[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 7

Was my experience with the boy scouts unique? I just truly was disappointed with my troop.

When they came to our school they said we would learn to live in the woods and get to play with tanks. I immediately joined. When I got there, I found that I was the only child that was not obese or had a severe medical condition. 75% of these kids had inhalers. I knew right away I was surrounded by total fucking losers that had no business whatsoever in the woods. These kids were all genetically worthless and even at age 7 I knew that. I stayed for 8 years, so that I could go camping and hopefully learn something at boy scout summer camp. I was eventually kicked out because I refused to use the buddy system and would go off swimming or to the woods alone because it was too damn boring and I wanted to practice actual woodland skills and they considered that dangerous. I now am a skilled woodsman but no thanks whatsoever to that pussy brigade you call the boy scouts.
>>
>>755158
My troop actually did /out/ stuff and had good leadership, but it was still a bit of an autism-fest.

We had 4 guys in my troop who became scholarship college athletes though, but I think guys like that get into it at a young age in cub scouts, so if you don't have a strong local cub scout program your boy scout troop is gonna be fucked.
>>
>>755158
I had a hell of a time in the BSA because I grew up in rural Kentucky, and luckily we had a troop designated to the little community I grew up in. It actually used to be a pretty happening place with a post office, grocery store, and Masonic Lodge, and I that's why. Eventually the post office closed and we became a part of the nearest city. We used meet in the old Masonic lodge until they tore it down and our troop was disbanded.
>>
>>755168
OP here, I was in Troop 71 in Kentucky. Sup bro.
>>
BSA was fun for me up until I was about 16.
At that point my troop did the same thing every year, we went camping once a month, but each year same month it was the same camp-out.
I got my eagle at 17, and never went back to a meeting afterwords.
Venturing on the other hand, is a Whole lot better.
>>
> kicked out because I refused to use the buddy system

LoL, I got kicked out of summer camp when I was a kid for the same reason. My "buddy" was super boring and I wanted to go off and do my on thing.
>>
>>755158
My mother was our troop leader in the cubscouts because all the guys' dads were either workaholics or dead-beats. We ended up doing a lot of craft stuff, which resulted in me learning how to make and repair gear. I can do anything from fix a ripped seam in a tent to knit a wool cap. In the boyscouts I was in a larger troop that would do more camping stuff, but it was still more or less a craft school set in the outdoors. Beaded keyfob, anyone? Though I did get to fire a rifle and bow, which was pretty cool, it would have been nice if it had anything at all to do with actual hunting. Eventually I quit because I didn't like how everything was structured and felt more like a child sweatshop than recreation. Took me about ten years to realize that none of that had anything to do with actual hiking and camping, and after going out on my own several times, I'm a proficient outdoorsman and will be starting a thru-hike next week with unwavering confidence.
>>
I was a part of 4 different boy scout troops in total, all were part of the BSA

My dad is in the military, so I lived in Germany for a while growing up, and two of my boy scout troops were there (the other two were in Virginia and Pennsylvania). One of the troops I was a part of in Germany was by far my best experience
>Small, only about 15 of us
>scout master was a Sargeant Major in the German mountain corps
>Troop was based out of Oberammergau Germany, which is a small alpine town (also where the NATO school is, hence why the troop was somewhat international)
>Every week it was some kind of hike, firebuilding, or cooking outdoors
>everyone was chill and laid back
>on rainy days we shot bb guns in this long basement hallway
Finished my eagle scout with that troop.

Back in the US it was a much different story. Everything was super "by the book" and honestly there was barely any fun anymore. It was too structured. Fortunately at that point I was already an eagle, and I was pretty good at a lot of stuff, so I had a lot more freedom, and was treated almost like another adult leader.
>>
>>755230
>I can do anything from fix a ripped seam in a tent to knit a wool cap

you're gonna make a helluva wife someday
>>
Wisconsin here, had a great time, but my troop had only one or two splerge kids and the rest were normal athletic teens who wanted to do /out/ shit.
>>
I've took some Boy Scouts caving before. They were either really pathetic, one kid who was probably close to 16 was freaking out because he had to squeeze through a hole and drop down a ledge that was about his height, or annoying know it alls like one of them who argued with me over white nose syndrome. I'm a god damn bat biologist, shut the fuck up kid and listen. All their fathers were overweight too and one guy even told me that "I can totally hike 20 miles no problem, but this is killing me." It was a piss easy cave too.

