[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping with Alcohol (especially in Kentucky)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

I want to do a primitive camping trip with my buddies. There's this nice area in Daniel Boone National Park called Red River Gorge with a lot of cliffs and arches that allows you to camp just about anywhere in the area that seems ideal.

The catch, however, is their alcohol policy. While I expect just about any place we go to officially ban alcohol, I've seen on various forums online that the cops in that area tend to harass campers and enforce the law, fining people for simply sipping on a beer around the fire. That said, all of these horror stories seem to take place around 2008-2009.

So my question is: does anyone have any experience particularly in Red River Gorge with alcohol, and in general with dispersed camping and alcohol use? We have no intention of getting rowdy. Nobody in my group is that type of drunk anyway. I just can't imagine going for a weekend trip with my college buddies and not having some beers.

Any horror stories of getting caught?
>>
>>762786
Not in Kentucky, but some friends and I go "jello shot camping" every year. One year we didn't notice that the campground we went to had a no alcohol policy.

Cut to us unloading tons of jello shots out of the car and the camp hostess coming up.

"gee, you guys sure must love jello."
"Uh, yeah, Its pretty great."
"well, enjoy your stay!"

We also drank liquor, but put away the bottles in a camp box after pouring. Never had any issues. I honestly don't understand why alcohol is banned anywhere but religious camps or whatever. It does nothing that a properly enforced noise ordinance can't do.
>>
>>762896
Yeah, that's what camping up here in Ohio is like. The policy is more of an excuse to kick rowdy people out of the campground than anything else. It just sounds like this one particular area has had some issues in the past of people actively and unnecessarily enforcing it and police being dicks about it.

I feel like we should be alright though, as long as we keep it discrete.
>>
>>762786
You can get absolutely trashed off of your ass in Red River Gorge, also have lived in Kentucky for 30 years and I specifically do primitive camping and love to bring booze and other drugs. Never once encounted law enforcement. Kentucky is a safe haven for this exact style of outdoor fun. Dont be worried at all.
>>
>>762931
Thanks, anon. That's the kind of stuff I would expect in Kentucky given my experience in the state (lots of family in Berea), but you never know.
>>
>>762786
Fellow eastern ky dude here. Been to the gorge several times. Always drunk bourbon. Dont fall off a cliff. I get drunk and ride atvs every weekend innawoods year around for the last decade so I'm a seasoned veteran when it comes to being wild in the wilderness.
>>
>>762931
sounds suspricious, almost like you're trying to sabotage anon
>>
>>762974
No man. Ask any true Kentuckian, it feels like theres no laws in the state sometimes. Remember, we run that there moonshine.
>>
>>762969
I assume the drinking will be limited to night around the campfire and not hiking on the cliffs.
>>
>>762989
Not that anon but my friends and I have a hobby of drinking and driving. We do this daily, any time of the day. Kentucky has no laws man. Some Kentuckians don't know what they can get away with but you'll come across a much higher than average amount of free men. Yes, I know, I am a horrible human. Kentucky doesn't mind my character. In our forests it is very rare to see any sort of park ranger.
>>
>>763020
Why do you drink and drive, anon?
>>
>>763066
We started with smoking blunts while driving and eventually we started having road beers, now we smoke blunts and chug whiskey on country roads. It is really just how we hang out, no real reason to it.
>>
>>763076
>It is really just how we hang out
So why not smoke blunts and chug whiskey by the river or in someone's house?
>>
>>763082
We do that too. We basically spend all day achieving our intoxication.
>>
OP here with a question for the anons who know the area:

Can you literally camp anywhere? I know other parks have dispersed camping that still relies on a relatively set campsites, but this one seems to let you do it wherever you like, from what I can see online. Like, can I go down a trail, turn into the brush, and walk half a mile and pitch a tent?
>>
Western Kentuckian here. I was at the gorge 2 weeks ago drunk off my ass on auxier ridge. No body cares senpai
>>
>>763260
>>763360 again here.

