jpg (95KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1402468516339.jpg
95KB, 447x444px
>>769997
>>770494
>>769314
>>769367

>"microfishing"
>3" bass fingerlings
>pics of fish literally hanging on the line w/out support

Guys what the actual fuck is this shit? Is everyone in this thread a poorfag neckbearded bank fisherman?

nvm don't even fucking answer that. This is thread is an embarrassment.
>>
>>770467
So then I've officially come to the conclusion that kvd and Pepsi are the same fag
>>
>>770536
>Is everyone in this thread a poorfag neckbearded bank fisherman?

It's /out/, everyone here is poor.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.