[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this a bad idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

can i poke a hole in the top and bottom of my sleeping bag and run my hammock through it?
instead of messing around with an underquilt or a sleeping pad in my hammock, can i save some weight/bulk and use the bottom of my bag as it is? i figure using a bridge style hammock is best, as the holes will only need to be the diameter of the rope
>>
just use a sleeping pad holy fuck
>>
>>762266
yes you can. lots of people do it. overall it's a very elegant solution to the problem of ensconcing yourself in warmth while in a hammock
>>
>>762286
neat! any links? i'd like to see someone else's setup before taking scissors to my bag all willy nilly
>>
>>762266
What advantage do you think this has over just simply lying IN your sleeping bag IN your hammock?

You're just switching up layers mate, it's like wearing a t-shirt over a sweater, it really doesn't matter much heat-wise. The only thing you'll get is an extra pocket of air, but that's pretty much counteracted by the holes in your destroyed sleeping bag.
>>
>>762293
oh Socrates do you have no concept or knowledge of the thermal consequences of compressing insulation, and why underquilts and underpads/blankets are so important? you can't just lay your weight onto your layers, you need loft and this thing we call "insulation"
>>
>>762293
>tripfags in charge of knowing shitall
compressing insulation between you and the hammock renders it close to useless
>>
>>762297
>>762299
>fucking up your sleeping bag is an effective way to insulate the bottom

I beg to differ, but hey, enjoy sleeping in a cocoon of moisture and sorrow. I did consider the thermal insulation less important on that side as he's not sleeping on the bare ground, but I'm a tent lad, so I'll swallow my words on that one.
>>
>>762266

1 you wouldn't save any weight
2 you need a way for it to stop sliding and sagging in the middle
3 you need a way to stop it sagging down and creating a gap under you
4 you need a way to get into it, or to be able to attach/cinch one end whilst inside
5 the top needs to be low enough to provide contact and thus insulation

tl;dr there is a reason people use a TQ and an UQ. This is not a new concept, it is called a PEAPOD in hammock nomenclature, but it is not popular for a reason.
>>
File: 1462302334059.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1462302334059.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>755239

From the sleeping bag vs tent thread...
>>
File: 1462947866020.png (42KB, 1196x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1462947866020.png
42KB, 1196x1130px
>>762266
>>
File: 1462982383656.png (44KB, 1196x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1462982383656.png
44KB, 1196x1130px
>>762516
>a tiny amount of rainwater might make its way down that 2mm thick sling, better just camp on the ground where 100% of the water goes

also, dripline
>>
>>762287

Just get a bag with a double zipper, so you can unzip it a little at the bottom.
>>
>>762266

Just sleep in the hammock with the sleeping bag as is, forget underquilt and such. Add a bivvy bag and you'll be fine. You can cut the bottom of your bivvy bag and mount it on the hammock like so if desired.
>>
>>762516
>it's raining 100% of the time
i also have a tarp and drip lines
>>
>>762530
read the thread
>>
I've been hammock camping for about 5 years now and have never felt the need for any under quilt bullshit. If it gets below freezing overnight I just put on warm socks, a sweater and a hat. Call me crazy but that seems like a much easier solution
>>
File: uhhuh.gif (5KB, 300x413px) Image search: [Google]
uhhuh.gif
5KB, 300x413px
>>762614
you must be a warm sleeper. w-wanna share my doublenest with me sometime?
>>
>>762620
Only if I get to be the big spoon
>>
>>762530
don't listen to this guy

>>762516
what is a tarp

>>762614
an unrealistic solution
>>
>>762637
Really? How so?
>>
>>762614
what kind of bag do you have?
>>
>>762643
Coleman 0 degree
>>
>>762301
You should take high school physics someday.
>>
>>762293
>it's like wearing a t-shirt over a sweater, it really doesn't matter much heat-wise.
Actually retard, it matters quite a bit. Depending on the weaves it could actually be a decent idea to wear a t shirt over a sweater.
>The only thing you'll get is an extra pocket of air
AKA insulation, AKA the exact property that keeps you warm
>but that's pretty much counteracted by the holes in your destroyed sleeping bag.
Since you're so smart you should sleep inside of a sealed plastic bag
>>
File: bad-idea.jpg (282KB, 1196x1130px) Image search: [Google]
bad-idea.jpg
282KB, 1196x1130px
>>762524
Still this is like sealing yourself in a container.
>>
>>763585
with a proper tarp and dripline set up, the heaviest rain will produce 2 damp hammock ends at most
even this can be negated by waxing your slings just below where the drip line attaches
humorous drawing through
>>
>>763587
Please tell me more about waxing. I assume the wax stops the sling from sucking the water, but what kind of wax should be used and how exactly should it be applied? Isn't it messy when your gear is covered in wax?
>>
File: problemsolved.png (271KB, 1196x1130px) Image search: [Google]
problemsolved.png
271KB, 1196x1130px
>>763585
You just adjust to the circumstances with the right equipement
>>
>>763599
i've used candle wax in the past, but i imagine any kind would work. maybe use crayons for festive colors!
>get a chunk of wax
>rub it into your sling/rope just below where you attach your drip line
>melt it in with a hairdryer or a few quick passes with a lighter
any excess wax should "wick" into the fibers, so it isn't too messy.
>>
>>763619
Thanks for the advice. Maybe not crayons though. When I think about it even a short wax treated part of a rope/cord should stop the wicking effect with water.
>>
>>762516
>>762524
>>763585
>>763603
Kekkled hard.
>>
>>762293

You really shouldn't tripfag if you know nothing about content related to the board you're on.
>>
>>763603

Look, I'm not anon who had this idea but your argument is retarded. A peapod made from a sleeping bag isn't water proof IN ANY CAPACTIY, so if it were raining they'd have a TARP over the whole thing, which makes your argument retarded.
>>
File: lookout.jpg (375KB, 1196x1130px) Image search: [Google]
lookout.jpg
375KB, 1196x1130px
>>763585
>>763603
>>
OP, lots of people have done this. As others have said, it's called a peapod. Suhgemery on YouTube used one in -40F Temps (yes that's 40 below zero). So don't write them off as a novelty.

Check out Revhiker on YouTube and look for his free underquilt video. He turns a sleeping bag into a peapod.

One of the problems is gaps, since your hammock will almost always be much longer than your sleeping bag.

I've used a snugpak cocoon before, same concept. Seems to work well well used in conjunction with an underquilt and tip quilt. Used mine at -5F and was warm with a 5 degree underquilt and 20 degree top quilt.
>>
File: welp.png (255KB, 474x519px) Image search: [Google]
welp.png
255KB, 474x519px
>>765016
thanks for the info m8. revhiker method looks pretty solid and easy. i'll try it with an old car camping bag before i thrash my regular bag.
>mfw just bought a thermarest for insulation
>>
>>762527
I was thinking the same thing.
>>
What is the best (most bang for the buck) when it comes to hammocks for hammock camping? The eno©?
>>
>>765037
Nothing wrong with a thermarest pad too m8, you can use that as a sit pad, as extra support in your pack, extra insulation on cold nights, ect.

The peapod will work, I thought about hacking up my old gander mtn mummy bag for it, but bought a snugpak cocoon on sale for $44, and I kind of like it.
>>
>>765514
ENO hammocks are overpriced, and heavy for their size.

A decent cheap hammock is something like a Yukon Double, or Yukon Freedom V2/V1 when they go on sale at woot. They're like $20-$25 on woot, and pretty similar to an ENO doublenest.

A custom made Dutchware Hammock is less than an ENO, and about 1000x better.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.