[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to get my first kayak and I'm wondering what I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (43KB, 435x290px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 435x290px
Looking to get my first kayak and I'm wondering what I should watch out for. Plan to use it for saltwater island camping this summer. Usually I putt around in a 14 foot motorboat, but downsizing seems ideal for some of the rockier islands around here.

Any general/saltwater kayaking advice?
>>
Know what to do when your shit flips over, and waterproof everything super carefully.

Other than that, it's not too complicated.

Oh, and try not to get washed out to sea by any currents, that can happen if you're in a coastal area with no motor and the tides are strong.
>>
>>757455
Open ocean or bays and lagoons? Cold water or warm? Do you plan on fishing?
>>
>>757489
Boston harbor; cold water; planning to stay away from the open ocean/outer islands until I get more experienced. Hadn't really considered kayak fishing but it is something I'd like to do.

>>757458
Thanks anon. I know where most of the eddys/currents tend to form around here, so I should be ok.
>>
>>757644
Well sit in is arguably better for cold water and waves, but sit on top makes fishing a lot easier. If you're covering long distances a long narrow sit in will take less energy to paddle. Best bet is to try different boats out to get a feel for what you want (good shops have tryout days, so look into that). Don't spend a lot on your first boat until you have an idea of what you like and don't like.
>>
>>757455
muh ray mears
>>
>>757455
There's no reason you can't do both! I've taken my kayak on my motorboat a couple times so I can explore skinny water and mangrove creeks that are out of range to a kayak alone. I have a 22' deck boat, so i've got lots of room.

I prefer a sit on top for ease of entry/exit from a dock or into the water to wade. If you tip, it's much easier to get back in and going again. I'm in warm, calm water btw.
>>
I want to buy a kayak and want to know what kind to get. I want to use it on lakes, rivers, and potentially oceans. Probably won't be doing any actual whitewater stuff on it since we can rent them free at school.

Can't tell if I want a sit on top or a sit in. I'd like to do some fishing on it and be able to swim around it. I also want to be able to do some overnight/multiday camping trips in it.

I was thinking the Pescador 12 or something, anyone have any other ideas?
>>
>>760899
I'm a sit-in guy, but SOT is probably better for you for the fishing and the swimming.
>>
>>760899
i find sit in about 10000x more fun, except for swimming. sit on top is just so much better for swimming around.
i love to roll around in it.
>>
>>761180
>>761221
About what kind of rivers could you do in a SOT? Just Class 2 and below?
>>
bump, might as well make this kayak general
>>
File: pDSP1-23039648v750.jpg (205KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-23039648v750.jpg
205KB, 750x750px
Im looking at getting my first kayak, in terms of strapping it to my car, is my factory roof rack fine? and should I tie it down right side up or upside down?
>>
>>763008
yeah, class 3 and above is where you would really want a sit in, for safety reasons and you need more control over your boat
>>
>>766264
ideally you want a pair of vertical bars to tie the boat on to sideways,to save space etc. but you would want to tie it on upside down in case of rain or whatever. also get some ratchet straps instead of using rope!
>>
File: pelican.jpg (92KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
pelican.jpg
92KB, 960x717px
>>766264
Previous anon here, just got my first kayak!! cant wait to use it, got it for 180$ CAN, I think I got a pretty good deal
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.