Maybe I just had bad luck with that troop, but it really seemed to inflate their heads a lot and it when it came time to do something mildly dangerous they would end up pissing themselves.
>>
File: image.jpg (453KB, 1452x1452px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
453KB, 1452x1452px
I'm glad I stayed in and got my eagle. My troop was pretty decent too. The leaders really believed in the whole "boy led" mentality, so most of the decisions were made by scouts.

I didn't really learn any major /out/ skills though. Mostly little things to make life easier. Half the time I was the one teaching the younger scouts outdoors skills. I also learned real fast that some people just aren't made for the camp life. There were one or two kids who would get lost walking 50 feet from camp.

I think it's really good for teaching leadership skills if you take advantage of it though. And you do get to go to cool places and do things a lot of kids normally don't get to do. I think a lot of it depends on the troop you're in.

Pic is me on top of mount shavano in Colorado being a douche at my last summer camp.
>>
>>755648
Another Colorado Eagle here, same situation with the troop.
>>
>>755158
You were not in BSA at age 7, You lie so you were probably never BSA.
There is not enough space on the internet for me to relate/recount my BSA experiences.
>>
>>755196
I was in 376 I think. I dont remember it was disbanded so long ago.
>>
>>755676
Hey retard, it is cub scouts and the cub scouts in my town mixed with the boy scouts, we all met at the same time in the same church and we all later went into that boy scout troop. If you had some reading comprehension you would see I stayed until I was 15. Was I a cub scout at 15? Kill your bloodline and then yourself.
>>
>>755685
You're just a pussy OP. I don't believe you still. I think you were molested and it probably wasn't by anyone related to BSA
Most likely you were the fat kid and the other BSA's made fun of you or didnt include you.
I also don't believe you are an accomplished /out/ist.
I certainly have never met anyone involved with BSA that would badmouth the organization.
>>
>>755676
That burn might need medical attention, good thing I was a boy scout.
>>
>>755691
What's your problem dude? Did mommy have to chaperone you to all your troop meets or was it just most of them?
>>
>>755158
>would go off swimming or to the woods alone because nobody iin the troop would play with me.
FTFY
>>
>>755695
My problem is somebody knocking the world's single best organization with slurs and lies.
>>
>>755697
First of all, it's not the world's best organization by any means. But it is good.
>>
File: getaloadofthisguy.jpg (22KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
getaloadofthisguy.jpg
22KB, 240x260px
>>755676
>There is not enough space on the internet for me to relate/recount my BSA experiences.
>>
It all depends what troop you join. A handful in each state are actually worthwile and enjoyable. I have fond memories of backpacking about anywhere you can imagine. The more high adventure activities , the better kids.
>>
>>755350
Yeah, I knew that was coming.

But honestly, it's nice to be able to do things on my own that other people have to pay for because they never took the time to develop the skills on their own. And let's face it, when it comes right down to it, that's a big part of what /out/ is about.
>>
I was in the Scandinavian Blue Scouts, which is unisex, for 8 years.

When I reflect back on it, we did a lot of cool shit. By age 10 I knew how to handle an axe, was an avid wwittler and could light a campfire with a single match. We were taught these things, and had to take a test to get a badge that said we knew the proper safety protocols.

In the later years, it became kinda para-militaristic. 50km night hikes where we were hunted by groups of seniors, survival trips, and a shitload of drinking.
>>
>>755837
>50km night hikes where we were hunted by groups of seniors, survival trips, and a shitload of drinking.
Sounds fun.
Did you ever >hunt the hunters?
>>
dont want to sound like an edgy teen or anything but face the facts, when i was in cub then boy scouts my troop leader along with one of the other dads molested me. nothing serious no a**rape but they did touch me and make me touch them several times and especially on overnight camps.
>>
>>755158
I lucked out. My scout master was a state trooper and an active back packer. We didn't follow the book or council, there was zero religious element and didn't really feel like boyscouts which is great because most troops baby the kids. Going for my 3rd trip to the adirondacks soon with this troop.

