[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cairns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 15

File: hipsterfag shit.jpg (37KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
hipsterfag shit.jpg
37KB, 450x600px
Have any of you come across these stupid things on hikes? There's a whole trend online with people stacking rocks for "meditation" and get this, there are professional stone stackers.

I've tried telling people to stop doing this, but just get met with "durr the trails ruin nature there's nothing bad about stacking rocks!" Like, people get vehemently defensive about them.

What are your thoughts, /out/?
>>
>>760108
What the fuck? Hope you kicked them op
>>
File: °° (416).jpg (2MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
°° (416).jpg
2MB, 2592x3872px
Here comes the trigger train
>>
>>760114
Of course. Unfortunately those things are fucking hydras, kick one down and two more spring up somewhere else in the world.
>>
>>760108
When i see them i kick them over
>>
>>760116
ugh, horrendous
>>
File: ' (246).jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
' (246).jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>760133
Doesn't matter actually, I kick them after I've taken my hipster pictures
>>
>>760108
Stone stackers tend to stay within a days walk from the trailhead where the land is shit anyways
>stacked stones
>visible toilet paper
>every scrap of downed wood has been burned by campfirefags
If you walk a couple of days, stacked stones actually mean something
>>
>>760108
probably done by children or other feeble minds, naturally i kick them over
>>
I accompanied a friend to a bigfoot research group meeting at a library for shits an giggles.

They were adamant this was the working of bigfoot.
>>
I actually make a point to shoot those retarded things when I see them and it is safe to do so. If not I kick them over.
>>
I tend to think cairn hate is a meme, I only find the presumed pretentiousness of the people who made them mildly annoying.

>>760140

What could they mean then? And would the meanings differ by region?
>>
huh, my Dad called those "ducks" when I was a kid and told me they were meant to point you in the direction of the trail. I still make them sometimes, don't see what the big deal is.
>>
>>760142
Hahahahahahahahah I hiked some mountains in Cali when my bro was stationed in Malibu while I was a kid. While waiting for my parents I made one. Along the trail I started making more and more seeing how high I could stack them, it was a challenge to build the tallest without falling. While waiting at one of the scenic viewpoints a bunch of people were talking about seeing them along the hike and one dude mentioned something about Buddhists and all the people nodded their heads and such. Stupid hippys
>>
>>760108
Cairns are supposed to mean something like be a burial mound, mark a trail or stash.

Obviously when fucking tourist just stack rocks for fun, it kind of ruins the meaning of it.

That's why initially cairns were left alone in the wilderness because it usually marked where someone died and being the superstitious folk our ancestors were, they liked to avoid walking over a grave.

you know what I've actually seen cairns piled up in urban cities like chunks of asphalt or side walk in the center median island in the road.

I'll take pics and then kick it over tomorrow.
>>
>>760108
Cairns are very important navigational tools and the art ones are bad. Only official cairns should be used/built. This is very because people are going to die because of false cairns. I recommend reporting the art/unofficial ones.
>>
File: iwgy2i4g.jpg (16KB, 240x218px) Image search: [Google]
iwgy2i4g.jpg
16KB, 240x218px
I've never seen those. Or I have, but only as a delimiters between two land owners. They're usually bigger so they are more visible and don't fall apart. I think it's illegal to be building shit like that. You can get two years of jail for that shit. Feels good man.
>>
>>760279
>official cairns
>>
I worked on trail crew in Arizona and it was part of our job to build cairns. Those were built on a 2 foot square out of big stable rocks in a pyramid shape to help mark the trail. We knocked over ans dispersed any other cairns.

The only other place they are valuable for me is when they lead to climbing areas because those are usually accessed by small social trails that can be really over grown.
>>
File: 1442777630290.png (176KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1442777630290.png
176KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>760108
i only build cairns in hard to reach places. if someone has the opportunity to kick it down, they deserve to. the circle of life
>>
>>760223
>What could they mean then?
This is the trail
>>
Are these only in western US? Ive hiked across a fair bit of the south east and have never seen one
>>
>>760108
I love building this even more now because I imagine all you edgy faggots getting triggered by the cairns I've built.

