[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CAMPING AND HIKING WITH ARMY EQUIPMENT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 24

File: gorka.png (390KB, 942x512px) Image search: [Google]
gorka.png
390KB, 942x512px
what are your experiences?

I was looking for a sleeping bag for winter.. the ones you can buy from army surplus shops are 100-150 $ cheaper than the civilian counterpart

also.. pic related.. these are made for russian mountain troops.. people owning them say that you can just wear a tshirt under them when it's 0 C / 32 F
they are also excellent windbreakers

would you buy? (they come with trousers too)
>>
why settle for equipment made by the lowest bidder?
>>
File: 1421026713341.jpg (38KB, 311x400px) Image search: [Google]
1421026713341.jpg
38KB, 311x400px
Everyone goes on about Gorkas. They're a meme here, and I've heard that they don't do well in extreme rainy weather.
>>
>>755954
>and I've heard that they don't do well in extreme rainy weather.
they are water repellent not impermeable
>>
>>755948
Why being a cuck?
>>
File: 1433455942770.png (187KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1433455942770.png
187KB, 409x409px
>>755948
saving up money?
>>
>>755947

You can wear practically any base+outer in 0c AS LONG AS YOU'RE ACTIVE

Total meme.
>>
>>755947
yeah, if they are significantly cheaper than prooven commercial attire, I would buy.
>>
File: peepe.jpg (55KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
peepe.jpg
55KB, 900x900px
>>755961
I WANT POOR FAGS OUT OF MY /OUT/
>>
>asking to a bunch of autistic armchair """adventurers"""

Bad move OP
>>
File: gaz_tigr_l6.jpg (288KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
gaz_tigr_l6.jpg
288KB, 1000x750px
I would be surprised if they do that much walking or hiking in them
>>
OP here.....

does anybody own a gorka or an army sleeping bag?
does anybody on this board leave his basement?
>>
>>755993
Where do you think you are? On reddit? Lmao
>>
>>755947
Nearly all my gear was army issue (Irish army) can't fault it . Sleeping bag is excellent, basha, poncho , were issued cold weather , regular and summer trousers, combat tunic is good , have been using the same one fifteen years and it is still on great condition , really hard wearing. Same with my stove , compass , mess tins , kfs, and loads of other shit
I think there is a certain element of people that go out that need to be wearing Gucci shit , and love to discuss how much their gear costs. When I was in the army we were the same to a certain extent , haix boots weren't good enough for some they had to buy the mendls and so on.
My opinion is buy what works and what u need , if u can get good quality army surplus stuff , go for it
>>
>>755993

One of my fellow leaders in the scout troop I'm involved in has a dutch army sleeping bag. M90 or something. (at least M followd by a number).

It's a goretex bag that's water-resistant or water proof or some shit and it looks warm and comfy as fuck.

Too bad I'm too tall for it, though. Apparently there was a version for taller people like me, but it's really rare and almost impossible to find at army dumps and the like.

Her's was about 100 Euro's at the army dump. I would buy the version for taller people in a heartbeat if I ever saw it for that price.
>>
>>756085
>>756088
Thanks for your answers
>>
90 pattern MOD sleeping bag is a cracker.

British smock is also just perfection.

British goretex shell jacket is also pretty good, you see (especially the desert dpm) them for cheap.

I really like the old 50s era woolen gear, both the US and British woolen tunics/shirts and trousers are supposed to be awesome.

Surplus gear is heavy tho, and not my pick for other items. Basha is fine but for equivelant weight you can get a much bigger camping tarp. Similarly with stoves and cook kits.
>>
>>756088
dutch army sleeping bag is excellent but it weights 5 kilos.. too much for a manlet like me
>>
>>755947
>>>744977

It's going to be a lot heavier than good civy gear. The buckles and zippers are generally weird sizes that regular outfitters dont carry replacements for.

Also, alot of it is designed to keep you alive, not necessarily dry and comfortable.