I'm an eagle scout now and an active /out/doorsman thanks to this troop
>>
Montana Eagle here... My experience was great but you can see the culture shift upon us. My based little mountain town troop is based no longer.
>>
>>755879
Is based Paul still alive?
>>
>>755892
Not quite sure what you're getting at.
>>
>>755697
OP here
>slurs and lies
>half the thread had the exact same experience as me

Like I said, kill your bloodline and then yourself.

>not accomplished /out/
>mfw going to be in the middle of a forest fire in just a couple more weeks

Just die. It is only the weakest of society that believe hard things are unbelievable. That is why I KNOW you are that fat little baby back bitch that made boy scouts suck.
>>
>>755837
What country were you in and when did you quit?
>>
>>756009
Blow it out your ass OP. You're calling me a fat little bitch because you had no friends and scouting didn't work for you?
Start of the best years of my life which are still rolling along.

Have fun in that fire. Hopefully Darwin will kick in.
>>
>>756185
>no friends

Bro, you're talking to a firefighter. People beg to suck my cock.
>>
>>756272
I don't want to suck your dick but can I tickle your asshole? Help a bro /out/.
>>
>>756272
>firefighter
so basically you sit around doing nothing 99.9% of the time?
>>
>>755158
A bunch of Liberal goddamn hippy faggots and soccer moms took over the leadership and fagged it up. It used to be better.
>>
>>756272
I bet you're a volunteer lmao. No one like you guys because of the attitude you have.
>>
Anyone else here summer camp staff? I've taught High Ropes and Climbing at a camp for the past 5 years. Moving to a new camp this year though. Job got outsourced to a private company which only hires Mormons from Utah. The only in-council staff they'll take are 16 year old CITs that won't have the guts/knowledge to tell them that they're destroying the camp. (Last year we had over 4k scouts + outside groups, this year they're looking at 1k scouts (Which is a huge number to them) + outside groups (Which they don't know shit about))

New camp has a shorter season and won't have the outside groups. On the brighter side they're sending me to get a bunch of certs the last camp couldn't be assed to send me for.

>>755158
A person's experience with the BSA is highly dependent on their unit. Sounds like you had a shit unit.
>>
>>756477
>>756282
>>756276
70k in 90 days pussies

That's called being good at something.
>>
>>756608
Did not mean to sage, was saging another thread. Yeah I sure did. Troop 71 was a total failure. Luckily I trained myself and moved out west and started fighting fires a few years ago and now I make amazing money for just a summer.

In my opinion, if you are athletic and intelligent, spent your time in the wood learning real things, not playing fag tag with boy scouts.
>>
>>755158
It depends almost entirely on who your troop leader is, sucks you got stuck with a shitty troop

My experience in Boy Scouts was great
>>
>>756624
>implying money earns you respect

>implying you do your job by yourself

>implying you aren't leaching off of my tax dollars.
>>
>>756624
Well no, that means that you work long days doing backbreaking labor and the only way they could get someone to cut a fire break for 16 hours straight everyday for multiple days in a row is to pay them that much.
>>
>>755341
I got my Eagle in the Far East Council in Japan. I had a similar experience when I returned to the U.S. and got back into scouting in Northern Virginia. My dad is also in the military, he's /out/ as fuck.
>>
>>756719
>leaching off my tax dollars

Well, I guess we can just let your house burn down if ever that should happen.
>>
>>756768
Good. I would honestly rather that happen than deal with a volunteer fireman. I'll just go live innawoods.
>>
>>756768
If you were really a forest firefighter you'd already be on your way to Alberta but you're not.
You're a big pussy with a vendetta against BSA
Go on 4chan
Start thread knocking BSA because you were picked on.
Get bravado bragging about how /out/ you are
All of a sudden you're a volunteer firefighter making over 250k/yr

Face it, you're full of shit. Fortunately most of us here know 99.9% of everything here is BS.

