[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone done a thru hike or large sections of the AT at a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Has anyone done a thru hike or large sections of the AT at a time? I'm looking for some book recommendations. I plan on doing it next year. I vaguely recall one book being the most liked, but I forget which.
>>
Keeping an eye on this thread, the AT is in my future.
>>
Thru hiker 2011 NOBO here. Do you mean guide books or books about the trail? Guide book is either the ATC published one or the green one (blanking on the dudes name). The ABC has a lot of cultural info. I used that and I really enjoyed learning about civil war history, stories, that sort of thing. The green one has elevation profile. Only advantage. Which ever one you have, someone else will have the other. Yr an idiot to bring the two.
Narrative format, everyone reads that shitty walk in the woods Bryson book. I don't like the dude as a writer and he also gives up Hella early Cuz he is a bitchy old man. I dunno, you could try Walking with Spring for a historical account.
>>
>>757019
Same dude here. the green book is David Miller's.

Checkout Appalachian trials. Website a buddy of mine started, a lot of blogs and articles about gear, preparation, culture, etc.

Whiteblaze.net is another good forum for all stuff thru hiking.
>>
>>757019
I haven't done a long hike before, so I'm looking for a guide book as well as a hold your shit, are you sure you're up for this book
>>
>>757033
Sorry which one? I don't get your question
>>
What about the David Lauterborn books?
>>
>>757019
How the fuck do you people get the time to hike 2100 miles?

Does it progressively get more difficult and make you want to give up, or does the difficulty plateau and you just embrace the suck? Do you eventually just get used to the physical fatigue?
>>
>>757118
In my case, I am self-employed in real estate development. I could afford to not work for 5 years and be fine.
>>
>>757014
i was on the AT today.

Do you recommend using the trail markers as fire wood?

I don't want others to chase me down and kill me.

inb4 blue and yellow
I was close to home.
>>
File: 1 copy.jpg (905KB, 2474x1982px) Image search: [Google]
1 copy.jpg
905KB, 2474x1982px
>>757257
forgot pic
>>
File: image.png (175KB, 1024x1762px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
175KB, 1024x1762px
>>757260
>>
>>757014
Considering the AT is a marked trail, how important is a compass to have?
>>
>>757014

Does anyone know of (or is anyone) a non-US citizen who's thru-hiked the AT in its entirety? Just wondering what the situation is with visas etc. I'd love to do it some day but wondering if the US would let me come in for that length of time to do it (Ausfag here).
>>
>americans need to study books to hike a trail that is practically a road, complete with signs, bathrooms and mcdonalds
>this trail has "culture" like LARPing with "trailnames"

why so disconnected fron nature?
>>
>>758424
>be in woods
>us gov can't find you
>finish your hike
>get free flight home via deportation

Also, fuck off, we are full
>>
>>758758

Of mexicunts

I think you need some good Aussie genes there mate, I'll be happy to spread my seed around while I'm there
>>
at thru hike is not difficult aside from length and duration

the most common issues i saw and experienced were just issues with gear e.g. "i bought shoes that aren't good for me" or "i'm really attached to this heavy or useless piece of equipment" or "i didn't do some test hikes to make sure all of my stuff is proper". all easily remedied since the trail is always close to civilization

it's walking everyday for months. if you are healthy and plan attentively then the hike should be straightforward
>>
>>758424
I've done NH and VT in two section hikes. I met a couple Germans and an Israeli. You would be a tiny minority but you would see a wild fringe culture of the US that would be really exciting i think. You'd certainly be accepted without any degree of hesitation.
>>
>>758447
This is one of the most demented out of touch posts I've ever read and hope it's a troll. When you're backpacking 5hroygh stretches of wilderness that are 10, 20, and sometimes in Maine literally 100 miles without crossing a road let alone a settlement, you need to know the distance between water sources, places to restock food and supplies, find or safely pitch shelter, deal with large animal hazards etc. As for the AT being like a road - it varies from that to scrambling up 3k rock cascades and waterfalls in various parts of the 2200 miles. That's probably hard to process given its about the same distance from Lisbon to the Western Ukrainian border.
>>
>>757411
I would always carry one given their emergency value and almost non existent weight, but you theoretically will not need it at all.
>>
>>757014
Planning my thru-hike. I really like the guide David Miller did. the layout was more practical in my opinion. Also, appalachiantrials.com is a great website resource. They have a gear list compiled from surveys they did of thru-hikers.
>>
>>758424
People will accept you and like you.
Best bet is pretend you are Swiss or Swedish and do norden der horden speak.
Aussie is OK but chicks in US hate the word cunt and you guys use that like it's breakfast.
>>
>>759189

>like its breakfast

kek we do hey cunt

Seriously though just mostly around our mates. It's only the bogans that use it constantly
>>
>>759041
>Lisbon to the Western Ukrainian border

Kek could you have possibly given more obscure reference points?
>>
>>758424
For visas you just apply for a B1/B2 visa before you come. When you land Immigration will give you 6 months, which might be enough time. If you don't get a visa ahead of time you only get 90 days.
>>
>>759041
>10, 20, and sometimes in Maine literally 100 miles

Wew, quite some inflated numbers. Google says 38 miles in the maximum distance you can be away from habitation in the contiguous states. 120 miles if you're in eskimo country in Alaska

source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_points_of_the_United_States
>>
>>759434
Wew, bushwacking off trail for five miles over boulders, cliffs and ridges with a broken leg might not be feasible, an abandoned logging encampment in the backwoods is not a resupply point, and an unexpectedly dry creek ten miles from the nearest alternate in 100 degree heat isn't a water source.
>>
>>759434
the 100 mile wilderness is in Maine, literally right outside of Baxter State Park. You can detour at White House Landing several days into it, but the main trail cuts straight from Baxter to Monson.
>>
>>759640
that said, you do come across logging roads and other signs of civilization every once in a while, it's not a true 100 miles of wilderness
>>
>>759434

He's talking about the trail, not 'in any direction'. There might be a wallmart 10 minutes' walk away, but if the trail doesn't go there then you're still in the wilderness
>>
>>758835
Any white person with an accent being outdoorsy will slay American poon. Godspeed ya cunt
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.