[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Term Survival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: hut2.jpg (72KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
hut2.jpg
72KB, 620x349px
Any tips and tricks for long term stays in the wild?

I like camping and all, but I really don't know what i'd do for any period lasting more than a month, let alone a week. Curious to see what resources you guys have for things such like sustainable food, durable shelter, and various other quality of life items made from scratch.
>>
Realtalk, you'll probably die on account of that whole food thing.

There's a reason you don't see a lot of hunter gatherers these days.
>>
Totally depends on the environment and what you're willing to do. Hunting? Fishing? What kind of supplies are you willing/able to start with.

One could easily stash a month worth of food somewhere then live there for the month.

What is your goal?
>>
>>757317
Pretty much this.

Good luck maintaining a food source in the wild, hunting isn't as easy as it looks and growing food in the wild is uhhh pretty wild.
>>
>>757315
careful most people on this board turn in to meanies when you use the "s" word

It really depends on the enrivonment, I would try to catch sunfish (because their stupid and abundant) and trap squirrels and rabbits where I live, water I would try to build a clay pot for boiling, and shelter something lic your pic
>>
Being autistic helps a lot. Not joking. Needing to socialize os a big deal. Any way to over come that is a huge deal.

Bring spices and salt.

Hatchet.

Ruger 10/22 with a ammo can of 500-1000 rounds.

Heavy duty plastic bags to keep meat and various other things.

Make your camp near a creek and use rope and the plastic bags to keep your meat cold.

Outside of appropriate clothing for your environment this is absolutely all you will need.

Source: Minimal Survivalist going on 2 decades
>>
>>757325
I'm not too familiar with agriculture related things, but what makes growing things in the wild so unrealistic?

It was done thousands of years ago, what's keeping people like us from replicating it?
>>
>>757347
You're going to burn a whole lot of calories making a plot of land suitable for growing things. And then, assuming you have seeds and then proper weather, have fun waiting all summer.

There's a reason people died at 24 years old from the common cold.
>>
>>757347
Small scale subsistence agriculture could work.

Of course, you're going to need to cultivate several acres per person, use domesticated crops and animals, and it's back breaking labor.

And it wouldn't really be wild any more.
>>
>>757315
>Long Term Survival

Start farming. Find animals and plants you can raise as food.

>>757349
>>757325
Hunt and gather until the first crop. Also, farming is super easy. Especially, when you are farming wild crops that are already growing in their natural habitat.

>There's a reason people died at 24 years old from the common cold.

Common cold doesn't kill, but ignorance can turn it into pneumonia. There are tons of wild plants you can use to stay healthy and treat the common cold.

>>757317
That's only because humans are lazy and agriculture is far easier in the long run.
>>
>>757347
Food is so plentiful because of the way it's grown, 3rd world countries suffer because they don't have the ability to produce enough food for the people from their 'wild farms', maybe small scale but yeah all that work for the amount of food is hardly worth it. To grow an excess would only be worthwhile to stock for winter which would still be hard as shit, farming is hard labor especially when you don't have all the advanced tools to help along the way.
>>
>>757427
Lets make a hypothetical situation, lets say you are really far out in the middle of a forest in a mild climate area and no ones around for miles, is it possible to maybe manage a small scale garden as a backup food source for when hunting and gathering might not be working well? Or would it realistically still require too much work even on a smaller scale?
>>
Depends on your location, where I lived me and my brother use to go camping all summer and just leave away from my parents house (we had over 30000 acres for rent) all we did was put a net up in the lake/river and we ate fish and picked berries during the summer.
>>
>>757522
can you really live on fishes and berries?
>>
File: thesurvivalists.jpg (83KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
thesurvivalists.jpg
83KB, 720x405px
You need to carry a lot. Most people in the thread are wrong, it's not difficult to feed yourself in the wild, you just need to know how to do it.
If you want to farm, take some seeds and farming tools and fence wire (or make a fence yourself).
Trapping will be best for you. Get some box traps or some snares, and you can survive off rabbits and squirrels and small game.

Don't eat just rabbit and nothing else, or you will die of starvation because they are so lean. As long as you get an animal with a bit of fat on, like a hog or wild bird or even a good squirrel, then you'll be fine.

Also learn to forage for food. In my area, nettles are plentiful and can be eaten all year round. They're not as nice in autumn and winter than they are in the spring, but they're still good to eat and will give you nutrients. Boil them to remove the stinging taste.

There's also a reason why most hunter gatherers would move to a coastal or river area when it was the winter. Bullrushes (cattails in the US) are easy to identify, easy to process, and are an amazing food source. You can even make bread, but if you're near a marshland then bullrushes may be your main food source.
Fishing is incredibly important. Instead of walking in the woods looking for a deer or running after a hog, you can sit down and fish or just set up a net and work on something else.
It's not easy to live alone off the land (that's why almost everybody in history lived in a small tribe) but it's not impossible. You won't be living for 20 years (your clothes will wear out and you'll have to prepare hides, which is incredinly labour intensive and takes a long time, and you probably won't be able to get food in that time) but you can survive for a while.
Good luck OP. Trapping and Fishing will be your main sources of food.
>>
>>757315
If it's not a perma-frost area or a desert, then you can basically just survive by eating insects. Assuming you can get yourself enough drinking water.

You can eat ants, termites, earthworms, grasshoppers, earwicks, crickets and basically all larvae that live in dead wood.
>>
>>757517
You just wouldn't get enough food from a small enough scale farm, in the wild they won't preserve nearly as well so anything you would grow on that scale would be consumed within a few weeks at most.

It's just not all that viable to grow enough food for a person or two in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>757346
Carry an air rifle. You can carry a fuck ton more ammo for the long haul.
>>757315
Galvanized snares, small body grip traps, a fuck ton of YoYo fishing reels, and rifle + boolets.
>>
>>757701
>Don't eat just rabbit and nothing else, or you will die of starvation because they are so lean
false. if you eat the skin and offal, it boosts the fat content enough that you wont get protein poisoning
>>
File: spics.png (1MB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
spics.png
1MB, 540x960px
>>758049
Most people don't eat the skin and the offal though, including me. I throw the hides away or tan them and offal could be better used for traps and bait or just thrown away.
>>
>>758011
Slingshot best.

You can pick up ammo off of the ground.

If you don't have one, you can make a sling or a bow and arrow like OP pic related.
>>
>>757315
professionals themselves say that a person alone could only make it a month
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.