I wish I could give you a well trolled award but this thread really isn't even that.
>>
>>756785
You are aware that Canada has its own fire crews and I don't think they have nor do I think it's likely that they'll go crying to the US for help. At most they'll hire some American airtankers.
>>
>>756826
Being this fucking stupid.
>>
>>756826
Canadacucks and Amerilards send crews to each other's wildfires all the time. I'm not even red carded and I know this.
>>
The problems with Boy Scouts
>there are too many parents around so you can't haze off the losers and the pussies
>parents use meetings for free babysitting once a week
>parents send kids with behavioral problems to join in an attempt to normalize them a bit
>the older you get the more annoying the youngest scouts become

High school athletics was better desu
t. eagle
>>
OP here, you are some sad sorry individuals. This is cool, I get to come back every 24 hours or so and see 1 or 2 complete fools angry that one single troop happened to be full of pussies and they are taking it out on somebody they would never make eye contact with. It really just makes me swell with pride knowing how offended your shitty egos are, and I just get to tune in every once and a while and laugh. Kill yourselves.
>>
>>756927
We also have agreements with New Zealand and Australia.
>>
>>756785
I'm not OP, and I'm not the other forest firefighter. I'm an eagle scout, and you're just an angry person who likes to talk shit about people who make a living providing necessary services.

I really don't know why you're so assmad, but I don't really care. I just thought I ought to set your business straight.
>>
>>756756
>NoVA

I did a year in troop 1865
>>
It's not just you.
We never really did anything, we learned how to craft. The only time we went out was to cook soup, hike to cook soup, and then when they taught us how to make a fire, they did the thing in King of the Hill with Bobby, a fan and plastic "fire". I fucking quit.
>>
>>755158
I could never get the leadership to take me seriously, so I could never advance. It was a total plutocracy and the only people who were able to go up the ranks were people who's parents were scout leaders and most of them had special privileges becuase of it. It didn't help that the leadership was completley incompetent when it came to anything beyond the most basic of tasks.

Eventually I reached a limit to my frustration threw a piss fit about it and, god forbid, I started swearing. I got kicked out after that because a bunch of parents complained after their teenage kids complained about it and I refused to write letters of apology for swearing in proximity of their precious little angles.

To be fair I had fun and I learned a lot of useful shit, I just couldn't actually advance within the system and that was incredibly frustrating.

tl;dr I should have never transferred troops when I graduated from Cub Scouts. My troop was awful. If you have a good troop with leadership that actually cares about anyone but their own snot nosed brats then you'll have a great experience. Otherwise you'll have some fun and end up being frustrated as fuck in the end.
>>
>>757993
Oh, I forgot to mention. It kind of bothered me how religious the whole organization was. I kinda felt ostracized whenever I opted out of sermons and I was heavily pressured into participating when it came to prayers and other stuff like that.

It could have been worse. At the very least I wasn't gay. One of the older kids in my troop had to stay bolted in the closet the entire time or he would have gotten kicked out. He ended up quitting a while after I got booted out just because he didn't want to deal with it anymore.
>>
I had pretty good experiences, went to Northern Tier twice, Philmont twice, went to Mexico, got eagle, had great times
>>
My troop was great. We were in rural Maine and there were only 5 of us. We were all /out/ kind of people and did some more of the harder /out/ camping trips. When a fat loser kid joined they usually quit because it was too hard. A couple however stuck with it and managed to become /out/. We're all still friends to this day and camp a lot.
>>
>>755158
Some of the best times ever happened at Camp Resolute

I did get banished from my troop temporarily for taking one of the kids and putting his cot, with him sleeping on it onto a raft and floating him into the lake.
Yeah, now I get how dangerous it was but at the time it was funny as shit.
>>
>>755158
I was in troop 4060 and I had a pretty good time tthroughout yes there was rules and annoying people with social issues. However despite that I had a free excuse to go camping every other weekend and take a couple of dope trips a year. So all in all it was good.
>>
>>755158
I was in a huge troop with over 100 kids, and this meant everyone got the experience they wanted, there was a group of 30 or so that went backpacking and did really cool trips, and the rest were a mix of fat kids who were in it for the badges, older guys who were there just to go to summer camp because the high schoolers had their own section of camp where we drank and slept all day, and the rest were there because their parents couldn't handle their weapons grade ADHD.
>>
>>755158
There's a lot of troops that end up being what you describe, but there are still good ones out there. All the adults in my troop didn't care all too much about the bullshit parts of it and focused on outdoorsmanship and getting kids to Eagle scout.

