[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Certified search and rescue here, have any questions for me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
I am part of a ground team in the NW (US) for my county. I will do my best to ask those hard questions that you being wanting to ask.

Things what to do when you get lost, gear questions, how to get involved or what ever.
>>
>>761708
How do you go about cleaning your arse after making poopoo in the woods, toilet paper or baby wipes? Also, what's the official policy of your institution on this matter? Any regulations about it? Your answer is very important because it might help settle a long going on dispute among us. Peace.
>>
To do your stuff are you guys also emt trained?
>>
>>761708
Tell us about the staircases
>>
>>761708
How many time took you to complete the S&R course? Where should I look for if I was interested in doing it myself?
>>
>>761721
this
>>
>>761713

Depends how far the search area is from base. If we are really close to base, we have a vehicle with bathrooms. There are stories with my group before they had their own bathrooms that when they had to grid search an area near base and run into someones else's poop. They did bury like that are suppose to, but we are so thorough that we'll find it. But that was before I joined, lucky me.

Out in the field, toilet paper works fine, but I like to carry a few per-moistened wipes just in case. Get ones that are unscented and biodegradable.
>>
>>761719

Some of us are, some even more (registered nurses). All certifies have to complete CPR/ first aid/ AED training and a modified version of wilderness first aid. Unfortunately since it isn't exactly same wilderness first aid that you can get a certificate for, we don't get a cert for it. Those that become medically more trained also become a "resource" or an advisor.
>>
>>761722

It depends on the county and SAR team, ours does about 9 months of training. It isn't too extensive as it sounds, mostly because that teach from the ground-up (assuming you never been outdoors to begin with) which is kind of nice in the end. Of course there are some advance lessons once you certify.

I passed it the first time.

If you are in Oregon or Washington, ask your county sheriff. Yes, you'll need to have a clean backround.
>>
>>761737
>>761730
>>761729
>he doesn't want to mention the stairs or something bad will habben
>>
What qualifications and schooling and experience must you have? Wildland Firefighter looking to diversify.
>>
>>761754

Only qualifications I am aware of for my group is time, clean backround, and some money for required gear.
>>
>>761764

*Other counties and search teams may have different qualifications, schooling and experience for sure.
>>
>>761738
>sshhhh ids a secret :DDDDD
>>
>>761737
I'm not American and I've been having troubles in finding a place to do it, it sucks tb.h. What was the best skill you acquired during the course? Do you receive mountaineering trainning?
>>
>>761721
Came here to say this
>>
>>761708
What's with the staircases?
>>
>>761708
Pro or volly?
>>
>>761786

Navigation skills. Outdoor experience, lots of practical survival stuff.(A lot of the stuff I never seen on youtube)

>>761978
The only people that get paid are the sheriff deputies (usually the incident commander), National Guard and Coast Guard (we rarely use the NG or CG)

Dog teams and county based, technical, alpine, advanced communication SAR are all 100% volunteer and are funded on donations in the NW. Not sure about other sar teams outside of that.
>>
How'd you get into the "good ol' boys club"?

SAR out here is kind of ridiculous. There's a lot of people with solid skills, but because they don't live in the county they're automatically excluded from participating in SAR ops in the areas they know.
>>
>>761786

* We get sub alpine training (snow survival, snow shelter building, litter carry with snow shoes), but because our county has no mountains, we do not get mountaineering training.
>>
>>762026
>lots of practical survival stuff.(A lot of the stuff I never seen on youtube)
Such as, anon?
>>
>>762033

Which county do you live in, talk to the sheriff, sometimes if you live really close to a county line the neighboring sheriff will still consider you. There are some special teams that are multi-county and ask your sheriff deportment about them.
>>
>>762040

There are lot's of stuff, anything more specific?

Lot of "team" and "with a subject" survival stuff to be honest.
>>
>>762047
Lets say that I'm hiking with a kid, and that kid gets lost. Other calling 911 what should I do first? Any tips on that? Also what boots brand do you recommend?
>>
>>762041
There's places I ride my motorcycle and snowmobile regularly, and know the area well.
I'm also a fairly skilled rider, carry First Aid/CPR certs, and have communication equipment.

But since I don't live in the county, the SAR where I moto doesn't care. I've helped them out a few times when i'm out there anyways, the teams often do training and see me out there. Command knows i'm not just some joe-blow, but because of the bureaucracy I can't officially participate.

On the snow it's a bigger deal to me... a couple good mountain riders get in a shitty situation, SAR's dispatched.... they load up their 1990 136" 600 snowmobiles, couple guys on skis/snowshoes, and head out to look... i'm sorry, but you're not going to put a short-track 600 with a rider who gets maybe 6 days a year on the thing where a boosted 174" sled piloted by a rider who races hillcross can go. The guys on skis/snowshoes can probably get there, but it's going to be 4 or 5 days for them.

And there's many riders with capable equipment and skill, who have basic first-aid/CPR/avalanche/group management skills, who are told "No" by SAR, that "they've got the situation taken care of".
And they don't.

