[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/, first time here figured this would be the best place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: Amonite_Cropped.jpg (215KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Amonite_Cropped.jpg
215KB, 1024x768px
Sup /out/, first time here figured this would be the best place to ask about this. Im going camping soon on my friends farm and would love to find a fossil. I say this because he was out walking by the river and found a shell embeded in a rock simalar to this pic. Im not expexting to find a dinosaur anytime soon but if anyone has experience finding them or where to look then advice would be appreciated. Post stories/pics of what youve found too
>>
>>767910
where do you live?
>>
Austraila, mid north coast. Tge farm is about an hour away from the coast on a straight line, hour and a half while driving, in the middle of bum fuck nowhere. There is abo cave paintings about 20 minutes motorbike ride from where we camp too which is kinda neat
>>
File: DSCN1851.jpg (5MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1851.jpg
5MB, 4608x3456px
I live in Dorset, UK and regularly go to Golden Cap (Pic) on the Jurassic coastline.
Its a little walk to get there but if you know where to look, you can go home with bags full of fossils and bones.
>>
File: IMG_20160517_212200.jpg (799KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_212200.jpg
799KB, 3264x2448px
After high tide, its all just waiting there on the beach. Never used a hammer or chisel.
>>
>>768479
Sup, I go to Whitby area annually which is another great coastline for fossils. Vast majority are ammonites etc, but a few years back we discovered a riverbed type strata with fossil plants such as ferns & cycads etc. Really cool but pretty fragile. Also easy to spot fossil wood here and there.
Never found any larger vertebrates though, maybe one day...
I'd love to get to the Dorset coast!
>>
>scour the cliffs for hours
>split rocks, sift shale
>a few shitty fragments here and there
>clueless mother and kids comes up to us
>'you look like you know these things, is this one good?'
>mfw she plucked a picture perfect giftshop quality big fat ammonite right off the ground 200yds ahead of us
fucking casuals
>>
>>768490
what are those spike ones?
>>
>>767910
cool example! I used to live in southern Illinois and could go out and simply find fossils of invertebrates. Sadly I now live in Wisconsin which has been scraped clean by successive waves of glaciers in the recent geological past.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/fossil-sites-of-australia

When I was younger the best places to find fossils were on cuts of road beds going through hills and old quarries. There is a ton of material on the internet about likely places and a good place to start is your local natural history museum. If you live in a more isolated place I'm sure there is still a group of local rock hounds. Ask around! and good luck!
>>
>>767910
An old professor I know once found a dinosaur fossil, but thought he was mistaken and didn't want to bother the local university (because of the egg incident). Saw in the paper a few weeks later that it was one of the most complete of that species ever found.

He's got an amazing collection though, including both halves of a huge amonite that he uses as doorstops.
>>
>>768651
Belemnites
>>
>>768491
Only been to the beaches around Dorset but I really want to explore coastlines around the country. After all these years, im still to find an Ammonite larger than my finger tip and not broken.
>>
File: DSC_0825.jpg (548KB, 1624x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0825.jpg
548KB, 1624x1080px
I lived on Svalbard for a while and you couldn't walk outside your door without finding a fossil. The fact that it used to be located in the tropics combined with the massive glacial activity means that fossils just get churned out. Unfortunately, I only ever found fossils of leave and ferns, nothing super rad. There were some cooler fossils in the museum, though.
As I kid I used to go on holiday to my grandparent's house on the Isle of Wight. The beaches there had a lot of fossils, as with anywhere on the south coast really.
>>
>>769180
>I lived on Svalbard for a while
Why? For how long?
>>
File: DSC_1121.jpg (263KB, 1624x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1121.jpg
263KB, 1624x1080px
>>769202
4 months to study arctic geophysics.
>>
File: rock 007.jpg (510KB, 1000x776px) Image search: [Google]
rock 007.jpg
510KB, 1000x776px
This might be a good place to get an answer. Is pic related a fossil and if it is what kind? Found in central Florida.
>>
any oregonians that can give me tips?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.