[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /out/, how do I start on the journey towards being a survivalist/outdoorsman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 1456617385191.jpg (310KB, 1321x1321px) Image search: [Google]
1456617385191.jpg
310KB, 1321x1321px
So /out/, how do I start on the journey towards being a survivalist/outdoorsman?
I've basically just grown up in the suburbs and never had anyone to teach me basic skills so where do I start? What are some good books or resources?

I know, read the sticky, but the links in the sticky are dead for the most part. Or at least the pdf's in the sticky are broken.
>>
>>760085
Why would you post that cruel af pic man, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>760090
I didn't really know what pic to use and just chose one at random
>>
>>760102
So here's your first lesson. Your dogs always on a leash. Respect the land. If you are going to hunt, do it humanly and make the best of the animal you killed. We don't kill for the lulz. Don't litter and make your best effort to leave the place as close to what it looked liked when you arrived. If there's litter around, bring it back with you and put it into a trash can. And actually go /out/. Start with day hikes, take notes about what you used and what you didn't, what worked and what did not. From there take it to an overnight camp. And so on.

And stop posting that kind of /b/ tier shit pics around here. We're not amused.
>>
>>760109
Alright, sorry.

What sort of skills are essential to learn? What would be considered the basics? I'd imagine stuff like firemaking and such.
>>
>>760109
>Your dogs always on a leash
I know this guy. Pepper sprayed any dogs lately?
>>760085
>survivalist/outdoorsman
Why do you want to do this?
Why not just go /out/?
>>
>>760143
I do want to go /out/, I'm just kind of ignorant about it. I figured learning /out/ skills would help along with that, and even then they seem like fun things to do.
>>
>>760090
Was your mom an iguana or something?
>>
>>760143
>>760151
M'homo
>>
In the same boat as you OP, looking forward to getting some answers. There's so many resources online, just don't know where to start.
>>
>>760085
>...never had anyone to teach me basic [homosex] skills
Son, you're gonna die
>rip in peace
>>
>>760166
Sometimes I rip the skin
>>
>>760157
Start by going /out/
When I was young and just getting into this hobby, there was no internet
I started with car camping in national forests and parks, worked up to dispersed car camping in national forests and BLM land, started backpacking and got better each trip
I didn't need any survival skills, just common sense and willingness to experiment
>>
>Survivalist
What does this mean? Somebody who survives every day? A lot of people tend to do that, no real outdoor skills needed
>>
>>760547
Just knowing basic wilderness survival skills
>>
Start by going out on overnighters. Learn skills, learn hunting, learn handcrafts (woodworking n sheeit). You can go out on longer and longer expeditions, and then you can be a full mountain man survivalist.
REMINDER: skill is more important than gear. Start working out as well.
>>
>>760738
Any suggestions on what skills to start with and readings to learn them?
>>
>>760750
mors kochanski is regarded as a teacher of the teachers
>>
>>760752
Thanks for the advice and reqs anon!
>>
>>760750
Learn how to make fire, how to make water safe for drinking, how to navigate, how to read maps, how to make usefull knots, how to fish, basic knife safety etc. Search in youtube. Most of these things you learn by watching, not reading.
>>
>>760757
Thanks anon, I'll be sure to look these up
>>
File: 1421026713341.jpg (38KB, 311x400px) Image search: [Google]
1421026713341.jpg
38KB, 311x400px
>>760750
A great book is wildwood wisdom.
Learn basic firelighting, water filtration, shelter building and tarp setups, and knots.
Then you can go on to more crafts, like bow and basket making, hunting, hide tanning.
Wildernessoutfitters (dave canterbury) is a great channel for bushcraft stuff. Look on his playlists.
>>
>>760765
I'll look him up
I've also heard good things about primitivetechnology, how is he? Or is he more advanced stuff?
>>
>>760767
he is more of an anthropologist. if you wanted to live long term in the untamed bush, yea, he shows a lot of the techniques elder people wouldve used. but everything he does are less tasks and more like work. in the days he is portraying, peoples jobs wouldve been to do those things. for your average bushman, they arent trying to build a village, just not die of cold and hunger
>>
>>760769
Alright, thanks for the clarification
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.