It will be tough as fuck in most cases. With one exception being the new molle rucks with the plastic frames, which i have found to be a little better than disposable.
>>
>>755947
>nipple buttons on the middlejacket
kek
>>
File: 1432057864622.gif (4MB, 395x235px) Image search: [Google]
1432057864622.gif
4MB, 395x235px
>>755969
>my
>>
>>755947 thats memewear. you don't want 1 layer to do everything. wind/moisture resistance and insulation should be separate and you should be able to adjust your insulation to your activity level and the temperature by shedding layers.
there's some real winners among army equipment (woop p-38 can openers) but the vast majority of it kind of sucks. it's made with different priorities in mind than /innawoods/ such as fire resistance and high volume unit costs. like ya those probably arent bad if you're on a russian mountain but it probably sucks the other 100% of your life.
>>
File: 1460493342716.png (3MB, 1475x835px) Image search: [Google]
1460493342716.png
3MB, 1475x835px
>>756715
Gorka is not a meme.

I wear mine religiously. Hell I've mountIneered in it.

It's worth every penny OP.
>>
>>756715
Gorkas are not insulated. They're very thick cotton duck shells.
However, I can't imagine how cotton can possible be better than faster drying polycotton let alone modern softshell jackets.
>>
>>755947
I own one OP, get one, they're ace.
>>
>>756819
Gorkas are way cheaper than the average civilian counterpart
>>
File: 1460499186075.png (3MB, 1479x829px) Image search: [Google]
1460499186075.png
3MB, 1479x829px
>>756819
They are meant to protect you from wind, and serve as a breathable shell.most have DWR treatment (SSO/SPOSN/BARS)

They also have reinforced ripstop where it counts, and built in gator system.

GOAT GARMENT.

It will keep you warm with minimal thermal gear underneath. I use a peckham fleece underlayer for cold weather.

It's awesome in heat too, billows nicely and keeps you cool.

If anyone is interested stop by the 'surp threads on /k/ there are a group of us planning on doing another large purchase from RU.

I just got back from camping in CO the past week and I basically lived in mine. It was perfect for hot days and the cold nights. Brought mine to 14k and was /comfy/ as fuck.
>>
>>756795
>>756873
where are these pitchers coming from? someone put their camera down and then snooped around in front of it like a woodninja while it snapped pics?
>>
>>756873
you have a sposn one? or?
>>
>>756879
I only really buy BARS

But you can't find them anymore, a few eBay sellers have them, but besides that BARS isn't sold to civies.

Yeah the pictures are old, and potato.

I can post more recent photos if you want, these were the only ones I have on my phone.

SSO/SPOSN makes a good gorka too, and the low end version would be a MODOX, Ivan has a bunch of MODOx for $70 on kommando store, and at that price point it's pretty good for finding on in the US.

Either way, they do serve their purpose well.
>>
lol milsurp. patagucchi and arcteryx fo lyfe
>>
>>757417
>lyfe

get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>756795
is that a modox gorka?
>>
>>757516
BARS
>>
File: 1383106567413.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1383106567413.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>755947
>wear a tshirt [sic] under them when it's 0 C / 32 F
Or you could just wear a t-shirt.
>>
>>757539
fucking homo
>>
>>755993
A few people on /k/ have gorkas
>>
File: 23423424.png (1MB, 1477x983px) Image search: [Google]
23423424.png
1MB, 1477x983px
>>757542
>>757541
>>757539
nothing but a tshirt under it in this pic
>>
File: dsc02243.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02243.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>756873

Yes it's basically a smock, just not done as well as the MOD one from impression.

Pic related, you can pick up a 95 pattern for peanuts.
>>
File: gorkameoff.jpg (2MB, 2720x5392px) Image search: [Google]
gorkameoff.jpg
2MB, 2720x5392px
>>757580
rather have a gorka.

that smock is 3-4 times heavier than the gorka and doesn't perform half as well. I have one, and it isn't as nice to wear as my gorkas.

wind resistant
light
versatile

find me a better garment that fits that mold.
oh and that you can wear from -20f to 110f
>>
>>757664
Quick googling, weight of suit is 4-6lb, not exactly lightweight

Wind resistant, well duh so is a smock

Versatile, again, so is a smock.

Like what you like, if you want to run around like a /k/ommando feel free, but it's basically the Russian version of the British smock.

