[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Milsrup gear any good for /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Today i discovered that a store near me sells a fuckton of Milsurp items, cheap too.

What are /out/ists opinions on this kind of gear for camping? Any experience?

They seem to sell most everything, things that caught my eye:

A molle backpack that is not camo.
An harness of some kind. Alice?
Widemouth metal canteen with those funny cups with handles.
Mess kit with cutlery. (The square folding handle one)
Entrenching tool with sheath.
Folding saw.
A fuckton of K-bars with a fuckton of sheaths.

I could get all of the above for aprox. 140 U$S.

What are the pros and cons of using Milsurp? I mean, apart from looking like a total preptard.
>>
File: 1459778485608.jpg (55KB, 960x904px) Image search: [Google]
1459778485608.jpg
55KB, 960x904px
>What are the pros and cons of using Milsurp?

pros:
Cheap
Well made
reliable
has character

Cons:
Some russian cheeki breeki probably shit in that russian issued canteen you're drinking your high mountain milk oolong out of.
>>
>>753787
How much do the knoifes at these places run? You got me thinkin now...

And everybody always says cheap consumer goods < millsurp < epensive consumer goods. So if you are paying cheap consumer goods prices for millsurp goods, then you are straight.
>>
>>753787
If you are starting use whatever you have in your house and go out for a weekend. Take note of everything that didn't work and what did, or what can be improved. Only then buy gear.
>>
>>753795
The knives were the more expensive items by far, the k-bars were 40 bucks. Most everything else was dirt cheap.
>>
>>753791
What's wrong with that? Just wash it. use alcohol even
>>
>>753791
I should have clarified that this is Uruguay, which has a bunch of troops in DRC, which is a breeding ground for malaria, siphilis, cholera, all that fun stuff.

I wouldn´t even touch those canteens without boiling the living shit out of them first.

Same with the mess kits, even though the looks like they were never used.
>>
>>753808
>which has a bunch of troops in DRC
What does that mean?
>>
>>753787
>Is Milsrup gear any good for /out/?

Of course that is the prime reason it was made in the first place. You just need to pass over the items that are wore out or are designed for special jobs that you'll never be doing or can't refit for your own purposes. The only con is not knowing how to use something properly.
>>
>>753808
>>753791
Normal cleaning methods prevent any problem with that sort of thing even IF it was spread all over it.
>>
love me some milsurp, ilcollect my /out/ relevant milsurp together tomorrow and get some pics together. it had advantages, and it has cons. but if you dont have a fascination with military/military history, theres no reason to go milsurp over comercially available gear at all
>>
>>754293
Democratic Republic of The Congo. Uber nignog land.
>>
>>753787
Yeah just boil the canteens and apply alcohol for overkilling purposes. Things are mostly in the heavy side but they are built for eternity. I wouldn't get all of my gear there but if it's cheap I don't see the problem. I'd stay away from the camo shit tho, but just because of the aesthetics involved.
>>
>>753787
>What are the pros and cons of using Milsurp?
>Can work pretty ok for stuff like bush wacking, but doesn't work to well for stuff like mountaineering.
>being UL is a distant dream
>if you bring an entrenching tool, everybody instantly knows you're a newfag
>>
Milsurp usually works well for the price. Most of it is quite basic but does what you need it to do. Some of it is even quite durable, although some milsurp can be pretty shitty as well. Milsurp isn;t the best of the best, but it is good value for money.

The biggest downsides of milsurp I think are the weight (usually it isnt really lightweight stuff) and the fact it usually looks tacticool as fuck.
>>
>>753805
A 40 buck kbar is a good deal
>>
>>754316
White person who worked for a mining company in DRC here, can confirm this.

Only worse places in the world are Monrovia and Kakata in Liberia.
>>
>>755032
Monrovian feller here. You take that back!
>>
What's the best website for Cold War surplus, like British DMS boots?
>>
>>755032
What was it like working over there? Do you have any stories?
>>
>>755032
also, are you dirty white trash?
>>
>>755625
>White person who worked for a mining company in DRC here
>His major achievement is being born white
>>755625 He already said it, didn't need to remind him. Don't be mean.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.