As for kicking them over, who the fuck cares, they're considered a temporary art form anyway so whether it's you, me, or the wind that knocks it over I give no fucks.
>>
>>760425
>calls others edgy for kicking over eye sores
>look at me and how little i care faggots
>cairns are a temporary "art" form
Are you tumblr transplant?
>>
>>760425
>please look at me and how much of a faggot i am and how little i care

Has anyone ever told you that you're pretty pathetic?
>>
>>760279
Just kick them all down just in case
>>
Lurk moar faggot
>>
>>760407
There's this nice little swimming spot not many people know about but hipsters that I walked upon. Nice deepish clear stream that leads into the st Clair lake. Fucking beer and soda twist off caps embedded into the dirt making peace symbols and cairns all along the opposite side of the stream. Smelly dread headed women and dirty no shirt dudes. Made sure the park knew about them living there.
>>
>>760550
fucking snitch
>>
Is this you?
>>
Or, perhaps this.
>>
>>760516
>Tripfag lessons about wanting attention

o am i laughin
>>
>>760583
>u have a trip and this upsets me

Okay boy. :^)
>>
>>760593
>please look at me and how much of a faggot i am and how little i care
>>
>>760600
But I care a lot about you actually.

Please keep responding.
>>
Rock cairns are useful when marking seldom traveled trails. I've repaired them when I think they are useful, particularly on climbers trails. I don't know why such an important navigational tool upsets you meme lords.
>>
>>760593
everybody hates trips
even other trips hate trips because they are stealing their attention
>>
>>760620
Studies show that almost all tripfags are attention seeking faggots with gaping asshles
>>
File: at last 2.png (93KB, 600x507px) Image search: [Google]
at last 2.png
93KB, 600x507px
>>760626
Damn by worst fears were true
>>
>>760626
There's one in /ck/ and /diy/ who seems to only post in single threads about single subjects while staying completely on subject. Like in threads where the conversation needs to be kept straight as to who you are talking to. Same person I think because the tripcode is the same but the names are different. They post lots of images too.
>>
is this just a meme or are you guysactually all just prissy little butthurt faggots? If people like to place rocks on rocks who gives a flying fuck?
try it, you might get some entertainment out of it.
>>
>>760884
No, we are sick of people shitting up the backcountry. Trail ducks and cairns are supposed to serve a function other than the ego of some "artist"
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Here is a professional rock stacked I encountered in San Francisco. What he's doing doesn't even seem like it should be possible. They're very stable too, he hits them several times with a stick, hard, to make sure they're stable. When he's done he takes pictures of his display to sell.
>>
>>760559
Not anon but if filthy hippies can't respect the wildlife then filthy hippies should gtfo
>>
>>760884
First its stacking 'rocks'
Then its kicking over bolders
Then its cutting down trees
Then its starting homeless hipster communitys in your favorite spot.
Then its spray painting over imporant sites and thousand year old cave paintings because muh expression.
Then its murdering people on the trail because muh land now.

Its called the snowball effect newfriend.
>>
>>760559
People that don't stand up to shit like that are just as bad as the people doing it.
>>
>>760976
>actually believing this\
SHIGGY
>>
>>760905
get a life faggot
>>
File: gay-wedding-cake-0611091.jpg (51KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
gay-wedding-cake-0611091.jpg
51KB, 424x283px
>>760988
w-will you be my life faggot?
>>
>>760961
that's Sausalito you stupid fuckerino.
I was in Halfmoon bay one time and while very bored I started stacking rocks like that. Some reporter came and asked me what I was doing so I just started bullshitting about how i was making them to protest the war in iraq haha ended up getting printed
>>
>>760980
Then who will you by your drugs from?
>>
>>760360
>Those were built on a 2 foot square out of big stable rocks in a pyramid shape to help mark the trail.
And this is how you tell an official cairn from some Instagram shit: If you can kick it over; it's not official.
>>
>>761186
>If you can kick it over; it's not official.
Not true. It depends on the trail and location.
>>
>>761202
it's true about 99.9% of the time