As for summer camp, it depends on where you go. I ended up working at one in NY state teaching orienteering, wilderness survival, all the basic /out/ stuff, and it tended to be that you got out what you put in. All the kids who actually had an interest took the initiative and did learn something.
>>
>>755158
>get to play with tanks.
You didn't get to play with tanks?
My troop had its own M1 Abrams.
>>
File: Backpatch-Arrowhead.jpg (52KB, 800x814px) Image search: [Google]
Backpatch-Arrowhead.jpg
52KB, 800x814px
Any real scouts in /out/?
>>
All the best troop leaders I had were dismissed by the council. I guess they don't want 20- and 30-something single men leading a troop, even if they were former eagle scouts. Same thing with other adults, they didn't approve of it.
So we ended up with a soccer mom who had us do nothing but weekly meetings where we played shit like freeze tag and did art projects for an hour before going back home.

Then I joined a venture crew and had the time of my life.
>>
>>760082
Oh fuck off. the ordeal was child labor and you know it.
>>
>>760111
>venture crew
So Boy Scouts but girls can come too and no young fags more /out/ and you can still get eagle scout?

Fuck! Why didnt I do this??
>>
>>760082
WWW nigguh...

Also a LNT trainer.
>>
>>755158
>penis inspection day, errday
↑Pretty much this↑
>>
My troop was pretty good. Great scoutmaster, unfortunately he's leaving soon I've heard. It's also down to about a dozen kids, lowest in years.

As a camp counselor in a large camp, most of the smaller troops were good, the big mega troops were always the worst. Massive egos, expect you to be their bitch, etc.

Overall? I'm glad I took part. Helped me become a leader and I feel worthwhile since I earned my Eagle. If there are anons lurking that haven't earned it yet, (even though you're underage b&) go for your Eagle, better now than later. Get off your lazy ass and do it.
>>
>>760159
All youth run and you can stay until 25 iirc
Most venture scouts are adults, so you can do a hell of a lot more.
>>
>>760226
>25
Finger slipped, meant 21
>>
>>760082
>Getting that deep into a cult

Wew lad
>>
>>760158
>the ordeal was child labor and you know it
well played scout
>>
>>760182
>Great scoutmaster
Like a lot of things in life, I think the quality of our scouting experience may come down to the quality of the leadership. Looking back, three of the men I dealt with most in scouting were great human beings. High quality leaders that managed to teach us without molesting us.
>>
>>755341
>scout master was a Sargeant Major in the German mountain corps
>Troop was based out of Oberammergau

Fuck yeah anon that sounds awesome did he teach you any actual army stuff that wasn't in the scout book?
>>
>>755648

Holy shit anon, what've you got stuffed in your pockets?

>More flags
>>
>>755860

You're that goofy cosplay guy, aren't you
>>
File: 1432431940432.jpg (2MB, 1000x1879px) Image search: [Google]
1432431940432.jpg
2MB, 1000x1879px
>>760306
>Holy shit anon, what've you got stuffed in your pockets?
>>
>>755648

>boy led

I think that really is the trick to scouts. My experience went from a more boy led troop when my older brother was in it, AKA, go piss around in the woods atleast one weekend a month, and then some douche canoe scoutmaster took over after my first year and turned it into his personal labor force for service projects he cared about.

Ideally, it SHOULD be a bunch of kids planning shit they want to do, with enough adult supervision to make sure they don't go out and hurt/kill themselves, and point them in the right direction if they have an idea but aren't sure how to pull it off. Sadly, all the stuff people are moaning about in this thread has become the new standard rather than the exception.
>>
I dunno, my Scouts experience wasn't that great.

My cub scout troop mostly sat around a bingo hall and did craft stuff, then our troop leader moved away and the council wanted to fold us into a neighboring troop but that leader was more interested in running things like a church youth group. My older brother stuck it out longer but I bailed.

In my area scouts was kind of more for town/city kids anyway. I lived right next to a huge parcel of BLM forest so my friends and I could go /out/ whenever we wanted without having to join an organization.
>>
>>760302
Not a lot of "tactical army stuff" but a lot of practical mountain and hiking skills that otherwise wouldn't have been in the manual.
>>
I had a pretty fun time, but that was because my troop was in a transitional phase

When I first joined it was a bunch of kids going out in the woods every once in a while and dicking around for a weekend with no structure. Once a year we would have a shooting weekend which was fucking awesome. I live in a military town so a lot of the parents had sweet guns to shoot and the troop's old scoutmaster had a parcel of land in the middle of nowhere that we could shoot up cans and shit.

