[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoors Essentials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Caving1.jpg (290KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Caving1.jpg
290KB, 1280x960px
Hey /out/,

Me and my friends are going on a working holiday to Scotland next month and I'm gonna be hiking, camping, and maybe doing a little caving for the first time in my life. I'm really trying to budget here and don't want to fork out for anything I don't need.

Since experience isn't on my side I was hoping you guys could tell me from experience what the absolute essentials are for hiking and caving and camping are and what I could do without to save money.
>>
>>767316
What do you have by now? Shoes, clothing, a tent, a stove, a harness, what?
>>
>>767316
Seconding this request.
>>
>>767320
Boots, coat, knife, paracord, hiking pack, hot flask, cold flask, 2 pairs of hiking socks, knife sharpener, small torch, lightweight military pack.
>>
Dildos
>>
>>767327
Get a couple of liner socks, get cheap work gloves, a head lamp, a cup, a spoon, a pot to boil water, a tarp (multipurpose), a hat for rain/sun and a warm one.
>>
File: Caving Is Fun.jpg (2MB, 3136x2184px) Image search: [Google]
Caving Is Fun.jpg
2MB, 3136x2184px
>>767316
You can't have enough light. Get LED-based lights; get both low power and high power versions. First Aid kits are nice to have too.
>>
What'd be a good wind/rain proof jacket to wear?
Preferably breathable
>>
>>767457
>Preferably breathable
There's not such a thing unless you spend expedition money
>>
>>767316
Caving? 3 lights, helmet, clothes you don't mind getting torn and really dirty, boots with good ankle support, a change of clothes for when you get out of the cave that you can leave in your car, a trash bag to store dirty clothes/boots, a cave pack, good sized water bottles (1 liter), one for food, one for water, one for poop/pee if you can't hold it.

I think the caves in Scotland are kinda cold, so some wool socks and undergarments would do you well.
>>
>>767530
A few things I forgot to add
>Lights
Headlamps preferably with LED lights and backup batteries. You could get by with one flashlight and duct tape/zip tie it to your helmet.

Also, bring a first aid kit and a garbage bag inside the cave. If someone gets hurt and they have to be left in there while someone goes to get help, putting them in a trash bag can help stave off dieing from exposure. I've known a few cavers who have had to resort to it and it saved their life.

Also make sure someone knows you're in the cave. Getting hurt in one is fucking serious, I cannot stress that enough.

Oh and have fun
>>
>>767316
>>767457

Scot /out/ist here,

Buy a cheap head bug net, expect a lot of midgies. Sunrise and sunset can be brutal, so I always have mine in my pocket and throw it over a brimmed hat to keep it off my face.

I'd also recommend a cheap pair of gaiters as deer ticks are a real problem too.

As for rain jacket, its Summer so it'll rain a lot of days but typically not extended, so I'd say go for a poncho for /out/ uses unless you plan to do any alpine stuff.

Theres plenty of water so maybe a pack of Cl tablets could come in handy too.

Where about are you headed?
>>
>>767316

How about you actually do some research yourself, faggot?

Present options and ask for opinions, don't just come here to be spoonfed.
>>
Is Northface any good or are they just a meme?
>>
>>768371

What product in particular? Not just 'sleeping bags' but name the model.

You can't just judge every single fucking thing they make in one statement. Different companies are good / bad at making different things.
>>
>>768733
The millerton
I figured it looked like a nice rain jacket
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.