if a cairn is small enough to be knocked over then it's too small to do the official job of 99.9% of cairns: mark trails in snow conditions
>>
>>761216
>99.9%
Not in the mountains on un-maintained trails
Also, some passes change over time so ducks are set up to mark the best route this season
>>
>>760559
Fuck off dirt kid. Go be homeless somewhere else. They throw garbage everywhere and leave a shit hole when they leave.
>>
>>760343
>official cairns
Yes, you might want to do some research before shitposting.
>>
There are a shit ton of Cairns down in southern Utah. Half are shitty little ones on cliff sides that were clearly built for artfagging, while the other half are actually important trail markers.

There are several trails that could be hard to discern from the background terrain and cairns help out a lot with those - there are even state sign posts that instruct you to follow the cairns to locate the trail. Most of the cairns are well constructed, but by no means huge, maybe 1-1.5ft off the ground.

Personally I think they are important, and I think it's a bummer that people dilute that meaning to be artsy. Same goes for modern petroglyphs.
>>
>>761239
were not all like that. on subject i only see shit like these around rainbow gatherings and dumb hippie crap like that. never run into any deep innaforest.
>>
File: stone people.jpg (1MB, 4012x2792px) Image search: [Google]
stone people.jpg
1MB, 4012x2792px
>The year 2016
>Not making inukshuks
>>
>>760571
shitting fuck this makes me mad
the result of millions of years of erosion fucked just for these cunts' two seconds of amusement
fuck me
>>
>>762214
these are rather acceptable, i like the things dont resemble something other than some stupid random stack of rocks.

It's like snowmen but rocks
>>
>>762214
Oh no, they are evolving.
>>
>>764625
I like how one has a rock in his hand.

Next it'll be a sharper stone upon a stick
>>
>>760593
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>760233
Why wait for tomorrow?
>>
>>760108
>>760114
>being upset by a pile of rocks
>>
I posted this story sometime last week

> Be volunteer looking for a missing hiker.
> Missing for 4 days.
> Finds a dry river bed
> Only clearing he found, with a small stream, camps there for almost 2 days.
> Makes and SOS with rocks and sticks hoping that he would get spotted in the air
> Hears the sound of a heli passing by (it wasnt being used to locate him)
> leaves his reflective emergency blanket visibly by 2 trees and bolts in the direction of the sound.
> Luckily runs into a fire trail. With trial & error and backtracking finds himself in a seldom used bitumen road and is found 8 hours later.

>Says he left a sign marker and his stuff in his campsite.
> Investigate, find that not a few hours after he left a group of people (following the stream) loitered around the campsite.
> the sign was not obvious at ground level due to shifting terrain but was more probably obvious if looking from above.
> They built cairns out of the rocks, and left the sticks relatively untouched leaving the last "S" totally legible.
> Emergency blanket is missing.
> Mistaking it for rubbish, took it away and binned it in a carpark rubbish bin where it was found by park rangers the next morning.
>>
>>760108
Climbed a smallish hill mountain thing in Sedona and found a cairn on a rock at the top. Down she went, fuck you Brian
>>
>>760571
is there a youtube or liveleak link?
>>
>>760216
>I actually make a point to shoot those retarded things

I assume you mean the people who build them
>>
trail to Hörnli Hutte below the Matterhorn. This.
>>
>>760992

Kek

#rekt
>>
>>762214

>MFW that's actually the native word for chlamidia
>>
>>765181
Fucking morons.
>>
>>766336
I mean the rocks, shooting people is a bad idea anon.
>>
File: skyrim_cairns.jpg (670KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
skyrim_cairns.jpg
670KB, 1920x1200px
>>760108
They're even in my fucking vidbox!
>>
>>760108
It's pretty funny to see people upset about a few rocks, and almost equally fun to see people complain about them being kicked over
>>
>>760370
This should be the banner of out.
>>
>>760279
>>761445
>>761501
>>760403
I don't get cairns as trailmarkers. Why not just use blazes? Can't get knocked over, can be different colors to mark different things, easier to make, and even a dumb hipster isn't going to go around making their own blazes
>>
>>760108
>durr the trails

Maybe if you only go backpacking where there are trails, but out in the bush cairns literally save lives for those who might have lost their navigation gear

It's a tradition going back thousands of years, fuck off cunt
>>
>>768675

They are also used as a place marker where a cache of medical or food supplies might be stored.