Unfortunately what ended up happening though was that the scoutmaster we had started to hang out too much with the local council guys and went full no fun allowed mode. My last couple years were mediocre but hey that's what high school athletics are for. Definitely don't regret it, and I'm a card carrying Eagle Scout to this day

I just wish I didn't work so much so I could be more involved with my old troop and get it back on track. It's also because of all the fucking hoops I would have to jump through to get back into it
>>
>>762451

What kind of stuff? Any idea where you'd go to learn shit like this as an adult?
>>
I enjoyed scouts and stayed until I submitted my Eagle Scout application the day before my 18th birthday. We'd go camping 4 weekends times a year and then there was the week long summer camp. I got to sleep in a quinzee for a night when it went down to -15 F which was neat.

I haven't really gone tent camping since then which I regret.

One of my favorite memories was going to Philmont on a scholarship for inner city kids. Everyone who went on the trip were kids from the inner city who weren't really big into the whole wilderness stuff which meant it was tons of fun. I never saw a person of color that wasn't in our group.
>>
File: camp patches.jpg (69KB, 290x418px) Image search: [Google]
camp patches.jpg
69KB, 290x418px
>>755158

48 year old here, so my experience in Boy Scouts (Troop 1463 Detroit Area Council) was back in the late 1970s - early 80s and while we did the merit badge thing, it was mostly just going camping once a month where the dads let us run around in the woods and do our own exploring.

I had a lot of fun but by the time I was in jr.high, (8th or 9th grade) our troop had decreased from six patrols with almost a dozen kids each, to just three patrols with only 6-8 kids, so our troop folded and while we could have migrated to a neighboring troop, my buddies and I just quit at that point (I had made it to Star).

Years later, two of my buddies had sons of their own who went into Scouting and one troop was pretty cool and was a lot like it was for us, but this was because the dads were insured it would be that way.

My other buddy’s son bailed during Webelos, as there were all kinda moms involved and camp outs consisted of them sitting around on their asses telling the kids not get lost or dirty or have any fun, while expecting the couple of dads to wait on them hand & foot…

tl;dr if the dads are cool and keep the moms out, Scouting is still fun but once moms are involved, it turns into lame “family” camping trips that suck.
>>
>>755350
>implying that isnt a useful if not essential outdoor skill.
>>
>>764637

>women trying to raise boys as girls
>>
I had to quit boy scouts because the scoutmaster was stalking my mother and I also broke a kid's testicle.
>>
>>765073
>broke a kid's testicle

Story tiem anon. Come on, out with it.
>>
>>760082
I never really got involved in OA but the ordeal was a lot of fun. Me and my cousin did it together but we both had a cross country meet on the Friday of it so we showed up late. We get there and we missed the storytelling with the bow and other objects or whatever. Set up our tarps under the stars in a field, a perfect night, no bugs, no light pollution, just the right temp. Sleep great feeling more relaxed than ever. Wake up and realize misty of the kids here are like 12-14 years old while we were 17~. All of the kids here have swallowed cult or ominous stories about horrible rituals they would ensure, all frightened children, one nervously throws up in some bushes. Spend whole day clearing some road of overgrowth, eat shitty cheese bread, spoiled with big supper. Later some ominous ceremony that only comes off as trying to hard to be super cereal. Pass and leave soon after. Never do an OS thing again.

Good times.
>>
>>755230
my parents were really adamant I learn to be self sufficient. I also repair and make my own gear. I have a friend who had to have his sister sew on a patch on his backpack. I simply cannot understand that. He also is a scout leader btw.
>>
>>764315
>what kind of stuff
River crossing, how to hike more efficiently, how to set up large canvas tents, edible plants, things like that. He'd take us snow showing in the winter and we'd have fire building competitions in the woods. We also learned a lot about trail marking and scout signs (symbols you make with rocks, sticks, etc) and we would basically do challenges where one group would need to find another based on trail markers they left. I feel like in America if it wasn't directly condoned by the handbook, they were too scared to teach it.