Yes you can camp anywhere
>>
holy hell, do america really have rules like this? seriously? rules for when and how much you can drink in the woods? cops in the woods? what the hell
>>
>>762989
We always passed a few flask around the fire at camp when backpacking. Back home on the strip jobs innawoods we ride our atvs a few miles, stop and have a beer, and then repeat. Everyone you run into is doing the same exact thing. Eventually you build a fire and cook some food, which gets you lined out. Eastern ky is legitimately a 3rd world country. Every other house is a drug dealer, cops never come here, and when you're innawoods anything can happen. Been shot at a few times before, seen people having sex, people fighting, picked up partying city girls and go skinny dipping, shoot sniper rifles 1,000 yards, have live music, keg parties, anything is a possibility innawoods in eky lol
>>
Was there last weekend at one of the primitive sites off Indian Creek. Smoked weed and drank the whole time. As long as you're not some loud, boorish Ohio type you should be alright.
>>
>>763557
Ohio and Indiana are just the worst. They spend way too damn much time in Kentucky too. Find your own fun. Fuck.
>>
>>763564
Rude. Southern Ohio and Indiana have nothing fun to do outdoors. You guys are closer than the great lakes are.
>>
Holy shit, lots of kentuckians in this thread

>>763360
Where you at pham?
>>
>>763640
What's the best part of KY?
>>
File: 067981089127-7.jpg (135KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
067981089127-7.jpg
135KB, 1920x1920px
>>763837
Low hanging fruit.
>>
>>763837
I sure love Annville. Very small town but every person that drives past you will ask if you need a ride.
>>
>>763837
East KY is pretty great for /out/ stuff. I grew up in Pike County and spent a lot of my childhood in the woods. Most land around that area is owned by coal companies and open for use by the public.
>>
>>763852
That's pretty neat.
>>
Central ky fag here. Ask me anything about the Daniel boone forest
>>
>>762931
Just don't wander around after dark.
>>
>>763531
This guy isn't wrong.
>>
>>763888

On topic: the gorge is a bit populated. Car campers, trash and shit on the ground is common. A lot of people get drunk while /out/ in ky and in the more populated areas cops see at easy quota fillers. If you do go to the gorge prepare to walk in about a mile to avoid the soccer moms, kids and cops. You could go a bit south to the Cumberland area. Moonbow is cool and beerock connects with the major sheltowee trace heads. Monticello also has some cool places.
>>
>>763890
I did a lot of that honestly, but yes in the gorge this is very dangerous.
>>
Once I was hiking around Pine Mountain and found an epic cave and camped a few nights there, went like 60 feet back and had tons of room. I was half expecting some creature to be in it.
>>
>>763903
We're planning on going deep in the forest and getting nice and secluded. Do the cops hike for quotas?
>>
>>763913
No you are completely going to be fine. Be careful hiking deep off trail in the gorge. Could take you a week to hike out if you get lost.
>>
File: stelprdb5276793-page-001.jpg (1MB, 2700x2400px) Image search: [Google]
stelprdb5276793-page-001.jpg
1MB, 2700x2400px
>>763921
We have a gps. But yeah, any general area you think would be best? Would like to be at most a quarter-mile hike from water.
>>
>>763913
>>763921
Should be fine. Make sure you explore your area. It is still ky, sink holes and cliffs are common. Headlamps and with extra battery's. don't go out at night if you don't have to. Rock piles are snek habitats
>>
>>763020
Is this you?

>>>760424
>>
>>763931
I like hitting the clifty wilderness myself
>>
>>763929
I find it best to explore. I prefer the northern area. South tends to be more populated. A few caves, water falls and cliffs I know about but couldn't explain how to get to them.
>>
>>763940
:^) god bless
>>
>>763943
That's what I was thinking considering the parking areas seem to mostly be south. At any rate I'm pretty excited. Should be a good time.
>>
>>763640
>>763360 here. I live in Bowling Green u?
>>
File: pinnacles-of-berea-563634.jpg (65KB, 520x316px) Image search: [Google]
pinnacles-of-berea-563634.jpg
65KB, 520x316px
>>763981
Central / Berea ky here
>>
File: Nigger-jokes.jpg (13KB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
Nigger-jokes.jpg
13KB, 400x274px
>tfw Louisville

:'(
>>
>>763990
OP here. Half of my family is from fairly deep in the woods in Berea. They're the most southern people I've met, including Texans and Alabamians. It's great.
>>
>>764000
Checked, chances are I know em.
>>
>>764072
Chasteens?
>>
>>764101
Lmfao, yeah. Know 2 of them I think they live closer to Jackson co
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 458x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 458x390px
>>763850
Doing God's work, anon
>>
>>763891
I speak the truth. Perry, leslie, letcher and harlan is wild game. I'd gladly befriend yall and hang out. I'm pretty known for being a mountain man. Used to play in a very popular band. Not hard to figure out.
>>
>>764157
There are lots of them down there, lol. Family reunions are huge.
>>
>>764160
John Denver?
>>
>>764171
Pill Collins.
>>
>>764400
Checked.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.