As for your -20f to 110f comment, under freezing cotton works superb, so thats hardly a unique point to the gorka.

tl;dr a gorka isn't fantastical it's just a regular piece of kit
>>
>>758040
fair enough
>>
>>755947
I have a pair of Gorka 3, I fell for the meme. They are extremely bulky (as they are meant to go over body armor) and rain gets through easily. The trousers are actually really lit because of the suspenders, but the jacket is shit
>>
>>756795
Eh, I only like the pants honestly, the jacket is terribly unnecessary
>>
>>757664
I wanted this pattern but when it arrived it was in complete digital flora. Kinda triggered desu
>>
>>755993
I have an Army sleep system. I just finished using it for ten days in the field for an FTX.
They work fine. I think they're really fucking annoying to get the light bag inside the winter bag inside the bivy cover and to get all that shit to lay comfortably, but whatever.
>>
File: IMG_20160507_113958.jpg (1MB, 2340x2946px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160507_113958.jpg
1MB, 2340x2946px
>>758265
Who makes yours? They all vary from manufacturer. I find SSO to be the lightest. BARS is a bit bulkier, but the partizan material is thicker, more rugged.

There is a good YouTube channel that compares makers. Check em out and get what works for you.
>>
>>758040
I thought gorkas were more durable than smocks though
>>
>>758699
They are. The kid is an idiot.

It's made with tent material, much more durable cotton mix called partizan. With ripstop reinforcement.

He just wanted to justify wasting his money on a DPM smock. Which is nowhere near the same as a gorka.
>>
>>758747
Well I already have three DPM smocks so I'm personally looking into a gorka. IMO DPM 95 smocks are overrated as fuck. They aren't waterproof and provide no insulation, only windproof and quick to dry. But overall for hiking or /out/ activities I am looking for something more suitable.
>>
>>758747
its just that yuros have this creepy sense of patriotism. they will put objectively shittier british product above anything else. which is fine in an nationalist economic sense, but not when it borders being a propaganda machine, where they start adopting "thats not a flaw, its a feature" mentality
>>
>>758885
Well your argument is clearly invalid since I am from the UK and I just stated the positives and negatives of the smock in >>758880

Please don't go assuming shit its not good
>>
>>758885
>its just that yuros have this creepy sense of patriotism. they will put objectively shittier british product above anything else
That's rich coming from an american.
>>
File: 32653.jpg (89KB, 600x670px) Image search: [Google]
32653.jpg
89KB, 600x670px
>>758880

> They aren't waterproof and provide no insulation, only windproof and quick to dry.

That's the whole point you retard. Go buy a fucking shell if you want water proof.

>But overall for hiking or /out/ activities I am looking for something more suitable.

What do you expect the gorka to do differently? It's also a cotton / polycotton wind breaker. It'll be nominally more waterproof and insulated than a smock, if at all!

If you understand proper layering you would know you don't require water tight clothing unless you're in heavy downpours and you're better off with a system that allows wicking and evaporation.

Smock for activity in mild weather, pile lined wind shell for activity in cold weather, poncho or shell for heavy rain

>>758885
Actually, I rate the Scandinavian version better as it has pit zips and a slightly lighter weave.

>>758747
kek, kid, nice baiting, kid.

>tent material

Partizan .. well, I can't find much info from a preliminary google search and you're honestly not worth the time, but what I did dig up:

Gorka 4 BARS:
>Fabric 100% cotton

Gorka E:
>Material: CANVAS, 100% cotton

Gorka 3:
>thick 100% cotton fabric (olive) with digital flora (60/40 cotton/poly) inserts

Wear what you want, but don't go shilling your shit just because you have a hard-on for cheap Russian surplus.
>>
>>758920
Thanks for the tip. Looks like gorkas are a meme after all.

>pile lined wind shell for activity in cold weather

Which smok has pile lining? And yes I am in an area that rains A LOT.
>>
>>758880
Nothing short of a membrane is truly "waterproof". Fabric of whatever material is water repellent at best, and the impregnations wear off with time. Generally, higher poly-content fabrics are easier to impregnate and dry faster. Virtually all military clothing in wet western europe and north america has a poly content. Only russia prefers to use pure cotton canvas.

>>757664
>>758747
>>758885
You literally have no argument why your gorka is magically better than a smock. It can't be made from more durable material yet somehow lighter. It's also not better against water as I explained. It's a cotton duck jacket in a baggy cut while the smock is more form fitting with lots of pockets. That's a matter of preference and concept. The only shills here are you.
>>
File: buf.jpg (68KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
buf.jpg
68KB, 864x864px
>>758929

rereading my post I sound overly aggressive. sorry fellow /out/ist.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Buffalo shirt mountain shirt or active shirt. They have zips that run the entire sides as well, which is awesome.