To be honest it was all really laid back, out scoutmaster had us spend more time outside just doing practical hands on stuff rather than doing things by the book.

No idea where you'd learn that stuff as an adult. My best bet would be look things up that you want to learn, and then just go practice it out in the woods.
>>
>>755158
>mine was similar, be me
>Hear the same things you do, join up with the cubscouts.
>I'm an actual autistic ( sperg level, not tard ) but looking back I may have been one of if not the most normal kid there.
>most /out/ thing we did was ONE daycamp involving rifle shooting and sliding down a waterslide made with tarps into a lake and some other stuff I can't clearly remember such as hikes/swim.
>Years later I'm one of the few boys that becomes a boyscout
>about two months later become "eagle scout" after what was supposed to be a "tough test" ( all the boys my age had to read a slip of paper that read "Wah tah goo Siam" and tell the troop leader what it sounded like ( which was "what a goose I am )
>Week long camp; with the troop; looking back I may have been a bit more normal than the rest. I try to fit in with the weirdos.
>One troop member I recently has a criminal record, was banned from playing with knives and tells me about it.
>Go back to my tent a bit later. Note on my stuff with no context and I'm unable to figure out what it means.
>Another troop member tries to make sense of it, tells me I am being blackmailed and takes it to leader.
>Leader agrees it is blackmail; manhunt to find out culprit.
>I have a sperg attack being hyperfocused on the definition of "blackmail" and unable to figure out what is wanted from me. Note made no sense for blackmail.
>I wind up quitting scouts a few weeks later after thinking things through.
>The kicker: The note only called me a "coocoo-head" and I wound up panicking because everybody made me think it was a big deal by telling me I was being blackmailed.

After my experiences I don't think I'd ever let my kid(s) join the boyscouts. I'd much rather let them join the sc/out/s where they could share experiences/ask questions before or after taking them out into the woods and teaching them what I know now. My cubscout troop never even had the chance to earn patches because we were too busy selling popcorn.
>>
>>768463
>Wah tah goo Siam
That was to join OA, not to become an eagle scout.
>>
File: 1463463978374.png (534KB, 720x455px) Image search: [Google]
1463463978374.png
534KB, 720x455px
>>756937
>Mfw average age in troop goes down ~3 years
>mfw based 75 yo Scoutmaster retires and helicopter parents take over troop
>>
You just had an unfortunate experience, OP. I dealt with the same kind of stuff when I first got in. Now I'm a college student rocking one of the most /out/ summer jobs imaginable. I posted in the /out jobs/ thread earlier, but just saw your thread.

Get. Out. To. Philmont.

Either that, or staff at another high adventure camp. It's awesome.
>>
Probably a little different cos I'm in the UK but I really enjoyed my time with the Scouts. I've done a bunch of fun stuff, go on residentials when I was in the Cubs, camps (of course) and learnt a bunch of new skills. Whilst stuff like the younger scouts were annoying, it was good to take them in and actually turn em into a decent guy.
>>
>>765893
Did they let you speak during your ordeal? That was the worst part for me. I could deal with the fact that it rained that night so I woke up soggy and cold, or that we didn't get any food to eat just water, but not being to talk felt really unnecessary when you are trying to set up a summer camp which becomes so much harder when you have to use hand gestures instead of speaking.
>>
Is woodbadge a meme? A lot of troops that come camping have leaders that always talk about it.
>>
>>765893
My OA Ordeal was pretty fun too. I was like 16 I think when I did it. The whole storytelling and ceremony stuff was pretty cheesy, but sleeping under the stars was super nice. The OA scouts that lead us through the stuff the next day eventually stopped caring and let us talk to each other. I was starving by the end though, that shitty bread did not cut it. all in all OA was cool, but I never really did anything else past that.
>>
>>755158

>Sailing along florida keys
>camp once a month with min. 5k hikes.
>dem shooting merit badges
>big ass canada rafting trip (I didn't make that one)
>milsurp errrywhere

Op, I hear what you posted a lot, so I'm wondering if my scout troop was unique.
>>
>>755892

425?
>>
>>755158
Some troops are better than others

I had a pretty good time, They had monthly campouts, met some good friends, had my first fist fight..
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.