[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm walking the AT northbound.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Map_of_Appalachian_Trail.png (45KB, 280x183px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Appalachian_Trail.png
45KB, 280x183px
All of it, all the way to Baxter's Peak.

What should I know?
>>
A lot
>>
>>762118
Like what?
>>
Think of Dory in Finding Nemo

"Just keep swimming"
>>
>>762128
I'll keep walking.
>>
>>762126

Know every little thing that you can do without and ditch it. Remember that ounces are pounds and extra weight when hiking long distance will fuck you up.

Also start working on a good trail name or make sure some qt3.14 chooses on be for you.
>>
>>762181
Don't listen to this guy. If weight is an issue then you are unfit for that sort of distance. Do 20 miles with 60 pounds through a lot of rough terrain, if it seems like something you would not want to do then you definately would not want to do that with 35 pounds every single day. I would work up to doing 60 pounds, 20 miles per day, over rough terrain for a full week and see how you feel at the end. Weight is a non-issue, it is mostly what you can tolerate. Remember, you are in the middle of the woods and of you want a harmonica then fucking bring it.
>>
>>762183
If*
>>
>>762183
I tend to agree with this guy. Don't wish for a lighter load, but a stronger back.
>>
>>762209
this is a quote that needs to be remebered.
>>
>>762209
>>762209
I want this on a patch
>>
>>762183
>>762209

Yeah, you two chucklefucks go ahead and walk 2,200 miles with 60 pounds on your backs. I'll be waiting at mile 200 wroth your wheel chairs.

Ask anyone that actually hikes long distance and they'll tell you the same thing. Weight matters.
>>
>>762183

This is shit advice. Weight does matter and it's easier than ever to get pack weight below 35 pounds. Mine is usually up there after a resupply since I eat a shit ton. I don't even think I could gather 60 pounds worth of gear. Food and water are the heaviest things and food is never more than 3-4 days away.

Just know you're starting kind of late for a northbound hike. I started the end of March, the largest bubble started early April. Baxter closes in October. I should be up there mid August.
>>
>>765364
This dude can go fuck himself. Hes spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on "resupply". He isn't packing all of his food. He isn't helping other hikers for donations of food or other gear. He isn't fishing or gathering his own food or trapping or hunting small game. He isn't getting food leftover at survival shelters. He just gets a mail drop. This dumbass is getting the Hilton Bed and Breakfast version of the A.T.

Don't listen to him. 60 pounds is on the light end for packing all the things you will need. Unless you intend to do what hes doing; spending a shitload to have a pampered asshole in the trail. What a fake experience.
>>
>>763058
Weight does not matter. I am 150 pounds and have done 250 mile week hikes with 70 pounds on my back. Totally easy I've even seen girls do the same. It's people like you that make me think nobody on /out/ has ever been on any real hiking or camping trips.
>>
I didn't know what to do with my life until I found the AT. Now I've been trying to hike everyday and train. I live in the mojave desert region though, so it's hard to find a forest to camp at. I'm usually stuck with mountain regions like 10-20 miles out of town.
>>
>>765395
So you haven't been on it yet and you're typically a desert dweller?
>>
I'm at Rei with a few people who completed the trail. What you want me to ask OP?
>>
>>765375
>He isn't packing all of his food
>on an AT thru hike
How dare he not pack 4 months worth of food in his pack. What a faggot.
>>
>>765481
Yes that is what I am saying. What a douche.
>>
>>765407
Yes, exactly. I've been in the woods here and there, but not for as long as I'd like to. Im really hoping to complete the thru-hike.
>>
>>765660
Well the only way to do it is to well, do it
>>
>>765662
Yup, I couldn't agree more. I'm just going to throw myself out there. I've been hiking and conditioning, and I think I'll be ready by next March or April. Hopefully I won't die lol
>>
>>765395
So why no PCT or Colorado trail?
>>
>>765498
>don't the AT for fun

Man it's like he want to be prepared instead of living like a hobo for a few months
>>
>>765900
The AT seems more friendly to new thru hikers, with the shelters every 9-17 miles. Pct seems really cool, I plan on it next.
Plus, I've never been longer than 8 hours by myself while /out/. So I think knowing how many people are there too, will be comforting.
>>
>>761972
>if you average around 20 miles a day you will finish in 4 months
>Also, make sure you can finish before they close Mt. Katahdin sometime in early October.
>Hiking in rain sucks.
>Watch out for ticks treat your clothes with permetherin.
>Don't get hurt.
>Treat/filter your water carefully.
>Don't get sick.
>Keep your load as light as possible while not sacrificing sleeping comfort.
>Bring a warm jacket, and a good rain jacket.
>You will get bad blisters, learn how to take care of them properly.
>Make sure you absolutely want to spend about anywhere from 2-4 months hiking.

I hiked it in 2012 I slept in a tent the entire way, shelters are mouse ridden germ traps.
Bringing a comfy sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and a bug proof tent will make your trip a LOT more enjoyable. I saw so many people give up and leave the trail after a bad nights sleep. Trail guide books are very worthwhile too.

I'll try to think of anything else important, and answer any questions you have.
>>
>>767021
Very good advice.
>>
Just a tip, nobody who has successfully completed a thru-hike of any of the big three will tell you not to care about weight. There's one or two here or there that make it with a heavy pack but it's usually scruffy half homeless people who looked like thru-hikers before they were thru-hikers, and don't know/can't afford better. Good on 'em, but weight makes a huge difference.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.