Basically I always quested for waterproof but realised it's not about creating a barrier it's about allowing passage of moisture. Yeah I might get damp if it rains a little but I'm still warm and I dry off relatively quickly.

If it's really heavy the poncho comes out.

Of course, it's not ideal in high mountain but I rarely do that, and if you were considering a gorka from a smock I doubt that'd be ideal either.
>>
>>758929
I think that's a pretty uniquely british thing. Violates the layering principle IMO (though I guess the moisture transport might be superior to fleece+windshell).
>>
>>758935
Hold gorka up to the light
The weave is consistent and thick, barely any light shines through.

Hold smock up to the light.
Inconsistent weaving, big seperations of weave. Light shines through brightly.

Test it yourself faggot.

If you haven't worn or used a gorka in extreme conditions you have no place in this argument.

Goddamn right I shill gorka. It's the best GARMENT I own.

I have various smocks, parkas, coats, and jackets from all types of military institutions. Of all the rare Pokemon I own the gorka is what I find myself using the most.
>>
>>758939
Don't worry, this is 4chan after all. There isn't really a threshold on aggressive posts.

So your solution is basically when it rains layer with a smock, let the smock get damp but the layer underneath protect you and dry it off later. Then what would be the purpose of using the smock in the first place and not just the buffalo jacket if its going to get wet anyways? The smock provides next to no insulation and serves only as a wind blocker and a thin protective layer.

>>758944
I guess gorkas will work in light rain but I think in heavy rainfall it would just absorb all the water which adds to the weight of the already heavy gorka which wastes energy. Is that correct?
>>
>>758943

They're highly rated if you read up on the concept. For activity in exposed terrain especially, mountaineering, trail running, stuff like that, because it wicks super well and still keeps you warm.

>>758944
>Hold gorka up to the light
>Hold smock up to the light
>I have various smocks, parkas, coats, and jackets from all types of military institutions.

If you have both then please show us some photos to illustrate your point
>>
>>758948
Windblocker and thin protective layer, as you put it, is often enough. If I keep the wind out I keep my core temperature consistent. As long as the rain isn't heavy I can regulate my body temp fine even if I'm damp.

And sometimes you don't want insulation. Mountain shirt is a winter garment IMO.

I'd say a pile lined windshirt and a smock have overlapping roles. But when inna woods I'd rather the abrasion resistance and pockets of the smock.
>>
gorkas are kinda cool cos I like slavshit, but duck cotton simply isn't as good as various synthetics layered properly

go cosplay on another board
>>
File: Smock.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Smock.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>758956
I have three overall, two of which is the one of the right. I personally prefer to travel light so I try not to bring extra layers such as a poncho. But I will check out the mountain shirt. It seems like a good shout. But I might just end up using a multi purpose raincoat since it would cover the effects of both the smock and the mountain shirt. I might change my mind later on though
>>
>>756369
mods
>>
File: 3456345634563456.png (2MB, 1479x985px) Image search: [Google]
3456345634563456.png
2MB, 1479x985px
>>758948
>absorb all the water
DWR it
>>758951
>If you have both then please show us some photos to illustrate your point
just got back from a long expedition out in the, had most of my gear shipped back to the east coast, my DPM suit is in the box with my tent and tarps. When they arrive tomorrow or tuesday I shall demonstrate my point.
[I shipped the DPM back because I basically lived in my gorka and decided not to wear the DPM]

I can make some video about the differences in smocks, parkas, their usefulness and different settings each accelerate in. I have various garments I can test in terms of surplus usability.

Would this interest anyone? Pretty much all my girl and I use is surplus for our technical gear, and for good reason. It's cheap as fuck and works better than most of the expensive meme gear.

call the gorka a meme, but it's the best thing I own and the first garment I grab for going /out/ and I own A LOT of surplus.
>>
>>758972
forgot to mention. nice smocks. I love both patterns but the one on the right is really nice.

I just got two serbian parkas today too; which I intend on beating the shit out of. They kind of remind me of the british smocks
>>
>>758920
The weave is very similair to the russian infantry tents. which is refered to as partizan [which I am completely spelling wrong and mistook for Brizient] which is a cotton canvas weave that is used for tents. Such as an anorak which is a similar concept.