Buddy of mine was killed in an avalanche a few years back. Similar scenario; SAR dispatched, about 100 SAR members from numberous counties, including an ANG heli with FLIR.
Dad and brother rounded up a team of riders/racers and set out, only to have SAR tell them no. Dad nearly gets into a fistfight with command, ends up taking the crew out anyways

SAR didn't find the missing brothers, dad&crew did.
>>
Holy fuck you dont even get paid?
>>
>>761708
If you need to go to a second floor to rescue someone, and there's no elevator, and provided there's not a fire, you sure use the staircase right?

Now, what's with the staircases?
>>
>>762058

Sounds like you may want to look into forming your own SAR team and somehow becoming official in your area. If the county sees that you are serious and you got your shit together, they'll likely to call on your resources every now and again.

>>762061

Nope.
>>
File: DSCF4522.jpg (620KB, 1417x1165px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4522.jpg
620KB, 1417x1165px
>be me out hiking
>notice what looks like retard home made bridge
>take a picture
>hear of missing person later that day
>call S&R "I think someone tried to cross river with goofy bridge"
>S&R "go back to /pol/ kid"
>"um.. ok... just trying to help"
>>
File: DSCF5197.jpg (803KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5197.jpg
803KB, 2048x1536px
>>762094
Won't be the first or last time I got blown off by S&R
>>
>>761708
Are you tought how to navigate using the stars, in which cases?
>>
>>762090
Do you realize that you can get paid to do this?
>>
>>762105
Didn't you realize he is a noble /out/doorsman that just wants to help and money would be only a secondary effect to him?
>>
>>762102

Nope. Map, compass, and GPS. It is almost always overcast here and too many trees to be reliable way of navigating.

>>762105

I am all ears. Tell me how.
>>
>>762112
>Are you tought how to navigate using the stars, in which cases?
>Stars
>Cases
Staircases
>>
>>762094
>>762100

The only reason they'd blow you off is if they already located the subject or they're looking for something else all together. Our team will got on "at your own risk" non-official trails. Now sure why yours wouldn't.
>>
>>762112
North America is full of full time paid crisis response teams that do this exact job and many other great things.
>>
>>762117
Sign was posted after deaths.
>>
>>761708
When aircraft go down inna does your organization conduct the search, the police or the Civil Air Patrol mostly?

When I was in CAP they said CAP always goes to search for downed civilian pilots but it doesnt seem realistic, as they're a volunteer force who mainly do boyscout type shit with kids and get freebie hours in Cessnas
>>
>>762125

That hasn't happened yet in my area, at least not since I joined. I am pretty sure we'll be going up there for/if anyone survived. The dead ones will be left for the MEs, sheriff, FAA then after they're done it would just us hauling bodies out.
>>
>>762133
thanks. if you happen to find out more pls post in this bread. I scan all of /out/ regularly
>>
>>761754
>>761764
Then you are not adhering to THE National standard; or you're lying.

NASAR sponsors the SAR Technician training. Level III is no longer an operational-level certification. NASAR SARTECH II is required for operational status in any offical way.

Either you're lying, or you're part of a two-bit team who's obviously garbage if not SARTECH II trained at a minimum.

There's all that, and the basic FEMA ICS and NIMS courses that are required by the U.S. Air Force, FEMA, and the NSARC. Those are super easy though.

I'm a SARTECH II and High-Angle Rescue technician and ETT in Alaska, so I know you're a fucktard.
>>
>>762125
CAP works in conjunction with ground SAR Technicians usually, as part of a Task Force. IC is local LE.
>>
>>762235

We get state certified, yes we do ICS 100, 200, 700 and 800 (100 and 700 minimum). I was answer what qualifications BEFORE joining. You don't need anything before, but to certify you will be required finish certain stuff.

> I'm a SARTECH II and High-Angle Rescue technician and ETT in Alaska, so I know you're a fucktard.

For someone that can't identify that other SAR teams have different standards and training shows how little experience you have.
>>
>>762248
6 years
>little experience.

Sorry your PNW team is bullshit, fucking grizzly-food nerds.
>>
>>762250

I will let PMR know how you feel.
>>
>>762235

To answer your response more respectably...

Yes, we do ICS 100a and 700b. I didn't consider these as "qualifications", as they are part of our core competency guidelines. Some of us, advisors and team leaders also have to do Ics 200b and 800b.
>>
>>762235
>or you're lying.
The guy used a google image pic instead of a real patch. Just play along.
>>
>>761737
In many parts of Oregon, the county sheriff runs SAR as some sort of youth program for people who want to be deputies. This annoys the living shit out of me, as it excludes not only all the youth who have no interest in law enforcement, but also adults with medical or outdoor skills who would like to help.
>>
>>762845
Not that guy, but nothing taught thru the FEMA IS program is particularly hard.

I am taking ICS300 and 400 here in person, and even that isn't difficult for any normal person.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.