Like seriously OP, fuck off
>>
>>760142
>>760137
>>760114
I carry a caulk gun and 2-3 tubes of PL Loctite to glue the cairns together when I go out. I can't really glue them to the ground (unless they're on a rock face, in which case I glue them to that) but they will stick them together and hurt like hell if you kick them.

The funny thing is I hate cairns too but I'm an idiot that enjoys the thought of pissing people off. I say thought because while I've glued over a dozen of them so far I've not gotten to see anyone actually break their foot kicking them. I giggle to myself the whole way home though.
>>
>>769658
You do realize that the cairn kicking population is so small that statistically you'll probably never meet one, right?

Also who the fuck breaks their foot if they kick something?
>>
>>769664
You can break the teeny little bones in the top of your foot pretty easily if you kick something you think will give that doesn't. You can literally drop a ten pound weight on your foot in the right place and break some bones.
>>
>>769664
I don't really care because most of the fun is imagining people being upset at my actions. I get the payoff whether or not anything actually happens.
>>
>>769673
Who kicks a cairn with the top of their foot? I would assume most people use the bottom, that's what the cairn kicker patch shows after all.

>>769675
You obviously care else you wouldn't do it. Duh.
>>
>>760108
Why is this bad?
Besides "muh nature"
>>
>>770168
Besides the lnt factor, they can be misleading to people not familiar with the territory. They are supposed to serve as marks for trails
>>
>>770189
I think people who use stone mounds for navigation should stay at home.
>>
>>766351
Where's your face
>>
>>761013
kek
>>
I dont understand /out/s hatred of these
If your coming across cairns then that should indicate you're in the wrong fucking area to be exploring about
Simple as that
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 640x325px
There's a bunch of cairns in Uncharted 4 in Madagascar. I knocked them over for keks and there were some funny situational dialogue sections that came from knocking them over. Apparently there's a PSN trophy for knocking them all over, but I didn't get it so I must have missed some.
>>
>>770197
I think you've never been high into the mountains, woods fairy
>>
>>773246
I'm going to built few just for you.
>>
>>773270
You wouldn't dare to
>>
I knock them over whenever I find them. My buddy and I ran in to some fagets doing this one time. We explained that it's not cool and asked them to stop. They understood and knocked them over and then we shared some trail mix. It was a pretty OK little interaction.
>>
File: CairnsAreTheFuture.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CairnsAreTheFuture.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
uhmm.....
>>
>>773134
NO TRACE
O

T
R
A
C
E
>>
>>773271
And than I will carve your post numbers on it.
>>
>>768154
Most of the time cairns are used as trail markers in areas that are open and largely devoid of other forms of demarcation, like in a desert or above treeline. They're extremely cheap, extremely durable, distinctively man-made and can be built and repaired using materials found on-site.
>>
>>760230

>California
Fucking kek
>>
>>760108

Is this a USA only thing?

I go out hiking a lot in bongistan and I've never seen one of these. We do have the big pyramid cairns, but those are put in as trail markers.
>>
>>773762
it's a hipster neo-zen thing, so yeah.
>>
>>773372
devilish
>>
>>766334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ft2q4ckQI

i believe it was uploaded to the guy's personal youtube originally
>>
>>773762
They're common here in Czech republic, but only in most frequent paths.
I just found article from NP dept bitching about cairns
http://zpravy.idnes.cz/krkonose-mohyla-kamen-pomnik-turista-ochrana-fa5-/domaci.aspx?c=A130809_150221_liberec-zpravy_ddt
I've also seen plenty in Tatra Mountains.
>>
Lmao. People actually get angry about these? This is the first time i have heard of this.