Sure the other garments are 100% cotton as well, but the weave is different, and much heavier.
>>
>>759003
Haven't posted in this thread yet but
>DWR it
DWR sucks. It wears off too quickly, and doesn't actually prevent water absorption over any meaningful length of rainfall. Sometimes when I go /out/ it rains for the whole day, or for several days. You cannot rely on having drying time for clothing, it's a stupid concept that relies on something completely unreliable (weather).

>...and I own A LOT of surplus.
That's nice. Do you own much commercial gear? Do you go on multi day trips? All of your pics are just you running around for the day on hills and in the snow. That's fine if it's your cup of tea, but it's not exactly a vigorous test of a garment. I could do that in the clothes I wear on the walk to work on cold days without a problem.

Do you think waterproof breathable fabrics are a "meme"?
>>
>>759044
> Do you go on multi day trips?
yes I do, often a week or so at a time. I do own some commercial gear, but not enough to really do comparisons. I also just got a camera so I started taking photos and videos more recently. I hunt A LOT and do multinight pack hunts for coyotes and other animals year round in a state that experiences quite a few extremes. Perhaps I'll start doing some videos of gear in the field, since it seems to be a reoccurring topic recently on /out/.

DWR does kind of suck, I find the Obenauf's heavy DWR to be the best, I've tried a few and that seemed to work the longest, and repel the most.

Pain in the ass to apply, and keep up on. but it works. for hunts I typically bring a swiss poncho and use it as my shelter, often wearing it when it starts pouring.
>>
>>755947
>just wear a tshirt under them when it's 0 C / 32 F
Because it's always a consistent environment and you don't sweat or anything.

You've never been outside, have you
>>
>>759068
I don't understand what your beef with what he said is.
His claim is that at a given temperature, 0c, you can just wear a t-shirt under it.
You're saying "what about when you sweat?" Well you're shit out of luck then, aren't you? You've just got a tee and an outer so you can't really remove layers. The gorka wasn't for you.
>>
>>755993
From my experience army issue sleeping bags are shit. They will keep you warm but the will also weight a ton. Something I plan to experiment with in the future is getting an army surplus patrol bag (because I like the sturdy construction of them) and replacing the fill with down. Also I just purchased a us army surplus bivvy and can report that they are one of the best bivvys I have used.
>>
>>759110
I use a patrol bag. it's nice in cool to warm temps.

sucks balls when its cold.

I'm going to be setting up this week at Brimfield Flea Market in Massachusetts. If anyone is in the area and finds my tent and tells me they shit in a river I'll give them a decent deal on some gear. I have a vast selection and am looking to unload most of my shit.
>>
>>759110
this guy right here the army bivvy is awesome the sleepings bags are fucking heavy and i shit my pants when a buddy pulled out a civy sleeping back that packed up like a large can of soup and was rated to the same temps as the patrol bag. get the bivvy and a civy bag.
>>
>>755993
Gorka are comfy and neat, but they are just water/wind resistant oversuits. You really don't get anything out of it that you were missing from any commercial clothes. Most other surplus is the same way. I wear it because salty milslurp is comfy and the newer stuff I play tacticool with and want to use it but a good jacket is a better investment.

Army sleep system is okay but I find it heavy and bulky. If you can get it cheap it's useful but a good compression sack will serve you better for 3 season camping.

The best things from the army are poncho liners/woobies, molle pouches, and silkies. Oh and I usually wear a lot of BDU pants in the woods because they are dirt cheap and last well.
>>
>>759541
>salty milslurp is comfy and the newer stuff I play tacticool with and want to use it

What are you trying to say?
>>
>>759556
I buy old stuff and wear it because I think it's neat and comfortable. I buy newer mil gear because I occasionally run around the range, a class, or milsim and I need stuff that fits both the actual needs of actually being usable, durable gear and looks the part. I have a set of Austrian pea camo for example that is super comfortable but I would not bring it to a rifle course to get destroyed when I can just deal with being a tryhard and use multiglam ACU pants.

I guess my point was that there's a difference between buying milsurp because it's cheap, neat, and comfy, and buying fancy ass Crye stuff because you think operator pants are the end all be all of innawoods gear.

