[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS Maps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: GARMIN.jpg (174KB, 1200x932px) Image search: [Google]
GARMIN.jpg
174KB, 1200x932px
Looking for maps I can install on my Garmin GPS that would allow for turn by turn routing of hiking trails in the Rockies. Does such a thing exist? Haven't found it yet, and not about to shell out stupid amounts of money to buy the 24k maps from Garmin.
>>
https://openmtbmap.org
>>
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all
>>
http://sectionhiker.com/free-garmin-gps-maps/
>>
any good recommendation for a handheld gps for hiking ?
thinking of picking up a eXplorist 500 on kijiji for 25 maplebuxs
>>
>>763729
Anything Garmin. The eTrex is a good "economy" handheld.
>>
>>763749
what would you recommend for aboot one hundee
>>
>>763756
amazon.ca Garmin-eTrex-Worldwide-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B00542NV32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463088089&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+etrex
>>
File: topo map.jpg (177KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
topo map.jpg
177KB, 1300x866px
>>763578
honestly, why dont you use a map and compass?
Orienteering is not that hard. it's actually pretty fun.
$100 will get you a good compass and at least a couple of decent topo maps of your area
>>
>>764362
Maybe he is taking a course. They ask you to bring a GPS.
>>
>>763578
bump for proper use of tech
>>
>>764362
OP here, always have a map and compass in my pack. The GPS routing thing isn't that important to me as I normally am bushwacking scouting for possible hunting spots. I carry the GPS so I can save my tracks into Basecamp for future reference so I don't keep chasing my own tail in the hills. Can open Basecamp, find some land I haven't trod upon yet, set a few waypoints and off I go.

I also keep track of things on the map, but it isn't as... permanent... a record as the GPS tracklogs.
>>
>>764434
You don't need a gps for that. Use a phone. A gps will not give you more precission than a couple meters, and if.
>>
>>764434
Gotcha. That makes sense. Sounds like you're taking good advantage of the most common available tools & methods then.
One thing that helps me in orienteering with map & compass is being able to know my elevation (gps can be good at giving you your elevations, or a pocket altimeter.).
This obviously can help you track your positions and routes. Basically brings your orienteering into a 3d spatial reference system.
>>
>>764665
>This obviously can help you track your positions and routes.
(when using a good topo map, i mean)
>>
File: DSC04159_-L.jpg (104KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04159_-L.jpg
104KB, 800x534px
>>763604
>gpsfiledepot
Yup, great place to start

>>763729
Personally I'd go Garmin... they're the most popular for a reason. Map and support network is much bigger for those than any other brand.
Unless there's a specific feature you want from another manufacturer (InReach/Delorme comes to mind), I'd just go Garmin.

>>763749
>eTrex
Excellent starter receiver. Also, (my favorite, and what I currently use when I ride), the 60/76 series. Cx or CSx, wouldn't bother with anything else.

>>764362
I carry both. Most of the time I want to answer "Where am I relative to ___ waypoint/trail/route/whatever?", and the GPS is a lot more efficient at that.
Map's in my fieldbook, compass on my keychain.

>>764444
GPS is also a lot tougher design, more and better mounting options than a phone, and mine uses readily available AA batteries. It'll also run right off my snowmobile or motorcycle's power, no adapters needed.
>>
>>764849
>the 60/76 series. Cx or CSx
I still have a 76 series, but have transitioned to the touchscreens. Not that they are better, but for my usage I like the larger screen. Have considered going back to a 64st for my "leave in the backpack" GPS. It sure is nice having GLONASS connectivity compared to the 60/76 series.
>>
>>764849
>Most of the time I want to answer "Where am I relative to ___ waypoint/trail/route/whatever?", and the GPS is a lot more efficient at that.
>GPS is a lot more efficient at that.

This is true in most case nowadays. but depending on your accuracy requirements, GPS may only be "more efficient' as far as being "faster" and "easier" at certain tasks in certain locations and conditions.

Also relative to the question of "Where am I relative to ___ waypoint/trail/route/whatever?"

I always use a good topo map and a good compass. I am constantly plotting, planning & tracking my route and position based upon the map, the compass and the actual topography around me.

So I always know where I am on the ground and on the map. Answering your question is as simple as placing my compass on the map to get the bearing between my current position and the POI (point of interest) and scaling the distance.
Boom! takes like 60 seconds.

90% of the time this is good enough to get me within sight, sound or smell of whatever it is I am looking for.
>>
>>763578
You can download Open Street Maps (or Open Cycle Maps) into BaseCamp.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.