[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The cost of /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 15th_century_bell_tent.png (100KB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
15th_century_bell_tent.png
100KB, 280x200px
So my spring semester of college ends, and I've been telling myself that I will start going innawoods for the first time this summer.

However, I have absolutely NO equipment what so ever, save for some decent knives.

What all am I going to need to go out? Can you guys give me a list? Ive been book marking stuff ive been thinking about getting, but id like to run down the basics and the wants with you guys.

Tips would be appreciated too. thanks /out/
>>
>>759228
Tell us what do you think you need and we will give you ideas from that. Keep in mind that you need water, food, shelter and a heat source just to stay alive.
>>
Especially if you're not too concerned with weight, there's a TON of used shit out there for you to grab for next to nothing, OP.
>>
>>759297
oh jeez incoming milsurp trolls
>>
Pls for once let's not spoonfeed this guy. Let him talk. We share opinions. Everyone learns.
>>
>759228
So expensive, even a caveman could do it...
>>
>>759228
Share your thoughts. What do you think you need or want, and why.
>>
>>759228
Tent
Sleeping bag
Roll mat
Torch
Hiking bag
Waterproofs

Thats probably the bare essentials OP. Yes you need to eat but if you're on a budget you can just bring shitty home food
>>
>>759228
Tell us what's on your list first, op. We don't want to encourage people to come here and be spoon fed
>>
Prices pulled from Amazon, you can probably get this shit cheaper at a hardware store.

>Woven Poly Tarp (Green, 8x10)
$9.99
>100ft Paracord
$7.99
>Mora Knife (believe the meme)
$8.99
>Basic Backpack (hint: don't buy an "outdoors" brand, cheap school bags are fine)
$15.99
>Water Bottle / Re-purposed Soda Bottle
Free
>3-Pack of Bic Lighters
$3.99
>Thrift Store Pot / Pan
$4.99

>Total:
Like $50-60 bucks or some shit.

This should get you started. Find a local area to hike around and explore. You don't need an expensive pack, and you don't need expensive hiking boots. Just start off with a lightweight pair of runners that your feet are already used to. You'll know after a few trips if you want to invest in specific footwear for hiking. I personally think the entire outdoors industry is overpriced bullshit, so be diligent and try things out on your own first.

Find a nice spot and try out some different tarp pitches / practice some knots (learn the taught-line hitch and toggles at the very least). Set up a shelter and chill out, enjoy the scenery and silence. Practice making fire and learn about local wood species.

You might want to get a firesteel, too. Not because it's a better "survival item" -- that's just a meme perpetuated by manchildren playing bushcraft -- but because using it will force you to learn about local tinders and how to process them.

Once you've got fire going, cook up some rice, veggies, and steak. This shit costs next to nothing. Don't buy "hiking food" or those stupid little fucking grain bars. Half a cup of delicious basmati rice costs you pennies. A couple carrots, potatoes, and some broccoli is like $0.50 cents. Steak isn't expensive if you aren't buying best cuts (even the cheap cuts taste amazing on campfire). Eat real food in the real world, don't be a bitch.

From here, decide if you want to upgrade to overnight trips. Just add a sleeping bag and a larger pack. Those two items are the only place I'd actually invest money, so do it last.
>>
>>759228
Gear list depends on what activities you hope to do while /out/.
Are you hoping to:
Fish?
Long distance backpacking?
Car camping?
Mountaineering?
Bushcraft shit?
Hunting?

How about some more info other than "hhalp guys I wanna go /out/"
>>
>>759338
>tarp, paracord, mora

This anon is a troll, don't listen to him at all.
>>
>>759286
>>759301
>>759320
>>759413

op here, ill admit i didnt give enough info

I am going to south ohio to camp in some woods there, and really i just plan on hiking around and killing squirrels or rabbits for food, and bring my own of course.

But generally i just plan on walking about and exploring an area, and i want the shit that will keep my comfortable.
>>
>>759432
Idk what you're planning on using for squirrels or rabbits. If you are looking for a rifle, the Savage Model 64 with a synthetic stock runs a bit over $100 and is pretty much the most accurate .22LR out of the box. I have taken more game with it than with all my other firearms combined.
>>
>>759338
This guy has a point.. What you need in the woods is a way to keep rain off, a way to keep wind out, a way to carry water, food, and a way start a fire. That's kind of it. However, if you live where there are mosquitoes, good luck getting any sleep while being bitten all night. I've tried it, not sure it's possible unless you sleep like you're in a coma.

Camping food is overpriced BS. If you want some awesome take-anywhere food, look up how to make tsampa and pocha or any staples that native people used to eat: cheap, healthy, easy. Make your own granola, or just bring a mix of oats and millet for breakfast, two of the cheapest but nutritious grains around.

Skilling up on knots is a good idea, they are really useful. Get some cord and practice.

Have you ever been in the woods alone at night? It's scary, so make sure you won't freak yourself out. It's a lot different than being in a structure, where you can't hear anything. You can hear all kinds of stuff in the woods at night.

GLHF
>>
>>759414
Paracord and Mora I can see being as "meme-y," but a tarp?

A tarp is the single most useful piece of kit I can think of. I bring one even on my dayhikes, to set up as sun/wind/rain shelters while I make lunch or whatever. And when I do an overnight hike, I find that a tarp makes a better shelter than a tent. Weighs way less and doesn't suffer from condensation issues. Quicker to pack up, too.

Tarps are a must... tents are only useful if you live in a bug zone. And in that case, I'd rather have a hammock with a bug net and tarp anyway
>>
>>759804
What if it gets stormy, at least tents have doors
>>
>>759414
>troll, don't listen to him
except for the fact that you need all 3 so meme all you want. It's also 100% accurate as to the dead minimal needs.
>>
>>759813
Interestingly enough, the last time I used my tent was during a moderately bad storm. During the night, the rain fly literally tore in half and flew away. I woke up to the sight of trees swaying in the wind. I was soaked and unhappy.

The tarps I own now are far tougher than that tent (and it was a good tent -- reputable brand and everything) and have survived worse storms.

Hint: a low pitched flying diamond tarp setup will keep you dry through just about everything.
>>
>>759817
>>759804
I've never once used a tarp while hiking or camping. Same goes with paracord or any type of cordage actually. A knife can be useful, if you are bored, but it really isn't needed. Even cooking or fire starting you don't need a knife.
>>
File: pic.jpg (101KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
101KB, 960x720px
>>759880
If that works for you, great. But what do you do when its raining? Do you camp at all during winter? Or do you only go out when the weather is favourable?

I live in the pacific northwest so skipping the tarp is a surefire way to ruin my trip -- it rains here just about constantly. And I feel like being trapped inside a tent during a rainstorm is not a very fun way to spend a weekend, either. A tarp provides a shelter you can stand under and do other tasks comfortably...

I'm guessing you live in a very arid region if you don't need a knife for fire. Where I come from, if you can't split wood down, you can't burn it. Pic related.
>>
>>760219
could always get a slightly larger tent, anon.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.