Sorry, it's been a long weekend.
>>
>>759575
It's okay buddy, I just didn't understand your sentence. I agree with you.
>>
>>759003
>I can make some video about the differences in smocks, parkas, their usefulness and different settings each accelerate in. I have various garments I can test in terms of surplus usability.
>Would this interest anyone?
yes senpai !

also what brand is the best for gorkas? I was thinking to buy an ANA
>>
I have a Gorka-3 by Tactic-9. Haven't used it much yet but I like the overall rugged design. The fit allows for a lot of movement, the pockets are spacious and hold shit in well, everything is closed with sturdy ass buttons instead of velcro or zippers and the canvas is strong with nylon reinforcements. But all this is better suited for military purposes rather than casual camping and hiking, unless you like to crawl on the ground or hike in thick bushes. You just don't usually need that much abrasion resistance, but on the other hand it's not gonna harm you. The suit could be a little lighter but it's not bad at all.

It's stupid to complain about the suit not being waterproof. It's not meant to be. The suit breathes pretty well since it's cotton and is easy to treat for water resistance but of course that won't last forever. Combine the suit with a rain poncho or something and you're golden. I'd rather have a comfy suit for good weather plus a shitty suit (like poncho on top) for bad weather (as long as it keeps me dry) than have a membrane suit that doesn't breath all that well in good weather either.

I'm currently interested in the Gorka-5 by Splav. The canvas is supposedly lighter (for rucking, I wouldn't want to have a temperature over 5-10 celsius or so with my Gorka-3) and the fit is a bit more anatomical rather than having a tent thrown over you. The style is a bit more casual too but the function isn't any more casual, quite the contrary. There are many new updates on the details. If only they made it in NYCO or something similar it would be close to a perfect suit for my taste.
>>
Should I get a woobie or stick with my wool blanket?

How much does one weigh?
>>
File: GorkaRange.jpg (1MB, 1340x831px) Image search: [Google]
GorkaRange.jpg
1MB, 1340x831px
>>756992
http://www.specialrussianshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=134

SPOSN Gorka-P.
Legit site, bought a backbag from them.

>>755993
Btw yes we have Gorkas. Pic related.
>>
File: 1450350381504.jpg (206KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1450350381504.jpg
206KB, 768x1024px
>>756876
>pitchers
>>
File: 1384807523737.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1384807523737.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>758885
>>758885
>american defending russian outerwear from europeans
>>
>>759815
Nice outfit. Was there any hassle getting it to finland?

(jormapostaaja spotted)
>>
>>759789
Woobies are the real meme surplus here. They are just comfort blankets for people in shitty conditions which is why they are loved, but as actual equipment I don't think they are very special.

I think this sentimentality and cosiness factor comes into play a lot. I love both my 95 and PCS smock because its been my layer of protection in a lot of shitty conditions and thus acquires an almost sentimental inclement weather value. I still think its a really good bit of kit regardless, the older ones will last a lifetime and the newest ones are even membrane lined and they are fantastic for carrying everything but the kitshen sink in them without feeling like its being torn from your body. Gorka I haven't used properly out yet but I am impressed. I think most of its heralding in the US is due to their not being a smock equivalent in the US forces to spill on to the market but they are different to smocks. I like the trousers, its easier for air to circulate underneath and is a lot looser fitting. Also, the lack of big pockets mean its rarely bogged down with stuff in them making them all in all very comfortable. Once they are wet though you're fucked.
>>
>>760243
I recently got a civilian-made smock and am impressed with it so far.

Probably the only issue with it is it looks goofy for day to day wear.
>>
>>760242
Nah, everything went really smoothly. The sender marked it as a gift, so no problems with the customs either.

(Ebin, parempaan piiloon)
>>
>>760286
ebin
>>
Do you guys know a source for unused woobies that aren't seconds, defective etc.?

I've looked around and all the places I've seen selling new ones suggested you might have problems with them.

Excluding fancy ones like Kifaru's, I mean basic bitch woobies.
>>
File: Gorka 3 Jagel.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
Gorka 3 Jagel.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
Gorka pants. Pants of the Year, all years.

Don't get them in camo, wearing full camo is too autistic.
>>
>>762380
Hows the camo fabric? Is it how thin? I got the impression that it's only one layer of rip stop textile.

