[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leather Boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: 326_B_Pirschstiefel.jpg (109KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
326_B_Pirschstiefel.jpg
109KB, 450x600px
So I have these pretty basic leather lined leather boots, which I wear with army wool/poly socks, and which my feet manage to totally drench with perspiration within a couple of hours. They also dry terribly slow - there's advice to let boots dry a whole day after wearing, and mine are nigh unwearable even drying them indoors through the night. I don't want to imagine how that would be on a multiple day hike and such.

I imagine synthetic lining or goretex would dry faster (and be less problematic even when wet) but I kinda like how leather doesn't stink like hell. Besides, I'd prefer sewn-welted boots for longevity and there are no such GTX boots that I know of.

Does anyone have experience with managing moisture in leather boots? I know about changing socks and such but don't think that would help (in fact, my socks were usually barely damp, all the moisture went to the leather). Old style leather boots had no lining at all, I could imagine that those would absorb less moisture or dry faster?
>>
>>757238
Gore Tex is a big deal for a good reason. Historically people in warm climates just wore sandals, cloth shoes or built really low-topped, light boots like desert boots.
>>
I mean your'e best option is just getting a solid pair of synthetic/breathable/gortex shoe/boots. Or buying like top of the line wool socks.

Most decent synthetics will last you 500 miles OD's. Don't be one of those people wearing them shits to the bar and camping, get a separate pair.

I'd also suggest trying those sweat wicking salts if you haven't already, essentially just drysol.
>>
File: DSC_0017.jpg (281KB, 644x428px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0017.jpg
281KB, 644x428px
honestly sounds like you need to condition your boots alot. i'm employed as a leather worker in Australia and we use a mixture of bees wax and neatsfoot oil to dress all of our products.

i own a pair of danner pronghorns which i know everyone is going to give me shit for because they're not made in Murica. but they still go through the same quality control in oregon where the other danners are made. so far they're very comfortable and the water proofing is amazing. they're all leather with a gortex lining. though the gortex for me is only a back up. i rubbed the conditioner into the boots and wore them out in the wet ground and pouring rain. the water just beads up and rolls off the leather.

i've had good quality synthetic gortex scarpa boots before and the gortex lining lasted 8 months and the boots lasted 1 year before the stitching on both boots failed. i'd expect more from $300 boots, which is why i've moved on to leather.

so pretty much i recommend putting some neatfoot oil and beez wax on your leather boots (put multiple applications on and see how the fare then. if you want to get new boots. go for all leather. they may weigh a bit more and might not be as comfortable at first but they will become more comfortable as they shape to your feet and they will last longer.

pic related are my boots
>>
File: Lundhags-Scout.jpg (114KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lundhags-Scout.jpg
114KB, 600x600px
>>757238
goretex will take even longer to dry out once they're wet. Get a simple leather boot with as little lining as possible or a synthetic without goretex though they will obviously not be water proof.

>>757497
oil and fat will eventually clog the goretex membrane and make them less breatheable and fucked up. Only use wax.
>>
>>757546
mine have got a lining inbetween the leather and the gortex so they can handle the oils. but i get what your saying if its just leather and gortex.
>>
File: 32571.jpg (126KB, 600x713px) Image search: [Google]
32571.jpg
126KB, 600x713px
>>757546
Lundhags boots sound interesting, but they're rather expensive, apparently not very comfortable and hard to fit right. The only other halfway modern unlined boots I've seen are reproductions of WWII boots.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.