[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you harvest standing deadwood in the US? I saw an episode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Can you harvest standing deadwood in the US?

I saw an episode where Ray Mears chops down a standing deadwood tree in Northern Scandinavia and turns them into skis. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and have no clue about logging regulations and what not, but there are some beautiful deadwood trees out here, some standing, some fallen but so thick that the core wood is still good.

Are there certain things that you can freely harvest in limited quantities without permits or something similar and what's the deal with wood?
>>
>>763821
Also in the PNW wondering what I can and cannot hit with my axe
>>
You should be good as long as its your land or have the owners permission. Maybe unless you are in a suburb area or something.
>>
>>763838
What about deadwood thats on state or federal land, fallen and not fallen? How will I ever collect sticks to burn while camping?
>>
>>763855
Op here. This is more of the situation I was wondering about. So far only thing I could find is a limited firewood collection permit for state trust lands.
>>
>>763821
Been in PNW my whole life. I've never run into an issue unless you're obviously harvesting it for firewood and have a trailer, chainsaw, etc. You can get firewood permits for really cheap if you're that concerned about it. If you're out in the woods I can't imagine running into any issues. To be honest with you, I've never run into an official off-trail, ever, and I'm out all the time. That being said, a guy just got busted down in southern oregon for taking hardwood from a national forest and using it to make stuff and sell it. I think for personal use it would be really unlikely you'd ever get in trouble.

Are you looking to cut down a dead tree and make a pair of skis or are you going to build a cabin?
>>
I'd wait till fall/winter to do it. Bats use those trees in the spring/summer as roosts and nurseries.
>>
>>763902
Small stuff. Not skis specifically but like maybe basic shelving.
>>
>>763973
I do NOT want my tax dollars going to some shitlord who thinks he's the next jeppetto carving a masterpiece when he's really just cutting trees on public land to save a few bucks. Fuck this guy I hope he's arrested.
>>
>>764183
This
Fuck OP
This bushcraft fad needs to die
>>
>>764183
>tax dollars
How? No honestly, how are your tax dollars "going" to OP cutting down a dead tree?

This "fuck you for using the forest" fad needs to die.
>>
>>763821
Most places in the US. allow you to cut trees with a saw/axe. but no power tools in open public lands/state forest/national parks. unless stated otherwise. they don't want people coming in with chainsaws and shit, so that method is banned.

I believe the only thing that's power tool approved, are those undergrowth choppers, like weed whackers, with small tablesaw blades instead of the string...

US government/State Governments think that humans can't do enough damage to a forest with handtools only, apparently neither knows dick about history.. but it works in our benefit.

>>764492
There's a point where bushcraft, turns into wood working.

Making anything more then a stick bow + arrow. = wood working.

making spoons or other carving related stuff = wood working

I agree, the bushcraft meme needs to die. but not in the sense you're describing..

Education and safety are top priority for anyone that should be looking at going into the forest. know how to make a fire is great, but not bushcraft. making a fire and knowing how to control/maintain your fire, and fire site, now that's bushcraft..

So many young pups make themselves a nice little fire, in the middle of a fucking forest. and are like "YEAH NOW LET ME SPEND THE NEXT 2 HOURS HUNTING FOR A PIECE OF WOOD TO MAKE MY SNARETRAP!" and just leaving the fire to do what ever the fuck it wants. this is how forest fires get started ALL the time where I live, its always some dumb old drunk people. or some really young kids who watched a youtube video and thought they where set..

Ask any local fire department. you should not leave an area that had a campfire, until the ground is no longer warm.

b-buutt noooo. I'M CRAVECANNABERY AND IM HERE TO SHILL YOU THIS EXTRA LARGE FIRE STEEL, BUT ILL ALSO TEACH YOU HOW TO START AS MANY FOREST FIRES AS POSSIBLE BEFORE YOU CLICK THAT LINK TO BUY IT! REMEMBER ONLY YOU CAN START FOREST FIRES!!"
>>
>>763821
It's up to the supervisors discretion of the park land for most the US.

It varies from not being able to take anything at all, even deadfall to a free for all (no commercial use).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.