I agree on the autistic part.
>>
File: tacticalcop.png (693KB, 1400x1814px) Image search: [Google]
tacticalcop.png
693KB, 1400x1814px
>>755947

All this for $115 rate pls?
>>
none of us in the army actually use sleeping bags, just layer as much as you can throw a poncho + woobie over yourself and sleep in your comfy entrenchment hole. Because packing up if you need to retreat is a bitch in the middle of combat, this way you can throw the poncho under the hood of your pack and get the fuck out of there.
>>
>>755947

>Be in cadets one time
>Bring an ass load of gear
>First time camping
>The oldest guy there gives us a new pack full of outdoor equipment
>"YOUR STUFF IS BAD COMPARED TO THIS"
>Sucked ass
>Ripped gear
>There are these boots though
>This was winter camping
>So warm

Get it if you need it, don't replace your items because a new thing is "Army style"
>>
>>762744
>>
>>762744
ditch the peasant shoes
>>
>>762744
So many pockets.

Microfleece, okay I guess?
Soft shell, not my preference for camping
Shoes, no support, not enough laces, soles look un-grippy
trousers look heavy ?
>>
>>762744
If this only costs that much together, I can guarantee its shit.
>>
>>755993
Estonian army sleeping bag is great, its a tad bit big, but with the added condom (bivi bag) that goes around it, sleeping in -20 is no problem.

Also if you need to stay hidden then army clothes are cheaper and usually really resistant/foolproof, if you have money, then civil clothing is more comfy and whether resistant.
>>
>>762744
-/fa/tier shoes
-Trousers look like fashion copy of proper cargo pants, probably 100% cotton
Fleece and softshell are a good choice, but there's differences between softshells (and between fleeces, though not so much).
>>
>>762770
Soldiers can sleep pretty much anywhere and always (or so I heard), but I'd prefer a little common comfort.
>>
>>763526

The trouser are actually lined inside with fleece has pull strings on base of legs to make it fully wind proof.
>>
>>763559
Why would you be wearing fleece lined cotton trousers? Have you never done exercise? You SWEAT dude!

God-tier combination:

- Woollen / Polypro long johns
- Polycotton hiking / tactical pants
- Waterproof over trousers

Add and remove as necessary.

>Cold and wet
Trousers+overtrousers

>Hot and wet
over trousers

>Cold and dry
long johns + trousers

>Cold and non-active (at camp)
long johns + trousers + over trousers

Even in the winter I would not want to go out with only fleece lined trousers.
>>
>>755993
I have both but only use them for AT(Annual Training). The sleeping bad they issue is good. I slept butt naked in it in below 20 degree weather and would still get a little too hot. The gorka also did the job in keeping warm...
>>
>>762780
I don't understand your story.

You were camping with surplus and he has civilian, he told you civilian was better and he was proven right?
But you said he gave you new things. So was it the new civilian things that sucked?
>>
>>755947
Expect it to be bulky and heavy.

I'd recommend shopping around for equivalent hunters wear.
>>
This is dumb the thread intentionally. Right?
>>
>>765152

That's how bad the shitposting is now

You have to ask if srs
>>
>>765152
>>765166

>pathetic samefag
>>
>>756088
LOL too tall? When I was in Afghanistan, all. The Dutch soldiers were like 6"1 plus. You must be a giant.
>>
>>766036

Pathetic attempt, pathetic newfag
>>
>>755993
Army sleeping bags are nice for their price and warm as fuck, but they're crazy heavy compared to civilian bags.
For outer layer I would personally recommend you try to find a military gore-tex jacket unless you live somewhere with an absolute minimum of rain.
>>
>>762744
looks like a bunch of shit
>>
>>762744
gay/10
>>
>>755947
You could look for a used USMC 4 part sleeping system. I have slept outside in the rain and woke up pretty dry with it. I think it is rated to -32 degrees but could be wrong.
>>
>>759044
DWR is garbage for waterproofing. It's only good for preventing wet out.
>>
>>768673
All 4 parts together are rated below 0 but you won't have fun. The insulation is likely fucked from being stored compressed for years. Goretex bivy will keep rain off you but has 0 ventilation and you'll wake up with your own condensed spit dripping on your face.
>>
>>755954
Gorka will bend wind over and make it it's bitch.

Gorka will not prevent rain.

You can't complain that a non-waterproof material gets wet. That is what is referred to as "not a valid complaint" or even more appropriately, "being actually retarded"
>>
>>755993
I used a army sleeping bag in basic. 10F in MO winter. I had to wear almost every piece of my gear inside the bag system(three bags) to be warm. I am a 225lb male.

I think the bags are shit from being stored in the compacted stuff sacks.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.