They are fairly common in Switzerland, people just do it for fun and because it looks nice, theres no hipster buddha shabang about it.

>being so bitter you actually kick them over
that is so funny holy shit
>>
>>760108
>I've tried telling people to stop doing this,

for what purpose?
>>
the massive ammount of butthurt coming from both sides about cairns is incredible
>>
>>769658
You're my hero
>>
>>773936
When you really need them and happen to take a wrong turn because some asshole with an instagram account wanted to take a cool pic, you'll start to hate them too.
>>
>>773928
As others have said, in parts of the US the trails aren't obvious, so cairns are used as trailmarkers to help people find their way. But if people just make random cairns because they think they look cool, cairns can't be used as reliable trailmarkers anymore. It used to be if you saw a cairn, you knew that that was the direction you were supposed to go. But now following a cairn might get you lose
>>
File: DSC_1073.jpg (571KB, 1624x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1073.jpg
571KB, 1624x1080px
What if they mark peaks? Where I live there are cairns at the top of peaks surrounding the town. On each cairn is a box with a visitors book in it. If you climb to the top of each of the 10 peaks 10 times then you get entered into a ballot and can win a cruise or something. Seems like a good idea to get locals and tourists /out/.
>>
>>760137
Those are shitty rock stacks.
>>
>>760571
Those obese fucking tumors should get executed.
>>
>>773996
If they mark peaks you leave them alone. They are always usefull when the weather is bad
>>
>>760593
Literally everyone thinks trips are for jerks.
>>
>>774130
Only one thing worst than that: fucking bikers
>>
>>760516
>>760583
>>760593
>>760600
More like Hypocrates.
>>
>stacked rocks trigger /out/ this much

You're acting like a bunch of butthurt liberals.
>>
>>776322
He does that all the time. Controversial, right?
I'm a trip, I'm anon, I'm a trip.

It's pretty sad but sometimes you have to invent your friends and enemies.
>>
>>769658
This is why I just throw a bigger rock at the cairns to knock them over.
Actually, its just more fun that way.
>>
>>760108

i'm tasmanian and these are old school. people here build them as way points on the old trails i.e. the old sheep running trails on public land.

because of that, they're sacrosanct. people dont randomly build them, and its a big no no to knock them down. they're usually made sensibly too, i.e. not some meticulous balancing act like the one in OP picture.

>>760608
sounds like you come from a similar environment

>>765181
this is retarded though. its obviously cancer when millenial types do it as some cool hipster art thing.

>>773762
must be a new world thing

>>773996
they also mark peaks in tasmania. there is one mountain peak covered in heaps of tiny rocks (i.e. as big as a baseball) and when you climb the mountain you put one rock on this massive cairn. its very large now.
>>
>>760976
While this is kind of an exaggeration, it's not far off.

There has been a toxic mentality spreading throughout upper-class first-world millenials and younger generations, that "The world is my playground! I can go on a trip anywhere and do anything and have fun in every corner of the world like it's my back yard!"

Then you get these kids murdered in Africa while on vacation, taken prisoner in North Korea, lost in the jungles on a "hike", defacing/destroying cultural and historically significant features and landmarks because "I didn't know it was important, I was just having fun!", all because they wanted to go on a vacation somewhere "exotic!" and then treat the country like some American public park or tourist trap.

The world is not your fucking playground. Have some fucking respect for the local customs. Keep in mind that being rich and white doesn't make you invincible nor does it give you diplomatic immunity.
>>
>>762214
Canadian here.
These are pretty cool. We would always learn about them in Social Studies growing up.

I rarely if ever see one, and whenever I do, I make sure not to disturb it, since I know how difficult it is to find a mix of cubic and flat slab-like rocks to pile up stably in these configurations, given the environments I see them in.

I'm not spiritual and honestly I don't give a shit about whatever spiritual connotations the Abos have with these things, I just know how hard it is to collect the right combination of rocks to make them properly.
>>
>>761013
link pls
>>
>>777010
Cairns are often used to delineate trails above treeline. They're all over in the Rockies.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.